Why not the Rotterdam sailing the Grand World Voyage rather than the Amsterdam?

rkacruiser

The thread concerning the speculation that the Rotterdam will replace the Oosterdam sailing from Tampa during 2017-2018 brought this question to mind. Rotterdam and Amsterdam are still considered twin Flagships and other than decor, their interiors are the same, I think. Mechanically, the Rotterdam has screws on shafts for propulsion while Amsterdam has azipods. Not sure about Amsterdam's speed, but the Rotterdam was known before she had her official name as the "Fastdam" because of her anticipated potential speed (which she achieved, I have been told).

I would think those who regularly sail on the World Cruise might enjoy having a "different" vessel on which to enjoy their Winter adventure.

Any thoughts or opinions?

The thread concerning the speculation that the Rotterdam will replace the Oosterdam sailing from Tampa during 2017-2018 brought this question to mind. Rotterdam and Amsterdam are still considered twin Flagships and other than decor, their interiors are the same, I think. Mechanically, the Rotterdam has screws on shafts for propulsion while Amsterdam has azipods. Not sure about Amsterdam's speed, but the Rotterdam was known before she had her official name as the "Fastdam" because of her anticipated potential speed (which she achieved, I have been told).

I would think those who regularly sail on the World Cruise might enjoy having a "different" vessel on which to enjoy their Winter adventure.

Look at it from the other side. Perhaps those who regularly sail out of Tampa might enjoy having a chance to sail on Rotterdam too.

BTW, the ships top speed really doesn't have anything to do with this. The cruise will take 111 days regardless of the theoretical top speed of the ship.

Look at it from the other side. Perhaps those who regularly sail out of Tampa might enjoy having a chance to sail on Rotterdam too.

BTW, the ships top speed really doesn't have anything to do with this. The cruise will take 111 days regardless of the theoretical top speed of the ship.

I do not disagree that those who sail from Tampa would also enjoy a "new ship" once in awhile.

Would I expect the Rotterdam to sail at her maximum possible speed? Well, of course not! Fuel expense considerations would prevent that!

My original question remains unanswered, I believe.

The Rotterdam has always been the flagship, but since Stein Kruse had the 'great' idea to remove the aft pool and put in a not functioning retreat in the back, the Amsterdam became the flagship and the Rotterdam became the 'Schmuckship'...

There has been some "switching of ships" in HAL GWV history, just not in the last seven years.

HAL completed its first Grand World Voyage in 1958 on Statendam IV. There has been a GWV every year after that. Rotterdam VI joined the fleet in November 1997 and less than two months later, in January 1998, sailed on her first Grand World Voyage for HAL. Her predecessor, Rotterdam V, completed her last GWV in 1997 after a long string of such voyages(Statendam V, now with P&O Australia, did the 1994 GWY).

RTDM VI did it again in 1999, 2000 and 2001. Amsterdam, which joined the HAL fleet in 2000, conducted her first GWV in 2002 and did it again in 2003, followed by Prinsendam in 2004, 2005 and 2006. Amsterdam embarked on the 2007 and 2008 GWV's while Rotterdam once again took over in 2009. Amsterdam was back in 2010 and has done the GWV every year since then

There has been some "switching of ships" in HAL GWV history, just not in the last seven years.

HAL completed its first Grand World Voyage in 1958 on Statendam IV. There has been a GWV every year after that. Rotterdam VI joined the fleet in November 1997 and less than two months later, in January 1998, sailed on her first Grand World Voyage for HAL. Her predecessor, Rotterdam V, completed her last GWV in 1997 after a long string of such voyages(Statendam V, now with P&O Australia, did the 1994 GWY).

RTDM VI did it again in 1999, 2000 and 2001. Amsterdam, which joined the HAL fleet in 2000, conducted her first GWV in 2002 and did it again in 2003, followed by Prinsendam in 2004, 2005 and 2006. Amsterdam embarked on the 2007 and 2008 GWV's while Rotterdam once again took over in 2009. Amsterdam was back in 2010 and has done the GWV every year since then

Thanks for the time line. I knew the Rotterdam had done WCs, but wasn't sure exactly when. It is nice to read a bit of HAL history!

One big difference on the interior, the Amsterdam has many more shower - only staterooms at the balcony plus level - for those of us who have trouble climbing in and out of a tub - and don't want to take the few accessible staterooms available. There only about 4 on the Rotterdam and a couple of dozen on the Amsterdam. How would you like climbing in and out of a tub for 4 months, especially while at sea, because the ship doesn't offer enough of the shower only choice? Plus the tub is usually a whirlpool, making it almost impossible for short people to even access. Just my opinion as a reason.

The Rotterdam aft pool was plundered. Why this was done is beyond me. I wouldn't want a world cruise on her, although she's a lovely ship, without an aft pool. Great hang out area with a cooling off jump in...

would the Rotterdam be able to replace the Veendam to Bermuda? Most importantly, dock in Hamilton?

I'm pretty sure the answer is no. My understanding is Hamilton has quite a rigid length limit of 750 feet. The Veendam is 719, the Rotterdam 780. The 781 foot Crystal Symphony went to Dockyards.

Roy

The Amsterdam not only has more shower-only outside cabins (yeah) but more closets in most staterooms. Not sure about the below passenger deck storage facilities on the R'dam but know that the A'dam has massive storage, coolers, and freezers. Having the azipods makes maneuvering in ports and docking so much smoother and easier plus having the rear pool is wonderful - just ask Jeff.

Hope they keep the A'dam doing the world cruises as have always had major issues when on the R'dam such as no AC, plumbing problems, no hot water for days with nothing similar on the A'dam after hundreds of days on her.

From Cruise Critic reviewers:

Amsterdam

Ranked #1 of 15 Holland America Ships

83% Loved It

Rotterdam

Ranked #10 of 15 Holland America Ships

71% Loved It

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?CruiseLineID=21&section=Reviews

There are many reasons not to like the Rotterdam. The poolette is ridiculous. Cabins and passengers were added without increasing public space. The lanai cabins take away more public space. Holland America does not sell out the world cruise, why would they use a larger ship? If I were Holland America, I would be embarrassed to call Rotterdam a flag ship or the standard bearer.

We have cruised on over 60 different vessels (of 14 cruise lines) and the Rotterdam is our least favorite! Why? In warm weather areas (like from Tampa) the ship is an unmitigated mess! You have a vessel with about 1500 souls. in hot weather, with only a single small swimming pool! For many ancient HAL cruisers who never go outside, this is not an issue. But if HAL wants to attract younger cruisers (that would be under age 70 for HAL) you should have more then 1 tiny pool! The last time we were on the Rotterdam there were about a half dozen kids/teens who literally took over the single pool...all day long....everyday. Some of our fellow seniors actually complained to the CD because they were unable to do their normal pool exercises...and ladies complained because they could not simply stand in the pool without getting splashed (by the kids) and having "their hair runined." The CD told the complainers there was nothing he could do as those kids had as much right to use the pool as the seniors.

When the Rotterdam VI was launched, she was a Classic HAL vessel with beautiful lines and a size that suits most HAL lovers. But then HAL decided to do their best to ruin a decent ship.....so they could add a handful of additional cabins. What a stupid money grabbing decision (repeated on one other HAL vessel). And then the same money grabbing idiots in Seattle....further compounded their error by designing a large bird bath at the aft end (where there used to be a pool). Perhaps there is logic to having a 4 inch deep pool area....and we would love for the designer to explain.

Hank

Several years ago Carnivore ripped out the aft pool on Veendam also just to add a few more cabins....ridiculous especially for a ship that sailed Bermuda & Carib cruises. After sailing on HAL since the 1970's we stopped. Whoever comes up with these cutbacks should be thrown overboard!

I can't imagine 4 months on a ship w/ 1 pool doing a warm climate cruise especially after reading reviews about Amsterdam & Rotterdam recently - the ships are not aging well apparently!

We have completed three WCs on the Amsterdam and, like the rest of the 83%, love the ship. I can not image crossing the South Pacific without an aft pool. Also, the lanai concept would not be welcomed IMHO by most WCers .. the promenade deck is where all the exercising in the fresh air takes place - daily - for all 115 or so days.

We are signed up for our fourth WC and would most likely cancel if that ship were to replace the current one as two of our regular routines would be hampered significantly.

harry