Don't Be Loyal to Royal Cause Royal won't Be Loyal To You

I am writing to let loyal cruisers of RCL know what RCL is doing to its loyal cruisers. I am Diamond Plus with 547 points & was working my way towards Pinnacle. However, I am now abandoning that quest because Royal has been downgrading the way it treats its loyal cruisers. Diamond Plus cruisers used to be admitted to the Concierge/Suite Lounges on the ships along with Pinnacle & Suite Guests. However, on more & more RCL Ships, Diamond Plus Guests are no longer allowed in the Concierge/Suite Lounges & are only allowed in the Diamond Lounge. This creates several problems & shows a lack of respect by Royal to its most loyal customers. First, Diamond Plus Guests can no longer sit & visit with Pinnacle & Suite friends that they made on previous cruises when they were allowed in the Concierge/Suite Lounge. This is very disconcerting & upsetting. Second, because the Diamond Pluses have been sent back to the Diamond Lounge, the Lounge has become very overcrowded with very long lines or wait times to get a drink & no seats to be had once you get a drink. Third, since some Pinnacle Guests want to sit with their Old Diamond Plus Friends, they go to the Diamond Lounge, making it even more overcrowded. I think this new policy by RCL was ill conceived, has caused many problems,& has caused many loyal cruisers to feel let down by RCL. I know I feel that way & have let RCL management know this. If you agree, let me know, but also let RCL management know. And remember, even if you are Pinnacle, Royal could decide to do this to you in the future, if you don't speak up. I am very disappointed by Royal's behavior towards & lack of respect for its most loyal cruisers.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Congratulations on your first post.

Perhaps you would like to do some reading before you start posting.

This has been hashed, rehashed and rerehashed multiple times.

It's not going to "get better".

If you feel that you can get a better deal elsewhere, by all means, go there.

loyalcruisernow&forever....

You're probably not going to like this but here goes anyway.....

As a RCCL customer who just recently came back to Royal because of their Star Class offerings and was on the Allure a couple weeks ago I can tell you that the suite lounge was busy enough with all of the suite passengers, guests of, and pinnacle passengers. Add to that the enormous number of Diamond+ and the lounge would have been out of control.

And quite honestly would have been the deciding factor preventing us from booking another Star Class suite - which we did.

RCCL is getting this one right... In my opinion.

Perhaps you would like to do some reading before you start posting.

This has been hashed, rehashed and rerehashed multiple times.

It's not going to "get better".

If you feel that you can get a better deal elsewhere, by all means, go there.

Thank you

I could not have said it better.

Well said.

Have a great day.

Is this new?

I was on the Explorer last month and had access to both lounges as Diamond Plus.

My next cruise is on the Harmony as a D+ will I have access to both lounges?

Cheers

Harmony has a Diamond Lounge for Diamond and Diamond Plus and a Suite lounge for Suite guests and Pinnacle members.

Harmony does not have a Concierge Lounge. If you are in a suite you will have access to both lounges.

Edited by molly361

I suspect that it's a trend that's bound to increase. As more people climb the loyalty ladder they'll need to reduce what they give each level pure $$$$$

I'm not doubting your theory but in this instance, isn't it more about capacity? It's only a lounge change.

Here we go again.

Why shouldn't Suite guest, who many have Status and PAY for their drinks, ask for no perks other than to be catered too for no more than the status of their cabin type? A first class cabin and paying for first class service. How come some have a difficult time with this??

Thank you RCCL for managing this.

3000 anyone ... LOl

Entitled attitudes like OP's are exactly why we don't sail Royal anymore.

People really need to stop believing they are as elite as their cruiseline status tells them.

They eventually start thinking that line ups and other 'rules' no longer apply to them. Good thing there are a few of us on board to snap them back to reality every once in awhile. :cool:

As a lowly D+ with 279 points, I guess I just don't expect individual service from a mass-market line. I mean, I am on a ship with 2-6000 other people. I've come to accept that I won't have access to some areas of the ship. Thankfully with their new rules, there are at least more options ... drinks on a card in almost any bar onboard sure does alleviate crowded lounges and god-forbid sitting in someone's "spot" if actually are able to find a seat.

In the end, we all know that these types of programs are subject to change without notice. That makes going out of your way to "earn loyalty" a bit silly. Cruise because you like to and let the rest be a bonus ... and if that means going on other lines, that's great. You might find something you've been missing with RCI. You might also find that RCI has a few offerings to keep you with them other than C&A.

I take issue with "It's Loyal Cruisers" just because you have obtained the status you have. I may not have that status but all my cruises have been with Royal so I consider myself one of the "Loyal Cruisers" also. I just don't have all those extra perks yet! :cool:

Edited by bigque

Let us know how you go with trying other cruise lines.

We will stay loyal to Royal while they provide the product we want at a price we like. Any perks are a bonus we appreciate but don't expect.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. That has been a discussion topic. :D:):D

Something tells me that with 547 points, this is not a new poster, maybe just a new name - especially with the screen name this poster used.

Perhaps you knew that and your greeting was meant to be sarcastic. I am likely ill informed of CC sarcasm, or just plain dense. :)

M

PS - to address the post - last week on the Freedom we used the DL, rather than the CL. Neither lounge was crowded.

M

When you're a points chaser, this sort of disappointment is inevitable.

Well said. Though we appreciate any perks we get from an airline, hotel, or RCCL because of "status", we'll never make a purchase decision based on getting more points or miles.

Thankfully with their new rules, there are at least more options ... drinks on a card in almost any bar onboard sure does alleviate crowded lounges and god-forbid sitting in someone's "spot" if actually are able to find a seat.

Agree. I would say our chances of sitting in the lounge has gotten to the point where we hardly try anymore. I'm not complaining and neither is my newly acquired favorite bartender on each ship.

When you're a points chaser, this sort of disappointment is inevitable.

That about sums it up. If they looked at it on the bright side, it's only 76.5 nights in a suite until they meet their friends again. :D

I am writing to let loyal cruisers of RCL know what RCL is doing to its loyal cruisers. I am Diamond Plus with 547 points & was working my way towards Pinnacle. However, I am now abandoning that quest because Royal has been downgrading the way it treats its loyal cruisers. Diamond Plus cruisers used to be admitted to the Concierge/Suite Lounges on the ships along with Pinnacle & Suite Guests. However, on more & more RCL Ships, Diamond Plus Guests are no longer allowed in the Concierge/Suite Lounges & are only allowed in the Diamond Lounge. This creates several problems & shows a lack of respect by Royal to its most loyal customers. First, Diamond Plus Guests can no longer sit & visit with Pinnacle & Suite friends that they made on previous cruises when they were allowed in the Concierge/Suite Lounge. This is very disconcerting & upsetting. Second, because the Diamond Pluses have been sent back to the Diamond Lounge, the Lounge has become very overcrowded with very long lines or wait times to get a drink & no seats to be had once you get a drink. Third, since some Pinnacle Guests want to sit with their Old Diamond Plus Friends, they go to the Diamond Lounge, making it even more overcrowded. I think this new policy by RCL was ill conceived, has caused many problems,& has caused many loyal cruisers to feel let down by RCL. I know I feel that way & have let RCL management know this. If you agree, let me know, but also let RCL management know. And remember, even if you are Pinnacle, Royal could decide to do this to you in the future, if you don't speak up. I am very disappointed by Royal's behavior towards & lack of respect for its most loyal cruisers.

There are only a few ships that now have a Suite Lounge exclusively for Suite guests and Pinnacles. Oasis Class ships and Liberty. Did you recently sail on Liberty and experience this?

Harmony has a Diamond Lounge for Diamond and Diamond Plus and a Suite lounge for Suite guests and Pinnacle members.

Harmony does not have a Concierge Lounge. If you are in a suite you will have access to both lounges.

Molly, if you are in a GS and above, but have not yet attained Diamond level...

I didn't think you would have access to both lounges?? Wouldn't that be SL

only and not access to the DL?

Edited by island lady

This was some great humor to start the day. I love the sense of humor that many of you have.

I can only imagine how someone with this mindset would handle being a first time cruises on another line with no loyalty status.

I think the OP has a valid point to some degree, however a Lounge is only a lounge by name, does it really matter what it is called.

A Diamond Lounge is for Diamond guests be they D or D+, and on some ships the D Lounge is in fact a nicer space than the CL.

Sure at times the D Lounge is crowded, but don't blame others for enjoying enough cruises to be able to use that facility, at those times the vouchers become useful.

HOWEVER the main point I would like to make is this................

Your true Suite or Pinnacle friends would happily join you for a drink in other areas of the ship if they missed you on the SL.

I have done on recent ships when travelling with friends some of which do NOT have any access to any lounge. Also thanks to Royal and the introduction of the voucher system I still get my happy hour drink.

Also for my real friends I am able to take them into Coastal Kitchen to dine with me.

Sometimes I think people forget what made them Diamond in the first place, which surely was the enjoyable cruise experience before they had any access to any lounge. Of course I understand the disappointment of restricted access to one part of the ship, but that is no more than my disappointment of not getting access to a CL before I was Diamond member.

The same situation applies now as it did then, access to the Suite Lounge is available to anybody..............that books a Suite. In exactly the same way the First Class cabin is to those on airlines. :)