Do companies need to "sell" their cruises?

ljandiernp

I currently have a credit on NCL and want to cruise from Manhattan to Bermuda; I have done this trip before on the Breakaway and it was lovely. We prefer aft facing cabins and I have a current booking offer in an aft cabin that includes the dining package (all the specialty restaurants) and a drink package for about $4,000 for the week. This seems VERY expensive (we don't drink a lot and the dining package is $119 per person for a week when purchased). We really love Princess and I looked at their Manhattan offerings to give me SOME comparison. They offer a 10 day cruise to the Caribbean in an aft cabin for about $3,600 with beverages included; the cruise is in October, versus June for my current booking on NCL. I am aware that I am trying to compare pretty different cruises (June versus October to begin with as Princess only does October cruise from Manhattan) but there is pretty big difference in prices on similar, large ships. Thinking about these comparisons got me to wondering, do the lines have to compete with one another or not? In other words, does saying "I can go with line "xyz" for $3,000, so why don't you match that price in order to sell me a cabin?" work or there plenty of fans for any given line that they don't have to work for a sale? Thanks for your thoughts, Laurie

I currently have a credit on NCL and want to cruise from Manhattan to Bermuda; I have done this trip before on the Breakaway and it was lovely. We prefer aft facing cabins and I have a current booking offer in an aft cabin that includes the dining package (all the specialty restaurants) and a drink package for about $4,000 for the week. This seems VERY expensive (we don't drink a lot and the dining package is $119 per person for a week when purchased). We really love Princess and I looked at their Manhattan offerings to give me SOME comparison. They offer a 10 day cruise to the Caribbean in an aft cabin for about $3,600 with beverages included; the cruise is in October, versus June for my current booking on NCL. I am aware that I am trying to compare pretty different cruises (June versus October to begin with as Princess only does October cruise from Manhattan) but there is pretty big difference in prices on similar, large ships. Thinking about these comparisons got me to wondering, do the lines have to compete with one another or not? In other words, does saying "I can go with line "xyz" for $3,000, so why don't you match that price in order to sell me a cabin?" work or there plenty of fans for any given line that they don't have to work for a sale? Thanks for your thoughts, Laurie

Nope. I've fairly certain that asking one cruise line to price match another won't work. Each cruise line feels that they have a unique product and sell it as such. The price they set for their cruises are the prices they feel they can get for them.

If you find what you deem to be a similar cruise for a lower cost, go for it, but don't expect NCL to charge the same as Princess.

Sure, lines compete against each other for a percentage of their customers. But we have never heard of a line price-matching other lines. You can be sure they watch their compeition's pricing, promotions, and marketing. But matching? Nope.

And you are right. $4000 for a 7 day NCL cruise (in regular balcony cabin) does seem excessive to me. But we would not book that cruise for $2000, since we have little interest in that particular ship, cruise line, or itinerary. But you might want to consider that we recently booked a 24 day European cruise on HAL in a balcony cabin....and the total cost of the cruise (no drink package) was about $4700!

If you are looking for a specific cruise/date/line...then you are at the mercy of the pricing for that cruise. But if you expand your horizons, there are always some amazing deals in the cruise industry.

Hank

What you esentially want to do is negotiate your fare: "I'll give you my business if you match ABC's price." Since cruise lines differ in service and ammenities two lines on the same itinerary and the same number of nights are not one-to-one comparable.

FWIW this board's industy insider, Brucemuzz, has stated that cruise lines rarely want a demographic that sails only for heavily discounted fares. He claims that this group spends almost zero on board and often removes all staff gratuities. Not saying that you fit this mold, that's just his reported observation.

Its a matter of supply and demand with the itineraries and ports of call. Bermuda BTW typically is higher priced than others in our experience with several cruises there on two different lines. Price matching? Will not happen as most cruises sail full regardless of individual pricing.

You can't compare a cruise in June to a cruise in October. Even on the same line that cruise in June is going to hire as it's during peak season when many people ca travel who can't travel in the shoulder or off seasons.

I've cruised both Princess and NCL. They're more alike than different. And, when I've compared pricing for the same itineraries at the same time, Princess' prices have been a few hundred dollars higher.

NCL isn't only $400 more. That gap is going to widen on board with all the nickel and diming NCL does.

What nickel and diming? People always throw that term around but never elaborate.

Go with Princess. It's the better cruise line.

Depending on who you ask, one cruise line is always going to be better than another.;)

Being that the OP was only asking IF cruise lines would price match and since they have a credit on NCL, chances are they won't be choosing Princess presently.

What nickel and diming? People always throw that term around but never elaborate.

Two examples:

Selling those cheesy lottery tickets before the show each evening.

Charging extra for alternate restaurants - which is what one must pay if you want good food well served.

No-one ever elaborates? Really!!?? Numerous people have elaborated how NCL nickel and dimes more than any other major cruise line. A few examples of how NCL NiCkeL and dimes in ways that are beyond how the rest of the industry does:

1. NCL charges $7.95 24/7 for hot room service items.

2. NCL charges 18% gratuity on top of their beverage and dining packages, even if the packages were given for free - and they don't include water and coffees in the package.

3. NCL has gone to ala cart pricing in all their specialty restaurants.

4. NCL has the highest daily service charge in the business.

This isn't exactly a secret. Even NCL acknowledges it.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

Ok, thanks for all the replies. I guess I should have been more specific. I was asking a very general question about whether NCL would do anything to win my business over my sailing with Princess. So if we were talking equal deals (same itinerary and month from the same port) would NCL try to get me on board, especially if I was a returning customer? If I call a cruise TA at NCL would he or she work to get my business by offering me a little discount versus losing the sale to Princess? I though I was making this point by saying that I realized I was comparing apples to oranges, but I guess not. And to the poster who said that Princess is the better line, I generally agree. But I have done all their Caribbean itineraries and can't take the time off to make Europe worth doing yet, so I've branched out a bit. As a big ship I like the Breakaway and I love the convenience of leaving from Manhattan. I don't actually like the Regal or Royal Princess very much, so I'm not sure I'd actually take a Princess cruise out of the city. Of Princess ships I prefer the Caribbean Princess sized ships and I'm a frequent Princess cruiser, so no argument about the quality of that line from me, LOL! I don't mind the way NCL does business; I didn't buy into anything that made me feel "nickel and dimed" at all. I was given the dining package as a perk of my first cruise and although as a result of it I only ate in the main dining room twice, I thought all meal options were great for a ship feeding thousands. I'd gladly purchase the premium package for meals again, but I/we average less than $40.00 per day in alcohol charges, so maybe that's why I'm tolerant of the cost for restaurants. Take care, Laurie

NCL is running a special now and you can get a free dining package, drink package, all tips paid for you, or free excursions. If you get the Freebie then the price might not be as high as you think.

I was on the NCL Breakaway, last December and it's a wonderful ship.

NCL is running a special now and you can get a free dining package, drink package, all tips paid for you, or free excursions.

That's not true. They still charge 18% on the so-called "free" packages. The only exception is if you book the Haven suites.

No-one ever elaborates? Really!!?? Numerous people have elaborated how NCL nickel and dimes more than any other major cruise line. ........... .

Yes, really. I've read it many times with no backup. But if you say so, looks like I just missed all those posts.:D

Ljandiernp, just from a practical standpoint, it would be a nightmare for cruise lines to try and match pricing for everyone who would be asking.

Only the daily $13.50 per day is paid for you. Not your other tips.

BTW the free drink package is a joke because you still pay the fees & tips on each drink. If you hang out in the lounges often, you can end up paying a ton of money, on your free drinks.