Small Gifts For Room Steward

People sometimes say they bring gifts. Imagine if every cabin did this! Where would all that stuff go?! You wouldn't bring housekeeping at a hotel or a waitress at a restaurant a gift. They want cash, cold hard cash. :)

Sorry..but just cash is what they need and prefer....most don't have the space in their shared cabin's to collect or store things...You have never met or know your cabin steward why would you think they want/need anything from your home town ;)

Really? Unnecessary response.

Yeah, its funny but you walked into that one! There have been tons of threads about this. If cash is something you didn't want to do, then I'd suggest some gum, mints, candy, etc. Something actually that can be used instead of some trinket.

Edited by mad-dog74

Cash is king for sure.

Half of my family is Filipino so we do know the value of a small reminder from a far away home. Next cruise I was thinking of taking a few snacks from the local Filipino market that I know would be next to impossible to source in the ports that most ships visit.

On one cruise years ago the tour operator in Belize that we booked with ahead of time mentioned a desire for things like Doritos which were apparently either stale or expensive or both down there, so one person brought a couple bags.

But otherwise, cash is king for sure.

We always give them those huge, large stuffed animals.

You can find them pretty cheap in some of the ports.

They seem to really like them.

Matj, dude, seriously how many times do I have to remind you that the crew also love T-shirts from the passenger's hometown?

###

I know, since I work for MONEY, that if my boss were to give me "gifts" instead of pay, I'd be pissed!

Just give them money and be polite and that's plenty! Do you bring "gifts" for your hotel room housekeeper?

Back 15-20 years ago before Internet was cheap and everyone had a cell phone, International calling cards were appreciated in addition to a good tip. They took no space and could allow a crew member to head straight to the line for a pay phone in port instead of having to take the time to buy a card first. Now they are pretty useless. Times change. I suppose if you are from another country and have a gift card for a WalMart or Carrefore or Boots or (insert name of store with locations near ports where it is easy to buy personal care items and snacks and such) that has some value left and you won't use it but your cabin steward or waiter is going to remain on the ship in that region and might get use of it, offering it to them would be a nice gesture, but certainly not in lieu of a tip and even an extra tip--in cash.

I laughed out loud picturing this.

We always bring three or four of these along as tokens of our appreciation. (The Bears that is. )

Really, we just give cash, if they want a teddy they can buy one.

bosco

bear.jpg.07f067e87b4c8f7bd4ee7ee1118db5d5.jpg

Edited by boscobeans

We always bring three or four of these along as tokens of our appreciation. (The Bears that is. )

Someone once tried to give my kids a big bear like that; it was bigger than a human. (they were cleaning out their own space. I declined.). So this does happen in real life!

Edited by marci22