Is There Something Wrong with Liberty?

I'm surprised nobody mentioned what a great port city Galveston is. I only sailed out of Galveston once but we went in two days early. Stayed at that converted warehouse-turned-hotel right on the pier and wandered the old town the evening we arrived. Headed over to Moody Gardens the next day ... one of the best aquariums I have ever been to.

A totally different experience than sailing out of Florida and well worth the transportation distance to get there from IAH.

And Liberty is a great ship ... especially when sailing with kids. I choose it when I introduced my family (and all 6 grandkids) to cruising a couple years ago. You owe it to yourself to try it once.

We loved Galveston and stayed at the same hotel. We also took a carriage ride through the historic homes district, went dolphin watching, ate amazing food, and had a great time! The strand reminded me of a smaller version of Bourbon Street.

Looking forward to next year when we can see more of the area.

Love Galveston. I think it is mostly about the start of school BUT...

Just a reminder for non locals, it is still very very hot in August in Texas.

It is also always very hot in the ports visited.

Be prepared for some toasty weather.

Good for getting your last tan of the summer.

Love Galveston. I think it is mostly about the start of school BUT...

Just a reminder for non locals, it is still very very hot in August in Texas.

It is also always very hot in the ports visited.

Be prepared for some toasty weather.

Good for getting your last tan of the summer.

Ah yes...Texas must get super hot in the summer. Thanks for the warning.

For now, it's just an option (or a dream)...having said that, if we didn't just return from a cruise in April, we might have jumped on the cruise for the price we saw this August (week leading up to labor day).

We cruised out Galveston a couple of years ago. Flew from Buffalo to Hobby on Southwest for a good price. Used Cool Tours to get us from the airport to the hotel(Galveston Beach Hotel). Good price on the hotel. It is right across the road from the Gulf. Had a nice dinner at the Saltgrass steak house. If the price for a cruise on LOS is right we would cruise from Galveston again.

We also did Liberty a couple of months ago and have her booked for next April, was just refurbished nice ship. However got a better deal on Navigator 9 day cruise same price as Liberty 7 day for Nov 2017 in a GS.

Negative of Galveston is many of the better hotels have went up over 100 a night in last couple of years and most of the better hotels require a 2 night stay, so we now stay at a nice hotel around hobby and get a town car to take us to port the next day.

If it is a 7 night cruise, there are never more than one RCI and one Carnival ship in Galveston. Best to fly into Hobby. Galveston Express is an excellent choice for a shuttle to Galveston and from the port. They were exactly on time at our designated meeting place acouple of weeks ago. Yes, several hotels require 2 night stays until after August and starting in May. However, several do not require this. Go to galveston.com for hotel information. I do not think the transportation issue is any different that it is from Orlando to Port Canaveral Both require a shuttle or rental car to get from the airport to the port city. Liberty is a great ship with terrific crew.

the end of aug. sept. oct. heart of storm season in galveston gulf could get bit ruff if low presure form but the prices are great

Heart of storm season is along entire Gulf and East Coast including entire Caribbean!

Make you plans and enjoy your cruise!

Edited by ssb

Just curious. I'm always looking out for future cruises (although our next big trip will probably be Disneyland). I have checked end of August for both this summer and next summer and Liberty. For both, a 7 night Caribbean cruise on the Liberty, which is out of Galveston is really cheap for a cruise. We can book a family of 4 for under $3k CAD.

The ship looks great with the waterslides and kids area, it has the Tidal wave, Flowrider, has a Broadway show, ice rink, etc...

So why it Liberty so much cheaper? Is there something wrong with it?

(Mind you, when I did a quick search, the flight from Ontario to Galveston is $1000 more than flying to Fort Lauderdale so any cruise savings may be a wash in the end)

There is nothing wrong with the Liberty of the Seas. I was just on the ship about three months ago. Here is my review ...

http://http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2364155

If you are flying from Canada nonstop, you are going to Bush Airport which is north of Houston. It is a long trip to Galveston, which does not have a commercial airport. Figure about $300 each way by taxi or about $150 each way by limo. If you find a shuttle service, that might be less.

Hobby Airport is closer. Southwest flies to Hobby. That might take 1/3 to 1/2 off the cost by taxi.

Hotels in Houston are less expensive than hotels in Galveston.

If you found a good deal, take it, but make sure you factor in all of the costs. Getting to and from the airport to the port is expensive.

There is nothing wrong with the Liberty of the Seas. I was just on the ship about three months ago. Here is my review ...

http://http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2364155

If you are flying from Canada nonstop, you are going to Bush Airport which is north of Houston. It is a long trip to Galveston, which does not have a commercial airport. Figure about $300 each way by taxi or about $150 each way by limo. If you find a shuttle service, that might be less.

Hobby Airport is closer. Southwest flies to Hobby. That might take 1/3 to 1/2 off the cost by taxi.

Hotels in Houston are less expensive than hotels in Galveston.

If you found a good deal, take it, but make sure you factor in all of the costs. Getting to and from the airport to the port is expensive.

Thanks for the link of your review. Looks like a great ship.

(We were on the Allure exact same week as you :-) )

Edited by LuCruise

We cruised out of Galveston last year for the first time. We arrived a few days early - spent 1 day visiting NASA / Houston Space and Rocket Center and another enjoying Galvestons Moody Gardens and seacoast. We also visited the 2 seaside amusement-like parks (Kemah Boardwalk and another one) and it happened to be Mardi Gras so we also enjoyed a few parades. Supposedly the 2nd largest Mardi Gras celebration outside of New Orleans? It was well done yet tasteful enough for the whole family!

We are cruising out of there again in April. The transportation is trickier, but the flights are MUCH cheaper for us than flying to Florida on a school vacation/holiday week! Last year we paid $250/person when flights to anywhere in Florida were over $1000 each, some as high as $1400 each.

We also did Liberty a couple of months ago and have her booked for next April, was just refurbished nice ship. However got a better deal on Navigator 9 day cruise same price as Liberty 7 day for Nov 2017 in a GS.

Negative of Galveston is many of the better hotels have went up over 100 a night in last couple of years and most of the better hotels require a 2 night stay, so we now stay at a nice hotel around hobby and get a town car to take us to port the next day.

There are new hotels being completed and on board!

Anything being said about Galveston is only as good as the day it's said!

Things are changing everyday, every month and every year!

Many more cabins than recent years. Was not so long ago It was the just the CCL Conquest and Ecstasy with unseasonal service or less on RCCL Rhapsody. Now Carnival has Breeze and two Conquest Class ships and RCCL is year round with Liberty. This coming off Princess an NCL stints out of Bayport.

Without doing the Math, I'd venture to guess Cruise berths out of TX have more than doubled in less than 4 years.

Many more cabins than recent years. Was not so long ago It was the just the CCL Conquest and Ecstasy with unseasonal service or less on RCCL Rhapsody. Now Carnival has Breeze and two Conquest Class ships and RCCL is year round with Liberty. This coming off Princess an NCL stints out of Bayport.

Without doing the Math, I'd venture to guess Cruise berths out of TX have more than doubled in less than 4 years.

As long as there are my berths than deaths, the population will continue to get bigger.

Now, when is Galveston going to get a commercial airport and/or a rental car agency that is open at least six hours seven days per week?

As long as there are my berths than deaths, the population will continue to get bigger.

Now, when is Galveston going to get a commercial airport and/or a rental car agency that is open at least six hours seven days per week?

Enterprise is there now - 7 days a week.3 cruises ago, we rendezvoused with family at Hobby and were pier side in less than 45 mins. Not FLL by any means, but better than we've done at Port Canaveral, LA, or NY.

Enterprise is there now - 7 days a week.3 cruises ago, we rendezvoused with family at Hobby and were pier side in less than 45 mins. Not FLL by any means, but better than we've done at Port Canaveral, LA, or NY.

When Galveston gets Avis, Hertz, Budget, Alamo, National, etc., with free shuttles to/from the cruise terminal, and the hotels don't require a two day minimum on weekends, then maybe it will be like Port Canaveral.

Does Enterprise accept one-way rentals from Hobby now?

You can walk from FLL airport to Port Everglades. If you want to compare Galveston to a Florida port, I suggest Port Canaveral. Both Galveston and PC are a long way from the major airports. However, in PC there are at least four rental agencies that are open for a full day, seven days a week near the port and they offer shuttle service. In Galveston, Enterprise is only open half day on the weekends. In PC oneway rentals do not carry a drop off charge. Does Enterprise allow drop off charge free rentals between Houston and Galveston and back?

In PC you can arrange a one night stay at a hotel for a reasonable rate. Can you do that in Galveston?

You can walk from FLL airport to Port Everglades. If you want to compare Galveston to a Florida port, I suggest Port Canaveral. Both Galveston and PC are a long way from the major airports. However, in PC there are at least four rental agencies that are open for a full day, seven days a week near the port and they offer shuttle service. In Galveston, Enterprise is only open half day on the weekends. In PC oneway rentals do not carry a drop off charge. Does Enterprise allow drop off charge free rentals between Houston and Galveston and back?

In PC you can arrange a one night stay at a hotel for a reasonable rate. Can you do that in Galveston?

Drop charges are not part of the company contract I use with National/Enterprise.

3 weeks ago we stayed on the island for one night on comp points. Have done the same many times in the past sometimes paying because the room price was less than what my points were worth elsewhere.

That being said, given the choice to fly and cruise out of MCO or HOU, all other things being equal, Of course I'd choose MCO.

However, things are seldom equal and it's very likely that Galveston is an easier and over all more cost effective option for West Coast folks trying to cruise the Caribbean.

Embarkation & disembarkation at Galveston can be a PITA, especially if several ships are in port.

Exactly. embarkation and disembarkation is not handled as well at this port as say Florida . We have not sailed out of Galveston since 2011 but we are booked on the Liberty in September. I will definitely leave the new car at home and drive an older one to port as a close friends brand new car was washed away during a hurricane about eight years ago and it and numerous others were never found. Felt pretty bad since my daughter had talked her into taking this as her first cruise. She has not sailed since that time.

In 2007 we sailed a T/A from Barcelona to Galveston on the Voyager. We were a party of four and I had arranged rental of a Lincoln Town car with Hertz prior to our flight to Barcelona.We parked our car at the airport and flew to Barcelona. Upon arrival in Galveston we were downgraded to a Ford Crown Vic and were very crowded as we drove back to Houston IAH. We turned in the rental car at that location. The cost was 250 USD which I thought was very expensive.

We've found that one night stays in Galveston are usually OK as long as it's not a special event weekend - but we don't go cruising there in the summer so that might be different. What I have noticed that many hotels have "upgraded" their points requirements for freebie stays, example Marriotts are now grade 6 so we can't use our annual free night cert now :(

http://www.galveston.com/hotels-condos/

I wish Houston Bayport would stay open with NCL and Princess but alas it's gone for now.