Overpriced Celebrity fares make me change cruiseline, regrettably!

Tangocherie

In the last few days, I have been shopping around for a Transatlantic cruise in the fall of 2017. My cruiseline of choice is Celebrity and I have elite status in the Captain's Club.

To my astonishment, the prices on these transat cruises are incredibly high. For Reflection, Oct 20/17 $4596CAN. For Eclipse, Oct 28/17, $5056CAN. For Equinox, Nov 3/17, $4510CAN. For Silhouette, Nov 4/17 $4766CAN. These prices are for 2 guests in the lowest category veranda, 2D obstructed. Keep in mind that the Go Big promo does not apply on transatlantic cruises.

To me these prices are sky high, especially considering you don't get the benefit of, for instance, an included beverage package. I think, unfortunately, Celebrity is overpriced, at least for me.

Sadly, I have resolved to book on another cruiseline. We will be sailing from Copenhagen to Miami on Oct 15/17 aboard the Norwegian Getaway. The Ultimate beverage and Specialty dining package are included. We will be in a B4 category veranda on deck 12. Price for the two of us is $3930.66CAN which includes the 18% gratuities for the beverage and dining packages.

If pricing stays this way on Celebrity and, may I add, on RCI, I can't see how I can justify staying loyal. Is it just me or do any of you feel the same way?:(

Fans of Norwegian are also upset about changes to their expectations. This is a time of change in the cruise industry, as all lines try to recover from the depressed fares they maintained during the economic downturn. Some are raising fares, some are cutting costs, some are nickel-and-diming -- and all three approaches are making some people unhappy. The bottom line is cruising is a business, not a "relationship" -- there's no reason to be "loyal" to a line (except the loyalty benefits, which you have to factor in to cost comparisons). Try NCL, maybe consider Princess or HAL -- then you'll be able to factor in your personal satisfaction against price.

Fans of Norwegian are also upset about changes to their expectations. This is a time of change in the cruise industry, as all lines try to recover from the depressed fares they maintained during the economic downturn. Some are raising fares, some are cutting costs, some are nickel-and-diming --

I noticed on the CC news link that NCL will no longer allow passengers to bring their own water or soda on board....

I noticed on the CC news link that NCL will no longer allow passengers to bring their own water or soda on board....

That's just the latest is a string of nickel-and-diming changes they have been making. What's worse is that these changes apply to already-booked cruises.

We very much enjoyed our first cruise on NCL Epic earlier this year, we enjoyed the reasonably priced speciality restaurants, the fantastic drinks package and most of all the much better entertainment than Celebrity.

We didn't prefer everything about NCL, but we would certainly cruise with them again for the right price, probably not during school holidays though.

My tip would definitely be to book your shows and dining as much as possible before you sail, it is easy to change onboard if the timing doesn't quite work.

Enjoy.

Jean

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am sure if there is a slow booking pattern, prices will come down between now and then just like it happened for my cruise on Equinox next March. Price was insanely high, but I got my favorite cabin and decided to wait. Last week price had dropped by $400. Now pricing is more in line with previous years.

I am also booked on Equinox TA - 11/3/17 sailing. Price was just crazy high when we booked. Now I am waiting for a price drop. Will see if my theory will be confirmed.

That's just the latest is a string of nickel-and-diming changes they have been making. What's worse is that these changes apply to already-booked cruises.

Did you see how they try to "sell" it? Apparently guests bringing liquids on board is now a security risk, similar to when you board an airplane.......

We normally book very early- 20-24 months out. Our 15 night TA in October is now $4100, (1A) we paid $2800 20 months ago. I expect that prices will drop when final payment rolls around, doubtful they will drop below what we are paying, but if they drop enough we will pay a bit more if Aqua or a Suite is available.

What I do is monitor prices on several different cruises (often transatlantic) and am ready to pounce once I find what I want at the price I want. A couple weeks ago , I booked a Celebrity 15 night ta for $2500 for 2 in a GTY balcony. Got a slight upgrade to 2C and am on the "good" side of the ship for the westbound ta. Prepd grat's too. I was happy with that, and this is 4 months out. I would never book a ta 1 1/2 yrs ahead ,but then I'm not fussy about cabins.

I think your shopping too early. Book a Celebrity TA 40-60 days out.

We did a fall TA 15 night Balcony (we only book balcony's) on Reflection for $999 with $425 OBC plus a specialty dinner for 2. And NO, the air fair did not chew us up, $560pp, Phx. to Rome.

It seems to me like the cruise lines are using the models airlines are using for pricing. Pay a base fare and have add on charges for the amenities you want. Having cruised with both X and NCL, I can say that NCL has more add ons. But at least X hasn't YET got to the point of selling lottery tickets or tables in front of the stage before evening shows. Bottom line, to me, is that the elegance and affordability of cruising is changing rapidly. It will never go back to the way it was and we need to get used to it. Changing cruise lines won't bring back the old days. To me the essential ingredient for a memorable cruise is service and quality of the product. X still marks the spot for me with that in mind.

In the last few days, I have been shopping around for a Transatlantic cruise in the fall of 2017. My cruiseline of choice is Celebrity and I have elite status in the Captain's Club.

To my astonishment, the prices on these transat cruises are incredibly high. For Reflection, Oct 20/17 $4596CAN. For Eclipse, Oct 28/17, $5056CAN. For Equinox, Nov 3/17, $4510CAN. For Silhouette, Nov 4/17 $4766CAN. These prices are for 2 guests in the lowest category veranda, 2D obstructed. Keep in mind that the Go Big promo does not apply on transatlantic cruises.

To me these prices are sky high, especially considering you don't get the benefit of, for instance, an included beverage package. I think, unfortunately, Celebrity is overpriced, at least for me.

Sadly, I have resolved to book on another cruiseline. We will be sailing from Copenhagen to Miami on Oct 15/17 aboard the Norwegian Getaway. The Ultimate beverage and Specialty dining package are included. We will be in a B4 category veranda on deck 12. Price for the two of us is $3930.66CAN which includes the 18% gratuities for the beverage and dining packages.

If pricing stays this way on Celebrity and, may I add, on RCI, I can't see how I can justify staying loyal. Is it just me or do any of you feel the same way?:(

I would be willing to bet that those prices will come down, significantly. So, if I were to want a TA, I would wait to book, and if they do not come down, go with plan b

I booked a 15 day TA cruise in a balcony on Freedom of the Seas...for the two of us...------$1660....it's out there if you look....2017...some people play the stock market....i monitor cruises like it's my job!

Have done 10 TAs. Most on X. You are looking at early sucker rates. 4-6 weeks out yields lowest rates. Also, I would consider not booking way early due to situation in Europe which will probably cause port changes.As an X veteran, you must be aware Celebrity likes to do last minute port changes usually after final payment date.

We have (and still do) price up other cruise lines and alternative land based vacation options.

Yes, all of us have budgets...we know what we can afford to pay and are willing to pay for a specific cruise or holiday experience.

The bottom line questions are always 'Is this what we want? Can we afford it? Is there a better option?'

The OP has, on this occasion, found a better fit for themselves than X.

We know we could have cheaper AI holidays than cruising X. We know we can book cheaper cruises than X. At present, however, our recent X cruises have just matched what we want perfectly...we are not changing lines - not because we are unaware of other options, we just simply find at present X is eXactly what we want!

To the OP, looks like you are seeing unrealistic exchange rates on the Celebrity website. I saw the same issue (over $1.80 when the going exchange rate was $1.38). Take a look at in US $ pricing and you'll see:

Reelection Oct 20th @ $1,599 US

Eclipse Oct 28th @ $1,649 US

The others are similar. I think this is another example of the Celebrity website being screwed up. I had to book my Aug cruise in US$ in order to save huge $.

Take a look and report back.

To the OP, looks like you are seeing unrealistic exchange rates on the Celebrity website. I saw the same issue (over $1.80 when the going exchange rate was $1.38). Take a look at in US $ pricing and you'll see:

The others are similar. I think this is another example of the Celebrity website being screwed up. I had to book my Aug cruise in US$ in order to save huge $.

With your 1.38 exchange rate for CAD the OP is pretty close to the USD rates for TWO passengers even with the $1600 pp fare..............bummer for Canadians.

I will second the fact that X is being very cheap with its OBCs and perks for TAs.......we were on HAL last year and had free grats and $500 OBC PLUS a $250 Shareholder credit..............I too am looking VERY hard at X's new policies and prices and if we don't get the Shareholder credit on our October TA on the Equinox I too will be looking for other "opportunities" on other lines.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

RickT,

Got the price for a basic veranda, 2D, on Reflection. In US$ it still comes to $4390US. This is much more than the rate I got on NCL. Don't forget, the rate on X is without any perks... So sad.

By the way...

I have been following the brouhaha on the Norwegian forum regarding the policy change re bringing bottled water or soda on board. Though I'm not directly affected since I can bring my distilled water on board for my cpap, I find that Norwegian is gouging their guests. My God, over $40 for a 12 pack of water. Ridiculous!

Hopefully, we shall have a nice cruise despite their "nickle and dimeing". We plan on optimising this itinenarary by making a stop in Iceland prior to arriving in Copenhagen.

Still, I would prefer Celebrity...

I think you will be extremely sorry for that decision. NCL has to be the worst cruise line out there. Now you cannot bring any beverages on board. I know with the price difference you can buy a lot of water. From what you described I would pay celebrity's prices to have a better experience.

In the last few days, I have been shopping around for a Transatlantic cruise in the fall of 2017.

To my astonishment, the prices on these transat cruises are incredibly high. For Reflection, Oct 20/17 $4596CAN. For Eclipse, Oct 28/17, $5056CAN. For Equinox, Nov 3/17, $4510CAN. For Silhouette, Nov 4/17 $4766CAN.

To me these prices are sky high. I think, unfortunately, Celebrity is overpriced, at least for me.

If pricing stays this way on Celebrity and, may I add, on RCI, I can't see how I can justify staying loyal.

You should REALLY consider taking the advice from ShakeDaddy in his post below.

Booking that early, especially a transatlantic... and ESPECIALLY through the cruise line... is utterly counterproductive. They will ALWAYS try to get higher prices than what they KNOW they will have to settle for later... and as long as people pay those ridiculously high prices when booking early, the cruise lines will laugh all the way to the next shareholders meeting. :rolleyes:

This past April, the 16 night T/A on Reflection dropped from OVER $1,000pp for an inside cabin before final payment... to only $599pp for a BALCONY cabin after final payment. The connecting flights through Choice Air/AIR2SEA were still only $450 to $550 pp :eek:

The Equinox T/A to Barcelona dropped from over $1,000pp to only $404pp... and the 13 night Constellation T/A dropped to $349pp.

I just booked an ocean view cabin on the 17 April T/A on Brilliance OTS for a reasonable $699pp... BUT... I'm getting $300 OBC from the online travel agency, and another $250 OBC from the shareholder benefit... along with free drinks from the Diamond level.

That same online site is offering your desired Reflection cruise for USD $1499pp... and a balcony for your NCL getaway T/A for only USD $849pp!

STOP booking early... and stop paying inflated rates directly with the cruise lines! ;)

I think your shopping too early. Book a Celebrity TA 40-60 days out.

We did a fall TA 15 night Balcony (we only book balcony's) on Reflection for $999 with $425 OBC plus a specialty dinner for 2. And NO, the air fair did not chew us up, $560pp, Phx. to Rome.

Edited by teecee60

You should REALLY consider taking the advice from ShakeDaddy in his post below.

Booking that early, especially a transatlantic... and ESPECIALLY through the cruise line... is utterly counterproductive. They will ALWAYS try to get higher prices than what they KNOW they will have to settle for later... and as long as people pay those ridiculously high prices when booking early, the cruise lines will laugh all the way to the next shareholders meeting. :rolleyes:

This past April, the 16 night T/A on Reflection dropped from OVER $1,000pp for an inside cabin before final payment... to only $599pp for a BALCONY cabin after final payment. The connecting flights through Choice Air/AIR2SEA were still only $450 to $550 pp :eek:

The Equinox T/A to Barcelona dropped from over $1,000pp to only $404pp... and the 13 night Constellation T/A dropped to $349pp.

I just booked an ocean view cabin on the 17 April T/A on Brilliance OTS for a reasonable $699pp... BUT... I'm getting $300 OBC from the online travel agency, and another $250 OBC from the shareholder benefit... along with free drinks from the Diamond level.

That same online site is offering your desired Reflection cruise for USD $1499pp... and a balcony for your NCL getaway T/A for only USD $849pp!

STOP booking early... and stop paying inflated rates directly with the cruise lines! ;)

If everyone books late those late prices will then be higher. They wouldn't be able to sail the ships if everyone got those prices. Those are for what's left over. Book early to get what you want and watch the prices. The market will dictate what you finally pay.