Boom usage - number of devices

Hello,

We will be cruising on Oasis in 2 weeks, and I am trying to figure out which data package to purchase. If I purchase the VOOM Surf & Stream package for 1 device - does that mean that only 1 device can be logged in at a time? Or does it mean only one device the entire week can use that package. If that doesn't make sense - can I log in with my laptop on one day, and then an iPad on a different day?

Also - do the data prices REALLY go up on the cruise - or are the pre-cruise specials just a marketing ploy?

Sorry if this has already been asked - I have tried looking through old threads and didn't see anything specific to answer this.

Hello,

We will be cruising on Oasis in 2 weeks, and I am trying to figure out which data package to purchase. If I purchase the VOOM Surf & Stream package for 1 device - does that mean that only 1 device can be logged in at a time? Or does it mean only one device the entire week can use that package. If that doesn't make sense - can I log in with my laptop on one day, and then an iPad on a different day?

Also - do the data prices REALLY go up on the cruise - or are the pre-cruise specials just a marketing ploy?

Sorry if this has already been asked - I have tried looking through old threads and didn't see anything specific to answer this.

Yes, a one device package can be used on multiple devices, just one logged in at a time.

As far as the specials, we sailed Oasis in May and the on board "special" was more expensive than what you can buy prior to the cruise. I would buy it now.

Thank you. Figuring out the internet packages has been the most challenging part for me :) The biggest dilemma - to let the kids log in to the internet to play some of their iPad games - or have a mandatory tech free week ;) Understanding the device packages is a good start for me though - so thank you!

If you are going to buy a package anyway, I would just see how the week goes. Depending on the age of the kids, a little bit of down time with the ipad while you are trying to get ready for dinner isn't a bad thing.

BUT, multiple kids + 1 iPad may not be such a good idea either ;)

Regarding this two or more device thing ~

We got the VOOM stream. There were times when DW had it on her tablet. I'd ask her if she were on it before I wanted to use it on my iPhone; she in turn would log off and I'd jump on. But, there were times we'd forget to ask one another and then it dawned on me - unless someone was standing there at a monitor in IT watching - no one would really have noticed...and, tracking two devices would've been impossible, so don't worry about that.

Our experience with VOOM went well. The most important part for us was the smooth, seamless comms we had with Facetime sessions - and VERY importantly, able to see Game of Thrones on HBO GO was crucial. All went GREAT. Well worth the Internet at sea connection, and we scored a good discount for booking it in advance on their 30% off special deal.

I think I understand the surf/surf and stream differences and the number of devices desired. But when I tried to order surf for 1 device, it asked which passenger. I was going to choose my wife but is it one device/one passenger? Does choosing a second passenger cost more?

I think I understand the surf/surf and stream differences and the number of devices desired. But when I tried to order surf for 1 device, it asked which passenger. I was going to choose my wife but is it one device/one passenger? Does choosing a second passenger cost more?

You just need one pasenger. I believe one passenger can have up to 5 devices, which is the least expensive way to purchase more than one device.

We bought the 4 device package, no streaming , when they had a 30% off sale. I have 4 teens. Oops. That's 3 teens and a hubby ( pretty much the same). Hubby swore he wouldn't need service. On the first full day we had to upgrade to 5 devices. When we bought on sale I paid $139 for 4. In the ship it was $159for 4 and $179 for 5. A $20 difference. But.... To add the 5 th device after the fact I had to pay a per day price with a total of $35 for adding me. Buy before you go especially if there is a sale and buy for all devices or you will pay more than you should

Lisa

We got the VOOM stream. There were times when DW had it on her tablet. I'd ask her if she were on it before I wanted to use it on my iPhone; she in turn would log off and I'd jump on. But, there were times we'd forget to ask one another and then it dawned on me - unless someone was standing there at a monitor in IT watching - no one would really have noticed...and, tracking two devices would've been impossible, so don't worry about that.

Are you saying that it didn't knock off the first device when you logged into the second device, when you had only paid for one device?

That was an IT glitch that you were able to take advantage of, then. It is programmed to do that.

I have had the experience that the second device either won't log in until you log off the first (some ships) or it automatically knocks off the other device when you log in on the second. (other ships)

Are you saying that it didn't knock off the first device when you logged into the second device, when you had only paid for one device?

That was an IT glitch that you were able to take advantage of, then. It is programmed to do that.

I have had the experience that the second device either won't log in until you log off the first (some ships) or it automatically knocks off the other device when you log in on the second. (other ships)

Agree with Merion Mom. Sounds like you were able to take advantage of an IT glitch.

Agree with Merion Mom. Sounds like you were able to take advantage of an IT glitch.

Except they only said the second device was able to login. They never said both devices were actually using the Internet at the same time. It is possible the first device got bumped off and they just didn't realize it. Unless they continued browsing the Internet on that device, they may not have noticed. Hopefully they will respond. I'd like to know if there really was a glitch.

Except they only said the second device was able to login. They never said both devices were actually using the Internet at the same time. It is possible the first device got bumped off and they just didn't realize it. Unless they continued browsing the Internet on that device, they may not have noticed. Hopefully they will respond. I'd like to know if there really was a glitch.

That's what I asked him. He hasn't answered yet.

I have heard the experience that the second device either won't log in until you log off the first (some ships) or it automatically knocks off the other device when you log in on the second. (other ships)

There were many reports last fall that on Oasis you could indeed log in 2 devices simultaneously on the one device package. We sailed over Christmas and I started off by purchasing the one device package but upgraded to the 2 device package once we found out that they had fixed the bug.

Not sure when the poster sailed, or if it was around that timeframe, or if that bug has returned.

There were many reports last fall that on Oasis you could indeed log in 2 devices simultaneously on the one device package. We sailed over Christmas and I started off by purchasing the one device package but upgraded to the 2 device package once we found out that they had fixed the bug.

Not sure when the poster sailed, or if it was around that timeframe, or if that bug has returned.

a5.gif

He was just on the Anthem in June.

We bought the 4 device package, no streaming , when they had a 30% off sale. I have 4 teens. Oops. That's 3 teens and a hubby ( pretty much the same). Hubby swore he wouldn't need service. On the first full day we had to upgrade to 5 devices. When we bought on sale I paid $139 for 4. In the ship it was $159for 4 and $179 for 5. A $20 difference. But.... To add the 5 th device after the fact I had to pay a per day price with a total of $35 for adding me. Buy before you go especially if there is a sale and buy for all devices or you will pay more than you should

Lisa

Thank you so much. I guess I just have to bite the bullet and buy ahead of time. I was hoping that the "sale" really would end up being just marketing and we could wait and see. But - with a hubby who is attached to his computer for work, and three kids (12, 9 and 6) - if one has internet on their games they ALL will want it. Thank you for the heads up on the pricing!

I guess I just have to bite the bullet and buy ahead of time. I was hoping that the "sale" really would end up being just marketing and we could wait and see. Thank you for the heads up on the pricing!

The pre-purchase price is 9.09/day while it's 12.99/day on board for one device SURF. All the other packages are similar. This is one case where RCI can actually claim to have a special/sale.

- unless someone was standing there at a monitor in IT watching - no one would really have noticed...and, tracking two devices would've been impossible, so don't worry about that.

Actually, there's IT watching, automatically. Not a person but the system itself. Most of the ships's WiFi is programmed to kick off a user when another logs in with the same login info when that account has reached its device limit.

Actually, there's IT watching, automatically. Not a person but the system itself. Most of the ships's WiFi is programmed to kick off a user when another logs in with the same login info when that account has reached its device limit.

Not the car with us on Anthem. My family was all logged in. DH didn't realize he had to type in logoff.com and thought he was off the wifi. When I tried it would give me a message that I couldn't have any more devices logged in at this time.

Lisa