Is the outside beverage ban making you look elsewhere??

UPNYGuy

But you can not bring any water (liquid) through security, you can only bring water on the plane if it was purchased after the TSA check-in. That is what NCL is doing, no bottled water after the security check point..

We're not on a plane for 7 days.

We have been away from cruising for a few years and are just now getting back in the habit (4 booked.) If you can't see my signature, this NCL cruise will be my 13th cruise, and I've travelled RCCL, Princess, X, HAL, Disney, Carnival, and Seabourn. So I have comparators.

I had not ever planned to sail NCL, feeling that it perhaps just wasn't the right choice for me based on a number of factors, and having many other options that appealed.

However, the time, embarkation port, children's services available, and price were right for a cruise this winter, so I decided to give it a whirl--- this 5 day cruise will be the shortest I've ever taken.

Frankly, I am so apprehensive about this cruise, that I still consider cancelling, except that I've already told my daughter and bought plane tickets, and I really don't want to spent 5 days in Tampa. Reading these boards lends the feeling that NCL is a money-grubbing (yes, I know they are a business, but this is just my feeling) company with nickel & dime tactics, confusing "perks" for booking (UBP or some other beverage topic is surely the subject of 1/2 of these threads!) that make it difficult to understand the upfront price and comparison shop, and now the new restrictions. I've never brought any type of soda or water onboard a ship, I don't drink soda and ship water is fine for me, but I like knowing that I CAN. I do like to bring some of my own alcoholic beverages (couple bottles of wine or maybe a small bottle of liquor) mostly because sometimes I just want to have a drink of what I want to have, in my room, in my PJs, without traipsing to a bar or waiting forever for room service. Believe me I still buy drinks onboard.

My first impression, so far, is poor. Unless I go on this ship and am truly WOWED (which seems unlikely) I think it is unlikely I'll ever go on another NCL ship. I haven't even tried it and already I have a poor taste in my mouth.

Way to go, NCL.

We're not on a plane for 7 days.

True, but the issue is not based on the length of time it is based on the possibily of a security threat and all the shops after the TSA check are have been cleared by airport security.

I wonder what would happen if NCL signed an exclusive deal with Skyy and the only liquor served on board would be vodka? No Captain Morgan, no Jack Daniels, no wine of any type--just vodka. I think a lot of the people who are calling out coke drinkers for being "entitled" would be singing their own "entitled" tune if that happened.

I'm not saying that's you specifically, but I've seen a lot of these types of posts and I just think we need to walk a mile in someone else's shoes before making generalizations like this.

Your analogy is ridiculous. NCL did not stop carrying other products, they have a cola product, they have a water product. They are just not your choice.

Your example is analogous to them not carrying my brand of vodka(Tito"s) and me being furious that I can not bring it on and declaring its crap that I have to pay so much for Grey Goose , so I am Never sailing NCL again. I guess I am going to jump to other lines (even though they have the same policy)

Now how ridiculous does your argument sound?

NCL has never been my 1st choice. I prefer Celebrity and Princess but when searching for a cruise I never completely rule any line out. All the changes in the last 18 months including this one means NCL has far more negatives to consider. So it will impact our choices.

Sailed the Escape in 2/2016 and almost everything requires a reservation. Want to eat in dining venue on a certain day and time, make a reservation. Want to see production shows, make a reservation. Want to see the comedy show, make a reservation. All this as much as 90 days in advance. How is this "freestyle"? I just don't get it. We did have Epic booked for the the end of January, 2017 but switched to Princess. A little more expensive but a better experience IMHO.

Good luck on Princess. We switch from Princess to NCL and have never looked back.

I have diverted the major portion of my cruising budget from NCL to other lines due to the constant barrage of changes by NCL. I did this before this latest change, and this simply bolsters my thoughts that I made the right decision.

We have made in excess of 50 cruises on NCL and were making at least five or six cruises per year mostly on NCL. The NCL cruises have diminished greatly, and we will probably exclude NCL in the future. I will not say I won't cruise NCL, but if I do, I will curtail my onboard spending and will ONLY book if the fares are low enough to offset the nickel and dime charges that Del Rio and company strive to extract from my budget.

I will add that so far this year, I have made one cruise on NCL, one on Carnival, and three on Princess. The experiences on Carnival and Princess were far more satisfying than the one on NCL.

Edited by swedish weave

All the pathetic changes FDR has implemented in the last year or so have upset many cruisers. More importantly FDR has been making lots of changes affecting the crew. They are being squeezed tighter and tighter and policies are being changed for the negative. Get to know a crew member on your next cruise and have an honest conversation about it with them. FDR is doing the best he can to squeeze everyone for an extra nickel and dime and ruining the company from the inside out, and the outside in.

Edited by Love my butler

My first impression, so far, is poor. Unless I go on this ship and am truly WOWED (which seems unlikely) I think it is unlikely I'll ever go on another NCL ship. I haven't even tried it and already I have a poor taste in my mouth.

Way to go, NCL.

If your impression is based on the whining here, that is very unfair to NCL. You should at least try the ship and the service and make your own decision.

I have read comments here from people on the same cruise, and wondered how they could have had such an awful time when I had a good vacation.

Some people are on vacation, and adjust. Some people never adjust, they post diatribes on CC.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Im a fairly new to cruising, completing only 4 so far. NCL was my first and up to this point my favorite, but that being said, last time i sailed the room service was free. So now im booked on the same ship, Pearl similar itinerary but this time with UBP for the first time and in a balcony. I was planning on picking up some soda at our first port, if my DD didnt like the options but now won't even disembark. (HOME TOWN) a cruise is still a luxury vacation for me, so my choices are based more on affordability and itinerary. After all is said and done, its who gives me the best bang for my buck

With so many people bring water bottles to fill up at the drink stations, those lines will be long. As long as people don't vote with their wallets on all the changes there will be more coming! The next set might be worst than these, If NCL starts seeing booking go down in numbers things will change back fast and the next set of changes won't happen.

With so many people bring water bottles to fill up at the drink stations, those lines will be long. As long as people don't vote with their wallets on all the changes there will be more coming! The next set might be worst than these, If NCL starts seeing booking go down in numbers things will change back fast and the next set of changes won't happen.

I can't see it being longer than any other times....

Get to know a crew member on your next cruise and have an honest conversation about it with them.

Again, perceptions seem to be so different. I have noticed little change in the feedback I get from crew members when talking to them.

In fact, the last two who I have spoken to about working for NCL have given very positive comparisons compared to the other lines that they have worked for.

I have seen some comments online from ex employees, so I'm not for a second suggesting that there isn't some issue, but I don't see it from my onboard experience.

With so many people bring water bottles to fill up at the drink stations, those lines will be long.

This can only be speculation.

In not convinced how many people actually bring drinks onboard anyway. It isn't something that I have ever paid too much attention to, but I don't recall seeing loads of people carrying drinks onboard, whether handing over cases of water/soda to the porters or carrying them onboard themselves. I've seen some, but not many.

I certainly don't know for sure, but I wonder whether the reaction here is that representative of the cruising public as a whole.

In not convinced how many people actually bring drinks onboard anyway. It isn't something that I have ever paid too much attention to, but I don't recall seeing loads of people carrying drinks onboard, whether handing over cases of water/soda to the porters or carrying them onboard themselves. I've seen some, but not many.

I certainly don't know for sure, but I wonder whether the reaction here is that representative of the cruising public as a whole.

Exactly. I said the same thing in the other ginormous thread. I truly feel that this new policy will affect a small number of cruisers. Of those, most will say "darn", and be over it in about 4 seconds. An even smaller percentage of that small percentage will post about it for weeks on a message board trying to start a revolution against change. An even smaller percentage of that percentage will go cruise elsewhere while someone else books and fills their cabins.

We are NCL Platinum, but also explored the MSC schedule. We are also curious about Oasis class ships on RCCL, so we anticipate sailing on those in the future. I do love many things about NCL, but do see a pattern of more and more changes trying to get extra revenue. Since we have just moved to Florida, we are going to diversify vacation oportunites for value.

Again, perceptions seem to be so different. I have noticed little change in the feedback I get from crew members when talking to them.

In fact, the last two who I have spoken to about working for NCL have given very positive comparisons compared to the other lines that they have worked for.

I have seen some comments online from ex employees, so I'm not for a second suggesting that there isn't some issue, but I don't see it from my onboard experience.

GlassDoor.com has many reviews from NCL employees, and "current management" is not mentioned in many of them. The reviews are mixed, but for the most part people working for NCL seem to like NCL.

When talking to people casually there's a lot of "confirmation bias" that can creep in, so I'm more comfortable looking at other sources than relying on my perception of a conversation.

We have been away from cruising for a few years and are just now getting back in the habit (4 booked.) If you can't see my signature, this NCL cruise will be my 13th cruise, and I've travelled RCCL, Princess, X, HAL, Disney, Carnival, and Seabourn. So I have comparators.

I had not ever planned to sail NCL, feeling that it perhaps just wasn't the right choice for me based on a number of factors, and having many other options that appealed.

However, the time, embarkation port, children's services available, and price were right for a cruise this winter, so I decided to give it a whirl--- this 5 day cruise will be the shortest I've ever taken.

Frankly, I am so apprehensive about this cruise, that I still consider cancelling, except that I've already told my daughter and bought plane tickets, and I really don't want to spent 5 days in Tampa. Reading these boards lends the feeling that NCL is a money-grubbing (yes, I know they are a business, but this is just my feeling) company with nickel & dime tactics, confusing "perks" for booking (UBP or some other beverage topic is surely the subject of 1/2 of these threads!) that make it difficult to understand the upfront price and comparison shop, and now the new restrictions. I've never brought any type of soda or water onboard a ship, I don't drink soda and ship water is fine for me, but I like knowing that I CAN. I do like to bring some of my own alcoholic beverages (couple bottles of wine or maybe a small bottle of liquor) mostly because sometimes I just want to have a drink of what I want to have, in my room, in my PJs, without traipsing to a bar or waiting forever for room service. Believe me I still buy drinks onboard.

Way to go, NCL.

You really should cancel if you are that apprehensive, otherwise this might just become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Not me - the hogs that bragged about bringing in hidden booze have spoiled it all for the honest passengers - you do know that the cruise lines read all the posts so it isn't any wonder at all these new or newer regulations. This happened with the cases of wine people brought on board - now only one allowed if at all. [emoji102][emoji102][emoji102]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Lucy Jane

When talking to people casually there's a lot of "confirmation bias" that can creep in, so I'm more comfortable looking at other sources than relying on my perception of a conversation.

Yes, this is true. The conversations I trust most are those that haven't been prompted by a question.

For example, on a recent cruise a member of staff had come back from a day out in port which was organised my the management team. He was telling us all about the activities that are arranged for them and was extremely positive. The input was totally unprompted. When we did ask about pay he stated that it was similar to his previous line, but slightly more.

If I do ever talk to the staff about their employment (which I don't do very often), I try not to lead the conversation either way, but I certainly couldn't guarantee that I always succeed in that. On the Epic recently, I was in fact fairly negative as I had read so much in the lead up about how unhappy the staff were on that ship.

To be honest, rather than confirmation bias, I think the biggest opportunity for getting an incorrectly positive response would be the fear that someone may get caught criticising their employers. If I was in a job like that then I would try to avoid being too open about any grievances I have in case I was talking to the wrong person, or got reported/overheard. That doesn't just apply to NCL.

Having said that, it doesn't necessarily mean that people would overly praise the company instead. Avoiding the question works just as well, or just saying that they are a good employer and leaving it at that.

Not me - the hogs that bragged about bringing in hidden booze have spoiled it all for the honest passengers - you do know that the cruise lines read all the posts so it isn't any wonder at all these new or newer regulations. This happened with the cases of wine people brought on board - now only one allowed if at all. [emoji102][emoji102][emoji102]

Allowed only one case of wine?

Do you even know what you are talking about?

I think for some of us, even though the drink policy doesn't affect us personally, it is reflective of an attitude that clearly is permeating NCL and doesn't bode well for the future. I've never brought a drink on board, but I just booked our next two cruises on MSC when we've been exclusively NCL. Maybe we'll come running back. Or maybe we'll stay gone for good.

In the end, though, I agree with your ultimate point. I don't think it will lead to a reduction in cabin sales, just maybe a bit of redistribution of who is in those cabins. Fuel is so cheap right now that if you and I had a ship we could probably figure out how to run it for a profit.

In the end, those hoping this will lead to changes at NCL are engaged in wishful thinking. You just need to make your decision to move to another line, or just take your lumps. While I do think NCL is headed down a path where it may reach critical mass and they will have pushed too far and will have to dial it back, I don't think this beverage policy is going to get things there.

Agree. Also, we do have some pretty good insider info since our son works for NCL and has for the past 4 years. Sure he has some complaints but all in all, he enjoys what he does and his fellow crewmembers seem pretty happy (at least in his pictures with them). He has been on 5 different ships and each has had some good and some not so good stuff.

This thread reminds me how much I used to enjoy seeing those little chocolates on my bed at the end of the night.

Actually, what is funny is that everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and needs to chose a cruise (or ship) that fits them. We are still going on the NCL cruise even after I broke the news to my DW that the Getaway does not serve shrimp cocktail in the MDR (my DW has probably ordered that for an appetizer for every MDR dinner we have ever been on), but even that shocking news was not enough for her to tell me to cancel our first cruise on NCL.

But no, the changes have not impacted on my decision to cancel this cruise.

Gee, I hope NCL enjoys reading these posts. I'm sure they will adjust their rules accordingly.

In the end, though, I agree with your ultimate point. I don't think it will lead to a reduction in cabin sales, just maybe a bit of redistribution of who is in those cabins.

That isn't actually my point. I don't really have an opinion either way as to what effect these changes will make on future booking levels.

I was just talking about the specific point made about queues at the water machines in the buffet. I am far from convinced that there are large numbers of people who currently carry on their own drinks.