Istanbul Cancelled July 17 sailing

I am sure that if they knew a month ago that there was going to be a terrorist episode and a coup attempt, they would have made the changes earlier.

DON

They did make the changes earlier than yesterday. If they were ready to announce new ports when they announced the cancellation, they had been working on the change for a while. As HAL captains are fond of saying about Code Red, "in an abundance of caution."

Some heremreally don't read precious post do they 😏

The HAL announcement came hours before any coup, posters who complained did have a reason as at that point in time, the security situation and evaluation in IST had been unchanged since 01 July.

Yes obviously, at the moment it is out of the question to dock in Istanbul, Nobody is complaining about that.

The HAL announcement came hours before any coup, posters who complained did have a reason as at that point in time, the security situation and evaluation in IST had been unchanged since 01 July.

Yes obviously, at the moment it is out of the question to dock in Istanbul, Nobody is complaining about that.

Actually, someone was complaining about it .... see the post I have quoted that follows.

As for the announcement coming hours before any attempted coup, we have no idea what information was available that was not public knowledge.

I'm extremely dissapointed and very upset they claim terror as reason for cancellation.

The new ports added are some of the worst places to add on for me.

Was very much looking forward to Istanbul and now I can't even cancel on travel insurance since the official reason is terror threat.

Cowardly to wait this long to cancel and our first cruise experience is off to a very bad start.:mad:

Which post was precious? :confused::confused:

Over 160 casualties and people are complaining of missing a few ports? I can not understand all this........

The ports substituted are really good ones, too! They are not Istanbul certainly, but a lot better than I would have thought HAL could pull together.

I hope all you people on this cruise have the best time, nevertheless!

Edited by SilvertoGold

The ports substituted are really good ones, too! They are not Istanbul certainly, but a lot better than I would have thought HAL could pull together.

I hope all you people on this cruise have the best time, nevertheless!

+1. Definitely decent ports. I know it's last minute but even before the coup attempt it was probably a good thing to do. Maybe even sooner;)

Some heremreally don't read precious post do they

Maybe I should call HAL for this weeks lottery numbers. Or is it possible that HAL may have received info from a governmental agency that there was a strong possibility of trouble in the area.

Sorry...meant indeed Previous...

The replacement ports are indeed very good, and except for the stress of replanning, we are happy campers.

My company has access to the most recent and accurate Security information, and was unaware of the coup untill it was underway, and as a result we did have a situation with one of our aircraft and crew on Istanbul. Contingency procedures luckily worked.

I'm extremely dissapointed and very upset they claim terror as reason for cancellation.

The new ports added are some of the worst places to add on for me.

Was very much looking forward to Istanbul and now I can't even cancel on travel insurance since the official reason is terror threat.

Cowardly to wait this long to cancel and our first cruise experience is off to a very bad start.:mad:

Of course HAL should have known about the coup sufficiently in advance to give you the notice to which you feel entitled. Shame on them!

I can't believe the bevy of whiners who, selfishly, can only think of themselves when so many people have died in Turkey. Get a grip, people. There's been an attempted coup, people are dead, things are burning, government in chaos, and all you can think about is missing out on your precious port? Shaking my head in disgust and shame at some of my fellow humans.

I can't believe the bevy of whiners who, selfishly, can only think of themselves when so many people have died in Turkey. Get a grip, people. There's been an attempted coup, people are dead, things are burning, government in chaos, and all you can think about is missing out on your precious port? Shaking my head in disgust and shame at some of my fellow humans.

I think we're entering a new era of cruising - especially in areas that may be more at risk than others.

I personally feel that people who take cruises to these areas must be prepared for changes and if one particular place is deal breaker, then they should take a land based vacation rather than a cruise, or they need to buy cancel for any reason insurance.

About four years ago we were booked on Brilliance OTS with Egypt being the main event and the primary reason for going on that particular cruise. Two weeks before departure, we had a medical emergency and had to cancel,(yes we had insurance.) As it turned out, the ship ran into a storm in the Med and never even made it to Egypt, so for us it turned out to be a blessing that our plans changed, but it was a lesson learned - never again would I plan a cruise around one port because anything can happen.

In today's world people have a right to be disappointed if an itinerary changes, but IMHO, that's as far as it should go.

Edited by mek

as cruisemom posted earlier, this thread was started BEFORE the coup and many posted BEFORE the coup.

I think it matters in the sense that people are being taken to task for complaining when at the time they posted no one knew about the coup.

Before you shake your head in disgust and shame, it's always a good idea to read the thread. Her post was on this page.

the world is a sad place and it is sad to see the loss of lives in Nice, Turkey and now, in Louisiana. We mourn for them all.

Maybe I should call HAL for this weeks lottery numbers. Or is it possible that HAL may have received info from a governmental agency that there was a strong possibility of trouble in the area.

It was probably HAL's withdrawal of the Istanbul stop that triggered the coup attempt.

No, obviously the "...security situation and evaluation..." in "IST". . must have been changing on an hourly basis - obviously the coup plans were evolving, and any responsible organization (HAL, for example) would consistently be considering their evaluation.

It might just be that HAL had a better sense of risk evaluation than the US State Department.

as cruisemom posted earlier, this thread was started BEFORE the coup and many posted BEFORE the coup.

Before you shake your head in disgust and shame, it's always a good idea to read the thread. Her post was on this page.

the world is a sad place and it is sad to see the loss of lives in Nice, Turkey and now, in Louisiana. We mourn for them all.

+1. Well said.

I think we're entering a new era of cruising - especially in areas that may be more at risk than others.

I personally feel that people who take cruises to these areas must be prepared for changes and if one particular place is deal breaker, then they should take a land based vacation rather than a cruise, or they need to buy cancel for any reason insurance.

About four years ago we were booked on Brilliance OTS with Egypt being the main event and the primary reason for going on that particular cruise. Two weeks before departure, we had a medical emergency and had to cancel,(yes we had insurance.) As it turned out, the ship ran into a storm in the Med and never even made it to Egypt, so for us it turned out to be a blessing that our plans changed, but it was a lesson learned - never again would I plan a cruise around one port because anything can happen.

In today's world people have a right to be disappointed if an itinerary changes, but IMHO, that's as far as it should go.

Good points!

Cruising has never been a guaranteed event. Hurricanes, earthquakes, mechanical issues, medical evacuations, political unrest. All of these situations have been around from the beginning to interrupt and change a cruise's itinerary.

It has always been: you pay your money and you take your chances.