Patter only delivered to staterooms on seadays?? read on

Bababooey Land

what days would you like the Patter to be delivered to stateroom?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. what days would you like the Patter to be delivered to stateroom?

• All Days
    • Only on Sea Days
    • who cares, i never read it!

It is amazing how upset people are over having to walk

to the purser's desk if they want a patter.

It's not so much the trip to the PSD that's annoying. It's the standing in line at times waiting behind a long line other people with their concerns for many minutes on end that gets me. :(

The princess note that was posted said:

"Starting tomorrow July 7th, Princess Patters (daily activity guide)

will only be delivered to guest staterooms on seadays.

During ports of call,

Princess Patters will be available

from the Passenger Services Desk on deck 5."

I get it, we go on vacation to relax and be serviced not to "serve ourselves"... this is just like many other businesses, who want the customer to do all the work. Shame on Princess.

Two more votes to keep the patter DELIVERED. We do read it every night before we go to bed. We also refer to it during the next day. We are two in the "older" group and plan to continue to cruise. Memory retention is not quite as good as it was and will get worse. We do not use or like cell phones and while savey on the computer at home, an unfamiliar device in the room such as an online schedule can get frustrating. While technology is fascinating, it can also be frustrating. We hope Princess will drop this idea and let us continue to enjoy the cruises. We can easily do without the nightly chocolates and towel animals. They are nice but not necessary. We consider the patter necessary. We could go to the desk to get it but would find that an inconvenience. Like the newspapers, the racks would sometimes be empty.

It's not so much the trip to the PSD that's annoying. It's the standing in line at times waiting behind a long line other people with their concerns for many minutes on end that gets me. :(

You don't wait in line. Typically they are on a shelf in the purser area in multiple languages

The princess note that was posted said:

"Starting tomorrow July 7th, Princess Patters (daily activity guide)

will only be delivered to guest staterooms on seadays.

During ports of call,

Princess Patters will be available

from the Passenger Services Desk on deck 5."

I am willing to bet they are not asking people to walk to the pursers desk to pick up their advertising brochures. Ya think???

Will the next day's patter be available the night before?.....:confused::confused::confused:

Bob

Even currently, I have been able to get "tomorrow's" patter the night

before -- at the purser's desk. After some time, like 10PM.

One of the fun tasks of the person working overnight at the desk:

Take a huge stack of the patters that are delivered from the print

shop, and fold them one-by-one, so that they are folded when

passengers receive them.

Often there is a display rack at one end of the desk with patters.

On some cruises, you have to ask a person at the desk.

Like all things on princess, this is consistently inconsistent.

That should actually be Princess' slogan:

"Escape consistency completely."

It would seem to me that if there were a huge line of people

wanting to pick up patters that they would fill the rack.

To me, it's way more annoying that they dropped dining room lunch

on port days, than not bringing a patter to the cabin on port days.

Edited by pablo222

I am willing to bet they are not asking people to walk to the pursers desk to pick up their advertising brochures. Ya think???

LOL! Amen! As long as they keep loading us up with useless paper advertising the art auctions, the spa, etc., they are in no position to argue that reducing Patter delivery will save paper. I wonder if they will make the ads available electronically, too. I'm sure many people will spend lots of time reading them. :rolleyes: What is more likely is the electronic Patter will be cluttered up with ads and you will have to pay a fee to remove them. (There I go, doing the Dumb Ideas department its job for it.)

You don't wait in line. Typically they are on a shelf in the purser area in multiple languages

On which Princess ship has this been done? I have seen excursion info out like that in front of the excursion desk.

On which Princess ship has this been done? I have seen excursion info out like that in front of the excursion desk.

I don't go looking for it because we have it in the room. But if I am looking for an additional one I can find it at the end of the Purser's Desk and there is often more then one language.

I love when we go back to our cabin in the evening that the patter is waiting on the bed with my chocolate for me to read and bore my other half with reading to him everything that is taking place the next day!!!

If they stop delivering it I will really miss it - please keep delivering it to the cabins Princess

With this procedure being tested on the Regal, it's apparent to me that the Princess marketing team doesn't even comprehend the demographics of their passengers.

Maybe the team is mostly millennials who do not understand that it's mostly the baby boomer generation retirees who are their passengers. I wonder if the marketing team members are like many of the Princess reps who have little to no cruise experience. They say that the team does extensive research & analysis before implementing changes while respecting the sentiments of passengers. I understand this poll is not a scientific study but with over 97% of passengers opposed to this change, that's something their marketing team needs to consider.

As I previously posted, Princess can quickly respond to negative changes such as the May 2014 change on the Regal's inaugural cruise of charging $10 (soda, beer or wine included) for Alfredo's Pizzeria which after a few days was eliminated after a similar strong outcry at that change.

I understand that for Princess to succeed they need to attract younger generations of passengers who use more technology but this change isn't going to help. But Princess' clientele are much different from generations who are obsessed with their devices & walk off cliffs while playing Pokemon Go! :eek:

If they implement this policy fleetwide, I'm doubtful if they'll print sufficient Patters to have a minimum of one per cabin. After all, their marketing team is doing this for the environment & in response to our feedback to make this change. Do they think their clients are that gullible to believe such marketing hype? :rolleyes: Apparently they do...wrong. It's a cost savings measure & for the environment they won't print enough Patters for passengers to use on port days.

I'm a baby boomer who uses my smartphone & the Princess@Sea intranet enhances my onboard experience but it's not a replacement for a printed Patter.

I would be more likely to attend to the sales fliers if there was just one page, provided at the beginning of the cruise, for each area (i.e. spa/salon, art auction, shops, photos, port shopping, etc.) and that one page included ALL the specials they were planning to have for the entire cruise! It would say what's on sale/happening, what day, where, and when.

Then I could plan in advance to attend some of the events I found interesting or shop for things I might want.

Most of the time, because I don't look at or keep the multitude of fliers received daily, I only happen upon something or find out later it was entirely missed!

We can easily do without the nightly chocolates and towel animals.

I've been on Princess twice and never saw a towel animal. Carnival and NCL --yes, but not Princess. Do they do it on some ships or itineraries and not others?

I understand that for Princess to succeed they need to attract younger generations of passengers who use more technology but this change isn't going to help.

I would add that the [proposed change is putting the cart before the horse. Why not offer (relatively) higher speed internet like their competition is doing, attract the younger passenger demographic, make Princess@Sea more user friendly and THEN consider tampering with paper copies of the Patter?

Another vote for Patters delivered to my cabin each night!!!!

I don't have a smart phone & don't intend to get one.

Besides, isn't the Patter where you find the name/number of the cruise agent in each port -- in case of emergency?

Keep the paper Patter; lose the dozens of ads!:mad:

It's on the shipboard intranet.

Is there anyone left who doesn't have a smart phone, tablet, kindle, etc.?

I am one of many who does not own a smart phone. I do have a I pad and a lap top. I do not want to carry these items around the ship. Also, the lap top won't fit in my pocket like a folded Patter.

Besides, isn't the Patter where you find the name/number of the cruise agent in each port -- in case of emergency?

In the first post of this thread the OP provided a copy of the letter which states that Princess will provide passengers with a "Help Card" containing information on Port Agents & Embassies for all ports of call.

I still want a daily Patter & the letter indicates that the Help Card is enclosed with the notification letter. Does Princess really believe that passengers won't lose the card & require a replacement. :eek:

patter.pdf

With this procedure being tested on the Regal, it's apparent to me that the Princess marketing team doesn't even comprehend the demographics of their passengers.

DW and I are in our early 30s and started with Princess in our early 20s and have loved it. I'm a techie, I have the newest phone, tablets computer etc, read books on a kindle and a tablet. I keep my phone on me while cruising, in airplane mode, to take photos, as an alarm and to browse the patter occasionally.

However, I love the paper patter, I enjoy reading at night to see what they next day holds, some things you cannot replace with technology. I'm sure we are the exception and not the rule, but it's not just older generations that appreciate the printed patter.

Just back from the Princess Regal and we were given this notice in our stateroom on the first day. I added the notice as an attachment.

This sounds like a cost cutting move on the part of Princess, although they claim its for their environmental program. Personally, I enjoy reading the patter the night prior so I can plan the following day out. The App is cool and works well but I don't think it replaces a hard copy.

I think its great that Princess is trying to better the environment but for me this was a bust.

Out of Cunard/Celebrity/Princess, I found the "Patter" to be virtually useless. Yes, it gives you the goings on while on board, but I also like to see a bit of news around the world. The Patter also becomes a "hawker" for the junk you can buy while on board. Princess seems to have more of this garbage than the other lines we've cruised.

Princess' marketing people are now and have been for some years a completely clueless bunch with little to no knowledge of cruising. The idiotic things they dream up could not be invented by people who have actually been on a cruise ship.