Patter only delivered to staterooms on seadays?? read on

Bababooey Land

what days would you like the Patter to be delivered to stateroom?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. what days would you like the Patter to be delivered to stateroom?

• All Days
    • Only on Sea Days
    • who cares, i never read it!

Does this mean that on port days they also won’t deliver their advertising brochures to the cabins?

I am sure that you get multiple advertising stuff every day of the cruise. Just not the Patter. What I would do just to get back at them is when I went to wherever they had the things, I would take 6 or 7 of them, rip the extras up, walk to the desk and hand the ripped ones to the person at the desk and tell them that this is what I think of their new policy and of the company. My only worry about this response is that if they only print a limited number of the thing, some people who want them might not get them.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

This is not a good idea at all. One of the pleasures of cruising is the chance not to be staring at a screen with a smart phone glued to ones hand. Cut the junk. Keep the patter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First it was Butter-gate and now it's Patter-gate...wonder what will be the next cutback? Any guesses? ;)

Maybe to conserve water we'll be back to the original term...Water-gate! :p

Edited by Astro Flyer

Yes keep the Patter, our phones also go in the safe once on board. If people have to go now to customer services to collect them when so many people have to go there for other things as well, the ques could be longer then.

I would take 6 or 7 of them, rip the extras up, walk to the desk and hand the ripped ones to the person at the desk and tell them that this is what I think of their new policy

-- deleted --

Edited by pablo222

Once again, a complete inability to grasp that your reality isn't universal.

Um ... this is a poll. It certainly seems like the place to express an opinion,

even one contrary to yours.

If you notice at the top of the thread, there are a set of radio buttons:

Poll Options -- what days would you like the Patter to be delivered to stateroom?

-- All Days

-- Only on Sea Days

-- who cares, i never read it!

I realize the polls here should be:

-- people who agree with me

Edited by pablo222

Here is my 2 cents. Its not a leap to imagine a paperless cruise industry. One with no print shops on board. Photos you select arrive at home before you do. They would love to manage only one print shop for the entire line(s) from land. Or possibly only offer only digital files at the same price and make you take them to your favorite print shop yourself. A second or third generation princess@sea system that forces you to wade through the ads ad nauseum. One after another drilling your way down though each ad to get to a daily schedule. Imagine no paper information of any kind in your room. Everything can be found on your in cabin monitor or the monitors provided at guest services. Complementary electronic devices available for those who didn't bring their own (deposit required) will also be available to you. Guest services of course is ready to assist you navigate this ad filled popup box maze of spa deals and jewelry specials when all you want is to know what time trivia begins. No doubt about it. It is coming. You may not like it, or you may be ready to embrace it. Understand if electronic information is not your cup of tea rest assured the next generation of cruisers are standing by to take the cruise(s) you are unwilling to.

I am a techie gadget junkie, I love the idea of ditching all the paper on the entire ship to and replace it with electronics. What I am not good at is determining if it is cheaper to plug in 5,000 devices at night or print 5000 patters? We all know any decision they make actually has nothing to do with the environment. Its always about the $$. My gut tells me once they can get the required information to each pax for less than they do now that will in short order become the standarized medium fleetwide. Jm2c

Edited by masterty

Yes keep the Patter, our phones also go in the safe once on board. If people have to go now to customer services to collect them when so many people have to go there for other things as well, the ques could be longer then.

Not if they're in a holder off to the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you notice at the top of the thread, there are a set of radio buttons:

Unfortunately, the polls don't show up on the mobile site.

(Nor is the multi-quote working but that's not part of this thread)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

My last few cruises there was just a rack of extra schedules near the customer service desk. If Princess truly wants to provide Patters only to those who need them, they could put racks in several places throughout the ship (like outside the dining rooms, theaters, or elevators) and put them out the night before at the same time as they currently distribute them. If I can still get it the night before, if I don't have to wait in line, and if I don't have to go super far to get one, then I don't mind if ALL the paper, including Patters is available that way.

Theoretically, princess at sea should provide an opportunity to expand the patter with actual descriptions and details, even pictures, of events.

I also could do away with the ads and the crew greeting. Just make a channel on the tv for a slide show with this information and perhaps have a few extra tvs playing the ads around in places where people have to wait.

I'll be on the Regal in October. This is our first Princess cruise and I don't find this very customer friendly at all. On other cruises (RCL, X and NCL), there is usually at rack at the customer service desk - usually with multiple languages (including English). Does Princess do this? I'm fine with grabbing my own copy, but to only provide it on sea days is crazy. Not everyone leaves the ship on port days. Our cruise has only one sea day and it's the last day. Considering this is our first Princess cruise I'm not familiar with many of the classic "Princess" activities.

Very bad idea indeed.

We still want the patters everyday as I don't want to carry my iPhone/iPad every where I go. My career requires me to be tethered to my phone 24/7 and my bride knows, that a cruise is about the only place I can get away from it. If my employer didn't provide them, I would have a pre-paid phone to use as needed.

not sent from my iPhone using some app........

I certainly hope this really is just a trial, and not the beginning of a fleet-wide roll out.

I am with everyone who favors continued daily delivery of the printed Patter to cabins each evening, for the next day. It's how I plan my days, and is my source of referrence throughout each day.

I am NOT into carrying a device (phone, tablet, etc) around all day so I can look at that version of the Patter. For the most part, my devices stay in my cabin, and are used there.

Princess took away the printed TV guide a few years ago, and forced us to use the onscreen guide, which is virtually useless. A lot of us really want to printed version back. It wasn't perfect, but it was way better than the onscreen one.

I really hope the printed Patter will NOT disappear, nor it's nightly delivery to our cabins.

Here is my 2 cents. Its not a leap to imagine a paperless cruise industry. One with no print shops on board. Photos you select arrive at home before you do. They would love to manage only one print shop for the entire line(s) from land. Or possibly only offer only digital files at the same price and make you take them to your favorite print shop yourself. A second or third generation princess@sea system that forces you to wade through the ads ad nauseum. One after another drilling your way down though each ad to get to a daily schedule. Imagine no paper information of any kind in your room. Everything can be found on your in cabin monitor or the monitors provided at guest services. Complementary electronic devices available for those who didn't bring their own (deposit required) will also be available to you. Guest services of course is ready to assist you navigate this ad filled popup box maze of spa deals and jewelry specials when all you want is to know what time trivia begins. No doubt about it. It is coming. You may not like it, or you may be ready to embrace it. Understand if electronic information is not your cup of tea rest assured the next generation of cruisers are standing by to take the cruise(s) you are unwilling to.

I am a techie gadget junkie, I love the idea of ditching all the paper on the entire ship to and replace it with electronics. What I am not good at is determining if it is cheaper to plug in 5,000 devices at night or print 5000 patters? We all know any decision they make actually has nothing to do with the environment. Its always about the $$. My gut tells me once they can get the required information to each pax for less than they do now that will in short order become the standarized medium fleetwide. Jm2c

Sorry, techie person, but if there was a thumbs DOWN icon, that's what I would give your post.

You need to understand and recognize that there is still a segment of the population that is not of the same mind as you, and don't want to be. We only have a cell phone to carry in case of an emergency, not for babbling constantly no matter where we are, or what we're doing (ie. driving). We use our tablets and computers to email with friends and family, read and post on Cruise Critic, get on FB, play games etc, Our lives don't revolve around today's electronic gadgetry, and we don't want to be forced to get that involved with those gadgets. Especially when we're on vacation!!

We may have to enlighten Princess by going to the Guest Services Desk, picking up copies of the Patters and leaving all the Sales Ads. Seeing is believing. But every time a "test" is conducted, we know it's a pre lim to a change. Happy Sailing.

PS: We save all of ours and place in travel file of the trip at home. Then when friends inquire what is available on a Princess cruise, we share the Patters with them and let them see for themselves. They are a valuable sales tool.

:rolleyes:

Come to think of it, I will probably ask DH to pick up a Patter as well, so we both have a copy. Wouldn't it be something if it turns out this 'test' resulted in MORE Patters being printed? LOL.

I think we have a movement starting!!

I'm not risking damage & possible loss of my $500 phone to just view a copy of the Patter.

It's much more convenient to carry 1 sheet of paper in my pocket so I guess I'll just have to make a trip to the PSD along with 400 or 500 other people to get one on port days. We seldom get off the ship for very long on port days and although there's not much in those Patters it still provides a ship schedule for movies & other limited events.

I sure hope they have a distribution rack & not make us stand in line waiting to ask for two copies. :rolleyes:

Instead of going to the Passenger Services desk to btain a Patter people should go there and ask about individual activities like " What activity is at 2:00 in the Piazza? When is the next trivia game? Where is the next trivia game? Can yu explain the procedures for tendering? Questions that would normally be answered in the Patter. Also use the phone for the same requests. The desk would become totally useless and prove the continuing need for the Patter.

The at sea app has been basically useless since its inception and any hopes for its improvement are wasted as they could have done it already.