Patter only delivered to staterooms on seadays?? read on

Bababooey Land

what days would you like the Patter to be delivered to stateroom?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. what days would you like the Patter to be delivered to stateroom?

• All Days
    • Only on Sea Days
    • who cares, i never read it!

While I still want my Patter delivered, I understand completely where masterty is coming from. The Patter is not being eliminated. It will still be printed. You just need to pick one up. Much like hotels have done with newspapers. The problem is, I just don't trust (yet) the quality and efficiency of TV screens and the ship intranet. But someday...

Here is my 2 cents. Its not a leap to imagine a paperless cruise industry. One with no print shops on board. Photos you select arrive at home before you do. They would love to manage only one print shop for the entire line(s) from land. Or possibly only offer only digital files at the same price and make you take them to your favorite print shop yourself. A second or third generation princess@sea system that forces you to wade through the ads ad nauseum. One after another drilling your way down though each ad to get to a daily schedule. Imagine no paper information of any kind in your room. Everything can be found on your in cabin monitor or the monitors provided at guest services. Complementary electronic devices available for those who didn't bring their own (deposit required) will also be available to you. Guest services of course is ready to assist you navigate this ad filled popup box maze of spa deals and jewelry specials when all you want is to know what time trivia begins. No doubt about it. It is coming. You may not like it, or you may be ready to embrace it. Understand if electronic information is not your cup of tea rest assured the next generation of cruisers are standing by to take the cruise(s) you are unwilling to.

I am a techie gadget junkie, I love the idea of ditching all the paper on the entire ship to and replace it with electronics. What I am not good at is determining if it is cheaper to plug in 5,000 devices at night or print 5000 patters? We all know any decision they make actually has nothing to do with the environment. Its always about the $$. My gut tells me once they can get the required information to each pax for less than they do now that will in short order become the standarized medium fleetwide. Jm2c

If Princess wants to inconvenience their passengers, that could be accomplish by making them go to the PSD to get a Patter. Especially if passengers have to stand in line or look around for a rack. That goes against their mission to provide an excellent experience certainly. I would think that's why all cruise ships do have the newsletter in the passenger cabins every night.

And the port agent info as well as the on board deadline needs to be available in written form. Some people talk about taking a photo of the sign by the gangway door, but I wouldn't want to rely on that if my camera's battery wears down while out in port.

As for getting the info on the cabin TV (especially when talking about the in-cabin entertainment), that was the system on our last cruise and I found that absolutely frustrating. Even my POS (yes, I mean it) Time Warner TV app doesn't require me to watch a continuous scroll. I just go on the guide and use the mouse to scroll down directly to the channels I'm checking. It's a crappy app (yes, POS), but at least I can find out what's on each channel at my speed. When it's working, that is.

And about "providing devices," sorry but many of us with a smart or dumb phone just aren't interested in lugging it around while on board. It's like those people who say they want to bring a walkie talkie....do they really want to be tied to one of those on board?

My hubby worked in IT for over 30 years, and he's not interested in getting his own personal phone. Again, not everyone wants to be tied to these. And for me, having a lightweight piece of paper with the activities listed is way more convenient.

I don't think I've ever complained about Princess on this forum! However, I'm one of their many customers who enjoys reading my Patter before going to sleep at night!

We,re boarding the Regal on 8/30 for 25 days. Commodore Romano, I ask you to please deliver our Patters to our cabins.

Edited by Eppe4

I have a smart phone - the most advanced one (W-10). It gets shut off and goes in the safe when we sail, to be taken out only when we disembark. I don't need my "electronic leash" on a cruise to escape completely (yes, we still do that).

I have a tablet, with the "Princess at Sea" app (yes, there IS one). Experience has shown me that best use of my tablet is to make an occasional check of my email. Or read a book.

The Princess Patter is how we schedule our time on board, and ports of call. DO NOT ELIMINATE, you will be taking away half the fun of cruising.

There is usually a patter on display at the Bar beside the IC.

I agree that the one piece of information we need on every port day is all on board time.

There's also usually one on display at the Wheelhouse Bar. And Explorer's Lounge, and at Skywalkers. And at the outside bars on the pool deck.... While handy, it doesn't replace having one in the cabin.

Fortunately, this is a trial run on one ship, and based in feedback here - I highly doubt it's going ship-wide any time soon... Now, if they could dump some of the useless flyers _ that would be great....

First understand, At this time I can not imagine not having a paper patter in my hand as I assume you want as well. At the same time I am not afraid of an app that I can take with me on and off the ship with all the same ease and simplicity of a paper patter in its place. Nothing like this exists today or anytime soon, so I am not too worried. I am not a bit surprised by the level of push back this topic initiated. It is human nature. Technology has for millennium killed traditions. Schools are no longer teaching handwriting (cursive). The very device you are reading this on is ruining our communications skills. Who memorizes a phone number anymore? Who purchases a paper TV Guide at the supermarket checkout? When was the last time any of us opened a newspaper to check theater times? When was the last time you dialed Popcorn? Purchased a disposable camera? Made a mix tape? Unfolded a paper map inside your car? Opened an encyclopedia? Put a roll of film in the mail to be sent off and developed? Opened up a hardbound copy of the Yellow Pages? Looked up something in a dictionary made of paper? Watch you favorite TV show at the time it actually starts? Warmed a drink on the stove? Hand washed clothes? Who of us advertise in the newspaper?

I suspect most everyone reading this is hailing their arm in the air saying "I do, I do". Some will claim "I still use the yellow pages", "I still sell items in the newspaper and keep my favorite paper dictionary right here...". Let me tell what I predict to be true. I predict most every first time cruiser with their young family does none of the above ever, or at minimum anymore.

If the past is any measure of the future, then technology will beat out tradition. No one likes change, but when did that ever matter? Like it or not, the ship will sail at a dollar amount that makes them the most money for their shareholders. Like it or not, once it makes economic sense, the decision is made. To all you hand wavers. Put down that crossword puzzle from that TV Guide pick up that remote control for that newfangled talkie recorder box. Verify it is set to record Frank Capra "It happened one night" (in HD of course) and enjoy your evening.

Why do you think they don't already get those calls?

I have been at the desk then the person has received phone calls asking:

1) What is the weather outside.

2) Can you read the dinner menu to me.

Why do you think I am not aware this is happening? I am aware of it and still think more people at the PSD area would make it an even bigger nightmare. How long do you think it would take before the PS desk would become totally useless because of the number of people there asking questions about items that would normally in the Patter

We cruise to unplug, we take our family (3 mini's ) every Thanksgiving and also cruise though out the year. We love the down time when we bring our family on a cruise. It's the only time we see them without a phone in their hand! On all cruises, the phones go in the safe unless we're checking in with family back home. Please don't give up on this last little wonderful part of cruising ünplugged"!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just back from the Princess Regal and we were given this notice in our stateroom on the first day. I added the notice as an attachment.

This sounds like a cost cutting move on the part of Princess, although they claim its for their environmental program. Personally, I enjoy reading the patter the night prior so I can plan the following day out. The App is cool and works well but I don't think it replaces a hard copy.

I think its great that Princess is trying to better the environment but for me this was a bust.

28340640712_bbfcf6cedb.jpg

Bob

I would feel better about this if I could actually the the @sea app to work. On our last cruise, it would spin and spin and spin. Never did get it to get past the start screen.

And even with Patters, I waited for Passenger Services to answer for about 20 minutes a couple of times. Then I gave up and went down there.

(Turns out the first time they were dealing with the guys whose luggage ended up on the Solstice).

Why do you think I am not aware this is happening? I am aware of it and still think more people at the PSD area would make it an even bigger nightmare. How long do you think it would take before the PS desk would become totally useless because of the number of people there asking questions about items that would normally in the Patter

This subject is about the patter not being delivered.

If there were a patter posted next to the desk, it would be

pretty silly to wait in line to ask a question, rather than stand

in front of the patter and read the answer.

Some people are even able to use the self-serve kiosk to print their

folio statements.

Edited by pablo222

I have a smart phone - the most advanced one (W-10). It gets shut off and goes in the safe when we sail, to be taken out only when we disembark.

Really? I recall you complaining that princess only had

IOS and Android versions of their app, and nothing for your

windows phone.

It's on the shipboard intranet.

Is there anyone left who doesn't have a smart phone, tablet, kindle, etc.?

Yes, that would be my husband! Does not own a smart phone, has no clue what to do with a computer, tablet,or a kindle. (Yes, I have offered to show him ,does not care to learn)

He has a flip phone, which he never answers, when I call ...............lol

Self serve kiosk???? Have not got him to use an ATM yet...lol

See ,there are people out there, that this would not work for.

Edited by Reader0108598

The princess note that was posted said:

"Starting tomorrow July 7th, Princess Patters (daily activity guide)

will only be delivered to guest staterooms on seadays.

During ports of call,

Princess Patters will be available

from the Passenger Services Desk on deck 5."

It is amazing how upset people are over having to walk

to the purser's desk if they want a patter.

Save the Patter! The first thing I do every evening is bring the Patter in to read about the next day's activities. It's one of the most fun parts of a cruise. We shouldn't have to walk to the Passenger's Service desk to get the Patter, either. What would really be bad, though, is if we still got all of those advertising inserts but no Patter.

Edited by Mackenzie1

This subject is about the patter not being delivered.

If there were a patter posted next to the desk, it would be

pretty silly to wait in line to ask a question, rather than stand

in front of the patter and read the answer.

Some people are even able to use the self-serve kiosk to print their

folio statements.

And guess what? I was talking about the Patter and so far there has been no definite word it would be posted next to the desk. Done with you.

I want the Patter on port and sea days. I use a old flip phone, which is all I need. I DON"T want to have to go to passenger service desk to pick on up on port days. Regal is a large ship and I can see some PAX who have a aft cabin might, not wanting to take that long hike in the morning to get a Patter.

Why do you think they don't already get those calls?

I have been at the desk then the person has received phone calls asking:

1) What is the weather outside.

2) Can you read the dinner menu to me.

They deserve calls like these on the Regal & Royal equipped with the new TV system which is more than capable of having the cabins menu's onscreen for viewing.

As for getting the info on the cabin TV (especially when talking about the in-cabin entertainment)' date=' that was the system on our last cruise and I found that absolutely frustrating. Even my POS (yes, I mean it) Time Warner TV app doesn't require me to watch a continuous scroll. I just go on the guide and use the mouse to scroll down directly to the channels I'm checking. It's a crappy app (yes, POS), but at least I can find out what's on each channel at my speed. When it's working, that is.

[/quote']

You would be ecstatic if you ever experienced Comcast's voice operated tuner.