Patter only delivered to staterooms on seadays?? read on

Bababooey Land

what days would you like the Patter to be delivered to stateroom?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. what days would you like the Patter to be delivered to stateroom?

• All Days
    • Only on Sea Days
    • who cares, i never read it!

That is quite simply one of the most stupid ideas Princess has had to date! Who do they think goes on cruises? It's not the teenagers who are on their phones all day. It's generally an older group who may not use smart phones, and often professional people (like me) who cruise because we can put our phones away!

Also, they don't have an app! They have that dumb intranet site that you have to log into every time you want to see something. Who came up with this ridiculous idea???

If their intent is to save paper...how about fewer sales brochures. We usually get 3-4 pieces of paper daily that go immediately into the trash can. Don't even look at them.:cool:

It's on the shipboard intranet.

Is there anyone left who doesn't have a smart phone, tablet, kindle, etc.?

I think I have every Patter and Caper (I think that's what Carnival used to call theirs) for every day I've been on a ship. I'm the one in the family that looks it over every night and give highlights to my family. I'm the one who always has it in my purse while off the ship in port...so there's no doubt as to "back on board" time.

My phone is turned off except for port days. I used my digital camera for taking photos during the cruise. I don't want to take up memory on my phone to add an app just to find out what's going on -- and it's a Windows phone (so neither my girl nor I can load Pokemon Go so that's a plus) which can't load android or apple apps.

In fact, I look around for a recycling bin on the ship so I can bring all that paper (ads) -- I don't go to the spa nor art auctions.

My hubby doesn't own a cell phone. When he retired last year, he turned in his company phone. He gives out my phone number, though...and I have a 100 min/mo limit -- I don't like phones anyway.

Never fear. I'm sure the cruise directors will be happy to increase the quantity and length of their announcements to ensure we are aware of every onboard spending opportunity. :eek:

Please no! Princess generally has few announcements (we can read the Patter) but they need to eliminate the useless art action announcements. Just like their advertising flyers, if I'm interested in something I can read about it in the Patter & hate their repetitive art auction announcements.

Edited by Astro Flyer

This is about the stupidest idea I've ever heard on any cruise line. I have yet to see an app that substitutes for the daily schedule (whether it is called a Patter or a Navigator, or whatever).

Yes, I have graduated to the world where I learned to use my daughter's cast off smart phone...but that doesn't mean I LIKE to use it. Give me a piece of paper any day.

But then, I'm that person who still reads real books.

As to saving paper...that stack of ads I get every night is FAR more paper and far more costly printing than the Patter.

I think I have every Patter and Caper (I think that's what Carnival used to call theirs) for every day I've been on a ship. I'm the one in the family that looks it over every night and give highlights to my family. I'm the one who always has it in my purse while off the ship in port...so there's no doubt as to "back on board" time.

I also have every daily paper from every cruise I have been on. I would like to say I have them organized in a notebook but that has yet happened. I still have them.

Isn't the Port Agent's info in the Patter? How are they going to give us that info? Don't take the port shopping papers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I love the first line..."After listening to your feedback..." Care to take a guess at how many people left feedback that suggested eliminating daily Patter delivery? I'm thinking of a round number. As in "0". This is an astonishingly shortsighted idea. First, as we can see from the poll results, there is no passenger inertia in this direction. Second, the ship depends on collateral source income, all of which is advertised in the Patter. From photos to bingo, to jewelry sales, to spa treatments. These are essential revenue streams for the ship, and if they think that people will pay as much attention to these things without a printed Patter in their mail slot, they're nuts. Honestly, truly nuts.

Question for Bababooey: How long was the line as the Passenger Service Desk to pick up a printed Patter each day?

It took about 1 second. And you had to get it after 930 pm

Edited by slwmjd

This is crazy...we love to come back to the cabin at night after a show, jump into bed, eat the chocolate and read the Patter for the next day.

Princess, bring back the Patter and don't mess with my routine! [emoji12]

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I don't own any type of phone, so that would do me no good. They won't stop all the paper for the other things. They want all the revenue from the new people. I wish all these lines would stop trying to cut out all the things that customers really want.

I sincerely hope Princess reads this thread.

This is just plain unacceptable. I don't get bothered about much of anything, in fact I would say I just deal with most issues and move on, but you're going to make me walk to guest service, wait in line every port day and get a Patter? Ridiculous. How about you stop printing 10,000 pictures that 90% of are thrown away? Taking away the one thing that people most likely use the most because it's not a revenue generator is greedy not environmentally friendly.

..... off soapbox

Amen!

It's on the shipboard intranet.

Is there anyone left who doesn't have a smart phone, tablet, kindle, etc.?

Me!! And I am a shrinking minority unfortunately. But I do have a question which will reveal my abysmal ignorance of smart phones, et al. To use the app, don't you need the onboard internet? If you need the onboard internet, this means its a win/win for them; less cost for paper to print and the more revenue for charges to check out the Patter.

Me!! And I am a shrinking minority unfortunately. But I do have a question which will reveal my abysmal ignorance of smart phones, et al. To use the app, don't you need the onboard internet? If you need the onboard internet, this means its a win/win for them; less cost for paper to print and the more revenue for charges to check out the Patter.

No app is necessary to access the Princess@Sea free "intranet" (not internet) Wi-Fi access without using any paid minutes because it's only a shipboard system accessed through your device's web browser.

Edited by Astro Flyer

No app is necessary to access the Princess@Sea free "intranet" (not internet) Wi-Fi access without using any paid minutes because it's only a shipboard system.

Thank you for clarifying that - I was thinking the same as the previous poster. Keep the Patters!

I guess you haven't been onboard a ship yet where you have to go to the pool deck to get beach towels if you are going on one of the many excursions involving water.

Another penny wise, pound foolish.

Oh, yes I have :D

Death by a thousand cuts...

I guess they need to find a way to help pay for things like useless novelty skywalks and fountain displays that take up valuable pool/deck space.

This might be the final straw in deciding that Princess just isn't worth paying a little extra for anymore. If I am wanting a quality (fuller inclusive) cruising experience, I'll start looking more at the semi-luxury lines (IE. Azamara, Oceania etc.)...

If I'm wanting to sail mass-market a la carte style cruising? I'm simply going to look for the very best deal available. Certainly familiarity, allegiance and even loyalty perks(which are diluted anyhow) won't play much of a factor in my decision.

From what I've also read more recently about Celebrity (and HAL's) cutbacks and/or decline in quality --all the while 'nickeling and diming' -- perhaps the category below 'semi-luxury' of so-called 'premium' cruiselines is disappearing and moving more towards 'budget'(AKA 'mainstream') each and everyday.

TRAVEL WEEKLY LISTS PRINCESS AS SUCH

Perhaps cruiselines like Princess et. al. need to stop expanding their fleet(s) with mega-ships aimed at attracting the masses and put some real attention into expanding their rarely changing vanilla itineraries and what type(s) of loyal customers they're trying to earn and retain.

I mean, if Princess is moving more towards Carnival, NCL, RCCL etc. with their model and yet still advertising considerably higher introductory brochure fares...Why bother with loyalty?

What's next? Prego's is now a buck a slice?

Thank you for clarifying that - I was thinking the same as the previous poster. Keep the Patters!

That's why I think it's ridiculous for Princess to think the Princess@Sea system would be a better option than the Patter...P@S is confusing to many passengers.

Not everyone is comfortable with P@S and I've read many posts on this forum that P@S is confusing to some passengers which to me is understandable & that's something Princess needs to understand.