Makeup remover

wondering about cleansing - so does everyone wash their face after using a makeup remover?

I use avon creamy eye makeup remover - or the bifacil lancome one ( have lots of small samples) then Olay regenerist facial wipes - find these work best for me.

I have now added micellar water after this - and this gets rids of lots of leftover makeup LOL....so surprising how much 'cleaner' my face is!

(then toner and serum and moisturizer)...

I'm great at a morning routine and TERRIBLE at night. I'm lucky when I remember to wash my face. So makeup remover + washing + all the other stuff - nope!:p On the other hand, I don't wear mascara or foundation so washing my face is all I seem to need. I use a gel cleanser at home and typically travel with wipes - I'm not wed to any brand and will use what I find that's affordable. Right now I have a big pack of Simple from Costco (well, each pack is small but it's a bunch of packs sold together a la Costco sizing ;))

Micellar water. Once you try it, you'll never go back.

I don't use a seperate eye makeup remover any more either, just micellar for everything.

All good brands seem to make a micellar water these days.

I have yet to use micellar for 'everything' LOL - so how many 'cotton pads' does it take? I think I would be using up whole bottles very quickly? LOL;)

I'm great at a morning routine and TERRIBLE at night. I'm lucky when I remember to wash my face. So makeup remover + washing + all the other stuff - nope!:p On the other hand, I don't wear mascara or foundation so washing my face is all I seem to need. I use a gel cleanser at home and typically travel with wipes - I'm not wed to any brand and will use what I find that's affordable. Right now I have a big pack of Simple from Costco (well, each pack is small but it's a bunch of packs sold together a la Costco sizing ;))

I now wear foundation most days and eyepencil/mascara etc and altho many nights I am tired and lazy I always try to clean my face before bed - and as I get older it takes longer and longer!:eek::rolleyes:

Finally caved and bought some of the Micellar water (Garnier brand). I bought both the normal kind and the 'removes waterproof mascara' kind. The former is fine, but the latter is like washing your face with baby oil (or standard oily makeup remover). Felt pretty gross, also irritated my (admittedly sensitive) eyes.

I just used the Neutrogena wipes again on vacation. They are so convenient and can remove whatever i wear quickly and easily. While i don't wear waterproof makeup i do wear a lot of smudge proof and water resistant formulas. I have extremely sensitive skin.

79cc6bd850dbaa5d833b00ef7d3b29be.jpg

a72fdb3735d2e3b3cc42d552d8f6e619.jpg

Both pictures...

IT Your Skin but Better CC+ cream fountain

Urban Decay pressed eyeshadows

Urban Decay 24/7 glide-on eye pencils

Benefit They're Real! mascara (smudgeproof)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 7 edge using Tapatalk.

Edited by sherilyn70

Both pictures...

IT Your Skin but Better CC+ cream fountain

Urban Decay pressed eyeshadows

Urban Decay 24/7 glide-on eye pencils

Benefit They're Real! mascara (smudgeproof)

Just had to add that I too wear the IT foundation mentioned (love it) and I am a huge fan of the Urban Decay eye pencils too! :)

Have not tried their eyeshadows tho - and while I am also a fan of the Benefit mascara for some reason I 'react' to it - so cannot use it on a daily basis :(

I use Neutrogena wipes too. I have sensitive skin and stay away from products with perfume. These are very gentle but work very well. The Clinique product mentioned above is very good also but I try to limit liquids when traveling. The contact lens case idea is very good, thanks for sharing.

Edited by MJC

I swear by the Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner pencils. Bulletproof. I do put a little Too Faces Shadow Insurance primer on first before I use the pencil. Honestly, it stays put for 24 hours!!! Whiskey or Bourbon is what I wear for work, Roach, Crash, Psychedelic Sister, Ransom and many others for everything else - it depends on my mood. I rarely wear eyeshadow, but when I decide to, I have my Urban Decay Naked II palette. I'll travel with just my round of Naked.

I wanted to like the Benefit mascaras - had trials of several - but my eyes just couldn't handle them. I'm sticking with my Blinc when I must do mascara.

Huge fan of Blinc tubing mascara, but sadly I have dry eye and can barely wear eye makeup.

The 24/7 sticks are serious business, if anything I stopped using them because I couldn't get the stuff off.

If anyone is into the original BB cream brands, the Korean stuff that kicked off the US trend of CC creams and whatever, let me know and I'll dig up links for a couple of my "holy grail" products tomorrow.

Over the years I have tried almost all of them (I do have sensitive skin) and I find that Avon of all things works best. It is a cream and no redness or breakouts.

I love and also use the Avon creamy eye makeup remover - works great for all type of eye makeup/mascara - and reasonably priced - esp when on sale (and I stock up!) ;) (very good reviews: https://www.avon.com/product/moisture-effective-eye-makeup-remover-lotion-30988 )

Huge fan of Blinc tubing mascara, but sadly I have dry eye and can barely wear eye makeup.

The 24/7 sticks are serious business, if anything I stopped using them because I couldn't get the stuff off.

If anyone is into the original BB cream brands, the Korean stuff that kicked off the US trend of CC creams and whatever, let me know and I'll dig up links for a couple of my "holy grail" products tomorrow.

I use Sephora Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover for the 24/7. A few wipes and it is gone. I'll travel with some in a contact lens case - shake and dab a cotton swab or pad into it and wipe away - lasts a week easy. If I need more, I'll take another lens case (I've got plenty laying around).

I can't stand BB/CC creams - looks like someone has put on clown makeup, to me. Too monotone - then you've got to pile on contour stuff, highlighter, cheek stuff to try to give "natural" look. Ugh.

I use Sephora Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover for the 24/7. A few wipes and it is gone. I'll travel with some in a contact lens case - shake and dab a cotton swab or pad into it and wipe away - lasts a week easy. If I need more, I'll take another lens case (I've got plenty laying around).

I can't stand BB/CC creams - looks like someone has put on clown makeup, to me. Too monotone - then you've got to pile on contour stuff, highlighter, cheek stuff to try to give "natural" look. Ugh.

I think that a lot of the creams have improved. I love this IT CC+ stuff. It gave me just enough coverage to even out the tone but not look like I'm really wearing foundation (as you can see in my close up shots).

The Neutrogena wipes get all of the 24/7 pencil off with just a wipe or two.

Perhaps my problem is that I do not do foundation or powders. I use moisturizer. I'll use Laura Mercier if I am going out to an event in town that requires upscale dressing. My current employer has a "makeup must be natural" requirement for Front-of-House staff. I bounce between Origins VitaZing or Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturizer "Protect and Perfect" (it gives a little glow but nothing else,just what I want). "Plain Jane" moisturizer outside of those two things. And all always have SPF 15 or higher.

I always remember what my Grandma would tell me - "God made you how He wanted you to be; don't go tarting yourself up like a Chinese wh*re. Every time I put on more than moisturizer and a little brown eyeliner, I think of her and I apologize to her...

I use baby wipes made for sensitive skin when I travel, because I don't like to take too many liquids that might leak. One pack lasts me a long time. I cut them in half and put them in a ziploc and put that in my toiletries bag. If they dry out, just wet them with water.

Someone already mentioned the Neutrogena wipes. These are great for traveling. Target, CVS, etc have the store brand equivalent of those a little cheaper. I love Target's Up &Up brand of everything I have tried and the brand is consistently rated high in Consumer Reports and such.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does anyone know a good mainline makeup remover? The one that is the same brand as the makeup I use doesn't really work well. It doesn't bother me at home since I use colored washcloths, but I don't like to get the white ones they use on ships and hotels stained.

Thanks,

Kathy

I've used either Dermalogica Pre-Cleanse or Neutragena Ultra-Light Cleansing Oil for about 10 years. It emulisfies with water and you rinse it off. Great for your entire face, and super gentle. You follow with your usual cleansing product.

I have a friend with super sensitive eyes and couldn't find anything for decades to remove her eye make-up without stinging. Dermalogica Pre-Cleanse worked for her.

What I like is no wiping around the eye area. It all done with the figertips, and rinsing.

Edited by pcur

Dollar tree has great wipes for a dollar a package. I was skeptical, but are as good as Ponds or CVS! I went back and bought 10 packages as I was afraid they would disappear! Great for travel and you get a lot of wipes in the package for a buck - 30 I believe!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not a fan of the towelettes for day-to-day home use (I usually use micellar water at home before washing my face). But for my every day eye makeup, I use the Almay Oil-Free Gentle Eye Makeup Remover Pads. Although, I'm not a fan of the Almay Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover Pads, they just feel so rough on my eyelids/eye area, and don't work very well for me.

I do use the Almay Oil-Free Makeup Remover Towelettes when I travel (or in my gym bag etc).

When I'm wearing waterproof mascara, I use either the Lancome Bi-Facil Double-Action Eye Makeup Remover or the Clarins Instant Eye Makeup Remover. They work beautifully for me - takes everything off - no rubbing, tugging, no eye irritation. Perfect. They offer these products in the travel/sample size so frequently as a 'gift with purchase', I've never had to actually buy the full size version and have quite a stockpile. :)

I have found that I'm particular about the cotton I use with the waterproof mascara remover. I used to just use a cotton ball or cotton pad, and then I tried some cotton pads from Muji (called 'cut cotton' on the label). Oh my gosh, they were so soft and perfect for the eye area. Maybe I'm a delicate flower, but they made a big difference. They are inexpensive, if you have a Muji store near you. A good comp are the Shiseido Facial Cotton (although more expensive).

I agree that BB/CC creams have improved - I don't wear foundation, but I do sometimes like to wear a BB/CC cream. You really just have to find one that works for you - some are VERY much like foundation, and some a more of a tinted cream. I personally was a HUGE fan of the Urban Decay Naked Skin Beauty Balm. And of course, it got discontinued! Currently searching for a new one! :(

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know a good mainline makeup remover? The one that is the same brand as the makeup I use doesn't really work well. It doesn't bother me at home since I use colored washcloths, but I don't like to get the white ones they use on ships and hotels stained.

Thanks,

Kathy

Micellar Water is the holy grail of makeup removers. Its super gentle, but takes off even my waterproof mascara. And it's no rinse, so you don't have to wash your face after if you don't want to (a life saver for me since I have very dry skin.) A lot of brands make it, but I buy Garnier because I can pick it up in Walgreens. You can use it with any cotton pads, but I like to buy either Shisheido or Koh Gen Do's natural face cotton.

I agree with everyone else on face wipes for face makeup. The only thing that gets mascara off my lashes is oil-based. I prefer the Clinique Take the Day Off (the one that looks like it's oil and water in a purple bottle). One gentle swipe and my mascara is off. You can pour it into a smaller container to travel (shake it first to mix it up); I never need much.

I have always used the Clinique Take the Day Off for years. My daughter likes the Neutrogena wipes, but they don't seem to like me.

Clinique just came out with a new Take the Day Off Balm that I have started using in conjunction with the same line of eye makeup remover and it really leaves my skin feeling clean, soft and silky! DD just came home from school for a week and took mine home with her!