$1500 to change from cat E2 to E1???????

Perl47

We're booked on a cruise in October and decided we'd like a different cabin. If someone made the reservation today, the cost is only $33 more so I assumed if would be $200 or so.

Anyway, I was told by Cruises Only (RCCL won't talk to me about it because we booked though Cruises Only) that they'd have to cancel our reservation and book us a new one using todays prices. The difference between what we paid for our Cat E2 and today's price for E1 is $1500.

That just doesn't sound logical to me so I'm wondering if anyone hear knows how it works.

Thanks!

We're booked on a cruise in October and decided we'd like a different cabin. If someone made the reservation today, the cost is only $33 more so I assumed if would be $200 or so.

Anyway, I was told by Cruises Only (RCCL won't talk to me about it because we booked though Cruises Only) that they'd have to cancel our reservation and book us a new one using todays prices. The difference between what we paid for our Cat E2 and today's price for E1 is $1500.

That just doesn't sound logical to me so I'm wondering if anyone hear knows how it works.

Thanks!

Even though there may only be a small difference in price between categories at today's pricing the information your travel agent gave you was correct. Because you are changing categories you are essentially cancelling your reservation and having to book at today's prices.

My next 2 cruises have more than doubled in current pricing as compared to what I paid for them.

You can however change with no cost to any other E2 cabin.

The way it works is that your old reservation has no bearing on what you pay for a new reservation. The only thing that counts is what they are charging for that category the day you book.

I have been watching the cruises I have reserved. If I were to reserve the same cabin today, all but one cruise has gone up $300 or more.

Thanks!

I guess that you want 8102, eh? ;)

Let me say two things.

1. You could try calling RC and asking if they would like to "upsell" you.

2. You could use the "sour grapes" psych-out. The noise from the Centrum at night can be very loud, even with the fire door closed. You may have dodged a bullet by NOT getting that cabin. :D

What do you mean by "if you booked today it would only be $33 dollars more?" Is the price you see online only $33 more than what you paid, but the travel agent you used is charging you $1500 more? Or did you mean that when you booked your cabin, the higher category was $33 more at that time? If that's the case...why didn't you get the $33 more expensive cabin in the first place?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks!

Sounds normal to me.

Are you still in cancel with no penalty period?

What do you mean by "if you booked today it would only be $33 dollars more?" Is the price you see online only $33 more than what you paid, but the travel agent you used is charging you $1500 more? Or did you mean that when you booked your cabin, the higher category was $33 more at that time? If that's the case...why didn't you get the $33 more expensive cabin in the first place?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I took it as when they looked at the prices today, an E1 was $33 more than an E2 in today's prices, which has absolutely no bearing on what it would cost to upgrade.

Thank you for all the replies, they're much appreciated.

To clarify,

1. Yes, we were going to switch to 8102. Mostly because we just realized there is only a single chair in our cabin and we both have back problems so we wanted a cabin with a sofa so we could both sit down when we watch TV and/or read.

2. I had no idea you couldn't upgrade by just paying the difference. Lesson learned.

3. If I booked yesterday, the difference was only $33 at today's prices. I have no idea what it was when we booked. We did it onboard and it was a rush-rush thing and since we've never seen a cabin without a sofa, we didn't realize they existed.

4. We can cancel penalty free until tomorrow and that's what we're going to do. 14 days without anywhere to sit when I read is not for me and I'm not paying $1500 to get one. We live in FLA, we can hop on a 7-day cruise for less than $1500 so it would be ridiculous to pay the higher rate.

Thanks again.

... I had no idea you couldn't upgrade by just paying the difference. ...

You can upgrade by paying the difference.

However, as mentioned, it's the difference between what you paid and the current price of the new stateroom.

To clarify,

1. Yes, we were going to switch to 8102. Mostly because we just realized there is only a single chair in our cabin and we both have back problems so we wanted a cabin with a sofa so we could both sit down when we watch TV and/or read.

2. I had no idea you couldn't upgrade by just paying the difference. Lesson learned.

3. If I booked yesterday, the difference was only $33 at today's prices. I have no idea what it was when we booked. We did it onboard and it was a rush-rush thing and since we've never seen a cabin without a sofa, we didn't realize they existed.

4. We can cancel penalty free until tomorrow and that's what we're going to do. 14 days without anywhere to sit when I read is not for me and I'm not paying $1500 to get one. We live in FLA, we can hop on a 7-day cruise for less than $1500 so it would be ridiculous to pay the higher rate.

Thanks again.

you do only pay the difference. What you pd and the cost now

there is a chair and love seat in your cabin

Edited by cruisinfanatic

you do only pay the difference. What you pd and the cost now

there is a chair and love seat in your cabin

Unless the cabin has a connecting door, then there may only be the little chair at the vanity and an upholstered chair in place of a loveseat.

I still don't know if we are all on the same page.:rolleyes:

I too am confused.

From my reading, when the OP looked online, the current price was $33 (or $200?) more than what he paid. Seems like his TA is charging him $1,500 for the change.

Of course, maybe the price really did change over the course of when they both looked. Either that, or maybe the TA has a change fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To clarify,

I never found the couch or chair comfortable in any of the rooms! Speaking for my wife's experience, she would much rather find a quite place someplace on the ship, before she would stay and read in the room. I thought the TV was only for checking your balances? Never did notice anything much to watch.

The difference is the price you paid, and the new price.

Thanks again.

I'm not sure why you would cancel, but OK

I too am confused.

From my reading, when the OP looked online, the current price was $33 (or $200?) more than what he paid. Seems like his TA is charging him $1,500 for the change....

The OP said:

"If someone made the reservation today, the cost is only $33 more ..."

Which leads me to believe that they are looking only at the difference in current price today, and not the difference between what was paid and the current price today. In other words, not taking into account that the price for both staterooms has increased significantly since booking.

The OP said:

"If someone made the reservation today, the cost is only $33 more ..."

Which leads me to believe that they are looking only at the difference in current price today, and not the difference between what was paid and the current price today. In other words, not taking into account that the price for both staterooms has increased significantly since booking.

Yes!

Plus the price today *could* be part of a sale that is New Bookings Only. I ran into that when I looked into changing cabins for my Brilliance cruise - though I could have paid the difference which would have only been a few hundred dollars, not $1500 - but if that is the difference between the current price and what the OP paid, that's what the difference would be.

Once when we had a cabin booked....different cruise company...I asked about upgrading from an inside to a balcony and the price that was quoted was the price at the time when I booked the original cabin....didn't have to cancel...they just adjusted price as to what is was at the time of booking 6 months previously.

Once when we had a cabin booked....different cruise company...I asked about upgrading from an inside to a balcony and the price that was quoted was the price at the time when I booked the original cabin....didn't have to cancel...they just adjusted price as to what is was at the time of booking 6 months previously.

That would be a nice policy to have.:)

Thanks again.

Since OP posted the name of their TA , I believe they are one of the mega agencies that does charge a agency cancelation fee ?