Captains Circle

Living on a prayer

We have just returned from a fantastic cruise on the Royal Princess. Being Platinum members, we attended the 1st Captains Circle event on the 4th day (I think). The Captain addressed the audience, and stressed how much they appreciated our loyalty in always choosing Princess. The most cruised people were celebrated ....(964 days).

We really enjoyed the whole event and it did make us feel special. But here's the twist..... We have never sailed on Princess before!!! We are Platinum members because of our cruises with P+O. This scenario was not addressed, so I felt it really wasn't for us.

Hence we did not attend the 2nd one.

It is a great perk, that our P+O cruises are recognised by Princess. Perhaps they should be more aware of people like us.

It is a great perk, that our P+O cruises are recognised by Princess. Perhaps they should be more aware of people like us.

I'm guessing they don't want to publicize the fact that P+O cruisers get Princess cruise credits since the opposite isn't true. I can see that opening up a can of worms and much discussion about 'fairness' (in fact I've often wondered about it myself :D).

I'm guessing they don't want to publicize the fact that P+O cruisers get Princess cruise credits since the opposite isn't true. I can see that opening up a can of worms and much discussion about 'fairness' (in fact I've often wondered about it myself :D).

It's a shame that it doesn't work the other way round, where Princess loyalty levels could be recognised by P&O, as Princess doesn't do winter in say the Med, whereas P&O do.

It's a shame that it doesn't work the other way round, where Princess loyalty levels could be recognised by P&O, as Princess doesn't do winter in say the Med, whereas P&O do.

Yes, I wish there is reciprocity on loyalty privileges.

We are Platinum members because of our cruises with P+O. This scenario was not addressed, so I felt it really wasn't for us.

Have no clue why you would say the Circle party wasn't "for you". On Princess' end reciprocity in loyalty programs was in place prior to Carnival Corporation's purchase of Princess and P&O so anyone with with previous cruises with P&O (or Sitmar) remained Princess Captain's Circle members with cruises on either line used to attain higher levels.

But I am also curious as to "the second one"? Unless you were on a back-to-back there is only one Circle reception (usually the last formal night) per sailing. And for a time if you did turn up to the one on your first leg you did not receive an invitation to the one on the second leg, though I believe howls of protest rescinded that brief policy.

In my Princess Cruise History it states "Your total Princess Credits and total Princess Days may include cruises with P&O Australia or P&O UK".

As 'fishywood' posted, Sitmar cruises are also included in the Princess Cruise History that lists both days sailed & cruise credits. My first Princess cruise was on Sitmar which is included with my cruise history totals.

In my Princess Cruise History it states "Your total Princess Credits and total Princess Days may include cruises with P&O Australia or P&O UK".

As 'fishywood' posted, Sitmar cruises are also included in the Princess Cruise History that lists both days sailed & cruise credits. My first Princess cruise was on Sitmar which is included with my cruise history totals.

Same here. Our Sitmar cruises are included in our Princess cruise history. :)

We have just returned from a fantastic cruise on the Royal Princess. Being Platinum members, we attended the 1st Captains Circle event on the 4th day (I think). The Captain addressed the audience, and stressed how much they appreciated our loyalty in always choosing Princess. The most cruised people were celebrated ....(964 days).

We really enjoyed the whole event and it did make us feel special. But here's the twist..... We have never sailed on Princess before!!! We are Platinum members because of our cruises with P+O. This scenario was not addressed, so I felt it really wasn't for us.

Shhhhh we won't tell.

I'm guessing they don't want to publicize the fact that P+O cruisers get Princess cruise credits since the opposite isn't true.
It is historical. P&O used to own Princess, so made sure that P&O credits applied to Princess. Carnival Corporation bought P&O (including Princess) and carried the cruise credit relationship forward.

I recall seeing another thread indicating there was a difference in how P&O and Princess tracked past cruises for individual passengers that made the inverse credits unsupportable, where Princess had a better system. Can't say from personal experience whether that is true or not.

But I am also curious as to "the second one"? Unless you were on a back-to-back there is only one Circle reception (usually the last formal night) per sailing. And for a time if you did turn up to the one on your first leg you did not receive an invitation to the one on the second leg, though I believe howls of protest rescinded that brief policy.

I can't imagine they ever did that.

They really had no way to know if you attended or not unless someone took the time to look at every invite turned in for the first segment and compare the names to those who could be invited for the second segment.

I just do not see anyone spending the hours necessary to do that.

And even if that was done, not everyone hands in the invite for the drawing, so it would be an incomplete effort.

Sailed out of Australia many times with P&O Australia, before Princess came to town full time. Now we only sail Princess, very happy that our P&O days counted towards our loyalty level :):D:)

I don 't really understand what the OP'S problem is. She says she really enjoyed the event and was made to feel special? I would have thought that would be enough. On Emerald recently we were sitting with a couple who were in exactly the same position as the OP and they were having a good time. They weren't complaining about not being mentioned.

As to not going to the second party, I'm not sure what she means. There may be more than one party held if there are a large number of repeat cruisers on the ship, but you only get invited to one of them. You can't just pitch up at a party.

We were lucky too to have Elite membership on our first Princess sailing due our previous P&O cruises. I loved the free internet and coffee cards, such a welcoming bonus.

BUT why do Carnival Corp not recognise all sailings on their brands eg Cunard, P&O all as one loyalty club?

Edited by Pjran

It's a good anomaly, so don't knock it accept it for what it's worth as it probably won't last forever! When P&O last changed there loyalty scheme they ended the reciprocity agreement where Princess cruises counted towards the P&O loyalty scheme. Fortunately for me I also kept my status level with Princess, whereas I was knocked back for not cruising with P&O for a 3 year period. However, these days you also occasionally see ships captains working across the brands of P&O, Princess and Cunard. As all brands in the UK are managed out of Carnival House in Southampton, there really isn't much distinction between any of them apart from the service levels offered and the ship board clientele they attract and from experience the only difference when you call them is dependent upon the number you rang, as to how they greet you I.e thank you for calling Princess, Cunard etc. Of course the brand once at sea, is distinct, so they don't go in for cross selling the other brands, so hence you'll only ever be welcomed back as a Princess cruiser, as you would if you were sailing on any other Carnival owned brand. As aside it would be nice if they did have some cross benefits as RCI do with Celebrity for example, but I don't think that will ever happen, as each brand is a profit centre, contributing to the Carnival bottom line.

Be glad they give you credit. If you don't like it and want to be recognized go back to P & O. You just can't please people even with a free perk. We sail Celebrity once in a while and enjoy and appreciate our elite perks we get from our RCL status. Say thank you to Princess.

Edited by cruzsnooze

I respect the OP for his/her attitude of not just grabbing everything that was available. :D I get the impression that he/she felt that they were offered something that they weren't really entitled to, not that they were upset that their particular situation wasn't mentioned.

To the OP - just accept the situation and enjoy it. :) You would not have been the only people in the room at this 'loyalty event' who were on their first Princess cruise. You were invited because you earned the right through cruising on a sister cruiseline.

BUT why do Carnival Corp not recognise all sailings on their brands eg Cunard, P&O all as one loyalty club?

Good that do not.

We have been on Princess cruises where over 50% of the passengers were Platinum or Elite.

If other Carnival brand cruises were included in the point count, the ship might be almost all elite.

If other Carnival brand's cruises were included, I would expect either benefits to be greatly reduced or many more days/cruises required to be elite or both.

Exactly.

We have booked our first Princess cruise and were just talking about how it would be nice if our Carnival status got us something.

But no, nada, nothing.

Exactly.

We have booked our first Princess cruise and were just talking about how it would be nice if our Carnival status got us something.

But no, nada, nothing.

I just came back from a Carnival cruise where no one rewarded me for my Princess status. That's the way it works.

Exactly.

But no, nada, nothing.

Good they do not.

We have been on Princess cruises where over 50% of the passengers were Platinum or Elite.

If other Carnival brand cruises were included in the point count, the ship might be almost all elite.

If other Carnival brand's cruises were included, I would expect either benefits to be greatly reduced or many more days/cruises required to be elite or both.

Princess is already full of elite & platinum level passengers & if they reciprocated with other Carnival Corporation cruise lines the whole ship could be at those levels.

The Royal Princess holds 3600 passengers and on one of our cruises there were over 1250 elite level passengers & over 800 platinum level passengers...that's nearly 60% of the passengers! :eek:

As 'caribill' posted, if cruise levels on other CCL brands were allowed on Princess then benefits could be reduced. I achieved my Captain Circle level by sailing many days on Princess but wouldn't expect that level on another Carnival Corporation cruise line.

Princess already struggles to provide some of our benefits such as free laundry, having multiple Captain Circle parties, priority boarding during embarkation & priority tendering into a port that are packed. Princess cruises are already full of repeat passengers receiving benefits & there's no need to make it worse by having other CCL brands passengers receive them.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Princess is already full of elite & platinum level passengers & if they reciprocated with other Carnival Corporation cruise lines the whole ship could be at those levels.

The Royal Princess holds 3600 passengers and on one of our cruises there were over 1250 elite level passengers & over 800 platinum level passengers...that's nearly 60% of the passengers! :eek:

As 'caribill' posted, if cruise levels on other CCL brands were allowed on other CCL brands then benefits could be reduced. I achieved my Captain Circle level by sailing many days on Princess but wouldn't expect that level on another Carnival Corporation cruise line.

Princess already struggles to provide some of our benefits such as free laundry, having multiple Captain Circle parties, priority boarding during embarkation & priority tendering into a port that are packed. Princess cruises are already full of repeat passengers receiving benefits & there's no need to make it worse by having other CCL brands passengers receive them.

You have just made a case why they need to up the number of days and cruises to reach these levels, it's too easy and fast.

You have just made a case why they need to up the number of days and cruises to reach these levels, it's too easy and fast.

That wasn't my point & it's another subject...I'm not going to get involved in another debate about that subject.

None of us knows what the future holds for the Captain's Circle program because it's Princess who makes that decision whether passengers feel it's fair or not.

I had 15 cruises & 150 days when reaching the elite level so I met both of their criterias for that level. I enjoy cruising and any benefits received are icing on the cake.