how long do you spend on your chair or by the pool?

luckyinpa

i do realize different strokes/folks and this is not meant to stir that debate. but i just read a multi page thread about saving chairs and moving personal items of chair hogs and it got me wondering how long you want spend by the pool or in your chair in an ideal situation where you have no hogs.

just reading that thread caused me stress. no way in heck would i want to have any of that controversy on my actual cruise. the sun at home burns the skin just as well as that on the ship:D

For me it is only an hour or less. I just can't sit out there that long. I believe I am starting to become a balcony snob however. Since we started booking balconies, I find that I much prefer sitting out there in privacy than on a crowded Lido deck. IMHO it is so much more relaxing...which is the main reason I cruise.

On a typical sea day, I'll spend an entire morning on a lounger, reading and listening to my ipod. In the afternoon, I just can't stay put that long, I have to move around. I'll generally walk around the ship, find things to entertain myself, look at the ocean, and sit down here and there for a half hour at a time.

Agreed on the previous comment about balconies. When I cruise on a balcony, nothing beats spending hours just watching the ocean go by :)

Generally on a sea day, I'm out there around 7am. I will hang in my lounger by the pool until around 11:30 or 12, when I pack up and head to lunch. After that, we are usually hanging at outdoor bars and such, and don't really use loungers anymore.

BUT - It was totally different my last cruise in Vibe. I never wanted to leave there, so we'd spend a lot longer - like until mid to late afternoon. However, there we are constantly up and down at the bar, in the hot tub, chatting with other people, etc. and not just lounging around.

Usually will spend all day but get up and go have lunch mid day (we take our stuff with us), then come back. I prefer shade and don't need to be next to the pool so I can usually find a lounger whenever. I learned on my last cruise I actually prefer a table and chairs to a lounger, easier for reading, drinking, eating, etc. I tend to get a back ache in a lounger if I'm there too long. I don't pay any mind to chair hogs. I think people hogging the hot tubs is actually a bigger problem, since that's where I want to be! Lol.

It will differ from ship to ship but using Escape as an example.....

MainPoolChairHogs-IMG_7164.JPG

...^^ these chairs are being used/reserved/hogged, whatever but at the exact same time...

Sundeck-Deck19-IMG_7151.JPG

Sundeck-Deck20-IMG_7152.JPG

...^^ there are plenty of chairs to be had on both of these decks (19 and 20).

Why are people ready to go to war over a chair when there are plenty of chairs to be had?

(thanks to JimZim for the pics)

http://www.jimzim.net/NorwegianEscape.html

If it's just me and my DH on the cruise, we will be laying on them all day. Up for a stretch to grab some food from buffet and a drink, then right back out there. We are from NS, Canada, so we like to absorb as many rays as we can :)

If we have our DD8 with us, we will take turns doing the slides, pool, etc with her, while the other one of us is lounging :)

On the Escape, we got 2 loungers on the edge by the first row of loungers on the side. We set up our DD8 and her friends along the first row for partial shade and then we were directly across from her to be able to be close to her.

It worked out great!

If you are on one of the Away ships, and don't want to be in direct sun, check out The Waterfront area. Never crowded...comfy chairs and couches and tables out of the sun (or rain!) and direct view out to the ocean!

Yeah, several afternoons I found an oversized, cushioned seat on the Waterfront that was big enough to take a nap on. :cool:

Edited by JustAllie

On a sea day we will sleep in, have breakfast, change into swimsuit and find a lounger for the day. We are probably there from 11-4 if the weather is nice. I enjoy laying in the sun, reading a book & having drinks :) We do take some breaks to use the slides or grab a snack from the buffet.

For me the only way you will be considered a "HOG" is if you are those types that set your paperback or a cruise line issued towel on a lounger & then walk away for 2-3 hours & don't come back ever to visit in that time.

Otherwise, if people can see you clearly enjoying the lounger (& not your lifeless paperback) then they won't have a problem.

Rising @ 7am to lay a paperback or t-shirt down on a lounger & then going for a 2.5 hour breakfast & gift shop excursion is downright rude & open those types to all sort of nasties.

Edited by OV8

I use my balcony for lounging. I only want a place near the pool where I can leave my stuff when I am in the pool or the hot tub. A locker would be fine.

I have even asked people who look friendly if I could stash my stuff (t-shirt, flipflops, nothing valuable) under their chair when the whole pool area was full on a sea day. Any port in a storm as they say.

i do realize different strokes/folks and this is not meant to stir that debate. but i just read a multi page thread about saving chairs and moving personal items of chair hogs and it got me wondering how long you want spend by the pool or in your chair in an ideal situation where you have no hogs.

just reading that thread caused me stress. no way in heck would i want to have any of that controversy on my actual cruise. the sun at home burns the skin just as well as that on the ship:D

We are early risers. We usually go out around 6:30 or so and get our chairs. We stay until 2ish or so. The only time we are both gone from the chairs at the same time is right after we get them in the morning. We put our stuff down, and go have breakfast together. The rest of the time one of us is with the chairs, unless we go for a swim or go on the slides.

For me it is only an hour or less. I just can't sit out there that long. I believe I am starting to become a balcony snob however. Since we started booking balconies, I find that I much prefer sitting out there in privacy than on a crowded Lido deck. IMHO it is so much more relaxing...which is the main reason I cruise.

That's how I feel! Love our balcony. Visit all over the ship but always happy to get back there and relax. [emoji177]

Question - I was trying to look at some images on the Internet of the Waterfront area - are those cushioned lounges part of the restaurants or are any in their own areas?

Thanks!

The sofas are in an area just for lounging. The outside eating area for the restaurants has tables and upright chairs...not the basket chairs and low coffee tables.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The sofas are in an area just for lounging. The outside eating area for the restaurants has tables and upright chairs...not the basket chairs and low coffee tables.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks!

The funny thing is that we don't sit outside by the pool, there are more pleasant places inside to sit and read or play cards when we have nothing on board to attend.

I use the hot pools when there are few people about and then leave my stuff on a chair; maybe 15 minutes

The hogs are the reason I avoid the pool deck. I won't even walk through the pool area.

a gentleman posted this pic of his recent vacation. 3rd pic down is the pool

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=50735668&postcount=41

this would appeal to me in just a few instances. if i wanted to people watch and get really close to strangers and....oh wait,i cant really think of what else :)

you def cannot be shy there if you wanna go in the pool. thats for sure. and it doesnt look much bigger than the 12x24 i had in my yard a few years ago.

My wife and I are pool/beach bums, so we get chairs first thing in the morning and stay there all day. We usually claim our chairs around 9am, get breakfast and return right away. At that time, we see that people have already staked their claim to chairs with the old 1 towel across 4 chairs or 1 shoe per chair trick. They never show up until late in the afternoon.