Will my wife be allowed to take this on board?

Here's a link to the cruise line's answer http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=333

Under prohibited items it lists

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame). This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners.

Note that it says curling irons and hair straighteners are the exception. It's a gamble for your wife to take the hot rollers. Technically they're not a "curling iron" so would be not permitted. She might get lucky and get them through. I have brought a small travel steamer several times (not knowing they were on the naughty list) and have had no issue. I guess it depends on who is screening and how carefully they look at what they're screening. I leave the steamer home now, not wanting to risk the hassle of having it confiscated.

I bring my electric curlers everywhere...hair appliances are totally allowed...even if they heat! No worries! BTW, they are NOT just for "grandmas"! Those of us with long or thick hair use them, since it's faster than curling irons...it would take me 2 days to curl my hair by doing one section at a time!

Edited by cb at sea
  • Like 1

There was a table of presumably confiscated irons and hair curling things on departure day for guests to pick up on Splendour last April.

My wifes hot plate machine for straightening hair got through no problem.

So my wife has bought herself a new hair roller system. Rollers are in a pod that you plug in, heats the rollers up and away to go. Anyone see any issue in taking this on board?

Thanks

As you can see there are varying answers and a policy.

Here's a tip for your wife that may help if she decides not to bring them: Bring a curling iron. Purchase sponge rollers. Curl the hair with a curling iron and then put them in sponge rollers right away. Let them cool completely.

This takes about as long as hot rollers and holds the curls better in my opinion.

Hair "appliances" shouldn't be a problem for the simple reason most of them nowadays turn themselves off after a certain amount of time.

"Auto-off" is not a consideration with electrical heating appliances onboard ships, since these have been known to fail frequently. Mr. Coffee almost went out of business in the '80's because of the house fires caused by failure of their "auto-off" switches.

So my wife has bought herself a new hair roller system. Rollers are in a pod that you plug in, heats the rollers up and away to go. Anyone see any issue in taking this on board?

Thanks

I always bring my own hair dryer and electric rollers, never had a problem on any cruise on any line

You don't want to get between a woman and her hair products/appliances! It would be a scary situation if not allowed~~my hair would frizz up to three times its normal size.

Now that's funny. Reminded me of the Friends episode when they all went to Barbados and Monica ended with a Diana Ross afro. ;o)