The true (free) upgrade fairy really does exist!!!

Swann5

We booked cabin # 1137, a basic inside cabin on Deck 11 (category 09) 170 Sq. ft. for our recent Alaskan cruise on the Millennium. Upon check in we were told we had a different cabin! Yikes! We were very sceptical at first as we had carefully chosen our inside cabin for its ease of access to the open decks. A supervisor was brought over and she said we would probably be very happy with our new cabin. We were upgraded to cabin # 9158 on deck nine, a family ocean view verandah, (category FV) Cabin Size: 271 sq.ft., Veranda: 242 sq.ft!!! That's right! A huge cabin and a huge aft balcony! So not just a one category upgrade, inside to Oceanview, or Oceanview to balcony, but from an inside cabin to an aft, family verandah which was absolutely huge for the two of us! We thoroughly enjoyed this spacious cabin and had the most amazing room steward, Eddy! We just wish we were travelling with other family or friends who could have also enjoyed our spacious digs! Thanks so much to the Celebrity (True) Upgrade Fairy! :)

That is a fantastic upgrade [emoji3]

I have booked an inside cabin on my first cruise too. I am travelling solo so it was a cost decision (and that I will have to get out of my comfort zone and mix & mingle) but would love that surprise at embarkation [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked cabin # 1137, a basic inside cabin on Deck 11 (category 09) 170 Sq. ft. for our recent Alaskan cruise on the Millennium. Upon check in we were told we had a different cabin! Yikes! We were very sceptical at first as we had carefully chosen our inside cabin for its ease of access to the open decks. A supervisor was brought over and she said we would probably be very happy with our new cabin. We were upgraded to cabin # 9158 on deck nine, a family ocean view verandah, (category FV) Cabin Size: 271 sq.ft., Veranda: 242 sq.ft!!! That's right! A huge cabin and a huge aft balcony! So not just a one category upgrade, inside to Oceanview, or Oceanview to balcony, but from an inside cabin to an aft, family verandah which was absolutely huge for the two of us! We thoroughly enjoyed this spacious cabin and had the most amazing room steward, Eddy! We just wish we were travelling with other family or friends who could have also enjoyed our spacious digs! Thanks so much to the Celebrity (True) Upgrade Fairy! :)

Congrats and good for you!!! We've never been upgraded on Celebrity nor offered an 'upsell'. Did you have a travel agent or did you book directly through Celebrity? Was Captain George Iatrou onboard? We love Captain George!!! He's amazing imho :D.

Edited by LuvCruzn4Evr

Wow, what a great upgrade! Was it your first Celebrity cruise? You have to wonder how you got picked out of all the inside cabins, especially when I'm sure several of them must have been maxed out with 4 people who could have really used the space. I'd have been wondering "why us?" (not that I'd be complaining!) :)

Last Thanksgiving week my son and his wife had a inside cabin and got upgraded to a Con. cabin w/veranda. I think they upgrade according to age so they may think about future cruises with Celebrity. They are in their early 40's and have cruised only a limited number of times.

J.

Congratulations to the OP. I am glad for you that you got such a wonderful cabin.:)

And I will admit to being a bit jealous. 30+ cruises on X and never an offer of an upgrade, not even for a price. So I will ask the question many of us are wondering - is this your first Celebrity cruise? That tends to be who gets the upgrades.

I'm the original poster. For those wondering... We were on our 9th Celebrity cruise and 17th cruise overall. We are in our mid-fifties. My husband booked the cruise himself on-line and then transferred it to a fairly new to the game travel agency that did have quite a few issues getting the booking moved from Celebrity. We have no idea if those issues were responsible for our upgrade or how we managed such a wonderful upgrade and we kept pondering that question throughout the cruise. Should I share that our good fortune continued? ..... After seeing our huge cabin and balcony and meeting our wonderful cabin steward, Eddy, he gave us a bottle of complimentary sparkling wine! :) Wow, how nice! Then when we went to the aft bar, we got our first round of drinks on the house! :eek: What?!! That has never happened before either! That is when the bartender noticed that my husband was checking his pulse and asked him if he was okay. My husband told him that never in all of our cruises had we received an upgrade, free 'Champagne' and then free drinks, so he had to check his pulse and make sure he hadn't died and gone to cruise heaven! Lol. :p Turns out our cards had been demagnetized and we had to sign for the rest of our drinks until we got them reactivated at guest relations. However, what an amazing start to a cruise! Not sure if it will ever be beaten, so thanks once again the the Celebrity True Upgrade Fairy and cabin steward Eddy, who spoiled us all week! I hope the upgrade fairy finds you one day for whatever reason! Happy cruising!

I believe that those booking Insides's and Oceanviews are more likely to get an upgrade than those of us that pick our special Veranda or Sky Suite staterooms. ;)

We will be taking our 14th Celebrity cruise next month. It will be our 35th overall cruise. The majority of the others were with RCCL. :) Never been upgraded except for once when booking very late in the game ...a cruise to Bermuda. The only staterooms left were Inside GTY's. We were upgrade to an OV at the pier. :D

Edited by Iamthesea

I can't help but wonder if there might have been something seriously wrong with your original cabin and they had nowhere else to put you. Whatever the reason - lucky you!! Congratulations!!

Very likely. Serious issue with the bathroom or something and a last minute decision by the ship to allocate whatever cabin was left. Congratulations! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you look at the OP's signature, they have taken several Celebrity cruises. ;)

I am also interested to know who they booked with.

Some of us turn off the time clocks on the signatures (I am one of them - some people have practically a full page of them and I don't want to scroll through them). Interesting to know this was NOT their first cruise - not that is very, very lucky!

Hey Swanns!

Glad to hear of your good fortune. Maybe they mistook you for some rock stars or well-heeled politicians!

Anyway, nice to see you online after our cruise to Baltics last year.

JoAnn

Hi JoAnn! Nice to see you on here too and that you will be going on the Eclipse again! I'm sure you'll also have a great time on Disney! Thanks again for sharing all your great knowledge on last year's Roll Call!! Happy sailing to you and your family!!

Dianne