Samsung phone

gowilk

I sure hope celebrity's security is keeping up with issue and bans/confiscates Samsung note....last thing I need is some moron who's charging his stupid Samsung phone setting the ship on fire. bound to happen sooner rather than later.

If you confiscate anything that has or could go on fire we would all be going onto the ship NAKED and with no luggage !!!!

Reality check required I think, chill and enjoy your cruise. ... ☺

Sent from my SM-T800 using Forums mobile app

neither option seems preferable:

Naked and no fires ...

or...

clothed and fires.

*gasp* *gasp* *cough* *cough*

*expires on deck seven*

If you confiscate anything that has or could go on fire we would all be going onto the ship NAKED and with no luggage !!!!

Reality check required I think, chill and enjoy your cruise. ... ☺

Sent from my SM-T800 using Forums mobile app

Well at least the FAA aren't banning clothes and luggage. The Note 7, on the other hand:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37314826

I wonder how much this is going to hurt Samsung?

Knowing Celeb they would overreach and ban all Samsung devices. We travel with a Samsung tablet and phone (older model than one recalled for battery issues) and would not take kindly to having it confiscated and possibly lost.

When we cruised on Celeb out of the newer pier at FLL when it first came on line, we watched the port security officers at check in take away every bottle of wine despite huge protests that 2 btls were permitted.

It took more than a day to return the items improperly taken...,,folks on our roll call had 2 very primo btls they brought on for their anniv dinner on the first night...they were miffed not to get them back on time...

Nanny State....go away!

Hair dryers are a bigger risk.

Edited by hcat

I sure hope celebrity's security is keeping up with issue and bans/confiscates Samsung note....last thing I need is some moron who's charging his stupid Samsung phone setting the ship on fire. bound to happen sooner rather than later.

So someone charging "his stupid Samsung phone" is a Moron. I won't type what I think of your comments....

Well at least the FAA aren't banning clothes and luggage. The Note 7, on the other hand:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37314826

I wonder how much this is going to hurt Samsung?

Link is working, but they haven't banned the phone from plane travel. They just said keep it off, don't charge it, and don't check it.

That's a lot different than banning it from getting on the plane.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I think this is interesting to watch - while on a plane it is much more controllable to check people's usage/charging of a cell phone, it's impossible on a ship. From what I see, so far there have been 35 fires, significant enough for a full recall. Also from what I'm reading many are reluctant to give up their devices until they can do a "swap" which could take several weeks. This leaves potentially millions of devices remaining active withe possibility of catching on fire.... That said, can you imagine the nightmare at security if they did ban the devices????

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well if you google Iphone 6 fire at least 10 different links come up with different people whose Iphone 6 caught fire. Damn Iphone people!! Haha:D

Maybe they should just ban all cell phones

Just as silly as the person who mentioned about the morons. Apple did not recall all their phones because of fires.

Today, Samsung and the US Product Safety Commission announced that owners of this phone should turn it off and not charge it. They are recalling all of these phones and there have been a number of fires because of them.

This is not a government nanny situation and is certainly not the same as the government telling us what I can drink which I abhor.

This is a situation where the Government is actually doing what they should be doing and I hope Celebrity keeps an eye on it. I certainly don't want to be on a plane where someone is charging this phone.

Just as silly as the person who mentioned about the morons. Apple did not recall all their phones because of fires.

Today, Samsung and the US Product Safety Commission announced that owners of this phone should turn it off and not charge it. They are recalling all of these phones and there have been a number of fires because of them.

This is not a government nanny situation and is certainly not the same as the government telling us what I can drink which I abhor.

This is a situation where the Government is actually doing what they should be doing and I hope Celebrity keeps an eye on it. I certainly don't want to be on a plane where someone is charging this phone.

Well said.

33584cf4bf2294c2ac342312178fd7cde9b0f1ddffbfdb19d8b58a07309817d9.jpg

What are the odds of a Celebrity pax owning a brand new Samsung Note 7 (a phablet, quite a niche market..), not having it swapped, charging it despite all the news and it actually catching on fire, maybe damaging a stateroom before crew can extinguish it and directly affecting YOU on your cruise on a small floating city?

There are many many more risks of fire onboard, going on at anytime. :)

Considering it is a tiny number of phones compared to the actual number of phones out there, I'll save my worrying for something actually worth worrying about. Just like when anything bad happens on a cruise ship, and notably on a different cruise line, it makes the news to stir up the masses.

33584cf4bf2294c2ac342312178fd7cde9b0f1ddffbfdb19d8b58a07309817d9.jpg

What are the odds of a Celebrity pax owning a brand new Samsung Note 7 (a phablet, quite a niche market..), not having it swapped, charging it despite all the news and it actually catching on fire, maybe damaging a stateroom before crew can extinguish it and directly affecting YOU on your cruise on a small floating city?

There are many many more risks of fire onboard, going on at anytime. :)

I don't think anyone wants to own one of those defective phones so what is needed is that the word gets out for those who bought them to swap them out. Peeps don't want one to explode in their pocket. Luckily the defect was found early and likely many of those who bought them are early adapters who keep up on tech news. Now that the recall is also an official government recall the cell carriers should be involved. The carriers know who has the phones. Notices and texts can be sent to those who bought that particular model. So I think the odds are the bad phones will quickly be swapped out.

Edited by Charles4515

Knowing Celeb they would overreach and ban all Samsung devices. We travel with a Samsung tablet and phone (older model than one recalled for battery issues) and would not take kindly to having it confiscated and possibly lost.

Also since the recalled defective phone model is being swapped with the same model phone how would Celebrity determine whether passengers have a bad one or not? The recall process going on now is the best way to keep the defective phones off ships.

I think another issue is those who buy the cheap dollar store phone charger cords and power strips to bring on board. I don't understand how they can design ships with amusement park rides and they don't think to install extra outlets and USB ports for charging electronics properly. Every room should have a charging station.

Samsung and the CPSC are working on the voluntary recall right now. Having worked on the manufacturer's side of a voluntary recall I can estimate it might take a while. Samsung has to prove that a replacement won't have the same issue somehow ... it would help if it is one battery from a single supplier, and they can supply a different supplier.

The explosion and fires happen during charging, something that can be avoided on a flight. Probably not on a week long cruise, though! I hope everyone owning one has it turned off and has a replacement in hand before they cruise.

Sorry I guess you misunderstood my post, I never said Apple recalled their phones, I simply stated if you google iphione 6 fire many posts come up. I was mocking the poster who called Samsung owners morons for charging their stupid Samsung phones. My point was other phones have had similar issues, not as many as the Note 7 but other phones still caught fire.

Like another poster said, few phones for what were sold. Definitely bigger fish to fry out there. But yes, lets hope most of those morons who own Note 7's keep them at home until the replacement are out.

Latest numbers I heard were 35 out of 2.5 million sold. That's .000014 Not sure what % that even is. But yes, please leave them at home until they are replaced.

• 1 month later...

Us also. DH and I both have Samsung Galaxy 5 phones and I have a Tab A. We have never had any problems with them and they are almost 2 years old now.

It's only one specific Samsung product, the Note 7, so I would hope they realize that.