Does RCCL think I fell out of a hearse???

diesel1973

Am trying to book cruise next year with kids free deal. Well kids really aren't free because you are charged approx. $100 taxes each child.

1.How can you tax something that has no value and is free?

2. They want $250 deposit for each FREE child.

Am I missing anything besides my mind?:eek::eek::eek:

Am trying to book cruise next year with kids free deal. Well kids really aren't free because you are charged approx. $100 taxes each child.

I believe most of the taxes are facility fees and are charged per traveler and they don't care how much you paid. Similar to Southwest collecting facility fees on their tickets bought with southwest ff miles.

I presume the taxes the OP is referring to are the Port Taxes and Fees. Those are charged by the ports based on the SOB manifest of the ship (pax and crew) regardless of how they got on the ship, or whether they stay on the ship or actually get off in the port.

The taxes I can understand now but a $250 dep. each free child and I am only paying $100 in taxes for each??? The only answer I get from RCCL is that it is their policy.Doesn't make much sense to me but I guess a lot of things nowadays don"t!

Every passenger is charged port fees. It's per head rather than fare paid (or lack thereof)

Why would they think you fell out of a hearse? Born yesterday, maybe, but I don't get the hearse reference :confused:

Edited by VASOXFANN

The $250 deposit is to hold your space per person when making your reservation. If you have a credit coming it will be applied back to the Original credit card after the cruise.

Their boat, their rules! You can choose to book with someone else if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm surprised to hear about the deposit, we just booked during kids sail free and paid a $400 deposit total for 2 adults, 2 kids in a Junior Suite. Not sure why your deposit would be so much. Was that what the website said or a phone rep? I think I'd call back and ask for someone else or try booking online if you haven't already.

Buckle Up For Safety

Taxes owed are a state/federal law. Not an RCI thing. You are taxed on freebies.

A TA informed me of the deposit required when pricing. When I questioned the deposits for the children he told me to call RCCL and see if they would reduce deposits. Was told that is their policy.Can't see paying almost 50% of cruise as down payment. Am looking elsewhere and deposits are a lot less.

A TA informed me of the deposit required when pricing. When I questioned the deposits for the children he told me to call RCCL and see if they would reduce deposits. Was told that is their policy.Can't see paying almost 50% of cruise as down payment. Am looking elsewhere and deposits are a lot less.

Much luck to you. Have a great cruise, regardless of what you decide.

I don't know where you will find that. MY DS and his family are booked on a Carnival cruise under a kids sail free promo and their deposit was $250.00 per person. It is just $1000 less you will have to pay at final payment.

Also, just a question about what's with the Fell off a hearse? I never heard that one before. I've always said Did they think I just fell off the back of a turnip truck! LOL

Edited by DebJ14

So you're going to pay a smaller deposit, but more for a cruise? Yea, that makes sense. :confused:

What does the amount of deposit matter? You either pay it now or pay it later. Plus its completely refundable as long as you cancel prior to the pay-in-full date.

Didn't say I was going to pay more for a cruise. Other cruise lines also offer children cruise free with possibly a smaller deposit.We have another cruise scheduled next spring on RCCL and the total deposit for 2 of us is $250 total. I can't recall ever paying $250 p/p. Might be standard practice when children cruise free.Need to do some research.

Didn't say I was going to pay more for a cruise. Other cruise lines also offer children cruise free with possibly a smaller deposit.We have another cruise scheduled next spring on RCCL and the total deposit for 2 of us is $250 total. I can't recall ever paying $250 p/p. Might be standard practice when children cruise free.Need to do some research.

$250 pp deposit is standard and not just associated with children cruise free.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You are going to get it back so who cares? :)

They were offering a deal a while ago for a $250 total deposit. Your reduced deposit was part of that particular sale. Generally, a $250 per person deposit is normal.

Norwegian has similar deposits as does Carnival, $250 per person. I just booked a cruise on each recently for myself, my wife, and 2 young boys.