Advice Needed - Upgraded to undesirable cabin

sandyss

Our cruise departs in less than 10 days. We booked our cabin last August - more than a year ahead. Our chosen cabin was a 2A on the Millennium - midship, deck 7 (quiet), on the starboard side. We even received our luggage tags less than a week ago with the cabin # that we had booked.

I checked MyCelebrity again today, and was surprised to find that our cabin was changed. Neither we nor our TA requested this change!! It is ostensibly an upgrade - Aqua Class Cabin #9047 - BUT - it has an obstructed view (window washing equipment), is near the front of the ship, has a noisy public area above, and is on the port side (starboard is preferable for this cruise).

I tried contacting both my Travel Agent and Celebrity. It was after business hours for both my TA and Celebrity's Revenue Department when I called after discovering this change. I was told that my TA needs to talk with the Revenue Department which is closed until Monday. I will talk to our TA first thing on Monday.

Has anyone else experienced this type of cabin change? What are my options? Will my TA be able to convince Celebrity to put us back into the cabin that I booked? Any help is appreciated.

Last year on Siloutte, we had booked a 1 A cabin a year in advance. It had the extra large balcony. Close to sailing, I noticed that our cabin had been changed to a consierge cabin. The new cabin had a regular size balcony. I called my TA, and she took care of it. We got our original cabin back. Good luck.

Vicki

Not totally sure you will be successful, but here's a strategy: Check your paperwork for your new Aqua Class cabin level (either A1 or A2). Then pull up the deck plans for the Silhouette (they're on the Celebrity site), and keep that window open on your computer. In a new window on the Celebrity site, pretend you are making a new reservation in your category, either A1 or A2. Find a cabin that appeals to you (the "sticky" at the top of this page will help). You will see a list of cabins offered, and just below the offerings there's a place (box) to type in the cabin you want. You may need to type in several different choices before a cabin comes up that hasn't yet been booked. If a cabin comes up that you want, put a 24 hour hold on it. If the hold expires before you can reach your TA, just do another hold for the same cabin. You can switch to any other cabin that's not yet booked in your class. I'd consider an upgrade to AQ a real bonus. On the other hand, if your original cabin has not been booked, your TA can probably put you back there. Is your TA open on Saturday?

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Betsy

BBsails has good advice but I would suggest that you go to the Celebrity UK site which will show all available cabins not just a few that the US site shows. If there is one in a better location then have your TA move you to that cabin.

If you are on the 9/18 sailing doesn't look like any AQ cabins are available for booking. There are some C1 cabins available. While BLU is nice I'd see if they would "downgrade" you to cabin 8185 on the aft. Has a wonderful big balcony and is showing available on that sailing. 7206 is also available. We love these aft C1 cabins.

At this point, no available Aqua cabins are showing - only GTY. My original cabin shows as booked. There are no other 2A cabins showing as available. There are several Concierge cabins available, though. Maybe we can get one of those.

It's possible that your cabin is out of commission for a maintenance issue and you had to be moved, so i would consider, as others have said, finding a couple of solutions that would make you happy, and put those on 24 hour hold, and when those holds expire, to put them on hold, and do that until you reach your TA on Monday. You have some bargaining chips, and I think if you are reasonable, they will try to accomidate you in a request to move and keep your upgrade or offer an alternate upgrade.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks for the suggestions. I put 8185 on hold. Hopefully my TA will be able to arrange this "downgrade" from 9047. She works for a large agency that probably has clout with Celebrity.

My fingers are crossed!!

Hi Sandyss,

I hope you are able to switch to a cabin that you will be happier with.... but in case you wind up with 9047 - most folks are extremely happy with BLU, so it could turn out to be a very nice upgrade. Being that you are now above Concierge Class (with AQ), hopefully Celebrity will allow you to switch to 8185. I'm rooting for you !

Please let us know the outcome, and good luck !

For 11 nights, I would consider keeping the AQ. We cruised in our first AQ last month on the Summit and LOVED Blu. The food is good, and the personal service wonderful. It greatly enhanced our cruise. Just a thought. I do understand how the window washing equipment could be distracting. You know best. We were in 9043 and it was a hump cabin.

I might be very tempted to keep this cabin. Not sure why one side of the ship is preferable over the other except maybe on an Alaskan sailing, but even then you may find you spend more time on the open public decks anyway --

Window washing stuff. We have stayed in sky suites (aft) with it in the corner and honestly it wasn't a problem at all. It blocked the very a very wee bit looking DOWN but nothing OUT, and sometimes it wasn't even there, it was washing windows and you just had the frame there.

This is really a big upgrade because we always found Blu to be MUCH nicer and more accommodating than the MDR which we haven't even been to in many cruises. We were also in a cabin once under Oceanview buffet and supposedly it was noisy but we never heard it. I "do" wear ear plugs for my DH snoring issues and have a sound machine, but still. He never really was bothered by any noise either.

I wouldn't panic, but I'd sure be looking for an other Aqua rather than go back.

You're going to have a wonderful cruise even IF you keep your new cabin.

While everyone is pushing Blu as a positive upgrade I would question why the cabin that you upgraded to was not booked. You will be eating in Blu for an hour or two a day and will be spending more time in your room. It seems to me from the way you described your room location in detail that the room location was a top priority for you. It is a known fact that Aqua class rooms aren't in prime locations. That fact that they upgraded you from a 2A all the way to Aqua sends up a red flag for me.

Noise would be the biggest issue given your choice, we are on the hump in Aqua and have already booked our 3rd cruise in this room, despite the window washing equipment. We like the extra space on the balcony and very little noise from above as the Aquaspa cafe is above. Pros and cons for most rooms I guess.

I hope you find something suitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for all the additional comments. I agree that BLU would be nice - BUT - my main concern is the noise from above. I tend to be a light sleeper, and noise does keep me awake. On one of our first cruises, before I knew better, we had a cabin below the buffet and the noise of chairs being moved woke me up daily. We also do not like being near the front of the ship - we much prefer the middle to the back of the ship.

Why can't they institute a policy of CONTACTING the passenger and OFFERING the upgrade - for every deliriously happy soul there is another who hand picked their cabin for whatever reason (and it doesn't even have to be a reason that makes sense to you or me) and is unhappy with the move, and can't get their original cabin back.

Which reminds me on most cruises we tell them to mark ours "do not upgrade", but I think I forgot on my last reservation. Of course, I probably miss out on that upgrade to the PH, but oh well :).

When I filled out my profile for Celebrity there was a question about upgrades and if I wanted them to be automatic or not.

I picked auto upgrade me. Maybe the original poster did the same.

With Celebrities web site you cannot be sure.

Carol

When I filled out my profile for Celebrity there was a question about upgrades and if I wanted them to be automatic or not.

I picked auto upgrade me. Maybe the original poster did the same.

With Celebrities web site you cannot be sure.

Carol

I will have to go look and see if I can see this on my account - doesn't sound familiar at all, but I did sign up years and years ago.

I just went into My Profile (which I probably haven't looked at since day one), and there is absolutely nothing about upgrading - I clicked individually on every category - Account Info, Immigration Documentation, Emergency Info, My Travel Companions, Communication Preferences, and Change Password.

Exactly where is the question about whether you want to be auto-upgraded?