Sturdy sandals for Pompeii (and Rome & Florence)

Wendy The Wanderer

I thought I'd ask this specific question. I studied this earlier thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2346521&highlight=shoes

In which there was a good discussion of various brands of shoe. I am not looking for advice about brands but about the viability of sandals versus shoes. Cruisemom42 was the only one who came out and said NOT to wear sandals in Italy, because of the dirt and the risk of stubbing your toe or worse.

And I trust Cruisemom's opinion--you rock, btw, such good advice you share here.

But...I practically live in sandals. Ideally I would never wear shoes. We're talking tough sports-style sandals. My current ones are Tevas, which I love. I do have a good pair of walking shoes (New Balance), but frankly I much prefer to wear a good sandal (with good support and a cushioned sole)--more room for my toes to spread out!

So...tell me truthfully, can I do without the walking shoes in Italy? We're doing Pompeii one day, Malta another, etc. Plus close to a week each in Rome and Florence. Trying to fly light here. I do have a daintier shoe (albeit comfortable) that I can wear out to dinner in the city, flat and comfortable.

I took the advice last fall to wear shoes on our Nile cruise in Egypt. But frankly I kept wishing I had had my sandals instead, and if I went again that's what I'd take.

Weather-wise, we'll be at Pompeii on October 1st. Will be strolling around Florence a week later.

As good as advice from others may be (she says, patting self on back :p), you know yourself better than anyone else. If you are used to your sandals and they are sturdy, with good soles, then take them. :)

Honestly, I feel the same way about hats. I hate them and have never been successful at finding out I could stand to wear for very long in the hot sun. Everyone told me that I absolutely MUST wear a hat in Israel when I was there for several weeks, so I dutifully brought one along and then I never wore it except for a few brief moments at the first site, after which I took it off and never looked back.

In general, I'd still say that for most people good sturdy walking shoes, or at least sandals with some protection for your toes are a better bet. But there are always exceptions...

Well, I'll probably, perhaps, maybe, take my "sturdy shoes". And wear them to Pompeii and perhaps the Colosseum and Forum in Rome. But walking around museums, it will be sandals--much more comfy for my feet. Thinking about an afternoon in the Uffizi or Vatican, I would be much better in my sandals.

Of course, if I take the shoes, then if the weather turns bad, I'm covered. :(

Far better to have the shoes with you if you need them. Beats buying a new pair on the fly and having to break them in during the trip. ouch ....

(wear them when you're travelling so they don't take up space in your suitcase)

Yeah, that's what I do. Useful in airplanes that are cold, although I usually kick off my shoes on a long flight. Socks are then essential! :p

We traveled to Italy on a land based vacation this summer to celebrate my 50th birthday. We spent time in Venice, Florence, Rome, Pompeii & Positano, Siena, Pisa and the Cinque Terre. I did it all in a pair of Chaco sandals. In fact, all I brought with me were two pairs of Chacos and a pair of Birkenstocks. Personally, I had no problem walking around Pompeii and hiking through the Cinque Terre in my sandals. They worked great in the big cities too. I think you would be fine in Tevas.

We traveled to Italy on a land based vacation this summer to celebrate my 50th birthday. We spent time in Venice, Florence, Rome, Pompeii & Positano, Siena, Pisa and the Cinque Terre. I did it all in a pair of Chaco sandals. In fact, all I brought with me were two pairs of Chacos and a pair of Birkenstocks. Personally, I had no problem walking around Pompeii and hiking through the Cinque Terre in my sandals. They worked great in the big cities too. I think you would be fine in Tevas.

Sounds great, thanks for the encouragement! I tend to wear sandals in Canada until mid-October or later, only resorting to shoes when it gets quite cold (then we leave for Florida where I can wear sandals most of the winter.)

I have a pair of Merrills with a closed to but the back is more like a sports sandal. They are made of a lightweight synthetic fabric and have a removable insole so they dry very quickly. So they also double as water shoes when needed. They were perfect for places like Pompeii, the Coloseum, and the Acropolis where the ground was quite uneven and toe stubbing was a real possibility.

But...I practically live in sandals. Ideally I would never wear shoes. We're talking tough sports-style sandals. My current ones are Tevas, which I love. I do have a good pair of walking shoes (New Balance), but frankly I much prefer to wear a good sandal (with good support and a cushioned sole)--more room for my toes to spread out!

So...tell me truthfully, can I do without the walking shoes in Italy? We're doing Pompeii one day, Malta another, etc. Plus close to a week each in Rome and Florence. Trying to fly light here. I do have a daintier shoe (albeit comfortable) that I can wear out to dinner in the city, flat and comfortable.

I am with you. I do not bring "walking" shoes to Europe. I do bring hiking sandals, such as Keens, with toe protection for places like Pompeii and Cinqueterre. I also bring other good (and better looking) sandals for less intensive walking. I must confess to sometimes carrying a pair of low socks in my bag in case I need them while hiking. Not exactly fashionable, but who cares?

I've tried on Keens, so far never found a pair I like.

I'm convincing myself that I don't need those big clunky shoes. But then there's Florence, second week of October--it's probably going to be mid-teens celsius and possibly rainy. I think sandals still would work there, but it will play out in the next couple of days while I'm packing. If I can fit my Tevas in my carry-on then I'll wear the walkers on the plane.

Love this topic. Both DW and me spend most of the year living in our sandals...and that includes when we are traveling throughout Europe, Mexico, etc. And in forty plus years of extensive travel (and sandal wearing) neither of us has ever seriously injured a toe. But we do wear good solid sandals (not flip flops) usually made by Clarks, Teva or Ecco. Some of my sandals, made by those companies, have lasted years.

One reason we choose those brands is that they are pretty high quality with decent arch support. We normally stick to the higher end of their lines (generally talking $80-$150 a pair). I also have a great pair of Teva waterproof sandals that I like to wear when we head to a beach as they can even be worn in the water if necessary. We choose our sandals for quality and support...not a fashion statement. And we never wear socks with sandals (some would say that is sacrilege).

The issue of wearing socks with sandals is certainly open to some debate. But we note that a British fashion publication once polled 1500 customers and found that socks with sandals was considered the worst fashion faux pas of all time. Go figure.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Several years ago I went to a camping/hiking specialty store to buy a pair of sandals for a trip to Europe and came home with Tevas that I love. I've walked all over Europe in them.

I'd still want a pair of closed shoes with me for rainy days (very uncomfortable in sandals) or for locations with loose gravel (the path up to the Grand Cone of Vesuvio, for example).

The issue of wearing socks with sandals is certainly open to some debate. But we note that a British fashion publication once polled 1500 customers and found that socks with sandals was considered the worst fashion faux pas of all time. Go figure.

Hank

No debate, it is the worst fashion faux-pas ever. Period. But ... if you are on a gravelly path like Vesuvius (euro cruiser's example), you can put the socks on and take them off after the hike. No one cares about fashion on top of Vesuvius. It saves carrying an extra pair of shoes that you may need once in the trip. Just make sure your feet don't show up in the photos!

I've tried on Keens, so far never found a pair I like.

I'm convincing myself that I don't need those big clunky shoes. But then there's Florence, second week of October--it's probably going to be mid-teens celsius and possibly rainy. I think sandals still would work there, but it will play out in the next couple of days while I'm packing. If I can fit my Tevas in my carry-on then I'll wear the walkers on the plane.

Love sandals too, but not Keens either. Have had great luck with Clark wave sandals that even go in the water. We are in Rome currently and it is warm enough for sandals. My back up are asics.

I thought I'd ask this specific question. I studied this earlier thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2346521&highlight=shoes

In which there was a good discussion of various brands of shoe. I am not looking for advice about brands but about the viability of sandals versus shoes. Cruisemom42 was the only one who came out and said NOT to wear sandals in Italy, because of the dirt and the risk of stubbing your toe or worse.

And I trust Cruisemom's opinion--you rock, btw, such good advice you share here.

I took the advice last fall to wear shoes on our Nile cruise in Egypt. But frankly I kept wishing I had had my sandals instead, and if I went again that's what I'd take.

Weather-wise, we'll be at Pompeii on October 1st. Will be strolling around Florence a week later.

We were at Pompeii in June and I wore sandals with no problems at all. Feet got a bit dusty but that's what the Mediterranean is for. :D