Longer Cruises

Mz11378

I am booked on the Eurodam 1/7/2017 - 1/28/2017 - it is for 21 days and this

will be my second going solo - first 15 or so with my special ladies - was apprehensive at first but loved it - this cruise will be for 21 days - I love cruising one of those people who may not even get off at a port - did many excursions now that I am 67 and going solo no interest - has any one gone on a long cruise? - now here is the kicker - on 1/29 the Nieuw leaves same port for 21 days - yup giving it a thought - that would be 42 out of 43 days cruising - has any one done that - sounds crazy but not to me - actually have good prices - maybe only paying 10% more going solo - I am not a foodie so not very judgmental on that aspect - so as long as the food is not uneatable I am fine with it - a lido man I am not into formal dinning

You are going on a Collector's Cruise. It will return to Ft Lauderdale in the middle. When you say 42 or 43 days, you are actually referring to a series of 10 or 11 day cruises.

Yes, many, many people have gone on long cruises. Our longest is 24 days, but we 6 or 7 above 20 days, and tye average length of our 20 cruises is about 13 days. Do you have a specific question?

Edited by CruiserBruce

I've been on enough long cruises that I have come to think of a 21-day cruise as "mid-length". And yes, I have been solo on many of those cruises.

But there is a huge difference between one longer cruise and several shorter cruises consecutively, if that is what you are really taking. When the passenger turn-over comes along there can be a real change in atmosphere on the ship. Some crowds are livelier while others are more quiet. Some tend to stay up late, but others are the "early to bed" type. You get to meet new people on each cruise, but don't get to know them the way you would on one longer cruise.

But if the choice is stay home or cruise, I will pick cruise. Enjoy your time aboard!

I've been on enough long cruises that I have come to think of a 21-day cruise as "mid-length". And yes, I have been solo on many of those cruises.

But there is a huge difference between one longer cruise and several shorter cruises consecutively, if that is what you are really taking. When the passenger turn-over comes along there can be a real change in atmosphere on the ship. Some crowds are livelier while others are more quiet. Some tend to stay up late, but others are the "early to bed" type. You get to meet new people on each cruise, but don't get to know them the way you would on one longer cruise.

But if the choice is stay home or cruise, I will pick cruise. Enjoy your time aboard!

RuthC makes very good points. There is a big difference between one long cruise and several shorter B2B's. Atmosphere on board can really change.

Like Ruth, a 21 day is medium length for us. We like longer cruises as you get into "cruise mode" and avoid a bunch of flights if you take shorter ones ;)

We have done quite of few 21 days such as you described that were Collector Cruises and you do return back to Ft Lauderdale or Tampa (in some cases) after 10 or 11 days.

But we have never gotten off one ship and moved to another ship for more cruising.

The longest cruise we have been on was 28 days -- no going back to Ft Lauderdale, etc.

Love long cruises now that I retired and have had the pleasure f doing the world cruise and also get into cruise-mode then do not want to get off when we finally docked in. The longer the cruise, the more family like. it will become with both passengers and crew. Now cruise alone and sometimes do not get off at a port - how many times can you go to the Grand Caymans, especially with 4 other ships in port. Once did a strange B2B where the 1st cruise was 'normal' for 11 days and the 2nd cruise of 10 days was so very different in passengers, in attitudes, etc. Have found that the passengers on a regular 21-day cruise will be different from shorter cruise passengers, as others have mentioned.

See - I never thought of the change in guests - interesting - do I have to do the whole boarding process over - I doubt that - hope not - but the crowd or type of people is not usually a concern for me - I am more to myself - unless people are rude other wise no difference - I left out some questions - as a returning Holland guest do they have that captains brunch gathering a few times - events and shows repeated? - I live in Haiti now and since I am flying to FLL - customs the whole shebang -like to extend my cruising further by booking the Nieuw for the day after my cruise ends - that is another 21 day cruise - are the two ships similar? - has anyone done that off one day and another cruise the next - the idea hit me last night - better then spending time in Florida I feel - thanks for your input everyone

See - I never thought of the change in guests - interesting - do I have to do the whole boarding process over - I doubt that - hope not - but the crowd or type of people is not usually a concern for me - I am more to myself - unless people are rude other wise no difference - I left out some questions - as a returning Holland guest do they have that captains brunch gathering a few times - events and shows repeated? - I live in Haiti now and since I am flying to FLL - customs the whole shebang -like to extend my cruising further by booking the Nieuw for the day after my cruise ends - that is another 21 day cruise - are the two ships similar? - has anyone done that off one day and another cruise the next - the idea hit me last night - better then spending time in Florida I feel - thanks for your input everyone

We have done that often going from one ship to another. Sometimes the same day sometimes a few days apart. We feel that if we pay for airfare from the west coast to east we want as much cruise time as possible. We have really enjoyed doing that and have found it quite easy. We pack light and also enjoy meeting folks doing the same thing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I almost always travel solo and prefer longer cruises (longest so far is 118 days with a 113 day one booked). Getting packed, unpacked, getting to point of departure and then doing it all in reverse after the cruise is just not worth it to me on a short cruise.

I don't always get off at a port and sometimes I get off but don't do an excursion.

The Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam are both Signature class ships so they are almost identical.

My last two cruises had only 2 days between them. I did a 33 day cruise to the South Pacific, ended in Vancouver, and two days later boarded a week cruise (way too short for me!) on Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska. So, similar to your idea, I was cruising 40 out of 42 days.

I say, go for it!

I find it takes me even a few weeks to get into the rhythm of cruising, and then you can't pry me off the ship. Longest was 51 days so I agree, 21 days for us is now a bare minimum now for the full cruise effect.

Even when we leave from a home port, the first week is disorienting for some reason and one can't even blame jet lag.

And that is after 350 days on smaller HAL ships, which now all feel like home. Good for you for trying this new move. Learning to travel alone is an art form, so expect some stumbles and awkward moments and maybe even some days where you want a full retreat.

It is a learning curve, but glorious and freeing when you get the breakthroughs. And not a failure when you do not. Just a speed bump.

Variety is the spice of life. Most of my combos have more than one day layover but that's just the way the schedules work. I think 21 days is a nice cruise length and doing it again on a new ship just a day later is super. The closest I've done to that is 21 on the Crystal Symphony, 3 days on land and then 26 on the Prinsendam but your itinerary sounds wonderful to me.

Roy

We depart tomorrow for 52 days on the Maasdam and have done 30 days on the Prinsendam and a number of 21 day cruises. We're scheduled for 40+ days in the Spring on the Volendam.

We really like the longer cruises for many of the reasons expressed above. Plus I really like the sea days where the biggest excitement comes in watching for flying fish!

A cruise of any length is fine with me, but I really do prefer long cruises.

I agree with previous posters' comments who have done Collector's Cruises. The expectations/attitudes of one cruise's guests may be different than the guests on the next sailing. The crew, however, should recognize you on your following cruise and provide you with even better service, if that is possible. On an 11 day cruise, there will be one more evening of some type of different entertainment than on a 10 day cruise. Since one has experienced the previous entertainment package, one can repeat the experiences one enjoyed and find a different alternative for those other evenings.

Another cruise option that I have done that you might want to consider and if schedules are compatible: a cruise on a HAL ship preceeded or followed by a cruise on a different company's ship. I once did a 6 day Carnival Freedom cruise, disembarked and that late morning embarked a HAL ship for an 11 day cruise. I found it a very interesting experience and would do it again if the opportunity arose.

RKACRUISER - I wanted to choose another line but HAL is the only one at that time featuring longer cruises - I have not booked the Nieuw yet but really would like to go for it - as I stated just want to be on longer cruises not for ports - have been to most anyway

Btimmer - I love sea days - so many hate it - but for me love roaming around the ship and stopping in to different events or just being

OlsSalt - this will be my second alone and really enjoyed it

For those of you who have jumped from one cruise to the next swiftly - thanks for not making me feel weird - although I probably am anyway

We've jumped ship too! Having spent ten days on the Emerald Princess, we then took a taxi along the pier and boarded the Noordam for twenty-one days... it worked like a dream and gave us two very different experiences, both of which were wonderful! This time we will be spending thirty-two days on board the Koningsdam for a B2B European and Transatlantic cruise, then meeting our kids on board the Regal Princess for a fourteen Caribbean cruise on the day that we disembark! [emoji3] Can't wait! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Really envy the ability to take some of the really long cruises many of you have been able to take. The longest we've been able to do has been 18 days in the Med. With pre and post cruise days we were gone 22 days and that took some doing with our house, animals, and work obligations not to mention the expense. With Mrs. K still looking at another 5-6 years before she can retire I don't see us even getting up to another 18-day cruise anytime soon.

Really envy the ability to take some of the really long cruises many of you have been able to take. The longest we've been able to do has been 18 days in the Med. With pre and post cruise days we were gone 22 days and that took some doing with our house, animals, and work obligations not to mention the expense. With Mrs. K still looking at another 5-6 years before she can retire I don't see us even getting up to another 18-day cruise anytime soon.

Leaving a pet behind was the hardest part for us when we started longer cruises. But he has passed on, our plants are on a watering system and the house is open for friends and relatives to use while we are gone.

Being retired is pretty much key to making these longer cruises work. Plus there is a nice retirement check waiting when we get home so the cruise almost pays for itself while we are gone. (Kind of) When I was self-employed vacations cost twice as much: the cost of the vacation and the non-income during the time I was away. Honestly took me a while to get used to the idea in retirement income comes in regardless. 42 years self-employed habits were hard to break.

Edited by OlsSalt

I am booked on the Eurodam 1/7/2017 - 1/28/2017 - it is for 21 days and this

will be my second going solo - first 15 or so with my special ladies - was apprehensive at first but loved it - this cruise will be for 21 days - I love cruising one of those people who may not even get off at a port - did many excursions now that I am 67 and going solo no interest - has any one gone on a long cruise? - now here is the kicker - on 1/29 the Nieuw leaves same port for 21 days - yup giving it a thought - that would be 42 out of 43 days cruising - has any one done that - sounds crazy but not to me - actually have good prices - maybe only paying 10% more going solo - I am not a foodie so not very judgmental on that aspect - so as long as the food is not uneatable I am fine with it - a lido man I am not into formal dinning

We did that same exact thing last year. 42 days B2B2b2B on the Oosterdam - visited each port twice except HMC 4 times - loved it and I am sure we will do it again. We are from Indiana where it is cold in the winter so instead of being a snowbird in Florida we are a sea gull in the Caribbean:D

You know you guys are going to give me the push I need to book the second cruise - only one day layover but that's ok also - living here in Haiti miss some things that we all take for granted in the US - I guess if this is kool the next thing would be one of those re positioning type cruises - thanks for the feedback