Hurricane Matthew

BlueHerons

We arrived from BOS today. Jet Blue must have thought we were crazy to fly into potential hurricane weather and never charged for drinks - and they were generously offering beer, wine and I now have 3 extra Tito's mini bottles. Best morning flight in decades!

We had an early dinner at Kelly's Landing; they are closed tomorrow. Publix wasn't too bad, limited water, some shelves were sparse, but not really busy. Total Wine seemed busier.

Huge dark clouds on the horizon over PE and towards the southeast. Mild breeze. We drove along A1A - minimal surf.

With so many restaurants closing tomorrow, and the notices that Hyatt is slipping under our door, looks like we will be here for the next 24-36 hours, and enjoying an extended happy hour.

PE seemed strange today as we drove down Eisenhower - no traffic, only car on the road until we got back on A1A by the Harbor Shops.

Hoping to see the Coral Princess on Sunday.

Darcy

Hurricane Matthew Update

Broward County’s Port Everglades is currently operating under the U.S. Coast Guard’s (USCG) Port Condition ZULU, which is a 12-hour alert in anticipation of gale force winds. Condition ZULU requires all port operations and vessel movements, with the exception of emergency vessels, to be secured in preparation for the oncoming hurricane by 10PM on Wednesday, October 5.

Currently, Port Everglades remains open to outbound truck activity, including outbound petroleum delivery. Waterside facilities will remain closed until the passage of tropical storm force winds and the COTP, in conjunction with the Strategic Weather Advisory Team, has determined that it is safe to reopen waterside operations based upon:

• Port and waterway damage survey assessments
  • Aids to navigation verification
  • Status and condition of drawbridges
  • Re-establishment of required port security measures in accordance with respective Facility Security Plans

View USCG Marine Safety Information Bulletins (MSIB)

Cruise passengers are encouraged to call their cruise lines for updated schedules and/or itinerary changes.

We arrived from BOS today. Jet Blue must have thought we were crazy to fly into potential hurricane weather and never charged for drinks - and they were generously offering beer, wine and I now have 3 extra Tito's mini bottles. Best morning flight in decades!

We had an early dinner at Kelly's Landing; they are closed tomorrow. Publix wasn't too bad, limited water, some shelves were sparse, but not really busy. Total Wine seemed busier.

Huge dark clouds on the horizon over PE and towards the southeast. Mild breeze. We drove along A1A - minimal surf.

With so many restaurants closing tomorrow, and the notices that Hyatt is slipping under our door, looks like we will be here for the next 24-36 hours, and enjoying an extended happy hour.

PE seemed strange today as we drove down Eisenhower - no traffic, only car on the road until we got back on A1A by the Harbor Shops.

Hoping to see the Coral Princess on Sunday.

Darcy

Yes, I would expect everything but hotel restaurants to be closed tomorrow. This evening only a handful of restaurants on Las Olas were open.

Are you at the Pier 66 or the Hyatt Place?

Edited by BlueHerons

I think that the cruise ships will have to get out of the hurricane danger and move to NEW YORK PORTS and other ports that are not in the way of the hurricane.

Some ships may have to move to Galveston, Texas, and maybe to Los Angeles, California for safety.

We just need to watch what really happens with the cruise ships and what their change of plans will be.

I would never fly to a port were there is a warning of a hurricane in order to take a cruise.

I think that the cruise ships will have to get out of the hurricane danger and move to NEW YORK PORTS and other ports that are not in the way of the hurricane.

Some ships may have to move to Galveston, Texas, and maybe to Los Angeles, California for safety.

We just need to watch what really happens with the cruise ships and what their change of plans will be.

I would never fly to a port were there is a warning of a hurricane in order to take a cruise.

I doubt it, unless after the storm passes, there is heavy damage to the port. More likely they will stay out an extra day or two, and see what is available. Nobody is moving to LA, as that is a minimum of 7 or 8 days additional sailing, plus the huge Canal fee, and scheduling a slot- the Canal operates at a very high percentage of capacity. Not going to happen.

Going to NYC would mean following the storm up the coast. Again, unlikely unlike the ports in the area are heavily damaged.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Yes, I would expect everything but hotel restaurants to be closed tomorrow. This evening only a handful of restaurants on Las Olas were open.

Are you at the Pier 66 or the Hyatt Place?

I'm at Hyatt Pier 66. We walked around the marina after breakfast this morning; yachts are secured with multiple lines and HUGE bumpers. Getting windy, a few rain bands.

Living in the northeast, we've gone through multiple hurricanes, but watching FL news, I feel confident in their safety protocols. The hotel has sand bags by the doors and all of our balcony furniture is in the room; double locking on the slider, too. We have a corner room, with wrap around balcony, overlooking part of A1A and the yacht basin. We've had the same room last December - great view of ships coming in and out of PE, though no ship traffic now. Hope to see the Coral on Sunday.

Darcy

Makes no sense to me. Ships are safest when at sea, in an area away from storms. It's far too costly to move a ship thousands of miles when staying a few hundred miles away works for passengers onboard, and those anticipating a cruise.

Darcy

Makes no sense to me. Ships are safest when at sea, in an area away from storms. It's far too costly to move a ship thousands of miles when staying a few hundred miles away works for passengers onboard, and those anticipating a cruise.

Darcy

Agree. The ships will be perfectly safe in the Western Caribbean (Coz must be really crowded). Or Puerto Rico, St. Thomas area, the storm has passed there.

They would never move the ships to California.

Ya I hope the ports don't have too much damage....I am 4 blocks from the beach and we are gonna ride it out along with many neighbors who are also staying....

Be safe...prayers

If we were booked on a ship leaving north of Palm Beach County, I would be more concerned.

The Speedway across from Hyatt 66 is closed, though I'm still watching cars driving along A1A. Rain has been minimal, a few bands, then wind, nothing significant. DH has binoculars, so we can look toward the coast - large white caps, but I've seen much larger on the North Coast of Hawaii on a good day. Yes, weather can change in an instant.

Friends who will be joining us on the Coral Princess live in Boca where they will experience more weather than Lauderdale.

Heading to Hyatt 66 Happy Hour - sure beats the water taxi today!!!

Darcy

Ya I hope the ports don't have too much damage....I am 4 blocks from the beach and we are gonna ride it out along with many neighbors who are also staying....

Be safe...prayers

Stay safe. My daughter lives in downtown Jacksonville and they left last night.

The local newspaper (the Sun-Sentinel) is reporting that "The county hopes to reopen Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport and Port Everglades, a cruise hub, on Friday".

Great. But all the ships will be heading to Los Angeles...so no business!! :D:D;)

Sometimes when things get bad I put on my foil beanie and hide under my bed.

John&LaLa hope you guys still have power and are doing okay!

Yesterday morning the hubs and I actually went to the Elbo Room on Fort Lauderdale Beach and drank beer. It was packed.

Sometimes when things get bad I put on my foil beanie and hide under my bed.

John&LaLa hope you guys still have power and are doing okay!

Yesterday morning the hubs and I actually went to the Elbo Room on Fort Lauderdale Beach and drank beer. It was packed.

We had power all day. Mainly superficial damage to the complex. To early to tell how many palm trees are lost. We did have three cars with smashed glass from roof tiles, but no storm surge.