cancellation

Team

We MUST Dec 4 Silhouette cruise, planed on getting ins but have none at this time.

Need help and info on with plan of action with the cruise line regarding refund ect. ect.

any help with advice welcome

Thank you

We MUST Dec 4 Silhouette cruise, planed on getting ins but have none at this time.

Need help and info on with plan of action with the cruise line regarding refund ect. ect.

Thank you

Your BIG mistake was no insurance!!! This IS a must! You need to get ins. when you book a cruise. Don't go with the cruise line ins. either. All that being said, you might be able to get the deposit transferred to a future date, but the cruise line is under NO obligation to do so. You may have learned a tough lesson here.

Thank you

Look at the cancellation schedule on your reservation confirmation. You may be in 25% penalty which means that celebrity will keep 25% of your cruise fare. You are entitled to a full refund of port fees and taxes plus gratuities if you prepaid those.

I would contact Celebrity asap and see if you have any options. Best scenario is probably as Cruisestitch said is to see if they will transfer your booking. I think you will find they are under no obligation to do this but may offer....

Thank you

t - I understand your pain and do recollect your earlier post(s) in relation to cruise insurance.

I, too, thought I could gamble and postpone getting insurance and I lost. The cruise line was gracious enough to transfer a portion (30%) of my full payment to a new booking to be taken within one year.

I was grateful for that amount, yet since then it has never, never, ever, ever skipped my mind to NOT get insurance for travel.

In your previous post the concern was about getting a payout, yet with the proper guidance, payout is the least of the challenges. In this case you chose to self-insure your cruise against better input.

I trust it works out to your satisfaction and good luck.

Contact Celebrity as a single day can make a huge difference in what if any $ get refunded.

After you have canceled and know what money you forfeited look into whether or not the credit card you paid with offers and travel protection. Our does and will cover costs associated with cancelling up to a specified limit.

Edited by jelayne
Typo

Your BIG mistake was no insurance!!! This IS a must! You need to get ins. when you book a cruise. Don't go with the cruise line ins. either. All that being said, you might be able to get the deposit transferred to a future date, but the cruise line is under NO obligation to do so. You may have learned a tough lesson here.

20+ cruises and never have I purchased insurance. So no, it's not a MUST. It's a choice that each person needs to make based on their situation and financial means. We know the risks when we book a cruise and live with them. If/when we can't make a cruise that we have booked we'll be sad and disappointed but we knew the risk of not purchasing insurance. (We do have medical insurance that includes immediate care and transportation home.)

To the OP, it sounds like you also knew the risk and had a good idea this day would come. As others have mentioned, contact Celebrity and be thankful for any refund they provide.

Good luck, please let us know the outcome.

Edited by RickT

20+ cruises and never have I purchased insurance. So no, it's not a MUST. It's a choice that each person needs to make based on their situation and financial means. We know the risks when we book a cruise and live with them. If/when we can't make a cruise that we have booked we'll be sad and disappointed but we knew the risk of not purchasing insurance. (We do have medical insurance that includes immediate care and transportation home.)

To the OP, it sounds like you also knew the risk and had a good idea this day would come. As others have mentioned, contact Celebrity and be thankful for any refund they provide.

Good luck, please let us know the outcome.

This is definitely a culture difference as I personally don't know anyone on this side of the pond that doesn't purchase travel insurance. Obviously there are some out there that don't bother, but I'd say they were in the minority. Many TAs sell the insurance as part of their package and many banks also include it in their perks on certain accounts ;). Perhaps a younger demographic may skip travel insurance :confused:, but I'd say most of my generation considers it as being part of the vacation/holiday expenditure.

Take it from someone who had to take advantage of his cruise insurance. It is a godsend. NEVER sail without it. On the other hand, my father sailed into his 90s and never purchased it and never had to cancel a cruise out of the almost 100 he took. His attitude was that he could take several cruises on what he saved. He gambled and won but that is not always the case. Yes, cruise insurance is expensive especially now that we are older but it does give one peace of mind.

I hope it all works out for you. My experience with Celebrity has always been positive. Good luck and keep us posted.

In the past we only purchased insurance for the big trips, Alaska, Baltic's, Mediterranean. But then in October 2010 I got deathly ill the day before we were suppose to board Mercury in Baltimore. I was not allowed to travel for 4-5 weeks and couldn't anyway since I was so sick. We did not have insurance. Now we think twice.

We are both 77 . My wife never got ill ;but ,I did in Europe & other trips/cruises . In total our travel insurance must have paid close to $40000 in benefits & there was no medical evacuation .

If we couldn't afford the trip insurance ,we would take road trips ;as we do carry medicare . We can cancel hotels up to 24 hrs in advance & thus no need for insurance ;)

We also have a Citi Hilton Honors Reserve credit card & if we book the entire trip cost under $5000 we are fully covered as if it were regular travel insurance & we get Hilton Honor Hotel points to boot :D. I hear that the Chase Sapphire premium credit card can insure up to $10000 trip cost . Be aware that those 2 credit cards cost $95 per year . Check out all the perks on line for each credit card as there are many more, that are excellent ;)

We have the Chase Sapphire preferred it gives up to $10000. Per person for cancellation and for trip interruption and many other great perks! Its a great card we collected $4000 last year when my wife was injured on a long cruise to Australia for trip interruption!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This may sound insensitive but you gambled and lost. From reading the other posts it sounds like you had a discussion about insurance so it is not like you didn't understand what it meant to not get insurance. You just chose not to.

I don't insure all my cruises. I evaluate the potential loss if something should happen and make my decision accordingly. But...if I took that gamble and lost, I don't think I would be posting on CC asking for help on how to get a refund.

:p

This may sound insensitive but you gambled and lost. From reading the other posts it sounds like you had a discussion about insurance so it is not like you didn't understand what it meant to not get insurance. You just chose not to.

I don't insure all my cruises. I evaluate the potential loss if something should happen and make my decision accordingly. But...if I took that gamble and lost, I don't think I would be posting on CC asking for help on how to get a refund.

:p

Exactly. It's a risk you chose to take and lost. Best to see if you can still get some of your money back if it isn't to late. Chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Check and see if you can get insurance now. I had clients who didn't want insurance... a week before the cruise their father got deathly ill. I bought them insurance and he did indeed die the day before the cruise and they cancelled, it was a covered event.

You had a previous post on this site more then a month ago and before final payment on your cruise was due where you stated there was a 40% chance you would have to cancel the cruise. You asked for advice and information about trip insurance. More than 30 members offered you advise and guidance. Therefore, you were fully informed of the risks and of your options.

You made an informed decision to not purchase the trip insurance and placed a bet on the entire cost of the cruise. You lost. Celebrity is under no obligation to give you anything other than the refund stated in the cruise agreement that you accepted when you made final payment.

Check also to see if you have insurance on your bank account. We are with Lloyds. Some types of accounts come with travel insurance and ours is surprisingly comprehensive and not expensive (about £5 per month). Ours even covered an upgrade to first class for my return home after breaking my foot on my cruise.

Check and see if you can get insurance now. I had clients who didn't want insurance... a week before the cruise their father got deathly ill. I bought them insurance and he did indeed die the day before the cruise and they cancelled, it was a covered event.

Please becareful with this. Most travel insurance policies require that the purchaser be able to travel at the time of purchase. If the purchaser is already sick or injured at time of purchase the claim will most likely be denied and you will be out the cost of the insurance as well as the cost of the trip. This would also apply to most policies if the condition was preexisting and then aggravated to limit or exclude travel. It's kind of like buying auto insurance after you crash.

I believe the reason the policy covered in the above example was that the parent was alive on the purchase date therefore death was not preexisting. In the same situatation if they had tried to purchase after the parent had passed away IMHO the claim would have been denied.