Auto Gratuity Deadline Removal

montrealroyalc

Interesting thread with plenty of comments that make for entertaining reading. As an Australian, the concept of tipping is somewhat foreign to us although it is becoming a little more prevalent in hospitality.

For all you happy cruisers from North America, please have a little understanding for those of us for whom tipping is out of the norm. The OP's name/signature doesn't indicate where they are from so maybe they (like me/us) are unfamiliar with tipping. Believe me when you're not used to it it can be daunting/confusing as to who to tip, when to tip and how much to tip.

So cut the OP a little slack, maybe there wasn't any malice in their question and maybe they have not intention to rip any of the crew off.

Happy cruising everybody.

I would hazard a guess rightly or maybe wrongly at young Canadian/French Canadian or based in Canada as there are 3 pointers just looking at the OP's first post. So tipping is part of everyday culture up there too if that is the case or not who knows, but hey that's not really any of our business anyway is it.

I too come from a culture with no heavy tipping but when in Rome.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Perhaps we can get some guidance from how the tips used to be distributed until several years ago. Prior to auto tipping it was quite simple, you received envelopes and gave the money to the following people.

Steward, Assistant Steward, Head Housekeeper

Waiter, Assistant Waiter and assistant Maitre'd for your area.

That was it however it was not confused by Select dining, specialties, Blu, Luminae and whatever. Basically the people I mentioned got their tips and kept them. What they do now, who knows.

And the dining room was much emptier on the last night of the cruise when the envelopes were to be handed out. Surprise!

I'm not sure how the stiffers avoided house keeping.

Perfect comment. There's nothing that riles me up more than people who feel the need to have the ability to cheat others under the guise of "well it's their system." It's the whole concept of doing what's right even when no one is looking. In the same way it's the excuse that "we will never see these people again." Alas, they ARE looking.

And the dining room was much emptier on the last night of the cruise when the envelopes were to be handed out. Surprise!

I'm not sure how the stiffers avoided house keeping.

Haha, great comment It tells you that by the stiffers slithering out of tipping, they KNOW well indeed that they are not doing the right thing. I recall those last night absentee empty seats. Two of our dining companions didn't say a word to any of us about not being there the last night, and they were the most demanding passengers I've ever experienced, with special requests every evening, sending things back, etc. We would have changed our table, but the other couples were all lovely.

For all you happy cruisers from North America, please have a little understanding for those of us for whom tipping is out of the norm. The OP's name/signature doesn't indicate where they are from so maybe they (like me/us) are unfamiliar with tipping. Believe me when you're not used to it it can be daunting/confusing as to who to tip, when to tip and how much to tip.

Sorry, but I for one don't really have any understanding for those that tipping is out of their norm, because just like when I travel (I've traveled extensively out of the North America), I do my research with regard to each countries customs, which includes tipping. Before anyone removes the automatic gratuities, a simple call to the cruise line or some research on line would have them understand why it is done. I believe it is more of "we don't do it back home, so I'm not doing it here" mentality, but that is just MHO.

December will be my first Celebrity cruise, but this is a common discussion (argument) on the RCI board. I don't know that it was really that simple back in the day. I suspect there was some pooling, or that the tipped staff "retipped" some of their helpers. Which I largely consider to be none of my business. Others feel differently.

I think you'd need an international tax attorney to really break down the pros and cons of gratuities versus higher wages for both the cruise line and the employees. I understand the thoughts of Brits and Aussies in particular where tipping is really unusual, and of the US where it's common. There clearly are advantages to the cruiseline and the employees of working compensation the way they do, or they'd change the system.

I suspect it may not be simple for the cruise line but it was simple for us. It still is IMHO, believe some just think too much into it.

This thread has made for interesting reading for me as an Australian where we do not have a tipping culture..........

I was checking out some places to eat in Sydney and I cam across comment on their website several times. Maybe things are changing?

...more like how to get out of it...

And get out of it on the last night so they can sneak off in the morning and get all of that service at no cost to them.

Really, how many people are going to wait in that last night line because they just walked around the ship tipping all of those who served them? Yeah right.

Flutter flutter. A bat just flew out of my butt

Sorry, but I for one don't really have any understanding for those that tipping is out of their norm, because just like when I travel (I've traveled extensively out of the North America), I do my research with regard to each countries customs, which includes tipping. Before anyone removes the automatic gratuities, a simple call to the cruise line or some research on line would have them understand why it is done. I believe it is more of "we don't do it back home, so I'm not doing it here" mentality, but that is just MHO.

Not for a minute in my post did I say that not tipping was appropriate or acceptable. What I did say it is confusing (because its new/different) to know who to tip, when to tip and how much to tip. Good for you that you've travelled widely and done plenty of research.

All I was asking for was a little understanding for those whom are not used to it and maybe, just maybe the OP did not have a sinister motive or intend to 'stiff' anyone. I think the OP was using this thread to do their own research only to get demonised for asking the question.

So in Australia tipping is not the norm and we sailed on a ship to and from an Australian port and only in Australian waters that had auto gratuities.... not sure exactly what 'customs' I'm supposed to know about or do research on in this instance. I'm comfortable that I fully aware of the Australian customs and way of life and tipping isn't one of them! Should I have made a song and dance and said I'm not paying gratuities because I've sailed on an Australian based ship under similar circumstances and there was no auto gratuities or compulsion to tip?

However I knew going in that gratuities were part of the deal and I have an understanding of why they are applied and it was no big deal for me. As I stated in both previous posts, we left the auto tipping in place and even tipped extra. If I take on board some of the other comments on this thread, I've probably done the wrong thing by tipping extra - go figure. See I'm still confused about tipping - who/when/how much.

Not for a minute in my post did I say that not tipping was appropriate or acceptable. What I did say it is confusing (because its new/different) to know who to tip, when to tip and how much to tip. Good for you that you've travelled widely and done plenty of research.

All I was asking for was a little understanding for those whom are not used to it and maybe, just maybe the OP did not have a sinister motive or intend to 'stiff' anyone. I think the OP was using this thread to do their own research only to get demonised for asking the question.

So in Australia tipping is not the norm and we sailed on a ship to and from an Australian port and only in Australian waters that had auto gratuities.... not sure exactly what 'customs' I'm supposed to know about or do research on in this instance. I'm comfortable that I fully aware of the Australian customs and way of life and tipping isn't one of them! Should I have made a song and dance and said I'm not paying gratuities because I've sailed on an Australian based ship under similar circumstances and there was no auto gratuities or compulsion to tip?

However I knew going in that gratuities were part of the deal and I have an understanding of why they are applied and it was no big deal for me. As I stated in both previous posts, we left the auto tipping in place and even tipped extra. If I take on board some of the other comments on this thread, I've probably done the wrong thing by tipping extra - go figure. See I'm still confused about tipping - who/when/how much.

And funnily enough it seems that about 90% of the thread asking, who, when, how much are started by Americans.

Yet if a non-American asks the same things they are told to research and "When in Rome", but then I also read post after post be Americans talking about how they tipped when in Australia, New Zealand or somewhere else and it being gratefully accepted. Never seem to see them being abused for not doing in Rome.

The problem we are beginning to have here in Australia, and I'm talking mainly in the large cities like Sydney and Melbourne, that restaurant staff are beginning to expect/hope for a tip. I think this might partly be because North American travellers do so automatically as it is ingrained in the way they pay for meals/service/drinks etc.

Tipping is not something we as a culture wish to allow to develop in Australia. That is, unless you work in the service industry! As I stated in a previous post, our workers are paid a fair wage for their jobs.

We always, always tip when travelling in the US/Canada and on cruises. I make it a point to research before hand expected percentages etc and do our very best to do the right thing.

The quote, 'When in Rome' also applies in the reverse. Australians do not tip so if you are travelling downunder please don't. If you had great service, thank them politely, pay the amount written on the bill and say goodbye. :)

OK I watched this thread but feel I now have to comment having spent 10 weeks travelling with our Aussie friends this year.

Our friends do tip everywhere they go-- BUT in Australia the tip given is not as large as other places around the world.

On cruises they tip extra to bartenders who give good service along with the usual tip recipients. We as a group have also tipped the Captains Club host.

On our last trip the queue at guest services on 1st night was largely made up of tip cancellers

Tipping is a culture and some just love not to tip--I have seen on early cruises some Floridians not turn up for dinner on "envelope night" others produce an envelope with $1 or $5 note. People that brag about it on here are just not worth giving the satisfaction of a discussion.

This is just my opinion please do not berate me for it

Liz

And there are also countries where tips will be refused or ignored because it is considered as unappropriate and unpolied.

Button line is everyone has to understand local culture and handling. That includes Americans when abroad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were in a restaurant in Chamonix recently seated on a table next to an American couple. They are a similar meal to us and I think their bill would have been roughly the same. The waiter couldn't believe his luck when they left a huge tip - we think about 20%

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And there are also countries where tips will be refused or ignored because it is considered as unappropriate and unpolied.

Button line is everyone has to understand local culture and handling. That includes Americans when abroad.

That is why auto gratuities work so well on cruises. You don't have to think about them, so it's pretty easy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is why auto gratuities work so well on cruises. You don't have to think about them, so it's pretty easy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree, takes the guesswork out of the equation.

As for the differences in cultural norms that are mentioned in this thread, yes they can be an issue but the Celebrity policy suggests a simple answer.

If one wishes to make the "problem" disappear completely, we usually sail on Celebrity's sister line, Azamara, where tips are included. There are other options to find this policy elsewhere.

On our last trip the queue at guest services on 1st night was largely made up of tip cancellers

Tipping is a culture and some just love not to tip--I have seen on early cruises some Floridians not turn up for dinner on "envelope night" others produce an envelope with $1 or $5 note. People that brag about it on here are just not worth giving the satisfaction of a discussion.

This is just my opinion please do not berate me for it

Liz

How do you know the queue was made up of people cancelling tips?

People missing on envelope night - coincidence or correlation who knows

That is why a little research helps. If everyone would just google tipping in the countries they are going to visit or read the cruise lines website or call the cruise lines and ask about their tipping/automatic gratuities/daily service charge policies before they get on the ship, etc. there would be no issues. But all to often people just do what they do at home, whether that means tipping in a country where it is not acceptable (as many North Americans do) or having that "we don't tip at home, so I won't tip here" attitude. A simple click of a mouse or an easy call would clarify the confusion some say they have with regard to tipping or not tipping.

How do you know the queue was made up of people cancelling tips?

People missing on envelope night - coincidence or correlation who knows

I was stood in line with a query and heard people requesting it and talking to each other whilst queuing!

That is why a little research helps. If everyone would just google tipping in the countries they are going to visit or read the cruise lines website or call the cruise lines and ask about their tipping/automatic gratuities/daily service charge policies before they get on the ship, etc. there would be no issues. But all to often people just do what they do at home, whether that means tipping in a country where it is not acceptable (as many North Americans do) or having that "we don't tip at home, so I won't tip here" attitude. A simple click of a mouse or an easy call would clarify the confusion some say they have with regard to tipping or not tipping.

TripAdvisor is another place that has information on tipping in countries you are traveling to. I always check, googling and TripAdvisor when I travel to other countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any modifications or adjustments to guests' gratuities are required to be requested before you depart your cruise.

If this is true it must be in the T/C's somewhere, why has no one found that and quoted it and why do people on here report queues to change it on ship?

#happy 2 b cruising

Bottom line is Celebrity needs to change their policy of allowing people to remove auto gratuities. It is really sad how some people feel stiffing, or short changing the hard working crew of their tips is perfectly ok. Most people use those little white envelope to give additional tips above the auto gratuities.

Celebrity the time has come to change your policies and stop allowing this practice of allowing certain people to stiff your crew by removing gratuities.

The only way they could do that in Uk is to include it in the price. Cruise lines would not be allowed to add compulsory costs like this to prices.

And if Celebrity who seem to have answered and given wrong information and nothing to support their statements are still reading, do the REAL RIGHT THING and include it in the price of the cruise.

Edited by AnOnymously

If this is true it must be in the T/C's somewhere, why has no one found that and quoted it and why do people on here report queues to change it on ship?

Aren't they lining up to pay before they depart the ship? I think you're misreading the response, which is that you need to adjust your gratuities before you leave and not after you get home.

The only way they could do that in Uk is to include it in the price. Cruise lines would not be allowed to add compulsory costs like this to prices.

It's not a compulsory cost if you can remove it. I'm not sure what you're arguing against at this point.