Worst customer service ever!

CaptnG

I don't normally complain in this type of venue, but I'm just so frustrated that I need to vent!

The shore excursions I had previously booked were on sale over the weekend and I had tried to cancel and then re purchase them at the reduced rate on the Royal Caribbean website, but I kept encountering errors and wasn't able to complete the booking for my ladadee excursions.

This morning I received notice the sale was extended through today and tried yet again to complete it on the website to no avail. So I decided to go ahead and call and just do it over the phone. I spent 30 minutes on hold and when my call was finally answered the agent I was working with accidentally canceled the select beverage package we'd purchased months ago.. she told me she couldn't fix it because the package is no longer sold via their website and when I said that's not ok this was your mistake and you need to fix it, she hung up on me!

So I called right back and again spent over 30 min waiting for someone to pick up the phone. I asked for a supervisor and explained the situation. She told me basically the same thing we're sorry for our mistake you can book the deluxe package for an extra $100 and to make it up to you I can offer you some toys for your kids and chocolate strawberries for you and your husband... I don't want toys and strawberries I want you to fix your mistake! I spent 40 more minutes on the phone arguing until she finally offered $100 in onboard credits if I paid for the deluxe package right now, which I finally accepted because I felt like that was really the only option, but I wasn't happy because we pre paid tips and our excursions and I'm not a big shopper so I don't know how we'll end up spending it. For all my troubles all I got was to put an extra $100 on my credit card! I then asked if we could finish rebooking my excursions (the whole reason I had called to begin with) and she tells me that it's after midnight (8pm in my time zone) and the sale has expired.... I literally started to sob out of frustration and her response was to tell me "it's not my problem, you had all weekend to book them".

I have never in all my life felt so cheated by a company, I wonder if they're encouraging employees to "accidentally " cancel select beverage packages and force you into buying the more expensive one. This will be my first time sailing RC and it'll be my last, I've always told people that the best part of cruising is how wonderful they treat you...apparently not the case when you sail with RC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't normally complain in this type of venue, but I'm just so frustrated that I need to vent!

The shore excursions I had previously booked were on sale over the weekend and I had tried to cancel and then re purchase them at the reduced rate on the Royal Caribbean website, but I kept encountering errors and wasn't able to complete the booking for my ladadee excursions.

This morning I received notice the sale was extended through today and tried yet again to complete it on the website to no avail. So I decided to go ahead and call and just do it over the phone. I spent 30 minutes on hold and when my call was finally answered the agent I was working with accidentally canceled the select beverage package we'd purchased months ago.. she told me she couldn't fix it because the package is no longer sold via their website and when I said that's not ok this was your mistake and you need to fix it, she hung up on me!

So I called right back and again spent over 30 min waiting for someone to pick up the phone. I asked for a supervisor and explained the situation. She told me basically the same thing we're sorry for our mistake you can book the deluxe package for an extra $100 and to make it up to you I can offer you some toys for your kids and chocolate strawberries for you and your husband... I don't want toys and strawberries I want you to fix your mistake! I spent 40 more minutes on the phone arguing until she finally offered $100 in onboard credits if I paid for the deluxe package right now, which I finally accepted because I felt like that was really the only option, but I wasn't happy because we pre paid tips and our excursions and I'm not a big shopper so I don't know how we'll end up spending it. For all my troubles all I got was to put an extra $100 on my credit card! I then asked if we could finish rebooking my excursions (the whole reason I had called to begin with) and she tells me that it's after midnight (8pm in my time zone) and the sale has expired.... I literally started to sob out of frustration and her response was to tell me "it's not my problem, you had all weekend to book them".

I have never in all my life felt so cheated by a company, I wonder if they're encouraging employees to "accidentally " cancel select beverage packages and force you into buying the more expensive one. This will be my first time sailing RC and it'll be my last, I've always told people that the best part of cruising is how wonderful they treat you...apparently not the case when you sail with RC.

And THIS is why it is so important to use a TA who is a top producer for the line you are sailing. That little snafu would then have been handled by the cruise line's regional sales director during a call from that TA.

And THIS is why it is so important to use a TA who is a top producer for the line you are sailing. That little snafu would then have been handled by the cruise line's regional sales director during a call from that TA.

I don't know any top travel agents, but I do know that this isn't how I should have been treated. It's their mistake and companies should try their best to resolve their mistakes, that's all I ask.. I didn't ask for upgrades or free beverage packages I just wanted back what I had already purchased from them. You shouldn't feel like you need to book 3rd party to protect yourself, you should book with a company that honors their commitments.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Based on what you said, I would have been extremely mad as well. I truly hope that this is the last of the bad experience for this cruise, and hope you have a wonderful time.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Based on what you said, I would have been extremely mad as well. I truly hope that this is the last of the bad experience for this cruise, and hope you have a wonderful time.

Thanks, I appreciate the sympathy! I really hope this will be the last bad experience we have with RC too.

Email Michael Bayley the CEO, his office has in the past fixed problems for me that were caused by customer service errors.

From memory I think it's mbayley@rccl.com but if you do a search of the boards it has been posted before

Please believe me that the service on the ships is much better than the telephone agents!

I would be very upset under these circumstances as well. Do you have the name of the agent who hung up on you? That is totally unacceptable! Clearly she was just trying to cover her a** after her mistake! I haven't had issues this serious, but I've read that there is a resolutions department you can call or email. A search on this board should find it. Can you cancel the pre-pay of gratuities and use the onboard credit to pay most of it - this way you're not guaranteed to have an extra $100 on your credit card. Not sure if you can do this after final payment. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Yup....I would certainly formulate a logical and well reasoned email. There is no excuse that their mistake should cost you. They should upgrade the beverage package and comp the difference due to their error.

Use the emails that others have suggested. All customer service calls are supposed to be recorded, so hopefully they can look up your call and have evidence of the errors made to your account. This is really awful, and I am so sorry that your first experience with RCI has been an unpleasant one.

This is just terrible and I don't blame you for being angry. Fortunately we haven't encountered anything this bad. I totally agree with other posters that you should send an email to both parties mentioned. I would draft an email on paper and outline every single detail to include names if you have them -- the first customer service rep you spoke with as well as the supervisor. Explain the difficulties you had with their website too. If you draft it first on paper, then you can go back and refine it. As said, detail it to the inth degree.

I certainly hope you get resolution to this matter.

I agree with everyone here. It may be a bother but it would be worth the hassle for satisfaction.

This doesn't happen often and you poor sap are just the one it happened to this time. All of us have had service issues from time to time...its how you handle it that makes a difference. ALWAYS write down names! And get to the resolution dept. They will make it happen for you. RCCL was definitely in the wrong, so eventually you will get what you deserve.

I have only had 2 issues in over 20 cruises with them and both times I ended up satisfied and got above and beyond my expectations. It took some tenacity though. My wish is that you see the good things RCCL and her lovely ships/crews have to offer and you end up loving it.

In any case, go out there and have a ball no matter what...

Bon Voyage

Had this happen last week for upcoming Harmony sailing. I went on a booked our shows and in the process it deleted my 4 night dining package. She could tell I was not the one that deleted it and it was a computer "glitch". I called Royal and guess what? The 4 night package costs more now than when I booked it. They basically told me the same thing. If I want to rebook it, it will be at the higher price. Granted, my difference was only $10 and they did give me a $10 OBC. However, I agree that it is really poor customer service.

While what happened with cancelling the drink package and not being able to rebook it at the original price is inexcusable I think there is more to the story about being hung up on. In this day and age of recorded calls I find it very hard to believe that anyone gets hung up on intentionally unless they are being hostile or using profanity towards the customer service agent. I just can't see a rep putting their job at risk over hanging up on someone unless there was a valid reason.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15] Absolutely no way you should stand for that!! Call resolutions today and get your select package back, or get the deluxe package for free and your $100 refunded. This is one of the few complaints I read on here that I actually feel completely bad for the poster because that was unacceptable for them to do and not fix. I hope there are notes in your account where they documented the problem and/or you got the name of the person who hung up on you. Call back and ask to be escalated to resolutions ASAP!

While what happened with cancelling the drink package and not being able to rebook it at the original price is inexcusable I think there is more to the story about being hung up on. In this day and age of recorded calls I find it very hard to believe that anyone gets hung up on intentionally unless they are being hostile or using profanity towards the customer service agent. I just can't see a rep putting their job at risk over hanging up on someone unless there was a valid reason.

So, you're trying to spin this and blame the OP?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't think many calls are really recorded. Many times I have had customer service issues on the phone and there's no recording and no notes about who I spoke to. Because of that I have learned to write down dates, times, names etc of everyone I speak to, especially if I'm trying to resolve an issue. If they make me a promise or an offer of some sort then I request an email that either updates my invoice or documents the conversation. If they can't send an email, then I ask for their email address and send them an email recapping our "deal" because they either have to refute the deal in writing, or they are agreeing to it.

I also used to have a little pocket recorder that I bought specifically because I had an ongoing issue I was trying to resolve where the person I was dealing with was so rude that I felt the need to record all further interaction with her. I would put the phone on speaker and just record the whole conversation. I caught her several times being nasty with me and one time she even hung up on me. I took the recording straight to her manager and I never dealt with that woman again, and my issue was resolved immediately. Some states don't allow you to do this without notifying the person on the other end of the phone, but in my state that is not a requirement.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

And since no one is allowed to post those names... how on Earth are people supposed to know who those TA are?

Email Michael Bayley the CEO, his office has in the past fixed problems for me that were caused by customer service errors.

From memory I think it's mbayley@rccl.com but if you do a search of the boards it has been posted before

Please believe me that the service on the ships is much better than the telephone agents!

I agree to email M. Baley. I had an issue that was resolved by an assistant that returned my email. I had records to back up my issue and it was resolved in my favor. I hope you had names of the agents you dealt with, it makes it easier for you.

This story drew empathy from me.....a person who first cruise on RCI in 1992......sorry it did not from you...I have had good and bad experiences with TAs...just sayin'

OP, I feel your pain only have read this response and your original post....

but I understand your venting Customer service is very important to me and you certainly did not receive it.......I am going to see what others have posted before I write my suggestion on how to proceed.

Edited by land lover

Other options:

The company could train people who understand customer service and take it seriously rather than just assume you will "lie there and enjoy it".

You could take you business to a company that can tell their rear from an hole in the ground.

she finally offered $100 in onboard credits if I paid for the deluxe package right now, which I finally accepted because I felt like that was really the only option, but I wasn't happy because we pre paid tips and our excursions and I'm not a big shopper so I don't know how we'll end up spending it.

You could try cancelling the pre paid tips and use it for that onboard. Of course with your luck they may end up cancelling something else again.:eek:

Suggestions have been great....

My addition.

Make your email short and to the point at the very beginning say what you want.

Then go into the hold times and rudeness of the reps, but only briefly...

The person who receives this on their desk wants it off quickly, so you need to tell them what will satisfy you at the beginning of the email.

Good luck...by no means you should take OBC, period!!!!!!

Edited by land lover