Prepackaged food

Rjh8842

I plan to take a few prepackaged snacks with me off the ship for snacks. What can I find on the ship prepackaged?

Pretty much the only included prepackage snack would be cereal or chips. The logo store has some stuff to buy but it is ridiculously expensive. A can of Pringles was more than $7.:eek:

We bring protein bars from home.

Whenever we travel I take packages of crackers and cheese. THEY have rescued us many times when we've been stuck on trains or in airports with nothing to eat. I also take them on cruises for long shore excursions when the provided "snack" isn't something we want to eat.

Concerning Oasis sandwiches from the Park Cafe, I know why someone mentioned them as they are sealed in a manner of speaking but of course, not factory sealed. They would not be permitted ashore.

With so much food served on a cruise I cannot imagine anybody would feel hungry between meals. However, if they are why can't they just buy something wherever they happen to be?

Not all excursions make stops to purchase food or what have you. Some are bus trips for hours at a time, some are boat trips, some are zip-lining.... not everywhere has options for purchase and certain people (like diabetics) need to have that consistency.

Langley Cruisers

If somebody has a condition and has to eat then, surely this would be pre planned. They could probably make arrangements with the Maitre D to have something prepared for them. There are not that many excursions that do not stop somewhere to buy something.

I think taking food off the ship is a bit cheap.

Over time we have brought an assortment of pre-packaged items ranging from packaged nuts, granola bars, fruit roll ups, nutri-grain bars, cheese & crackers, etc. You get the idea. Something light-weight, just to tide us over until we get back on the ship. Some of the excursions can be quite lengthy, and I tend toward headaches in the heat if I get too hungry.

Langley Cruisers

If somebody has a condition and has to eat then, surely this would be pre planned. They could probably make arrangements with the Maitre D to have something prepared for them. again, not an option to have something made on board to take off. pack lunches/box lunches are not factory sealed. There are not that many excursions that do not stop somewhere to buy something.

I think taking food off the ship is a bit cheap.

I think it is less about being cheap and more about being afraid to try new things. I remember people stationed in Japan who only at McDonalds or KFC off base. ( I loved the look on one guys face when he ordered a hamburger and then bit into it.. they don't use catsup. they use soy sauce and teriyaki sauce! ) or being overly paranoid about eating unsafe food/ items that your digestion isn't used to.

and nobody wants to be stuck on an excursion with cranky 7 year old who is hungry and the scheduled meal stop is not for another hour....

If somebody has a condition and has to eat then, surely this would be pre planned. They could probably make arrangements with the Maitre D to have something prepared for them...

No, it doesn't work that way. OP has asked about pre-packaged food because s/he knows that you cannot take food off the ship. It is not allowed. There are signs in the printed newsletter and again at the exit doors. You cannot take food off. Some passengers do, of course... but the rule exists for the health and safety of the port/countries the ship is visiting. Same thing about agricultural laws in other countries - you can't bring fresh food/plants/meat over certain borders. This is in effect in airports, land border crossings, as well as at cruise ship ports.

As a diabetic, I do pre-plan. I take factory-sealed (pre-packaged) foods off the ship with me to eat in port. I also take them on airplanes when we fly, and in the car on road trips. Does that make sense? You asked why people do this when there is an abundance of food on the ship. I'm hoping to help you understand how people with health issues need to think, not to mention just feeding a cranky toddler on a 5 hour excursion. ;):p