Elevator (Lift) Etiquette

yuvraj

People waiting outside of an elevator to get on?? They actually wait?? What cruise line is that?? How about holding the 'DOOR OPEN' button for people trying to exit that are getting pushed, their toes stepped on, by passengers rushing in without allowing them to exit the elevator 1st..

:(

Sometimes they jump on another car or take the stairs.

I know what you mean, when people smash their way on i always say theres no buffet in here so you dont need to rush in here.

It seems pretty obvious that elevator manufacturers included door close buttons for a reason. Rather than waiting, floor after floor, for the doors to close at their normally generous pre-set time, passengers can close the doors when entry and egress activity has ceased. Now, if someone is pressing the close button as soon as the elevator stops, before anyone has a chance to get on or off, then I agree with the OP that this is pretty anti-social.

On the other hand, I totally agree with others that you should never judge someone else's ability to use stairs based on appearances alone.

There is a tendency for people to press the door close button as soon as the elevator (lift) stops at a floor. Seriously anti-social in my opinion.

Usually done by people who are fit and healthy enough to take the stairs to the detriment of elderly and disabled.

A brief moan but I wish people on cruises were more considerate and less impatient.

Judge much?????? You have no idea why people take the elevator. Everyone has the right to take an elevator, it is not up to you to decide if they are fit and healthy enough.

Judge much?????? You have no idea why people take the elevator. Everyone has the right to take an elevator, it is not up to you to decide if they are fit and healthy enough.

I have to agree, since when are elevators for only the disabled. And btw I also have a disability that is not visible. I do try to take the stairs as often as I can because the exercise will do me good. The times I do use the elevator, I never wonder why anyone is using the elevator as it isn't my business, But when I do, I notice many rude people and not necessarily only fit people, I've had my foot rolled over a few times by wheelchairs, stepped on and also bumped into, most are sorry but some have no apology. What gets my goat is when the door opens and people rush in before letting people off.

How come no one has mentioned those that jump on a down elevator in order to ride it up. 😉.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Depending on where the elevator is in its travels i can see why people do it. I work construction and sometime you jump on the skip just so you have a spot. Its a bit extra time but either way you are waiting for it or in it.

There is a tendency for people to press the door close button as soon as the elevator (lift) stops at a floor. Seriously anti-social in my opinion.

Usually done by people who are fit and healthy enough to take the stairs to the detriment of elderly and disabled.

A brief moan but I wish people on cruises were more considerate and less impatient.

I agree that people can be rude with regards to elevators, however even if i was the most fit person that went to the gym for hours everyday I can still take the elevator if I don't feel like schlepping up or down stairs.

Only on these cruise boards have I seen so many people that try to make up random rules based on their own preferences or beliefs. It's crazy. If a seemingly healthy person wants to take the elevator down one floor so be it. As long as they are polite it isn't my business as to why they want to do that.

Depending on where the elevator is in its travels i can see why people do it. I work construction and sometime you jump on the skip just so you have a spot. Its a bit extra time but either way you are waiting for it or in it.

Case in point, muster just let out, everyone wants to go to upper decks. Push down button and jump on, that's just wrong

Just FYI, apparently after the Americans with disabilities act the close door button on elevators don't work. I know I didn't believe it. Look it up.

Being that all but one cruise ship sails under a Foreign Flag ADA does not apply. The cruise ship that must comply 100% to ADA is the NCL Pride of America that is registered to the USA, sails under the USA Flag and sails only is USA waters.

Though technically the close-door feature faded into obsolescence a few years after the enactment of the Americans With Disabilities Act in 1990 any elevator installed in a public building prior to 1990 and is still in operation today is "Grandfathered " until such time that the elevator has to be replaced. Most anything structural is "grandfathered" into ADA until such time that a full remodeling occurs for any public building built prior to 1990. Thus the reason there's still many obstacles regarding accessibility because building owners don't want to spend the money on a remodel.

How come no one has mentioned those that jump on a down elevator in order to ride it up. 😉.

honestly, I have done that after watching 4 or 5 completely full ones pass us by with no one getting off. ( another good reason to press the door close button immediately! )

Be careful judging someone who looks "fit & heathy" as being mobile enough for stairs..........not all disabilities are easily recognizable. Walking does not equate to being able to navigate stairs.

I agree with this post. I have severe osteoarthritis in both knees. I may not look handicapped, but stairs - even just one flight - are tough for me. Down is more painful than up.

So don't judge others. Just worry about yourself!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please let not be so quick to judge the 1 deck riders. Just because they are standing and moving doesn't mean climbing or descending stairs are easy for all individuals. Some have bad knees ( DH ), others have other situations so climbing stairs can be difficult. If I am out alone I will use the stairs but with my husband, he prefers to use an elevator even one deck. Now he could do it if needed but his right knee is beginning to cause him pain. Probably from his para trooper days.

I totally agree with you regarding people jumping into elevators before everyone has gotten off or not moving aside to let others off that is rude.

I had a situation whereby a man in a wheelchair & his wife were going to a floor after me. it would have meant she had to take her husband off to allow me out, I told them to go ahead to their floor and I would ride back down, no problem for me I wasn't in a hurry. Being considerate of others is very important.

I began cruising in the 80's and when it comes to elevator etiquette the one thing that has remained consistent has not been someone pressing the door close button; it has been & has always been people entering an elevator without taking a split second of their time to see if someone is trying to exit...

Let me out!! Don't run me over!!

The door closed button. Give me a break. Sheesh....

:(

Totally agree...see my post #13.

Case in point, muster just let out, everyone wants to go to upper decks. Push down button and jump on, that's just wrong

Only on these cruise boards have I seen so many people that try to make up random rules based on their own preferences or beliefs.

Yup.

We got on the elevator with a young girl about 11 or 12 and a woman. The young girl proceeded to repeatedly tap the door close button for every deck. People were missing the elevator by a second and there was only four of us on it. After the third deck I told her to stop so people could get on. Little did I know the woman was her mom and she finally told her little brat to stop after I spoke up. That's why manners are lost.

Edited by Big_G

Telling a (seemingly) fit person they have no right to the elevator is equivalent to telling an obese one they have no right to the buffet!

Last I knew, elevators are a means of transportation for all passengers to use on a ship. Reason for said use is none of anyone's business.

Carry on.

I agree. Everyone pays their cabin fare, so why not use them. If you choose not to, that is a choice.

The thing about manners and etiquette is that people either have them or not. Being on a ship will make little difference.

In my experience, door rushing isn't just an onboard phenomenon. I work on the top floor, when the door opens, people just start walking on rather than letting occupants off first. Makes shakes my head and wish I was actually on a cruise rather than just going to work. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My biggest of big pet peeves are the people on scooters that try to ram their way in even when the elevator was full 4 people ago. Seriously they can see theres no room and once they are in motion theres no getting out of their way.