Elevators going from the back of the ship to the front

AmazedByCruising

Oh, we forgot that nobody is allowed to judge others these days (have you watched any of the cable news stations). But the formula is simply. Those with legitimate disabilities could simply get a sticker on their cruise card from Guest Relations. They would always have priority for any elevator. All other souls would have a separate queue (anyone willing to wait their turn could use an elevator) thus guaranteeing that these folks might have to wait up to 30 min for an elevator (even to go down one deck). So the choice would be to patiently wait your turn, or use the stairs. Kind of the way it is now...except we have often seen folks with serious disabilities waiting and waiting and waiting as many able bodied folks crowd into elevators leaving no room for their wheel chair, scooter, etc.

Hank

So now I need a doctors certificate to prove I need a lift.

So now I need a doctors certificate to prove I need a lift.

You must be a leftist since you misquote me :). I suggested that those with handicaps could request a pass (sticker on their cruise card) to give them priority for using any elevator. We will leave it to the cruise line as to how they handle that policy....since we all know how well they have handled the service dog issue (any dog is a service dog if the owner barks).

Anyone else is free to use the "lift" once all those who truly need the lift have been accomodated. And if those poor souls have to wait 30 min for a space in a lift...then so be it.

Hank

That would be Sinterklaas.

One thing you also didn't mention was that you would need two moving sidewalks, one going each way, so even more space taken up.

I have personally never seen an escalator on a ship, though I've heard that some have them. The cruise ships I've worked all had the galley on the same deck as the dining venue. I tremble to think of the maintenance headache, and the traffic problems when one goes down.

I've seen escalators on several ships - many of which have two-level main dining rooms.

But back to the moving sidewalks (two would be needed to allow for both directions): if they were installed, additional elevator crowding would likely result as the lazy ones among us would insist on going up (or down) to access them to avoid walking forward or aft - and, being lazy, would certainly not use even one flight of stairs to save some level walking.

I've seen escalators on several ships - many of which have two-level main dining rooms.

But back to the moving sidewalks (two would be needed to allow for both directions): if they were installed, additional elevator crowding would likely result as the lazy ones among us would insist on going up (or down) to access them to avoid walking forward or aft - and, being lazy, would certainly not use even one flight of stairs to save some level walking.

I'll admit that I don't take that many behind the scene tours, I already know what goes on :o I just know that those escalators would need to be maintained in the wee hours of the night, and can only imagine the frantic calls if one goes down during meal service. It was bad enough when they would call during a port arrival that a toaster wasn't working in the buffet. :eek:

And you're right. If there was only one deck with a moving sidewalk, there would be excessive elevator traffic taking people to that one deck to avoid walking.

I'll admit that I don't take that many behind the scene tours, I already know what goes on :o I just know that those escalators would need to be maintained in the wee hours of the night, and can only imagine the frantic calls if one goes down during meal service. It was bad enough when they would call during a port arrival that a toaster wasn't working in the buffet. :eek:

And you're right. If there was only one deck with a moving sidewalk, there would be excessive elevator traffic taking people to that one deck to avoid walking.

We have also seen those escalators on a couple of ships which have multi-level MDRs. They are behind closed doors and used by the waiters to move from the upper level dining area down to the main galley. I guess if the system went down during meal service the waiters would just have to build up their leg muscles :).

Hank

Moving walkways? Can we make the average cruiser any more lazy?

Sure, wheel us up through the buffet, so we don't have to waste eating time and energy walking and carrying. :p

Oh, and perhaps we could get our food, pre-chewed? Thanks, that'd be a wonderful service!

Edited by capncarp

I have personally never seen an escalator on a ship, though I've heard that some have them. The cruise ships I've worked all had the galley on the same deck as the dining venue. I tremble to think of the maintenance headache, and the traffic problems when one goes down.

Oasis Class has escalators that go to and from the embarkation/debarkation deck in ports. It's part of what keeps people moving and prevents crowds. If it breaks, you just walk like on a regular staircase. There is still an elevator for folks in wheelchairs, etc.

enhance

You had to see escalators on cruise ships to sense that?

I wasn't physically capable of doing the rim to rim hike at the Grand Canyon this past summer. They should have a scooter trail or conveyor belt to move us through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 7 months later...

Carnival's Project Pinnacle was supposed to have something way cooler than moving sidewalks; monorails to move people around, suspended on the outside of the ship on deck 2 and 16, with an elevator to go from one to the other (!).

Unfortunately, the project got cancelled because the Euro got too expensive to pay Fincantieri to build it.

Some Mediterranean ferries (specifically Mega Express 3 of Corsica Ferries) have them at the stern to bring pax from the vehicle (and passenger) loading door up to the passenger deck. It's quite a high one too as the vehicle hold is huge (and has two under main deck vehicle decks too).

http://www.naviearmatori.net/albums/userpics/10024/megaexpr3_.jpg

One other thought re: moving sidewalks. I doubt they would improve efficiency by saving time. Where they have them at airports I have noted that most people tend to get on them and stand still rather than keep walking - the result being that I can get to my gate faster by not talking the walkway (where I'd be blocked by standees) - I can walk faster than the walkway moves.

I have never thought you were supposed to walk on moving walkways. I have look it up on Wikipedia and they are for standing or walking. So you can do either. I always see them were there is the option to walk alongside the walkway. My thought was they were there for people who have trouble walking long distances, not so much for the able bodied people.

I'm still trying to figure out what "the I-95" is. Other than an interstate highway running North/South in the eastern United States.

The nickname given to the crew corridor that runs nearly the length of the ship. It'll be on the deck below the lowest passenger deck.

I have never thought you were supposed to walk on moving walkways. I have look it up on Wikipedia and they are for standing or walking. So you can do either. I always see them were there is the option to walk alongside the walkway. My thought was they were there for people who have trouble walking long distances, not so much for the able bodied people.

I agree! Same goes for escalators, especially since most of them are not as wide as the flat belts. My feeling is, if you want to walk up the stairs ... then walk up the STAIRS, not the escalators! And don't grumble at anyone "hogging" the space or simply standing & riding ... you have no idea what their situation is.

I agree! Same goes for escalators, especially since most of them are not as wide as the flat belts. My feeling is, if you want to walk up the stairs ... then walk up the STAIRS, not the escalators! And don't grumble at anyone "hogging" the space or simply standing & riding ... you have no idea what their situation is.

Many escalators advise users to stand on the right, walk on the left.

If you want to get around the airport fast you walk.

If you want a short rest (and at some airports you need this as distances to gates can be huge) you stand and let the walkway do the work.