Can I do a family of 12?

cl.klink

My wife and I plan to do a cruise for a big anniverary in 2019 (so, we have time to plan). Each of our three children have a SO and some have kids: child 1 has SO + 3 kids (15, 12, 7 yo by then), child 2 has SO 1 kid (will be just over 2 yo by then), and child 3 has SO. Can we all fit in the 4 BR Family Suite on Harmony of Seas? Should we try? Would a combination of rooms be better? I just want us all together on Jul 16, 2019.

Thoughts?

- Joel

I would look at separate cabins for each family group. Perhaps balcony cabins all in a row with 2 cabins for the family of 5. That way everyone can have a bit of privacy if desired.

Agreed.

And we plan way in advance, but three years is pushing it. You could have five more grandchildren by then. And you have a year and a half before bookings are even opened.

Hi there!

That may be a little too much togetherness! It is supposed to be a vacation after all...Everyone needs a little "Me Time" and there would be none! And one of the bedrooms will have 2 adults and 3 kids? 5 people in a room? That's not a vacation for any of the adults. And people will say "Oh...the kids can sleep on the sofa in the living room..." but that means having to tipee toe around them while they sleep.

Maybe add on one inside for the three kids right across the hall [if there is one?] Eight people? Maybe...12...I'd say you're better off with connecting rooms and some "space"...

HLR

DW and I are hosting a family cruise of 12 for this coming March. We looked at various configurations and decided on 5 cabins:

1. 2 adults, 1 toddler and 1 baby

2. 2 adults

3. 1 teen, 1 pre-teen, adjoining parents in #2

4. 1 adult, 1 pre-teen

5. 2 adults

First 4 are inside balconies, the last an ocean-view balcony.

We did a family cruise and had separate rooms. We get along great, but some down time is good, too. We went with an aft junior suite so we'd have a large balcony to hang out on together and two insides.

Edited by JoyMouse

I agree with what others have said, book separate rooms for each family. Not sure what the SO means. Possibly put the 15 yr old and 12 yr old in an inside across from their parents and the 7 yr old with parents ( 2 rooms ), Parents with 2 yr old together, so 4 rooms.

SO = Significant Other. I always have to think about it a few seconds.

I guess I am in the minority... Sometimes it makes more sense, money wise, to stay together, sometimes it makes sense to do (2) two bedroom suites and other times it makes sense to split into each couple/kids...

Just because you are sharing a room does not mean you need to spend 24/7 together.

The suite perks alone might make it more attractive. And IF YOU are paying for it, VS everyone paying their own way, go with what makes most sense to YOU! Your anniversary, your celebration, kids will make it work.

I know in MY family that we would go insane if we couldn't have some "alone" time during an entire week! Sometimes the kids will need a "time out", which would be difficult in one space (even with so-called "separate" bedrooms)....and I'm pretty sure everyone will be on somewhat different schedules....

I tried it in April with 16 family members, I wouldn't recommend it.

We did it for my elderly Mom, while she still could. And everyone, well almost, enjoyed it immensely...but for me, the pseudo travel agent, it is just a blur now. I remember hardly any of it. I couldn't tell you what we did in any given port almost! Lots of drama, problems that needed solving, complaints to guest services with me as the go between. Stress!

We were able to get 2 huge tables in the back of the MDR which worked very well, the head waiter can help you with that and you can email the dining dept in advance" rccldining@rccl.com. They handled it beautifully, but there were issues when some of the youngsters began bringing people they met on the cruise to our tables. :mad:grrrr. The wait staff were stressed.

After the cruise, we swore off any group bigger than 4, even 6 can pose problems, even though on most group cruises, we all agree to do our own thing and just come together at dinner. It can still create miffs when someone does not get their way. The most leisurely, stressless cruises we take are just the 2 of us....just saying.

I'm glad for my Mom's sake we did it, but never again...;)

Joy thank you, I should have known.:). I did figure it must be spouse with the children. Our adult daughter shared our JS last Oct but DH said 3 was ok but wouldn't want 4 in with us. As mentioned, when traveling with friends or family, we need time to ourselves and no need to spend every minute together doing the same things. We did a family cruise two years ago with the daughter and husbands sister and at times they did their own tours & we did ours.

I always say you never really know someone until you vacation with them. The cabin arrangements are only part of mix.You will become an unpaid cruise agent, babysitter, tour leader and all around mediator. And paying dearly for the job.

We have done that type of trip twice, three times if you count us tagging along with my brother and his kids.

Short answer, no way! You might think it's OK, I am 100% positive your kids won't. Everybody needs down time alone time just to enjoy the vacation.

Book early for connecting cabins as they go fast on some ships.

On our two trips DW and I booked an OS on the Oasis and Allure. It was perfect to host a sail away cocktail party for 12 -14. The deck and living area are more than large enough.

We even had a bar set up and buffet food brought in with bartenders and service people. Everybody felt it was one of the highlights of the cruise.

Book an OS and use your cabin as the hang out place where everybody can hook up before dinner, etc.

The other rule we had was we did two dinners all together as a group in the MDR. After that everybody is on their own. As grandparents we offered to baby sit one night so all the kids go out and party. We had a young GS and mom didn't feel comfortable leaving him with strangers.

Edited by jamesr3939

I would call now and price the 4 bedroom suite. Remember that it is star class and everything is included (gratuitees, specialty restaurants, drink packages) and you get the Coastal Kitchen and suite lounge. The 4 bedroom can fit up to 16 people. With everything that is included you may find that is the way to go.

We are in that room in January and we booked it in June of 2015. We are 8 adults, DH and myself, DS and DDIL, DS and BIL, and the outlaws(daughter in laws parents) and are really looking forward to it

Joel,

The 4 bedroom Presidential Suite 12640 has

- two bedrooms sleeping two

- two inside bedrooms sleeping four (two on pullman beds)

- one sofa bed sleeping two

So you have to split up the families on the four bedrooms (and the insides ones sleeping four aren´t really big ones). The sofa might not be very comfortable for sleeping.

You can see photos here (scroll down to the PS 12640).

steamboats

I would have to disagree with a lot of the responses here, and I'd book the family suite. Four years ago we upgraded our group of 7 into that suite on Oasis a week before boarding and I was there with my wife and our child, my brother and his wife and my parents. While 7 is a lot less than 12, you could put the 15 year old on the sofa so you're not worrying about making too much noise, too early, and keeping them up at night.

I don't know about how anyone else cruises, but most people don't spend that much time in the room anyway so the whole "too much togetherness" isn't that big of an issue. If they need to get away they do all have their own bedroom they can go to. The deck on the suite is amazing, and once the staff realizes which room you have they will make sure you get whatever you want. I remember ordering room service right when we got to the room because I had missed lunch (and it was now 3pm) and even though room service didn't start until 5, I phoned the room service manager that just called and she took care of that, and I had food in 10 minutes.

I will warn you though, if Harmony dry docks between now and 2019 that room will likely be removed as it has been from the Oasis and Allure. It is available on the Freedom class ships though, so that could be an option.

The other side of it is - it's a huge boat. If you need to get away and you can't locate a quiet place that no one else can find you then you simply are not trying. The library and the card room are almost always empty and quiet. Quiet time away from family does not have to occur in your room.

My siblings, 7 of us could all share tight spaces because we grew up in a small 3 bdrm house. We're also very close to this day. We're always at someone's house having breakfast, lunch, dinner or just hanging out with each other. So with that being said you know your kids. If your family hangs out all the time anyway it shouldn't be a problem. Go for it!

However, if no one gets along get separate cabins. One less headache for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

My parents had their 50th anniversary this summer. Our family group of 12 all went. I have 3 kids (2 are young adults), my sister has 3 kids. We all had individual rooms for our family groups. We had 5 rooms total: DH, DD-9, and I in a balcony, my sons (19 & 21) in their own inside, my parents in a balcony next to mine, my sister and family in connecting interiors. As close as your family may be, I feel that some privacy makes everyone happier. We met for dinner every evening at a table for 12 and did a few excursions together. We were together plenty, but everyone needs some time apart occasionally. It makes for a better trip for all, IMO.

Edited by khm1

My DH and I stayed in a RFS, just the 2 of us. We had plenty of room (obviously) and hosted a party for friends we made. But no way would I want a large group staying in the suite. 4 would be enough for me. We did a family cruise last year, 10 adults and had 3 balcony cabins next to each other and 2 insides opposite, worked perfectly. We are cruising next week, a group of 12, all in separate cabins. We will all come together for dinner and I have no doubt that during the day different people will hook up. The important thing is for every one to do what they want and not feel pressured to 'join in'.