What's your favorite wine? What's all the hype about?

ettaterrell

OP was last seen walking out of 7-11 with a 12 pack of Natural Lite

painful lesson learned

Next time something goes wrong for you.... remember being an ass only leads to carma being a bitch. And think if me! Ok sweetie? Now you enjoy your day tomorrow [emoji8].

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Next time something goes wrong for you.... remember being an ass only leads to carma being a bitch. And think if me! Ok sweetie? Now you enjoy your day tomorrow [emoji8].

huh?

or

OK!

btw this year's Beaujolai Nouveau is excellent IMO .... going out to buy a second case

oh

I see you are OP and missed my point

I was trying to say sorry we chased you off when the wine snobs took over

but I guess I missed .....

Were I you ... I'd stay away from wine after this!!!!

But if you think I dissed you .... oh well, won't be the first time.

btw am I the carma or the bitch or the ass or the sweetie ... I'll be thinking IF me .....

Nothing ever goes wrong for me .... I'm special

Edited by Capt_BJ

You don't have to get all matchy matchy but you should be aware of foods that will make a wine taste like crap. Have a curry, hot wings, or Thai food with that cab and see what a difference it makes.

This is true, and there is science behind it. Your mouth perceives alcohol as heat. So when you combine a tannic, higher alcohol wine with spicy food, heat + heat makes an unpleasant pairing.

Curries and Thai pair beautifully with sake or Kabinett Rieslings are great matches for these foods.

Pro-Tip: when in doubt, Brut Champagne pairs with almost anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok I got back from my cruise and only tried one wine that my sister n law had which was a moscato? It was nice but alittle to sweet so now I'm back home and my oldest goes out and gets me 2 kinds to try another moscato and a reslings. Again Moscoto was to sweet and it also had the bubbles (what is this called in wine terms?). I don't like the fuzzy feel with that kind of wine. Now the resling is pretty good! Not fuzzy/bubbles, not to sweet but it has alittle tart taste to it? (Makes the top of my mouth feel dry like eating an unripened banana)

What do I need to stay away from if I don't like the fuzzy or the tart taste? What do you wine drinkers call these things? I'm on a wine app that gives reviews and they are describing theirs taste in different wines but I'm at a loss! Besides when they say sweet lol. I am guessing this tart feeling would be dry?

What is another wine in should try knowing that I'm not fond of the overly sweet or the bubbles lol. Thanks and I hope y'all don't mind me asking questions!

Moscato typically doesn't have any effervescence. That bottle might have been going through what is known as a secondary fermentation if the yeast wasn't all killed off in the bottle before bottling.

Next, figure out if you are tasting sweet or fruit in the wines you like. This will sound silly, but it works... Hold your nose and stick your tongue in your wine. Taste something? It's sweet. Taste nothing, it's fruit. That will help guide you towards other varietals to try.

I would suggest trying a few Reislings until you land in something you like. That is a varietal that is all over the place in what you get from the glass.

You might also like Chenin Blanc, aka Vouvray. It has a very similar profile to Riesling, although it would be rare to confuse them once you've tasted them.

And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, buy the book Wine Folly. It is loaded--but not overloaded--with information that will allow you to have a great start on your wine journey. It's under $20 on Amazon.

Thank you so much this will help... I do think I like sweet just not as sweet as a moscato! Almost like drinking sugar lol.

This is the riesling I had that I liked the other day...

94e49f55c89b740a38936b712bc5dffd.jpg

Tonight my husband brought me this one and I didn't like it at all! Not sweet at all and I can't even describe the taste.

2a0c30050d45dff68313bad97582f14c.jpg

I also tried an Pinot Grigio and didn't care for it at all!

b5a93085dfb2ae49b5b1aa966f43c046.jpg

Husband told me I can't try this all in a week or we would go broke lol. I guess if it was one I would like it wouldn't be bad but now I have 3 bottles I don't like [emoji15]

Thanks again for the direction I will look into your suggestions.

Kung Fu Girl is a Charles Smith wine. The most overrated winemaker in the world in my opinion. None of those wines are of any real quality. Stop buying at the grocery store and instead find a wine shop or go to BevMo or Total Wine and talk to their wine people. Tell them what you do and don't like, and let them offer suggestions. If you tell us what area you live in, we might even be able to suggest a shop.

I've been drinking wine for a long time and well aware of the whole pairing hype. That's why I said I don't concern myself with pairing the wine to the food I'm eating. Another thing I don't concern myself with is the type of glass the different wines or even beers should be drank out of. I know I go against the grain but that's my preference. Cheers!

If you ever get the chance to participate in a Riedel experience you would take back what you said about bowl shape.

I don't disagree that they can wait on food pairing what I disagreed with was your statement that good wine is good wine no matter what's it's paired with. There's nothing wrong with knowing that it can make a difference.

Agreed. One of the worst pairings I have ever had was a mature CDP (not Blanc) with crab. Either one on their own are fantastic, but together--rubbish.

There must have been a disconnect with the kitchen as to either exactly what the wine was, or what the dish being offered was. If had been a CDP Blanc it would have been a lovely pairing.

Moscato d'oro (even a really good one) will generally be quite sweet. As for reislings, you haven't identified the type, winery, etc. After all, there are $5 to $50 Rieslings with origins from across the globe.

That said, let's make it easy for your next tasting of white wines:

Buy a bottle of Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio, which will run $17-$20. Not sweet but not ultra dry and no bubbles (I.e., sparkling wine). It's pretty much the readily available "standard" for Pinot Grigio. If you like it you could also try a Sauvignon Blanc, which is more "dry". Here, a readily available $15+\- example would be Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand). It doesn't sound like you're anywhere near ready to taste the difference in Chardonnays. So, steer clear for now.

Whatever you do, don't buy cheap wine. Perhaps I am over-generalizing but, from $15-$25/bottle, at least you're more likely to get something that suits your taste without breaking the bank.

If money is an issue, you could try one or two brands of boxed wine (yes-really) that will help you, at least, find your comfort zone. Of all the stuff in boxes, the only really decent box wines IMO are made by Bandit and Black Box.

Finally, let's throw you one curve ball: if you can find them in a store (otherwise purchase online from the winery), get a Rosé of Pinot Noir - either the regular offering from Navarro (Mendocino County) for under $20 or the "Estate" bottle from Martin Ray (Sonoma County) due out in February 2017 ($25??).

Let us know how it goes. And, again, try to avoid cheap wine in your quest to home in on a varietal and style.

I disagree about cheap wine always being bad. The key is knowing what you are buying. I buy a case of $10-15 bottles each month as cellar defenders, and while they are one dimensional compared to my Cayuse allocation that arrived the other day, they are consistently 87-90 point wines. Small grower producers and negotiants from the Loire, Right Bank, Provence, Rias Baixas, Minho, Austria, the list goes on. The key is finding a wine shop that carries these wines with a buyer whose palate you trust.

If you ever get the chance to participate in a Riedel experience you would take back what you said about bowl shape.

I have. My comment was based on my experience and that's why I made the comment I don't concern myself with...

I have. My comment was based on my experience and that's why I made the comment I don't concern myself with...

Even Georg Riedel has backed off his previous claims. Science does not support it. An "experience" led by a Riedel sales rep is not science. :eek:

I personally enjoy the esthetics of a wine stem, but paying more than a couple bucks for a stem that I am going to use for everyday enjoyment is just not going to happen. My everyday stems are restaurant Libbeys. I do confess, however, that when friends come over for dinner, I do bring out prettier ones--some even have logos etched in their base. :)

OK. I see you liked the Chateau St. Michelle. I'll give you another one to try: Hogue. It is another Washington State winery. You will usually find 2 different Rieslings from them, a Riesling and a late-harvest Riesling. the late-harvest will be a little sweeter, as the grapes were allowed to sit a little longer before being pulled from the vine. I like the Riesling - nice green apple taste to me, not too sweet, but not too dry. This is my "have in the refrigerator" bottle in the summertime - for me, it's an easy and good drink in the afternoon/evening.

And, for a beginner, the price point for both is pretty good - usually around $10/bottle.

I like Rieslings. There are so many styles of the wine to play with. The one Riesling that I cannot stand are those Alsatian ones. The gasoline smell/taste from the mineral content of the soil in the area just doesn't do it for me.

Even Georg Riedel has backed off his previous claims. Science does not support it. An "experience" led by a Riedel sales rep is not science. :eek:

I personally enjoy the esthetics of a wine stem, but paying more than a couple bucks for a stem that I am going to use for everyday enjoyment is just not going to happen. My everyday stems are restaurant Libbeys. I do confess, however, that when friends come over for dinner, I do bring out prettier ones--some even have logos etched in their base. :)

If the taste of a wine is significantly impacted by what type of glass it's in then it's not a wine for me.:o

If the taste of a wine is significantly impacted by what type of glass it's in then it's not a wine for me.:o

Agree. Here's another shocker I don't concern myself with. I own a Vivid Decanter and Aerating Funnel set. I might have used it a couple of times and could not taste the difference in the wine poured through the aerator and into the decanter first or directly from the bottle to the glass. Contrary to what I was led to believe at different wine tastings.

Edited by davekathy

It's not so much the taste that is affected by the shape and glass attributes as it is their promotion of some of a particular wine's qualities (e.g., nose, effervescence).

If money/storage/etc is an issue, check out the Pinot Noir stem from Schott Zweisel (below), which is (IMO) as close as you can get to a "multi-purpose" wine glass as I have found. Can't remember the "model number." But, you can find them at Sur Le Table for about $10/stem. They serve as our everyday wine glasses at home.ImageUploadedByForums1480791338.147057.jpg.bca315004068f94815fd2eaa3b13ecfc.jpg

OK. I see you liked the Chateau St. Michelle. I'll give you another one to try: Hogue. It is another Washington State winery. You will usually find 2 different Rieslings from them, a Riesling and a late-harvest Riesling. the late-harvest will be a little sweeter, as the grapes were allowed to sit a little longer before being pulled from the vine. I like the Riesling - nice green apple taste to me, not too sweet, but not too dry. This is my "have in the refrigerator" bottle in the summertime - for me, it's an easy and good drink in the afternoon/evening.

And, for a beginner, the price point for both is pretty good - usually around $10/bottle.

I like Rieslings. There are so many styles of the wine to play with. The one Riesling that I cannot stand are those Alsatian ones. The gasoline smell/taste from the mineral content of the soil in the area just doesn't do it for me.

Just now trying hogue4dd460bc3cf6961551b0837e89c24e8c.jpg... very good! Thanks Any more suggestions? It's right on the spot if sweetness but nothing sweeter than this or it would be too sweet.

Agree. Here's another shocker I don't concern myself with. I own a Vivid Decanter and Aerating Funnel set. I might have used it a couple of times and could not taste the difference in the wine poured through the aerator and into the decanter first or directly from the bottle to the glass. Contrary to what I was led to believe at different wine tastings.

Invest in a decent Brunello (check Costo for a couple of choices, each priced at under $50. Pour a couple of ounces directly in a glass and slowly drink it. Decant the rest and let it aerate for at least 10 minutes. Pour another couple of ounces. Taste it. Should be a difference- even for an unsophisticated palate.

Like with the glassware, you should be doing this with good wine. Someone else mentioned avoiding supermarkets. I agree only because the top shelf wine selection will be limited (unless, perhaps, it is a California Safeway or smaller independent grocer in a major CA metro area).

As for BevMo vs Total Wine, IMO Total Wine has a better selection and more knowledgeable staff.

Invest in a decent Brunello (check Costo for a couple of choices, each priced at under $50. Pour a couple of ounces directly in a glass and slowly drink it. Decant the rest and let it aerate for at least 10 minutes. Pour another couple of ounces. Taste it. Should be a difference- even for an unsophisticated palate.

Like with the glassware, you should be doing this with good wine. Someone else mentioned avoiding supermarkets. I agree only because the top shelf wine selection will be limited (unless, perhaps, it is a California Safeway or smaller independent grocer in a major CA metro area).

As for BevMo vs Total Wine, IMO Total Wine has a better selection and more knowledgeable staff.

Thank you for the recommendations and suggestions but no thank you. Been there done that. Even for someone with an unsophisticated palate I just consider myself someone who just enjoys wine. I guess I'm not a wine enthusiast. Cheers!