What's your favorite wine? What's all the hype about?

ettaterrell

Agree. Beehive cheese company is approximately 10 miles east of my house and we buy from them directly. A lot of good cheeses along with a lot of other good and great products from the good ole' USA.

I had a phone conversation with one of the owners while he was making a reservation at the hotel. When I found out he was with Beehive, I mentioned how I really like their cheese. When he checked into the hotel, he ask for me - he brought me a nice insulated Beehive lunch bag with all different pieces of his cheese; if I had bought all of it, it would have been about $70!!! Barely Buzzed and Seahive are my faves. I'm hoping they bring back the cranberry curds for the holidays - a nice little nosh.

I had a phone conversation with one of the owners while he was making a reservation at the hotel. When I found out he was with Beehive, I mentioned how I really like their cheese. When he checked into the hotel, he ask for me - he brought me a nice insulated Beehive lunch bag with all different pieces of his cheese; if I had bought all of it, it would have been about $70!!! Barely Buzzed and Seahive are my faves. I'm hoping they bring back the cranberry curds for the holidays - a nice little nosh.

Now you've got me thinking I need to pay them a visit tomorrow, if it doesn't snow.

Sounds like some nice cheeses.:D

My apologies to the OP: I know you are looking for something simple and inexpensive for a foray into wine for you and your family. I'm not sure why some are offering something over what you want for your experience and price point. As I said before, I'm not a foodie nor a wine snob. Maybe I can offer something more "everyman" for you. I do like that you like the Hogue I offered - it is a nice little wine at a great price! For a red, I like Villa Antinori Toscano for my everyday red - it's within your price point, usually around $15. You did not mention anyone wanting of anyone wanting a white other than that Hogue: Give the Meomi Chardonnay a try if you want. It's also within that price point you want at around $15. This is the "house white" at my hotel and it's restaurant. I'm not a fan of Chardonnay. But, I received a bottle of this wine as a tip and I actually enjoyed it.

For your cheese & meat platter, you don't need to go all high-end gourmet and hit a salumeria. You can find plenty at the local supermarket deli counter. Find one that has Boar's Head - it's a steady line of meats. You can go basic - get your thinly sliced ham, beef, hard salami, cotto salami, mortadella, a stick of some dry salami. Get adventurous and get some prosciutto di Parma and prosciutto cotto (a nice italian roasted ham), speck, whatever sparks your interest. The deli counterperson will most likely be happy to let you sample different offerings.

For the cheese, you can grab from the cheese department at your store. Most of them nowadays have 2 sections - the "commodity" cheese and more special cheeses. Hit the special cheese section. I like to do a variety of soft, "medium" and hard cheese and a combination of cow, sheep, and maybe goat. I like Brie for my soft - always mild and everyone likes. I grab one or two cheddars - one plain medium or sharp and one "garnished" one (one of my local cheesemakers has cheddar coated in coffee grounds, one coated in sea salt, one in tea leaves, one in vanilla bean). Maybe a pepper jack or plain Jack for a nice mild one. For my harder cheese, I'm very fond of Manchego and Pecorino Toscano. If you want, add a "blue" cheese to the mix. Add some stuff to go along with the meats and cheeses, like olives, dried apricots, grapes, pear and apple slices, walnuts, almonds, whole-grain mustard, apricot or fig jam, some crackers, sliced baguettes. You're set to go!

If you want to wow the family, make your own ricotta! Easy to do, and so much different from that junk in the market!!! You can search and find easy recipes for it online - I use the recipe from Epicurious.com. This one I put on a cracker with a dab of jam. Once you do this, you'll never buy at the store again!!

Oh wow.... so much help thanks so much for taking the time to write this! I will try both the Chardonnay and your every day red!

And I am going to make that cheese this week to try!!!!! I will let u know how it goes (I love to cook). What jam do you suggest?

Also, we have a very large cheese section at our market... time for a sample or two lol

To who asked me where I'm from.. I'm from Mississippi USA. Small town! I was referring to 15-25$ per bottle. My budget doesn't allow for more than that. And thanks for the ideas I will look into them!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ettaterrell

Wow, I think SliderGirl has made some outstanding recommendations. Excellent job, SL.

I am going to add one idea.

Most grocery stores in my neighborhood sell packages of prosciutto or salami wrapped around mozzarella cheese. Costco offers a similar thing with different cured meats rolled around a slice of provolone cheese. These are excellent for people to grab and snack on and would seem to fit in your theme. Also, little work for you--open the package and lay them out on your platter.

We love this prosciutto wrapped motz! Great idea! Thanks!

An earlier poster mentioned Shropshire Blue. This is a UK cheese made in exactly the same way as Stilton, but with annatto added to give it a distinctive orange/yellow colour, but with no difference to the taste or creamy texture of the cheese.

So if you can't get Shropshire, buy some Stilton instead - excellent with any full bodied red, as well as Port.

I'll just chime in here on cheese (and Brie in particular). Look for the Brie that is near/at its sell-by date. It should be creamy throughout the slice. If it has a chalky looking middle it is not yet ripe.

All cheese should be let come to room temperature before serving. I do not know what possible varieties you have in US so I will not recommend any (I have heard some horror stories about US cheese though).

BTW - cheese snobbery is every bit as bad as wine snobbery;).

Oh wow great tip on Brie! I will look for the older one!

I have learned so much from everyone thank you all for taking the time to help me!

OK. What jams do I do when I have a cheese setup? I've done fig (a friend turned me on to this), apricot, and a locally-made raspberry/jalepeno jam. The raspberry one I use to add a dab on top of my homemade ricotta. I've seen some Major Grey's Chutney on a plate before, but I haven't done that.

My mom used to do an easy party thing of taking a block of cream cheese and pouring some Homade (that is the brand name - it comes in a round jar and you can find it at grocery stores & Walmart) Chili Sauce over it. So, I'm wondering if that would work with a dab on the Brie? Maybe I'll buy some and try it out.

Let us know how things turn out!!!

One thing on the Brie: do NOT heat/warm it up. That makes it runny and gooey. Just have it at room temperature - that way you can do an easy slice and place it on the cracker or baguette. If you aren't used to Brie, seeing an oozing mass of neutral colored stuff can be off-putting. Plus, it changes the flavor (IMHO). If you are serving the Brie alone as an appetizer, then there are recipes for heating/baking/warming to serve almost as a spread. To me, not the right way to do it as part of a selection of cheese.

Brie and Camembert are too delicate to heat. For this you need a washed rind cheese, spiked with garlic, thyme and a single spoonful of red wine before baking. I wouldn't serve it as part of a selection of cheeses but would serve it on its own with thin slices of French bread with pre-dinner drinks. It is delicious.

I can't say I have ever seen a jar of Quince Jam in my local store. The Pate selection is pretty poor - maybe one brand to choose if the store has it...

It is hard to know what is available everywhere. We also like a bread stick type product called 'twists'.

Brie and Camembert are too delicate to heat. For this you need a washed rind cheese, spiked with garlic, thyme and a single spoonful of red wine before baking. I wouldn't serve it as part of a selection of cheeses but would serve it on its own with thin slices of French bread with pre-dinner drinks. It is delicious.

Maybe it's an American thing, but there are Brie rounds set up and sold specifically for heating. Even someone further up the thread said to heat it up. Do a 'net search for "Baked Brie" and you will find many recipes for it.

I still like mine room temp and sliceable...

As for the pate, etc., the OP is looking for basics for the family. Baby steps - let them enjoy the simple pleasures of a basic meat & cheese platter with accessible entry-level wine that tastes good to them. They can up their game later. Nothing like putting out a spread of "exotic" items and have no one want to try them because they are strange and unfamiliar ;-)

Edited by slidergirl

Baked camembert (and deep-fried camembert) are fairly common starters (appetizer for the US) in Europe. Hell, we have a camembert baking dish in our kitchen cupboard (unused so far!)

(Note to self - must do baked camembert before Christmas)

Baked camembert (and deep-fried camembert) are fairly common starters (appetizer for the US) in Europe. Hell, we have a camembert baking dish in our kitchen cupboard (unused so far!)

(Note to self - must do baked camembert before Christmas)

LOL, most kitchens are filled with items for specific recipes that are rarely used. Let us know how it turns out.:D

LOL, most kitchens are filled with items for specific recipes that are rarely used. Let us know how it turns out.:D

To get back on thread (sort of) - I'm thinking riesling (we are not chardonnay fans) of which we have several, as we have a wine rack that needs 'relieving' before the big holiday to Aus.:D

BTW moules marinieres tonight with a decent pinot grigio - luverly!

Edited by SteveH2508

To get back on thread (sort of) - I'm thinking riesling (we are not chardonnay fans) of which we have several, as we have a wine rack that needs 'relieving' before the big holiday to Aus.:D

BTW moules marinieres tonight with a decent pinot grigio - luverly!

What about an Albarino ?

What about an Albarino ?

I shall have to rummage through the rack and the cases to see if we have that - I am not familiar with Albarino but I'm always up for trying new wines - noted for our next set of purchases.

A brief description would be nice?

I shall have to rummage through the rack and the cases to see if we have that - I am not familiar with Albarino but I'm always up for trying new wines - noted for our next set of purchases.

A brief description would be nice?

If a dry Riesling and a gewurtztraminer had a child it could be an Albariño :) It's got some floral qualities of a gewertz/Viognier but is pretty high in acid. Another grape I really like is Torrontes from Argentina

If a dry Riesling and a gewurtztraminer had a child it could be an Albariño :) It's got some floral qualities of a gewertz/Viognier but is pretty high in acid.

Riesling, gewurtz, viognier - you just ticked three of my boxes! Thanks - I shall look out for it.