What's your favorite wine? What's all the hype about?

ettaterrell

OK. I see you liked the Chateau St. Michelle. I'll give you another one to try: Hogue. It is another Washington State winery. You will usually find 2 different Rieslings from them, a Riesling and a late-harvest Riesling. the late-harvest will be a little sweeter, as the grapes were allowed to sit a little longer before being pulled from the vine. I like the Riesling - nice green apple taste to me, not too sweet, but not too dry. This is my "have in the refrigerator" bottle in the summertime - for me, it's an easy and good drink in the afternoon/evening.

And, for a beginner, the price point for both is pretty good - usually around $10/bottle.

I like Rieslings. There are so many styles of the wine to play with. The one Riesling that I cannot stand are those Alsatian ones. The gasoline smell/taste from the mineral content of the soil in the area just doesn't do it for me.

That isn't Alsace, it's Mosel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For those of you who know wines, we will be in BUENOS AIRES before our next cruise and we are allowed to bring wine on board (more than a bottle each on Oceania) so I'd like your suggestions about local wines. I've heard of Malbec. Do you recommend?

Also, our cruise ends in Chile. I would like to bring back a couple of nice bottles of Chilean wine. Any ideas there?

Thanks!

Agree. Here's another shocker I don't concern myself with. I own a Vivid Decanter and Aerating Funnel set. I might have used it a couple of times and could not taste the difference in the wine poured through the aerator and into the decanter first or directly from the bottle to the glass. Contrary to what I was led to believe at different wine tastings.

It may all be psychological but in my experience, these things have made a good wine better never worse. Also remember, nothing will help a bad wine.

It may all be psychological but in my experience, these things have made a good wine better never worse. Also remember, nothing will help a bad wine.

Are you assuming I'm drinking a bad wine? I don't need a special glass, aerator or decanter to realize that. Maybe some do! If it works for you, great!

Edited by davekathy

For those of you who know wines, we will be in BUENOS AIRES before our next cruise and we are allowed to bring wine on board (more than a bottle each on Oceania) so I'd like your suggestions about local wines. I've heard of Malbec. Do you recommend?

Also, our cruise ends in Chile. I would like to bring back a couple of nice bottles of Chilean wine. Any ideas there?

Thanks!

I am in no way an aficionado but I enjoy the Malbec a lighter red than a cabernet sauvignon but heavier than a merlot. I suggest you speak to the sommelier on board, they will certainly have a selection on offer.

Edited by MicCanberra

Since the average American is drinking 2 liters of Coke, Pepsi or some other high fructose corn syrup concoction daily, their chance of being able to appreciate a nice wine is about zero. Stick to your Bud Lights and save your money and frustration.

Edited by Cuervosar

Since the average American is drinking 2 liters of Coke, Pepsi or some other high fructose corn syrup concoction daily, their chance of being able to appreciate a nice wine is about zero. Stick to your Bud Lights and save your money and frustration.

Perhaps but maybe we are dealing with Americans that are not average but are extraordinary.

That isn't Alsace, it's Mosel.

Not in my experience at all. I drink quite a bit of Riesling from the Mosel River area, even did a weekend in Trier having fun at a wine festival. There is a clean, mineral finish to the Mosel Rieslings. I know there may be a bit of petrol, for me, the other flavors knock it out to where I do not notice it. The Rieslings I've had from the Alsace definitely have had that petrol nose - even the sommelier at the monthly cooking/wine classes I did at a local Forbes 5 star restaurant noted the petrol. Trimbach was one that I definitely remember.

But, hey, I'm not a wine snob nor a wine enthusiast. I just love to drink wine that I enjoy and am willing to try different wines when I travel. My wine glasses at home are 4 Riedel stemless, 2 white, 2 red - a gift from a friend...

To the OP: I'm glad that you liked that Hogue. Like I said, a nice, drinkable white at an excellent price point. If you like the straight Riesling, I wouldn't wast the time on the Late Harvest Reisling. Stick with this for awhile, then venture out into some German Rieslings, or if you have access, some of the New York product (my area does not get it very much at all).

Hey! Some of us Americans live in California where that 2 liters daily is wine (and the occasional Lagunitas IPA).

Thanks!

High altitude Mendoza Malbec, but it needs to sleep for a few or more years to be at it's peak. For your purposes, you will probably find little to no difference in current releases at any given price point range, particularly as you aren't already familiar with the varietal. You won't go wrong with Catena Zapata or Terrazes De Los Andes.

Not a fan of Chilean wine. I have yet to find anything worth carting home. And I probably wouldn't bother doing so if I could find it at home, Chilean wines aren't typically expensive enough in the US that the savings would be noticeable. Montes Folly and Erasmo are two of the better producers I have had.

I don't drink soda, and am not a fan of beer, either. In fact other than wine, my diet is organic and the majority of my sugar intake comes from fruit.

Speak for yourself as to not being able to enjoy fine wines.

Perhaps but maybe we are dealing with Americans that are not average but are extraordinary.

Just like all Aussies do nothing but wrestle crocodiles and drink massive quantities of Fosters, right?

High altitude Mendoza Malbec, but it needs to sleep for a few or more years to be at it's peak. For your purposes, you will probably find little to no difference in current releases at any given price point range, particularly as you aren't already familiar with the varietal. You won't go wrong with Catena Zapata or Terrazes De Los Andes.

Not a fan of Chilean wine. I have yet to find anything worth carting home. And I probably wouldn't bother doing so if I could find it at home, Chilean wines aren't typically expensive enough in the US that the savings would be noticeable. Montes Folly and Erasmo are two of the better producers I have had.

I agree with the Catena Malbec. For Chile, try

Arboleda Carmenere, COLCHAGUA VALLEY, CHILE

Average Price $ 17

Average Critic Score 87/100

It was a new varietal for me on my last trip down to Valpo. Then it turned up on Oceania's wine-by-the-glass menu and word must have traveled fast since the ship ran out of it midway through the cruise to Tahiti.

Thanks!

I'm not a high-class, highly-educated wine aficionado like some on this thread portend to be ;)

BUT, I have had some nice glasses of Malbec from the Altos Las Hormigas winery in Argentina (the Mendoza region - no idea if it is "high altitude" or "low altitude" :rolleyes:). One of my managers gave me a bottle for a Christmas present. Very nice and drinkable. I can't dazzle you with tasting notes or balance or how it compares to some Napa Valley Cab, but I can only say I enjoyed it enough to go to the State Store and hunt it down for another bottle. They usually have WE ratings in the 90s, if that makes a difference.

Swing and a miss!

Thanks!

One of the things I find help me picking a wine in a foreign country is understanding the label and knowing what I'm looking at. You're likely to be overwhelmed by choices that we never see here. Give wiki a read and try to understand the different grapes and regions. Don't worry, there's no test ;) but it might help when facing a wall of wine

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilean_wine

Edited by Cruise Junky

Just like all Aussies do nothing but wrestle crocodiles and drink massive quantities of Fosters, right?

LOL, :D

BTW, Fosters is really only exported and rarely available for purchase in Australia as no one here drinks it.

Just off to have a play with Old Sally (my 10 ft salty).:rolleyes:

One of the things I find help me picking a wine in a foreign country is understanding the label and knowing what I'm looking at. You're likely to be overwhelmed by choices that we never see here. Give wiki a read and try to understand the different grapes and regions. Don't worry, there's no test ;) but it might help when facing a wall of wine

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilean_wine

Only ever had one wine I absolutely hated and couldn't drink, it was from that famous wine region in England :rolleyes: (that should have been a clue). It was a total waste of 5 pounds (another clue) and it almost clogged the sink. :(

Only ever had one wine I absolutely hated and couldn't drink, it was from that famous wine region in England :rolleyes: (that should have been a clue). It was a total waste of 5 pounds (another clue) and it almost clogged the sink. :(

First..hi. How's the grand kid? Second...LOL. Yeah, you had a couple of clues there ;) and I will attest to the fosters statement. Three weeks and I swear I did not see one can of fosters.

I am guessing that it was labelled as British wine rather than English wine.

British wine is made from grape must from anywhere (so it's the cheapest, sh*ttiest stuff). English wine is made from purely English grapes (usually single vineyard) (and is no way available for £5 per bottle!).

English sparkling wine regularly beats the top French champagne houses in blind tastings BTW.

First..hi. How's the grand kid? Second...LOL. Yeah, you had a couple of clues there ;) and I will attest to the fosters statement. Three weeks and I swear I did not see one can of fosters.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Going great, Philippa is 6 months old now and growing like a weed, she is 9.25 kgs already, quite tall as well, can stand with support but not crawling as yet.:D