What's your favorite wine? What's all the hype about?

ettaterrell

Before dinner, during dinner and after dinner? I am not a wine drinker but would love to be. I have tried a few but nothing yet has been "wow I see why Someone would like this". Do you drink different ones threw out a meal or just stick to your favorite?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Before dinner, during dinner and after dinner?....

Yes...before and during dinner, usually not after. Most wine drinkers that we know started out drinking white wines, then gradually came to appreciate red wines. Drier, more complex and robust wines are usually an acquired taste. (Many of us started out in the 60's & 70's with sweet wines such as "Annie Green Springs" or cheap jug wines such as Gallo Hearty Burgundy!) If you have no idea what you might like, watch for wine tastings onboard - almost all ships have them. You might pay $25 or so, but they will give you a sampling of 5 or 6 different wines and you will start the learning process.

If you find you are really interested and want to learn more, look for wine clubs in your home area. Our little community has a group of 7 wine clubs, each with about 40 members, who meet monthly and take turns hosting and choosing/presenting wines. Everyone pays about $10-$12 per event to cover the cost of the wines and brings a hearty appetizer, so it's a great social experience as well as an opportunity to learn & enjoy different wines.

Edited by Kartgv

I get a buzz way too fast with wine.....so when I'm home, I'll drink it while I cook dinner...after dinner, I'm done with drinking!

If I have a long day of partying, I stick to beer...I can drink beer all day long and maintain my buzz without it getting out of hand!

If I'm going out to eat, and there's nothing else AFTER dinner, I'll do several vodka tonics...refreshing, but not suitable for an "all day" thing!

All that said, I never "mix" drinks....what I start with, I stick with! No hangover!

Wine is WAY overpriced on ships...and I mean to the point of gouging......try different wines at home, to find what you like....and know that a "good" wine is one you like...being expensive doesn't necessarily make it "good"!

Edited by cb at sea

Before dinner, during dinner and after dinner? I am not a wine drinker but would love to be. I have tried a few but nothing yet has been "wow I see why Someone would like this". Do you drink different ones threw out a meal or just stick to your favorite?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My suggestion would be to start with education. Get a decent wine book out of your local library and read about the process, grapes, etc. Also take the time to visit wineries, take the tours, listen, and taste. DW and I consider ourselves Oenophiles (wine lovers) and hardly ever have dinner without at least 1 glass of wine. At home we will match the wine to the food..based on our own preferences. But on a ship, given the limited selection and pricing...we generally just try to find drinkable wines at a reasonable price. We still try to basically match wines to food, but that is a bit difficult on a ship if one wants to keep to a reasonable budget.

Hank

I started with a very sweet wine at a winery. I'm thinking it was a blueberry wine. Then a friend gave me a sparkling pink moscato from the liquor store and I loved it. I have grown to love Pinot Grigio and I like Chardonnay at times. I can drink some reds but prefer white. I'm not a fan of room temp drinks and that may be why I still favor white. Start with sweet is my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, I also recommend wine tastings. We attended one on a ship and the wine steward explained the wine, grapes and region. Many were blends.

He also explained what foods go with wine. Food can definitely impact the taste and enhance the flavor of the wine.

He recommended fruit with some wines and cheese with others. It was very interesting.

I have grown to really like dry reds, Pinot Noir is now my favorite.

I live in the "wine country". I can mention where I'm from just about anywhere and someone will recognize it. I also always check out menus when I travel. It's not unusual to see wine from our region featured.

Having said that, I hate wine. I can't tell you the number of times I have to correct someone who said "oh, you don't drink" when what I said was "I don't drink wine." LOL, I guess it's easier to believe I completely abstain rather than just don't drink wine.

But, here's thing. I have also been told that education is the key. And I believe this to be true. I don't care to learn, I see no reason to. But I totally agree that a class or wine club would put you on the right track. We have many around here, of course. Also, if you go to a winery tasting room the people there could help you find something you like. I have a couple friends who work at tasting rooms and know a couple of wine makers. They are very proud of their product and always more than happy to help.

I remember the first time I drank a good mid-price ($40-50) wine.* It was like a light went on - "Ah, this is what it's about!"

On my first cruise I studied the wine list with an eye toward the pricy French Pauillacs and Chateaneufs-du-Pape. I carry the allowed quantity of wine onto the ship with me (on Cunard I carry on wine but I've never tried to hit their limit since there doesn't seem to be one) and I aim for a good quality of what would be a fairly expensive wine onboard so the added corkage still makes it a good deal.

I don't drink much wine except when I'm on a cruise. Wine Spectator has a ratings app that you can subscribe to the ratings database for about $3.00 a month and just for a month or two.

*Stag's Leap "Artemis"

I live in the "wine country". I can mention where I'm from just about anywhere and someone will recognize it. I also always check out menus when I travel. It's not unusual to see wine from our region featured.

Having said that, I hate wine. I can't tell you the number of times I have to correct someone who said "oh, you don't drink" when what I said was "I don't drink wine." LOL, I guess it's easier to believe I completely abstain rather than just don't drink wine.

But, here's the thing. I have also been told that education is the key. And I believe this to be true. I don't care to learn, I see no reason to. But I totally agree that a class or wine club would put you on the right track. We have many around here, of course. Also, if you go to a winery tasting room the people there could help you find something you like. I have a couple friends who work at tasting rooms and know a couple of wine makers. They are very proud of their product and always more than happy to help.

Edited by Blondilu
to correct

Our favourite wine depends on the food.

For me - with duck it is a Gewurtztraminer (also excellent with French cheeses such as Reblochon)

Roast beef/lamb probably a Barolo or a Chateauneuf du Pape.

Having said that - drinking wine on board ship is more about finding value in the exorbitantly priced offerings. We usually find that there is an acceptable Cote du Rhone or Chianti for the reds. Whites are bit more tricky. Sauvignon Blanc is usually non controversial - Riesling can be got reasonably priced. Strangely, Gewurtztraminer is often not badly priced (I suspect it is not a mainstream choice).

I have found on the US lines that the European wines are often better priced than their US equivalents. I recall finding Mouton Cadet for about $20 a bottle on one ship - we filled our boots!

BTW - we neither of us drink US wines (and DW is US by birth) - they do not provide the value for money that the European wines do in our opinion.

Having said that, we have started trying some of the South American wines - there are some crackers in there.

Basically, you need to try, try, try and then note what you like and what you are prepared to pay for it.

Edited by SteveH2508

For most beginning wine drinkers, White Zinfandel (such as Sutter Home White Zinfandel) is the gateway wine that is easiest to start with. Another good one is V. Sattui's Gamay Rouge (available for purchase online at http://www.vsattui.com. The thing about wine is you develop a palate for it over time. Some people drink only white wine, some people drink only red wine and others people drink all kinds of wine depending on what they are eating. Right now, we are in the golden age of wine. It is better than it has been since the start of human history. Did you know that after the fall of the Roman Empire humans lost the knowledge of how to store wine until the late 1700's in France when methods for storing wine were rediscovered right at the time of the French Revolution. During that time, all the shapes of bottles were defined by the French, stemmed wine glasses came into existence and the ability to store wine came back to mankind. However, not all wines are meant to be cellared and many are designed to be drunk young, especially white and rose wines.

Wine came to the United States through Thomas Jefferson when he was serving as the American Ambassador in France. He brought back French wine grape root stock and it was his recommendation to George Washington that wine be served at State Dinners like it was in France. Descendant vines of this root stock was later used to save the French wine industry when they suffered a terrible phylloxera epidemic that destroyed nearly all the vines in France.

Here's some good information on food and wine pairings:

http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/15-rules-great-wine-and-food-pairings

What you will find is that food actually bends the way the wine tastes. Champagne that tastes very sharp when drunk alone, sipped after something salty such as caviar, suddenly becomes sweet and refreshing.

We have wine with dinner every night at home, and have our favorites.

Shipboard wines are universally obscenely overpriced. We just try to find a decent generic when we board - by the glass - then go for bottles once we find something acceptable. I generally find a fair Merlot or Shiraz, while my wife picks a Pinot Grigio or Sauterne.

My suggestion would be to start with education. Get a decent wine book out of your local library and read about the process, grapes, etc. Also take the time to visit wineries, take the tours, listen, and taste....

....Basically, you need to try, try, try and then note what you like and what you are prepared to pay for it.

Two very important suggestions: Educate yourself, and through trying various styles and brands, determine what you like. The experts can guide you but in the end is will be what you like and what you want to pay.

The good thing with learning about wine is that it's a lot more fun than learning about algebra!:D

Edited by DirtyDawg

agree that most folks will start with a sweeter white - typically served chilled while finding the "better" reds too over powering. We especially like German choices like Riesling Piesporter and Liebfraumilch still to this day ... quite sweet and best COLD

As the white wine drinker moves to dryer whites they will begin to experiment with lighter reds and as mentioned white zinfandel (looks pink) is a typical bridge and then they discover that 'real' zin is red so they experiment.

This is actually an excellent time of the year to dabble in a light fruity red. Each year the first red wine produced from the Gamay grape in the Beaujolais region of France is anxiously anticipated as a teller of what the year's product will be .. good or great! It is called Beaujolais Nouveau and released for sale on the third Thursday of November after just a few weeks of fermenting. In years past there were RACES to be the first stores in the US with the years Nouveau. Today's marketing and air shipment means it will be widely available on the 18th. It is a fruity and light red ... and for many in US a Thanksgiving tradition. It is intended to be opened and enjoyed NOW ... not stored and aged. It is not terrible expensive. If you enjoy it you can find other Beaujolais wines all year and they too are lighter and not expensive as compared to many other French reds ... on our last Cunard crossing we had Beau' most nights ..... the price was quite reasonable as compared to many other choices on the wine list.

p.s. if all you have ever had is 'cheap' and/or American Champaign ... splurge one time and try a good one ... a REAL French one. We're always happy with Mumm Cordon Rouge, but be sure you get French Mumms as the label also has California wines .... and you can't ever go wrong with Bollinger

is there a Total Wine near you? They do tastings and classes all the time.

when you learn to love/appreciate wine, or if you already do ... consider a pre-cruise trip to Tampa and Bern's Steakhouse. Not only a great steakhouse routinely in the US top 10 list, but also home to the US's and probably the worlds largest restaurant wine list/cellar: " Today, our cellar contains more than 6,800 different selections with more than half a million bottles." When you dine all you have to do is ask and they will take you into the true wine cellar below the dining rooms and kitchen, altho much of the collection is in off site warehouses. Don't be scared away, I've had a GREAT $30 bottle here ... but you can spend THOUSANDS if you wish!

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/Berns-Wine-Cellar

Edited by Capt_BJ

I wouldn't necessarily agree that one must start with sweet wines. I'm not a big fan of these and if I'd had to start with drinking them, I'd probably never have gotten an appreciation for wine at all. (I still don't like sweet wines and not a big fan of any type of sweet drinks...)

Best suggestions are to find a class or get some education. Even browsing good wine stores should help you learn (and there is usually knowledgeable staff to help you out).

OP: it would help to know where you live since it could significantly affect where you are best able to learn about wine and find/afford the best suppliers to meet your needs/means/preferences.

In our case, one of the terrific things about living on the north shore of SF Bay is our easy access to some of the world's finest viticulture. That's the good news. The (not so) bad news is that we've each spent more than forty years learning about and understanding what it means to be as close to oenophiles as we will ever get.

At the bottom line, we know what varietals we like and what characteristics best typify them. After searches over many years, we now rely primarily on several wineries in Sonoma and Mendocino counties for the bulk of our home purchases (which consist mostly of limited release wines unlikely to be found in stores). Not all of them are pricey but what we select (primarily Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays) are oenological exemplars and without many equals elsewhere in the world.

We've also tried many foreign wines in our travels and although there have been occasionally stellar and value laden offerings ( e.g., in Portugal, New Zealand and Chile [interestingly the upside down latitude and environment of NorCal flush with winemakers schooled at Fresno State and UC Davis]), we've found foreign offerings to be very inconsistent in quality.

Since our preferred line is Oceania, we bring as much wine onboard as we can comfortably cart. Yet, we'll still do a liquor package and have been able to identify a handful of drinkable (though unremarkable) offerings. Because of the terrible price structure and lackluster wine list, we almost never buy bottles onboard. And, sadly, the wine stewards (for the most part) really know very little about wine.

One suggestion for you is to look for wine festivals focused on a single varietal where you can taste and learn about a single varietal. For example, as part of the annual Winesong weekend in Mendocino, there is an optional Friday afternoon tasting of regional (Mendo) Pinot Noirs. It's this kind of wine tasting that will help you to begin seeing what the differences are all about.

Also, if you ever make it to our neck if the woods, make wine tasting a primary objective of your trip.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that one must start with sweet wines. .

Oh, I'm with you ... I just agreed that MOST start this way. I first loved hard core Bordeaux , (reds) and later learned a taste for whites .... not what most wine folks would call typical. St Emilion was what hooked me first, then Merlot, and a nice Cab and Merlot blend from Chile. THEN we discovered a place in Miami where a dinner salad, a bowl of conch chowder (so thick it was like chili) and an ice cold bottle of a German white was perfect on top of the Jazz Trio playing live: sax, base and vibes ... it don't get no better ..... (Monty's in the Grove circa 1984)

I usually only have wine during and after dinner gatherings. I believe a good wine enhances good food and vice versa. I find on North American cruise lines the French and Italian wines are the best value. The European lines seem to mark their wines up reasonably as I've purchased some Amarone at cdn store prices.

I am by no means an Oenophile, I just love wine.

My first foray into something other than the big red jug from college: at a business dinner with my boss and 5 others at the Red Fox in Detroit (where Jimmy Hoffa was last seen). He ordered bottles for everyone for what they were having as the entree. He gave me a Pouilly-Fuisse to go with my Dover sole...

I have wines that I like to keep in the fridge or kitchen counter just in case I want a glass - the white is Hogue Riesling (a great $10 bottle with a good green apple taste) and currently Santa Christiana Toscana (a decent under $20 red). The Hogue is my favorite summer white.

I had a guest give me a bottle of Meiomi Chard a a couple of months ago as a tip. I'm not a fan of Chard - lived through the "big buttery oaky" days and just burned out on it. But, this was surprisingly decent - it is the house white at the hotel. bits of fruit and desserts came out of it taste-wise.

If I feel a little splurgy in the summer, I'll go for a Mosel Riesling. Lucky enough to hit Trier one weekend when they were having a winefest in the Old Town. Then, took the river cruise down to Bernkastel past all those lovely riverside vineyards. I like them just a little less dry - the Spatlese appeal to me.

I love Italian reds, probably my fave. I do like Toscanas - the red blends - as easy on the pocketbook. Someone did spoil me for life with a fine bottle of Brunello and I was hooked. Problem is, I can't afford it. I was pleasantly surprised when Emma Pizzeria in Rome had a nice Brunello by the glass!!!

Back in the 80s/90s, I was a fan of big Zins. Loved that blackberry to hit my mouth! My faves were from Grgich Hills (had a great wine dinner with Mike Grgich in LA once) and Ridge. For some reason, I just fell out of love with them. Probably because that was when I discovered Italian reds...

For something totally different, try some ice wine from Canada! It's definitely an after dinner sipping wine. I had one Inniskillin Vidal with a friend after a cheese tasting - we paid $45/glass for that one and it was totally worth it!!!

See if your area has some wine classes. Even some restaurants will have wine events. Try them out. Don't be afraid to try different types of wines - and a low price does not mean it's not going to taste good to YOU...

agree that most folks will start with a sweeter white - typically served chilled while finding the "better" reds too over powering. We especially like German choices like Riesling Piesporter and Liebfraumilch still to this day ... quite sweet and best COLD

As the white wine drinker moves to dryer whites they will begin to experiment with lighter reds and as mentioned white zinfandel (looks pink) is a typical bridge and then they discover that 'real' zin is red so they experiment.

This is actually an excellent time of the year to dabble in a light fruity red. Each year the first red wine produced from the Gamay grape in the Beaujolais region of France is anxiously anticipated as a teller of what the year's product will be .. good or great! It is called Beaujolais Nouveau and released for sale on the third Thursday of November after just a few weeks of fermenting. In years past there were RACES to be the first stores in the US with the years Nouveau. Today's marketing and air shipment means it will be widely available on the 18th. It is a fruity and light red ... and for many in US a Thanksgiving tradition. It is intended to be opened and enjoyed NOW ... not stored and aged. It is not terrible expensive. If you enjoy it you can find other Beaujolais wines all year and they too are lighter and not expensive as compared to many other French reds ... on our last Cunard crossing we had Beau' most nights ..... the price was quite reasonable as compared to many other choices on the wine list.

p.s. if all you have ever had is 'cheap' and/or American Champaign ... splurge one time and try a good one ... a REAL French one. We're always happy with Mumm Cordon Rouge, but be sure you get French Mumms as the label also has California wines .... and you can't ever go wrong with Bollinger

is there a Total Wine near you? They do tastings and classes all the time.

when you learn to love/appreciate wine, or if you already do ... consider a pre-cruise trip to Tampa and Bern's Steakhouse. Not only a great steakhouse routinely in the US top 10 list, but also home to the US's and probably the worlds largest restaurant wine list/cellar: " Today, our cellar contains more than 6,800 different selections with more than half a million bottles." When you dine all you have to do is ask and they will take you into the true wine cellar below the dining rooms and kitchen, altho much of the collection is in off site warehouses. Don't be scared away, I've had a GREAT $30 bottle here ... but you can spend THOUSANDS if you wish!

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/Berns-Wine-Cellar

Most wine producing countries have inexpensive "rot gut" sparkling wine (even France). Suggesting that all American "champagne" is "less than..." is an unfounded assumption. Firstly, there is no "champagne" produced in the US (at least - not in California). We do, however produce sparkling wines using traditional methods (often based on European rootstock) and many of the better reserve/limited production offerings easily compare (perhaps even surpass) to those you cite, and do so at a far better price point.

Have you ever tried reserve/library sparklers from wineries like Shramsberg and Roderer here in NorCal? And, if price is an issue, even Gloria Ferrer and California's Mumm and Chandon brands have sparklers worth trying.

BTW, "Champaign" is a city in Illinois - not a wine style or geographic appellation.

I am by no means an Oenophile, I just love wine.

My first foray into something other than the big red jug from college: at a business dinner with my boss and 5 others at the Red Fox in Detroit (where Jimmy Hoffa was last seen). He ordered bottles for everyone for what they were having as the entree. He gave me a Pouilly-Fuisse to go with my Dover sole...

I have wines that I like to keep in the fridge or kitchen counter just in case I want a glass - the white is Hogue Riesling (a great $10 bottle with a good green apple taste) and currently Santa Christiana Toscana (a decent under $20 red). The Hogue is my favorite summer white.

I had a guest give me a bottle of Meiomi Chard a a couple of months ago as a tip. I'm not a fan of Chard - lived through the "big buttery oaky" days and just burned out on it. But, this was surprisingly decent - it is the house white at the hotel. bits of fruit and desserts came out of it taste-wise.

If I feel a little splurgy in the summer, I'll go for a Mosel Riesling. Lucky enough to hit Trier one weekend when they were having a winefest in the Old Town. Then, took the river cruise down to Bernkastel past all those lovely riverside vineyards. I like them just a little less dry - the Spatlese appeal to me.

I love Italian reds, probably my fave. I do like Toscanas - the red blends - as easy on the pocketbook. Someone did spoil me for life with a fine bottle of Brunello and I was hooked. Problem is, I can't afford it. I was pleasantly surprised when Emma Pizzeria in Rome had a nice Brunello by the glass!!!

Back in the 80s/90s, I was a fan of big Zins. Loved that blackberry to hit my mouth! My faves were from Grgich Hills (had a great wine dinner with Mike Grgich in LA once) and Ridge. For some reason, I just fell out of love with them. Probably because that was when I discovered Italian reds...

For something totally different, try some ice wine from Canada! It's definitely an after dinner sipping wine. I had one Inniskillin Vidal with a friend after a cheese tasting - we paid $45/glass for that one and it was totally worth it!!!

See if your area has some wine classes. Even some restaurants will have wine events. Try them out. Don't be afraid to try different types of wines - and a low price does not mean it's not going to taste good to YOU...

Ice wine is an acquired taste (that has, to date, escaped me - I'd prefer a good white Porto). It's also well made in upstate New York where, despite being the largest US wine producing state outside of California, the only truly outstanding world class wines (IMO) are Rieslings and some other Germanics.

You definitely should try different varieties, but I don't think you need to "educate yourself" like it's a project. Just be adventurous, and make note of the things you like. I personally lean towards cotes du rhones, pinot noirs, and shiraz -- but a straight shiraz is often a little heavy for me, so I end up choosing a shiraz/cabernet mix more and more. Sadly, good cotes du rhones and pinot noirs can be hard to find at anything that I consider a reasonable price ($20-$30/bottle).....but "good" is a matter of personal taste, not measured against an objective scale.

I used to sip at white wine because it was in fashion, but I never really liked them......so I tried reds, and I do like them much more. Still, I'm not a huge wine fan and actually prefer cocktails to wine at any time other than with dinner (i.e. if I drink before or after). Wine seems to mix better with food (flavour wise) than my preferred cocktails.

OP: it would help to know where you live since it could significantly affect where you are best able to learn about wine and find/afford the best suppliers to meet your needs/means/preferences.

In our case, one of the terrific things about living on the north shore of SF Bay is our easy access to some of the world's finest viticulture. That's the good news. The (not so) bad news is that we've each spent more than forty years learning about and understanding what it means to be as close to oenophiles as we will ever get.

At the bottom line, we know what varietals we like and what characteristics best typify them. After searches over many years, we now rely primarily on several wineries in Sonoma and Mendocino counties for the bulk of our home purchases (which consist mostly of limited release wines unlikely to be found in stores). Not all of them are pricey but what we select (primarily Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays) are oenological exemplars and without many equals elsewhere in the world.

We've also tried many foreign wines in our travels and although there have been occasionally stellar and value laden offerings ( e.g., in Portugal, New Zealand and Chile [interestingly the upside down latitude and environment of NorCal flush with winemakers schooled at Fresno State and UC Davis]), we've found foreign offerings to be very inconsistent in quality.

Since our preferred line is Oceania, we bring as much wine onboard as we can comfortably cart. Yet, we'll still do a liquor package and have been able to identify a handful of drinkable (though unremarkable) offerings. Because of the terrible price structure and lackluster wine list, we almost never buy bottles onboard. And, sadly, the wine stewards (for the most part) really know very little about wine.

One suggestion for you is to look for wine festivals focused on a single varietal where you can taste and learn about a single varietal. For example, as part of the annual Winesong weekend in Mendocino, there is an optional Friday afternoon tasting of regional (Mendo) Pinot Noirs. It's this kind of wine tasting that will help you to begin seeing what the differences are all about.

Also, if you ever make it to our neck if the woods, make wine tasting a primary objective of your trip.

Flatbush Flyer, you mention Sonoma County and I'm just curious if you've been to Frick Winery there. If not, I have to recommend it.

OP, I hope you enjoy your intro to wine exploration!

As a wine lover we find the posts fascinating and even enlightening. I especially find it interesting when folks say they have found one wine or grape...and stick with it. So the shocker is that there are over 10,000 (not an exaggeration) types of wine grapes in the world. And when you consider combinations, there is virtually an unlimited number of possibilities. Wine lovers really enjoy learning about new varietals, and combinations and giving them a taste. Perhaps it is like cruise lines where some folks cruise upon a single line, and others of us enjoy variety :). Enjoying and learning about wines is a lifetime obsession with some of us and is a lot of fun. We still talk about discovering a new wine grape (for us) on the island of Korcula called "Grk." We brought 2 bottles back to the ship and enjoyed one at dinner, and gave the other to the Master Sommelier on the ship to share with his staff (none of who had ever tasted this grape). Years later we still remember that wine, which we first tasted on a 62 day cruise...and it is about all we remember from the lengthy cruise :). For some folks wine is just a drink to have with food. For others it can become a lifelong passion. But we think the key to wine is simply to enjoy and have fun!

As to the sweet wine thing, when I first met DW she had only tried sweet wines such as Pink Zins. Now, the drier the wine the more she likes it. Palates do change over time which is more of the fun. And by the way, Zinfandel is a fabulous grape...when it is turned into a lovely spicy red wine. That is totally different then the sweet Pink Zins...which are generally made from inferior grapes. We think there are some fantastic sweet wines (some Sauternes and Canadian Ice Wines rise to this level) but Pink Zin is not one of them :).

Hank

P.S. Could not write a post about wines without starting a Pink Zin controversy :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner