Looking to Try Princess....any friendly advice?

Lois R

Hi Lois

If you pick the Ruby the showers in balcony and lower cabins are very tiny, so the shower/tub combo is a definite advantage for the mini suite. If you pick the Regal the showers are much larger with a ledge for shaving and storage in all categories.

Regal and Royal are my favorite Princess ships but would definately sail the Ruby again for a desired itinerary.

Have fun choosing! I'm patiently waiting for December 1st when both Princess and X will release some of 18/19. We sail both:)

Beth

One of my favorite features about the Princess ships (R & R excluded) are the promenade decks that go most of the way around, and then up a flight of stairs to deck 8, where you are on the bow. Yes, very windy, but fabulous views. They do close off the stairs at night. I spend hours on the promenade with my binoculars.

But they are directly above the designated outdoor smoking area. Buyer beware.

We have been in starboard Emerald deck minis above Club Fusion on more than half a dozen cruises (and port side on another handful) and have never been bothered by smoke! Are you sure that is the designated smoking area? There is no outdoor area directly below those minis other than the promenade - and it is a narrow section as it loops around Club Fusion.

Lois, I remember many years ago when you posted on the Celebrity board, getting ready for your FIRST cruise on Celebrity and I believe it was your 1st cruise? You would remember me as "Z" :)

Now here you are on the Princess board.

I find the two lines more alike then not. We have a cruise booked for April on the Silhouette and it will be our first S class experience.

Are you looking for port intensive, or sea days?

Our cruise on the Royal was just wonderful. 10 days repo from NY to FLL, over Halloween. 3 port days and the rest at sea.

The Royal and Regal are stunning ships. There is no need to eat at a specialty, if you prefer, as the food in the MDR and Buffet is very good.

The drawback on these two ships is that only insides and balconies are offered. No outside cabins and you will see a price jump between the two.

Whatever you decide, Princess will not disappoint you.

Lois, I remember many years ago when you posted on the Celebrity board, getting ready for your FIRST cruise on Celebrity and I believe it was your 1st cruise? You would remember me as "Z" :)

Now here you are on the Princess board.

I find the two lines more alike then not. We have a cruise booked for April on the Silhouette and it will be our first S class experience.

Are you looking for port intensive, or sea days?

Our cruise on the Royal was just wonderful. 10 days repo from NY to FLL, over Halloween. 3 port days and the rest at sea.

The Royal and Regal are stunning ships. There is no need to eat at a specialty, if you prefer, as the food in the MDR and Buffet is very good.

The drawback on these two ships is that only insides and balconies are offered. No outside cabins and you will see a price jump between the two.

Whatever you decide, Princess will not disappoint you.

Hello there:)..yes, I remember you...actually your screen name started with a Z...right? It was longer though...but I can't remember the entire

word;)....anyway, good to see you and thanks for the reply.

Your questions are good ones and I think part of me wants to just try

something new on the ocean cruises.....I took a River Cruise back in

April and that was FANTASTIC:D......I went on Royal last month and

it was ok. I will be honest, I keep waffling back and forth.......

And at least now I have a better idea of what Princess offers.

Oh...one more thing.....we have both been on Cruise Critic for alot of years and that first cruise on CENTURY set me up as

a "lifetime cruiser"......doing a land trip doesn't really apply anymore LOL:)

Edited by Lois R

Hello.....after many years of sailing Celebrity, this year brought me

elsewhere. I took my first River Cruise out of Amsterdam (FABULOUS:D)

and I went to New England on Royal. Now 2017 is nearing and I have

NOTHING booked:eek:

I am looking at Ruby Princess in February to the Mexican Riviera. I have

done this itinerary before (quite a few years ago)....any tips on the ship,

food etc would be really helpful. I am a regular cruiser so I do know

the ins and outs of cruising but wondering more specifically about

Princess. I have over 40 cruises with Celebrity so this will be new to

me. Oh, I am thinking of either 1) regular balcony or 2) Mini Suite.

Thanks for the replies:)

We've sailed Princess exclusively, since 2008, for our last 10 cruises. I think Princess offers a great mass market cruise for a competitive price. Since nearly all of their ships have pretty much the same layout you'll never have a problem finding your way around. As others have stated, if you like pizza, Princess serves the best at sea bar none. Crooners is also a favorite of mine as a great place to socialize and to enjoy some great adult beverages.

While we always to book an aft view suite, we've also sailed in mini suites. If I were in your position, it would be a no brainer to choose a mini suite. If you are somewhat strategic about your choice, you could end up with a larger or fully covered balcony (non Royal/Regal). Speaking about the Royal/Regal, if balcony size is important to you, you have to be more strategic in choosing as a majority of balconies are rather small.

Whatever you end up choosing, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic cruise.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Hi Lois -- I was on Silhouette for a New Year's cruise a couple of years ago, and this year I will be on Regal Princess. I expect to find a lot of similarities, although it's my first time on this new Princess class. (However, I've sailed many times on the older Princess ships.)

On the ship you're considering, I also recommend the mini suites on Emerald deck if you like a covered balcony. If you decide to go with a regular balcony, the Caribe deck balconies cannot be beat -- large, and half-covered/half-open. In fact, I almost like them more than a mini-suite and if cruising solo that's probably what I would book...

Whatever you decide to do, wishing you the best this holiday season.

Hello there:)..yes, I remember you...actually your screen name started with a Z...right? It was longer though...but I can't remember the entire

word;)....anyway, good to see you and thanks for the reply.

Your questions are good ones and I think part of me wants to just try

something new on the ocean cruises.....I took a River Cruise back in

April and that was FANTASTIC:D......I went on Royal last month and

it was ok. I will be honest, I keep waffling back and forth.......

And at least now I have a better idea of what Princess offers.

Oh...one more thing.....we have both been on Cruise Critic for alot of years and that first cruise on CENTURY set me up as

Zurmolly, before a computer issue forced me to re-register.

Yes, I remember now, the Century, as it was also our first. Such a great ship.

Certainly got us "hooked" :)

Edited by janetz

Hello there:)

Hi Lois, My first ever cruise was on Celebrity Century and is what hooked me on cruising. I remember you being on that roll call, 2005/2006? Later that same year, travelling solo, I joined a group of ladies who were sailing the Caribbean on the Sun Princess. The rest is history. Except for one transatlantic cruise on Royal Caribbean, I have been a loyal Princess cruiser.

I have sailed on the Ruby Princess twice, both transatlantic cruises. She is a lovely ship! I would advise against a minisuite if a Caribe balcony cabin is available. The balconies are huge! This class of ship is ideally suited to warm weather cruises. There are four totally separated pool areas, two of the smaller ones at the bow and stern adults only. Of the larger two pool areas, one has the HD MUTS screen, the other party music/games etc.

So, my Princess story continues when the Royal Princess was launched in 2013 and I booked the maiden transatlantic. Wow! I was in an inside cabin that time but was still wowed. In 2014, I sailed her again on repositioning from NY to FLL, this time in a deluxe balcony. Now I am hooked on balconies! Next up is a 28 day cruise in April 2017 on the Royal Princess from FLL to Rome! Although most balconies on the Royal and Regal are small, if you check the deck plans, you will find some balconies that are much larger.

Whatever you decide, I think you will enjoy Princess.

Also:

If you own 100 shares of CCL stock, you receive varying amounts of OBC. Most sources of OBC are combinable on Princess Cruises.

The Horizon buffet on the Regal/Royal is nothing short of amazing! The no surcharge Alfredo's casual Italian restaurant is not to be missed.

On the Ruby, there is a free sauna and steam room in the spa. Not so on the Royal/Regal Princess.

me. Oh, I am thinking of either 1) regular balcony or 2) Mini Suite.

The last time we sailed the Ruby it was on an Eastern Caribbean run out of Ft. L. It is a beautiful ship, and the last of the Grand/Crown class, having been superseded by the Royal Class ships. I see that they have moved the Ruby to the Pacific fleet.

The Ruby is a very different ship than the Regal, smaller, but still a mega-ship, and with a few less dining venues and features than the Regal. The Piazza will be about half the foot print as on the Regal. The configuration of the pools is a bit more "classic" Princess, with one forward pool attached to the spa/Sanctuary, two mid-ship pools and an aft terrace pool, that overlooks the wake. You won't find any Seawalks or evening light shows at the midship pool, but you will find similar service and food as you experienced on the Royal. If you want to know what Princess was about 5 years ago prior to the Royal class ships, this is the way to experience it.

If you can swing a mini-suite, do so. The Club Class mini-suites are a nice touch because they provide some suite benefits to the suite name they contain. The last time we booked a mini was a little over 5 years ago and the benefit of booking a mini at the time was the extended cabin length with the extra sitting area and a fairly nice sized balcony. Aside from that the minis were all about extra space and not much else.

The Caribbean cruise on the Ruby, we booked a suite, D737, and that was super nice, especially some of the additional perks, the bar setup, the huge bathroom and all the space. Once you go full suite, it is hard to go back to standard accommodations.

In short, if you liked the Royal, you'll like the rest of the fleet. It will be different, but not in a bad way.

The last time we sailed the Ruby it was on an Eastern Caribbean run out of Ft. L. It is a beautiful ship, and the last of the Grand/Crown class, having been superseded by the Royal Class ships. I see that they have moved the Ruby to the Pacific fleet.

The Ruby is a very different ship than the Regal, smaller, but still a mega-ship, and with a few less dining venues and features than the Regal. The Piazza will be about half the foot print as on the Regal. The configuration of the pools is a bit more "classic" Princess, with one forward pool attached to the spa/Sanctuary, two mid-ship pools and an aft terrace pool, that overlooks the wake. You won't find any Seawalks or evening light shows at the midship pool, but you will find similar service and food as you experienced on the Royal. If you want to know what Princess was about 5 years ago prior to the Royal class ships, this is the way to experience it.

If you can swing a mini-suite, do so. The Club Class mini-suites are a nice touch because they provide some suite benefits to the suite name they contain. The last time we booked a mini was a little over 5 years ago and the benefit of booking a mini at the time was the extended cabin length with the extra sitting area and a fairly nice sized balcony. Aside from that the minis were all about extra space and not much else.

The Caribbean cruise on the Ruby, we booked a suite, D737, and that was super nice, especially some of the additional perks, the bar setup, the huge bathroom and all the space. Once you go full suite, it is hard to go back to standard accommodations.

In short, if you liked the Royal, you'll like the rest of the fleet. It will be different, but not in a bad way.

Hi....I have never sailed Princess...I was referring to Royal Caribbean.

I am in the process of booking Ruby to Mexico. Thanks to all of you for the fantastic information, especially cruiselvr1, xyankee, CarolynR. If it were not for you all, I would have no idea about the bigger balconies on Caribe, the lack of shade on other decks, the pluses and minuses of mini-suites. CC makes me a more knowledgeable (and happier) traveler.

me. Oh, I am thinking of either 1) rknoegular balcony or 2) Mini Suite.

Lois, I don't know if you are interested, but I don't think this has been mentioned. Princess allows you to carry on just about as many bottles of wine that you can handle. Each adult can carry on one 750ml bottle of wine at no charge. This bottle can be enjoyed at your convenience in your cabin. You may take it with you to any of the dining venues to be enjoyed with dinner, and at that time you will be charged a $15 corkage fee. If you carry on more than one bottle per adult, you will be charged $15 corkage at the pier. Those bottles, for which you paid the $15 at the pier, can be enjoyed in your cabin or at any of the dining venues at no additional charge. I should emphasize that this allowance is for carry on, only. Do not pack wine in your checked baggage.

We took our first cruise on the Ruby Princess in October, and I am pleased to report that we enjoyed all our meals. We dined at the Crown Grill and SHARE specialty restaurants and in our cabin (Ultimate Balcony Dinner). A couple days we'd stuffed ourselves on shore at lunch, and on those evenings we ate, casually, from the Pizza Grill or the International Cafe. Each meal was outstanding.

Hi, thanks for the information. I do partake but I don't bring my own

bottles of anything (just my choice). I am very low maintenance and

don't care to carry extra anything;)....If I want a glass of vino, I will

order one.:)

Hi, thanks for the information. I do partake but I don't bring my own

bottles of anything (just my choice). I am very low maintenance and

don't care to carry extra anything;)....If I want a glass of vino, I will

order one.:)

Perfectly understandable.

To me the greatest thing about cruising is that everybody gets to customize they're experience. If there is something you enjoy, then enjoy it. If there is something you don't particularly enjoy, then it is easy to avoid it. There are always plenty of different options.

Have a great cruise. :)

Lois, I remember when you tried HAL many years ago.:o

Feel certain your first Princess will be a much better experience for you.

As much as I like Ruby Princess, sort of wish your first Princess would be out of Florida. Out of Florida, you will find the passenger base to be about the same as on Celebrity. :)

LuLu

Lois, I remember when you tried HAL many years ago.:o

Feel certain your first Princess will be a much better experience for you.

As much as I like Ruby Princess, sort of wish your first Princess would be out of Florida. Out of Florida, you will find the passenger base to be about the same as on Celebrity. :)

LuLu

Hi LuLu,:) Oh, I still haven't made a decision....I may look at a cruise

out of Florida. I am not usually this fickle:rolleyes:....and not sure

why I am having such a hard time deciding.

Lois, if I were you, I would choose the Regal out of Florida. Very pretty ship and not far to travel to catch the ship

[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Dana:).....and if I picked March 5th, we could end up meeting in person after all these years;)

We are elite on Princess and Celebrity... we cruise many lines, so have about 23 cruises on Princess and 16 or so on Celebrity.

Do feel both lines are similar ... we prefer Princess over Celebrity.... especially the newer Celebrity ships... while very modern, do not have the more traditional cruise experience we like which Princess, HAL and Cunard do.

We usually book a mini suite on Princess...and a delux balcony on Celebrity. We like the bath tub in Princess mini suites.

The Ruby Princess is one of my favorite ships, have not been on it for a few years...love the location of Sabatini's on it, very lovely dining room, northern Italian food. Can recommend the veal chop especially. We also like the Crown Grill, steakhouse... steaks are great... they also serve Chilan Sea Bass and Lobster.

The buffet is more extensive on Celebrity... buffet on Princess is more than adequate for us. Celebrity has a lovely lounge at the bow of the ship, we love... the disco on Princess is at the back... not quiet the same.

I think you will like Princess if you like Celebrity... I don't see Princess as a step down though... but only you can decided.

If you like to bring wine on board, you can bring 2 bottle per cabin, to enjoy in cabin on Princess at no charge, as much wine as you like for a charge of $15 a bottle. Corking on Celebrity is $25.

Princess still has real libraries on board... was disappointed in the library on the Silhouette... more decor than anything. I don't travel with electronics.

Happy cruising.

I want to come back and say thank you to everyone again......

I still haven't made a decision:eek: but I am still keeping Princess as

an option. I haven't been to the Mexican Rivera in many years so

that is a good choice, I know:)

To be totally honest, I am NOT normally this fickle about things but for

some reason I just can't decide what to do. It sure is fun looking at things

though;)

Edited by Lois R