Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

Yes.... I can't help but think of Anthem in that huriccane they ended up sailing into a few years ago. Can you imagine these leaves breaking free and flying around.... Looks pretty sturdy in the photo... but I would stay away from any windows near this area during high winds... just saying...

HA! I have 9204 on Jan 6.... our friends will be in 9206.

LOL! I'll get some pictures for you (when the occupants are not there, of course). You have a "magic cabin" too and will have a front row seat to all the MC action. I think it will be a hoot to be there for one cruise and who knows, maybe our cabins will end up being the hottest cabins on the ship. ;)

Maybe that's what we should call all of the cabins along the Magic Carpet - The Magic 56 (the 28 S3s and the 2 cabins on each side of the MC on those 7 decks). :D

You know at first glance, if I had an S3 I would have liked the side open. But as you note the people on either side would not like that and I wouldn't be comfortable looking straight into someone else's balcony. So may be it will be glass.

Now one would say it doesn't matter because on the Oasis Class ships if you have a Central Park or Boardwalk view cabin, those across from you have a direct view into your balcony and possibly cabin :)

On an early cruise on an S class ship I think Summit, , we got skunked with one of those pie shaped, undersized balconies ..not noted as such in the brochures. Only 1 person could go out there at a time, and it looked right into a full glass window of a non balcony suite, Very awkard...more so for the suite folks. We had the same room booked for a subsequent cruise but changed it as soon as we returned,,...now those cabins are noted as such and they may have changed something with the suites... We never go right next to a suite... but are close to one on EDGE

Talking about holding up in storm winds, the Magic Carpet is back on the ship. ;p

Photos by Saint Nazaire, une ville à la mer, ses chantiers navals, sespaquebots.

22808e894f5c1d8efd395526d8a07f26.jpg

7dad030d9b461f69a388781923f573cc.jpg

My husband convinced me to book an early sailing of this ship. I kinda wanted to wait to see how well the MC functioned. Between corrosion from salt water and jostling from wave and wind action... I just wonder how well it will work and maintenance required

On an early cruise on an S class ship I think Summit, , we got skunked with one of those pie shaped, undersized balconies ..not noted as such in the brochures. Only 1 person could go out there at a time, and it looked right into a full glass window of a non balcony suite, Very awkard...more so for the suite folks. We had the same room booked for a subsequent cruise but changed it as soon as we returned,,...now those cabins are noted as such and they may have changed something with the suites... We never go right next to a suite... but are close to one on EDGE

Well I don't think you will be getting a pie shaped this time around :). I think the only unknown right now is, the view from most of these balconies. A view straight ahead seems like a definite, except for those on the MC path when it is parked on deck 5. In fact, I think for most of the ship and balcony cabins, there will not be a straight down view of the sea from a balcony because of how deck 5 sticks out due to the Live/Tender Boats.

Regardless though, I still think the ship is great and we will have a great time.

By the way- Anthem did not sail through a hurricane. It was just a nor'easter! But the wave action, not the winds, caused most of the damage. I think Edge, as the case with all modern cruise ships, has been engineered to be safe in storm conditions. Now it may not be comfortable for some passengers- but it will be safe.

By the way- Anthem did not sail through a hurricane. It was just a nor'easter! But the wave action, not the winds, caused most of the damage. I think Edge, as the case with all modern cruise ships, has been engineered to be safe in storm conditions. Now it may not be comfortable for some passengers- but it will be safe.

Sorry, I should have said “hurricane force winds” , since it was not technically a hurricane. Actually I thought Anthem held up pretty well, although I think their animal statue lost its head or sustained some damage. Not really worried about the ship just speculating what those blade like leaves would be like flying across the deck in comparable 125 mike per hour winds. But unlikely anyone would be on deck anyway. Just wondering not worrying

Shout Out to Sparkx (and Lloyd, of course too)!

I'm curious about the MC roof....in Sparkx photos it appears to be of a heavy vinyl cloth. That seems way too fragile if in fact that's what it's made from. Anyone know?

With the MC top being the same blue color as the ship, it might be something that is used at times. The fringe does make it look more permanent than just a temporary cover. It does take away some of the overpowering orange color from the MC.

Love all the photos that have been posted. Nice to see the ship come together. It is really going to be a very unique ship. I hope they will reveal more about the interior soon. Would love to know what is in some of the gray areas on the deck plans.

Interesting thought that the fringe cover could be for certain situations.

From the Edge FAQs - the ceiling material is in bold:

FAST FACTS/FEATURES

Magic Carpet

Total Square Footage: 1,937.5 sq. ft

Magic Carpet Total Length: 110 ft.

Magic Carpet Total Width: 20 ft.Magic

Carpet Total Weight: 240 metric tons

Total Occupancy: 100 (though it has been changed to 90 in many recent releases)

The Magic Carpet is roughly the size of a tennis court

Fabricated out of mainly painted steel with an airy, mesh ceiling

The Magic Carpet is outfitted with programmable LED lighting

Sorry, I should have said “hurricane force winds” , since it was not technically a hurricane. Actually I thought Anthem held up pretty well, although I think their animal statue lost its head or sustained some damage. Not really worried about the ship just speculating what those blade like leaves would be like flying across the deck in comparable 125 mike per hour winds. But unlikely anyone would be on deck anyway. Just wondering not worrying

Yes it actually did hold up well in those circumstances. Just sensationalized media reports! On Edge I don't think they will let anybody out in strong winds where those blades would be like weapons! LOL. Anyway I think Edge shares some features with Anthem. We sailed on Anthem and I would highly recommend others to give her a try. A beautiful and fun ship. Great for those of us in the northeast US.

As I look at the photos of as EDGE is being built, I have a much greater appreciation for cruise ships and all the hard work that goes into building them. The earlier photos of the work being done inside...the cables hanging, etc...leaves me in awe.

Thanks for the photos...I was originally scheduled to sail on one of the now cancelled preview cruises in November and now have to wait until December, 2019! But I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

As I look at the photos of as EDGE is being built, I have a much greater appreciation for cruise ships and all the hard work that goes into building them. The earlier photos of the work being done inside...the cables hanging, etc...leaves me in awe.

Thanks for the photos...I was originally scheduled to sail on one of the now cancelled preview cruises in November and now have to wait until December, 2019! But I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

I still think they should name something after Lloyd. Maybe “Lloyd’s Blocks are in the House Lounge.” I’d hang out there every night!😃🍷

Yes it actually did hold up well in those circumstances. Just sensationalized media reports! On Edge I don't think they will let anybody out in strong winds where those blades would be like weapons! LOL. Anyway I think Edge shares some features with Anthem. We sailed on Anthem and I would highly recommend others to give her a try. A beautiful and fun ship. Great for those of us in the northeast US.

When I saw the photo of the trees.... those leaves/blades looked like some ancient weapon they would make on "Forged in Fire". Not sure you are familiar with the show (a favorite of my husband... I just happen to be in the room), but as one of the judges would say "This blade will kill" :D:D