Anyone else struggling to find a cruise?

gordylad

Was looking at a suite on the Eclipse for 2018 going to Iceland. Jeez Louise, we just wanted to visit Iceland.

We don't want to go to Russia, we do want to go to Iceland.

So we booked a cruise on Holland Americ for July 2017. It is 14 days round trip from Copenhagen, a place we want to see, where we will arrive three days early, then two ports in Norway, four ports/five nights in Iceland, and two ports in Scotland.

Celebrity didn't have anything like it, but Hollan America does.

Well we have looked at late 2018 and 2019 destinations and we are really struggling with a cruise which a) we really want to do and b) value for money

Anyone else?

Sadly, I agree with you. Celebrity is my cruiseline of choice, but It's been almost two years since I've sailed with them. Limited itinerary choice and price. I'm not saying that it's not great value for money, but when you combine it with limited itineraries, others like Princess prevail.

The price hike on the sailing I was going to book has left a bitter taste in my mouth. Celebrity is not my line of choice any more.

I'm now looking at HAL and Princess, but will probably wait until nearer the time and book last minute. If the cruise lines want to play chicken, that's fine with me.

Just an fyi in case some might not have considered it...we did a "stopover" in Iceland with Icelandair flying back from a cruise we took out of Southampton in Sept.

We spent 3 days touring on our own. You can stay longer, but we already were pushing our time away.

It was one of the best things we have ever done! Loved the scenery!

Well we have looked at late 2018 and 2019 destinations and we are really struggling with a cruise which a) we really want to do and b) value for money

Anyone else?

A little bit. Itineraries are all a bit 'safe'. So will be looking at other lines on that basis alone.

I'm struggling to find much value also. There's a couple that might do, but will wait and see what the promotions are for booking onboard next month. If there's no perks then will be looking elsewhere for sure.

Completely agree with suggestion about IcelandAir. Wife and I did the same thing and fell in love with Iceland. IcelandAir lets you stop at no extra charge and has very competitive fares. Just take lots of money as Iceland is expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I kinda agree with the OP. We really wanted to do Alaska in 2018 but Celebrity only does 7 days now not the 10 like they used to do. Hard to fly to the other coast for only 7 days.

So I looked at Oceania. They have a 10 day in June up to Hubbard Bay and back to Seattle. The fare included RT airfare and their liquor package while my TA kicked in free gratuities and a nice chunk of OBC. The line also will include the two specialty restaurants for two free visits each.

How could I not especially since Celebrity keeps raising rates?

Just an fyi in case some might not have considered it...we did a "stopover" in Iceland with Icelandair flying back from a cruise we took out of Southampton in Sept.

We spent 3 days touring on our own. You can stay longer, but we already were pushing our time away.

It was one of the best things we have ever done! Loved the scenery!

Thanks for that! We had heard about that option, were considering it for our trip over for this summer's Greek Islands cruise. Didn't follow through because of timing issues, but I am glad to hear it worked for you and I will definitely try to fit that in next time.

Stan

We used to do one or two X cruises a year....now we will do none in 2017 or 2018. The itineraries are very repetitive on X, while other lines (with even smaller fleets) are mixing up the destinations and ports much better. I was hoping they would throw in some new ports for 2018, but it is generally the same ole same ole. We are not really price sensitive, but just want to see some new destinations, so Azamara and Silversea have won out (and their prices aren't more than what X charges for us for a Sky Suite). Holding out hope that the Edge will give us something new, but doubtful. However, we are looking forward to trying some new lines.

Michael

We used to do one or two X cruises a year....now we will do none in 2017 or 2018. The itineraries are very repetitive on X, while other lines (with even smaller fleets) are mixing up the destinations and ports much better. I was hoping they would throw in some new ports for 2018, but it is generally the same ole same ole. We are not really price sensitive, but just want to see some new destinations, so Azamara and Silversea have won out (and their prices aren't more than what X charges for us for a Sky Suite). Holding out hope that the Edge will give us something new, but doubtful. However, we are looking forward to trying some new lines.

Michael

Which Silverseas cruise did you find with comparable prices to a Celebrity suite? Since the ships are smaller than the S Class I am surprised. Thank you.

P.S. I booked four of the new releases this week. I can always cancel if I find a better value after the other cruise lines release their cruises. I would like to try Silverseas or Regent someday if I can find something close to the same value with equivalent perks. I would estimate that Celebrity increased their initial release prices about 7-10% over last year's new releases, but hard for me to compare exactly because they eliminated the January 14 day Southern Caribbean cruise.

Edited by jagoffee

Michael

We don't have nearly the experience you do and so we still see variety and choice in the itineraries. I was very excited to book the 2018 Transatlantic from Barcelona to Buenos Aires! I switched from an earlier TA booking on Reflection from Rome to FLL. The Reflection choice would have been ok but the new Eclipse schedule is more days, ending in a more interesting place.

Which Silverseas cruise did you find with comparable prices to a Celebrity suite? Since the ships are smaller than the S Class I am surprised. Thank you.

P.S. I booked four of the new releases this week. I can always cancel if I find a better value after the other cruise lines release their cruises. I would like to try Silverseas or Regent someday if I can find something close to the same value with equivalent perks. I would estimate that Celebrity increased their initial release prices about 7-10% over last year's new releases, but hard for me to compare exactly because they eliminated the January 14 day Southern Caribbean cruise.

We found plenty of Silversea itineraries in Summer 2017 for Europe that are the same price in a standard room as Celebrity in a Sky Suite. The one we booked was Silver Spirit for June 2017. We got a veranda room for $5200/pp while the Sky Suite we originally had booked on X was $5500/pp. There are some good deals. Regent is another story - their prices are astronomical and we only splurge on them for special occasions, like the Greenland cruise we did last summer.

Michael

In the beginning. It was more about itineraries and less about the ship life. Now it is more about going to the places we enjoy visiting. We now try and stay 2 to 5 days before and after our cruises. We still like going to the Caribbean, but we get off the ship less now. Hawaii is always great to go ahead of time or after. London and Amsterdam is always a lot of fun. Summer of 2018 I planning a trip to Taormina, Italy then a Eastern Med cruise on Reflection.

We have only 2 cruises already booked with perks thru 2018, booked prior to new listings. Nothing catching our eye for now as we await Edge. Just did ABC Islands so that eliminates a few of the new ones....they are the new hot itin...

Not really interestsed in M class..one more to go on Infinity...Would lovd an East Coastal incl Charleston, Savannah, space center etc... Royal has one out of Baltimore on Grandeur but that ship seems fairly old..

We stepped away from Celebrity and took a B2B Azamara cruise from Dubai to Singapore because of the interesting itinerary (and the BOGOHO). We booked, but had to cancel (for health reasons), a Regent Cruise to the Amazon (which was very well priced). We have booked one of the bargain Equinox cruises in the Caribbean with friends, but probably won't book too many more unless there's an interesting new itinerary or some other reason (we just obtained Elite Plus status on Celebrity, but that's not enough to choose Celebrity unless other reasons exist).

We found plenty of Silversea itineraries in Summer 2017 for Europe that are the same price in a standard room as Celebrity in a Sky Suite. The one we booked was Silver Spirit for June 2017. We got a veranda room for $5200/pp while the Sky Suite we originally had booked on X was $5500/pp. There are some good deals. Regent is another story - their prices are astronomical and we only splurge on them for special occasions, like the Greenland cruise we did last summer.

Michael

Thank you, Michael.

I had hoped for a better Australian season when new itineraries were released this week. Sadly I found it worse than the last round of releases and will be looking around for our Dec 2018 holiday. We haven't cruised as much compared to many on the boards so there are still itineraries in Europe which appeal to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums