brief review of Dec 4-11 Nieuw Amsterdam Eastern Caribbean

cervezadrinker

This was only the second cruise i ever went on and now i think I'm hooked and should have been cruising a lot more before. This was a 7 day with stops in grand turk, san juan, st maarten, and half moon cay.

Food: Ate at the Dive-in burger joint and thought the burgers were really good. All cooked to order hot dogs, burgers, fries etc. Main dining room for most dinners. Had the open seating and always got a table for 2 no problem. We ate after 8pm so it seemed like the wait was not very long. Standard food from steak to lobster to other seafoods all nights. Food was good no complaints. The service really shined in all areas of our trip and really made this a great vacation. There was a pizza place also that made fresh hot pizzas of your choice again very good. In the buffet they had made to order pasta was delicious. Plentiful food options in the buffet. Asian, mexican, and lot of variety of foods. Oatmeal cookies were really good. Room service for most breakfasts. Had all the standard fare on the menu.

Stateroom: Had a verandah on deck 6 toward the aft. Very spacious with a couch and desk. Bathroom was a little cramped but not bad. Only had a shower. The vanity sink area was a good size. Verandah was a comfortable size with 2 chairs and a table. Felt the motion of the ship most of the trip but looking outside the seas didn't look to choppy. Slight vibration noise from the picture that hung on the wall. Cabin attendant was very attentive and worked tirelessly the whole trip.

Entertainment: BB king band by far was the most popular and entertaining thing on the ship. They had multiple shows every night except 1 night. People were up dancing the whole time. Don't miss watching them play. There was a stage show every night in the show room at the sea. We watched the Nieuw Amsterdam singers and dancers perform their 3 shows every other night of the trip. They were entertaining and performed a musical type play. Also a magic show and a high energy piano player.

Port Stops: Grand Turk, did a snorkeling trip out to the 7000 ft wall and then another shallow area with more sea life. guide shows you a nurse shark and other marine life. San Juan. walked around old town took the free tram to the different forts. $5 to go inside both. Ate mofongo at cafe raicines sort of pricey. St Maarten. hired a taxi for 4 hours to take us to Marigot and Maho Beach. Cost was $80. He waited for us at both places. They try to sell it to you for $120. Just negotiate it down. Half Moon Cay. The best beach hands down i have ever been to. It was literally like a giant swimming pool for miles. pictures don't do justice. just go and see for yourselves. They bring food from the ship and have a island bbq. Food is included. Rented a clam shell but if you walk 15 min or more down the beach there is lounge chairs and shaded areas all over. also a lot more quite and way less people.

My wife and I had such a wonderful time. So much that were hooked on cruises and booked a 5 day reposition pacific coastal from Los Angeles to Vancouver next year. Happy sailing all!!!

Thanks for the review. We found the BB Kings were fantastic on the NA and the dance floor was always full.

Did you use the ship excursion for snorkel when in Grand Turk? We have booked 3 weeks on this ship next November and want to do a lot of snorkelling.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

yeah we used the ship excursion. didn't feel like looking for a local vendor there and i did snorkel excursions in cozumel for a little less from a local vendor. wasn't worth the hassle to me. when we did arrive in grand turk only saw the booth for the ships excursion. not sure if the walk up price would be cheaper.

yeah we used the ship excursion. didn't feel like looking for a local vendor there and i did snorkel excursions in cozumel for a little less from a local vendor. wasn't worth the hassle to me. when we did arrive in grand turk only saw the booth for the ships excursion. not sure if the walk up price would be cheaper.

Thank you-I was actually hoping you said that as we have a lot of OBC we want to use so will spend it on the ship excursions if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for your review, I appreciate you taking the time to post.

One question for you -- does the NA have self-service laundry facilities?

No self serve laundry. If I can recall it was $20 for a whatever you can stuff in a bag or $50 for the whole trip unlimited.

I know this is a long shot favor especially coming from a total stranger but is there anyone out there that can get a New Amsterdam ship model from the ship gift store? Searched all over the internet to find it but no luck. Want to start a collection of ships I've sailed on and didn't think about that till after I got off the ship. Let me know anyway I can send over the money for it. Thank you very much.

Jason

jason.k.lee22@gmail.com

I know this is a long shot favor especially coming from a total stranger but is there anyone out there that can get a New Amsterdam ship model from the ship gift store? Searched all over the internet to find it but no luck. Want to start a collection of ships I've sailed on and didn't think about that till after I got off the ship. Let me know anyway I can send over the money for it. Thank you very much.

Jason

jason.k.lee22@gmail.com

You may have a better chance on Cruise Memorabilia Forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=71974

Edited by easyboy