BuddyR

Food on Grandeur

We have always thought food on the GR was really good, always served hot, tasted good, etc. This last trip, most MDR meals were served warm, only some hot and some like pasta were never hot. Service was good as usual, but food quality and portion size has gone down. Also, Giovanni's wasn't as good as it has been.

I'm going to say what I've said every time quality issues come up and that is that people whine about the cost of cruising, demand lower prices and then are surprised when quality declines. Costs to the cruiseline are not going down so I'm not sure why some expect everything to stay the same for the same or lower cost. It doesn't work that way. It's called economics and the cost of doing business. Long time cruisers have posted that the cost of cruising hasn't really dropped over the last 30+ years, but quality and things included have. Well, that's because they are now catering to every man and costs go up. Cruising used to be something very few people did and those who did, didn't go every year. It was an experience and not a lifestyle for most. It was also something that only those with lots of disposable income did or for a very special occasion such as a honeymoon. Heck, cruising wasn't even on our radar when we got married in 1981. Flying to the Caribbean and staying somewhere for a week was a lot cheaper.

We have been on the Grandeur for the last 11 nights. The menus are all a little different than the Liberty last month. We are staying on the ship a while and I will start taking pictures of the menus.

Sent from my SM-P607T using Forums mobile app

We've been on Grandeur several times, yes there are obvious cutbacks in food but we've been satisfied by the quality and service. As to portion size - order multiple appetizers and mains and share. Don't like something - order something else. Special needs - the staff is there to assist. Special treats - as of December, they had lobster tails on 2nd formal night (and you can order 2nds, 3rds, ...), lamb shanks 2 nights, and plenty of grilled dead cow to keep this carnivore happy. Other lobster and steak options in MDR for an upcharge (which was reduced some nights).

We don't go to the specialty restaurants, so cannot comment on their food or service.

I'm just back from the January 3rd 11-night Eastern Caribbean sailing. My last cruise on Royal was on the Grandeur in May 2014, and back then we found the food to be o.k., but the misleading menu descriptions were a regular feature of our MDR meals. I was disappointed to hear that some of my favorites, duck and lamb and prime rib, had all but disappeared from the menu since our last sailing, and some people reported that the Windjammer food was poor quality.

I can report that we had an overall positive experience with the food onboard. This being said, we never went to the MDR. We looked at the menus each day and often saw little that interested us. They have indeed removed duck, rack of lamb (we saw lamb shank on the menu once or maybe twice), and prime rib (they serve "strip loin" instead). We'd head up to the Windjammer and discover that anything that had sounded intriguing on the MDR menu was also available in the Windjammer--along with many other options as well. We even were able to get prime rib in the WJ when it wasn't on the MDR menu, and lamb chops appeared one day at lunch. We never did see duck, though...::(The food was generally appropriately labeled, and the temperature was o.k. There were some items available every night but I thought there was plenty of variety. We also liked being able to make a plate of cheese and breadsticks to take back to the cabin for a midnight snack. One negative was that there was inconsistent (and, when present, slow) beverage service, but I understand that's true in the MDR as well.

The scrambled eggs at breakfast are indeed disappointing, but one can get an omelet made to order. There were some fresh cinnamon and sugar crullers several mornings that were really delicious, but unfortunately refrigerator-cold--they would have been really amazing hot! The coffee wasn't awful. I wish we'd remembered before day 8 that we could get fresh-squeezed orange juice. That was really delicious.

Room service breakfast was just ok--the toast was cold and the eggs are the sad scrambled eggs. Much as I love having someone bring me my breakfast, we had much better options if we just went upstairs to the WJ. (I thought the room service coffee was a little less awful than the WJ coffee, though. Perhaps the pots in the WJ need cleaning.)

We also enjoyed the roast beef sandwiches in the Park Cafe for lunch, and the brownies from Cafe Latte-tudes are very nice as well. We certainly did not go hungry and had few complaints about the food overall.

I will say that I like my food really salty, and rarely had to pick up a salt shaker--which suggests to me that others might find the food too salty. The Indian curries were quite spicy, which I like, but others might not.

I didn't envision passing a whole cruise without a main dining room meal, but, honestly, I kind of liked it. Would do it again.

I have always loved the Grandeur and i just came back from the Jan 14-22 sailing and i have to say that this is the first time i have really had to complain about the food- it was mediocre at best and was barely luke warm and sometimes downright cold. This was in Chops, The Main Dining Room and the Windjammer. complained in all three venues as did my cabin mate and overheard several others complaining. This was addressed very quickly in the Windjammer by the Manager, Pilar who was wonderful- went immediately to the chef who came out, took small portions of food from different areas and i saw him actually touching it as he walked away and he was clearly in agreeance with the fact that it was barely warm. After that initial complaint- there were no more problems and the food in the Windjammer the rest of the cruise was very warm. Complained in Chops and they did not seem very interested other than offering to bring out more food. After how long we had waited to get out food we just opted to leave rather than wait longer. We did not return. No excuse was offered as the cool temperature (we could not even melt butter on the baked potatoe! In the main dining room, the maitre d was very concerned and actually had the head of the dining services come talk to us. We assured them it was not the fault of our waiter as we clearly saw the food come out from the kitchen and he immediately served us. It definitely sat in the back getting cold. Their fix was to send first a bottle of champagne to our cabin one day and chocolate covered strawberries the next then they made sure the rest of the cruise that our food was hot when brought to the table and made a big production of racing over to make sure it was ok. We told them it was fine and that we appreciated the attention but that the bigger issue is were they making sure that ALL of the passengers food was served hot as well. It was not just about our experience that we complained but rather for them to fix the problem for everyone! I was sorely disappointed and i said all of this again in the survey again post cruise. Bottom line is that i am booked again in one year and will give it another try and hopefully the same experience is not repeated. If it is then that is it for me.

Love Pilar! If it is the same person . . . In the main dining room a few cruises ago she made sure all was functioning at the highest level.

Love Pilar! If it is the same person . . . In the main dining room a few cruises ago she made sure all was functioning at the highest level.

she was the supervisor in the Windjammer this cruise and was exemplary- i would bet it is the same person- wonderful and very professional and kind!

We haven't sailed on Royal Caribbean in several years (mostly sailing on Celebrity) but have booked the Grandeur for a 12-night cruise for the end of March. Our final payment is coming up in a few days and I am concerned about some of the recent negative reviews about this ship, especially concerning the food which is an important part of cruising for us. I would appreciate any comments that recent Grandeur cruisers could offer concerning food. Also, is this ship using the "new" menus? Thanks!

Laura

We recently did a 12 night on Grandeur, we were very impressed with breakfast, lunch and dinner in the MDR. Top floor of MDR my time dining around 7:45 pm each night, Krystina and Kenneth were fantastic. Food was promptly served always hot, delicious. And the 2 assistant maitre des helped, ran a very good staff, ones name was Dan.

My favorite cruise line is celebrity, wife likes RCL, I would compare Lady G to celebrity service with food very close. Am breakfast in Diamond area of MDR were served by Leah and Austin, excellent remembered all our needs after a day or two. I can't say enough about the crew on the entire ship!

It's like an old school feel, many activities, Zumba, dancing etc.

January 2016 we were on the Anthem, ship was great, food and service lousy. The G restored our faith in RCL and we might cruise her again in 2018.

January 2015 we were on Celebrity Equionox, G is close to that level of food and service, activities were great and the fellow passengers were some of the most gracious and nice people we ever met!

i have been on G twice and several other RC ships,, and by far i enjoyed the service and food best on Grandeur . perhaps its due to the size of the ship or whatever. i also found the Cruise directors to be the best. now i havent been inside her for 2 years so not sure if things changed.

My favorite cruise line is celebrity, wife likes RCL, I would compare Lady G to celebrity service with food very close. Am breakfast in Diamond area of MDR were served by Leah and Austin, excellent remembered all our needs after a day or two. I can't say enough about the crew on the entire ship!

Will be cruising on the Grandeur this month. This is our third cruise on the Lady G. I didn't know there was a Diamond area of the MDR for breakfast. Where is it located? I remember on the EOS they had a Diamond and above area in the Windjammer.

WOW- so many negatives about the Grandeur. So many seem to be snobs(?).

WE cruised to Canada -Sept 2016. We thought the food in the MDR was great and the service could not have been better- we did anytime on 5th deck.

WE also ate at the Windjammer most breakfasts & lunches. WE were cruising just to see the NE & Canada- not a player or dancer so we just enjoyed the shows & alot of "nothing". I used the whirlpool & sauna every morning. We have cruised the bigger ships but prefer the smaller. Have Western Carribbean booked April 2018 on Rhapsody out of Tampa.

We do not go for GLAMOR so I guess that is why we like the smaller.

We were on Grandeur for 12 nights over Christmas & NYs and we thought the food was pretty good. We also had some of the best service ever in the MDR. :D

Sherri:)

Will be cruising on the Grandeur this month. This is our third cruise on the Lady G. I didn't know there was a Diamond area of the MDR for breakfast. Where is it located? I remember on the EOS they had a Diamond and above area in the Windjammer.

Upper level of MDR, port side, I believe. There will probably be a notice about it in your cabin.

Sorry double post. Still trying to get use to new format.

Edited by ETski

Menu to me looks interesting. Love to cook and I am very adventurous when it comes to trying new foods. I am thinking that the people who complain about the food are basic meat and potato types. Lots of people will not try new foods. Just my opinion. Thanks for taking the time to post the menus.

We sailed on the Grandeur in December for 12 nights. We found the food in MDR to be some of the best we have had and the service was, without a doubt, the best we've had on 11 cruises. BTW we ate in the MDR every night.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

My wife & I were on the GOS in November & December & the food was not too bad. The worst food was on the Liberty of the seas. In January we were on the Anthem & the food & service was great.

WOW- so many negatives about the Grandeur. So many seem to be snobs(?).

WE cruised to Canada -Sept 2016. We thought the food in the MDR was great and the service could not have been better- we did anytime on 5th deck.

WE also ate at the Windjammer most breakfasts & lunches. WE were cruising just to see the NE & Canada- not a player or dancer so we just enjoyed the shows & alot of "nothing". I used the whirlpool & sauna every morning. We have cruised the bigger ships but prefer the smaller. Have Western Carribbean booked April 2018 on Rhapsody out of Tampa.

We do not go for GLAMOR so I guess that is why we like the smaller.

Expecting food to be warm/hot is hardly being snobby. If you check my past cruises you will see we have cruised on GR several times and have never had a food complaint until this last trip. I think you're missing the real points being made here.

As for "glamour" not sure what the heck you mean by that.

I board Saturday and will post the here:

https://getawaysfrom21044.wordpress.com/menus/grandeur17/

Roy

Thank you for posting these menus! I am so excited to go back on the Grandeur in March and to see that they still serve the chilled soups at dinner. With all the talk about the new menus I was afraid they stopped those. We were on the Anthem in Dec and there were no chilled soups any night in the regular dining room...

Bottom floor of MDR right side, signs there, show card and your in. We sat at table for 2, Leah and Austin were great as were asst. maitre des, 12 night cruise, after couple days, remembered everything. Best service in recent years.

We haven't sailed on Royal Caribbean in several years (mostly sailing on Celebrity) but have booked the Grandeur for a 12-night cruise for the end of March. Our final payment is coming up in a few days and I am concerned about some of the recent negative reviews about this ship, especially concerning the food which is an important part of cruising for us. I would appreciate any comments that recent Grandeur cruisers could offer concerning food. Also, is this ship using the "new" menus? Thanks!

Laura

The Grandeur has the best Head Waiter that I ever met ,Murat .He is very caring to those of us with special needs.

Any recent food reviews? We were mostly pleased last August with MDR. Is it the same menu. I don’t eat in the buffets.

Last week, the MDR dinners varied from quite good to not very good. I am not a fan of the new menus. That said, we found dishes that we liked. The same was true in the WJ.

Posted (edited)

We were on Grandeur in January and thought the MDR food was not good in that it was not hot, pasta was overcooked/gummy and service was somewhat rushed though still friendly and professional.

We never do specialty dining so after 2 nights of dissatisfaction in the MDR, we stuck to the Windjammer and much preferred the variety and laid-back atmosphere there.

I am definitely not a meat and potatoes person as I eat mostly vegetarian when traveling.

I don't enjoy haute cuisine but my husband is adventuresome with food.

Granduer is a great, smaller ship with a wonderful crew but the food was largely unremarkable. Then again, we do not cruise for the food.

Edited by Bookish Angel