Pirates on the high Seas

kruisey

It is SERIOUS stuff to me.What that poor Captain went through.It was not fiction it was a factual event .

We know, Heather. It's because you are a compassionate person. :) But you know how these threads go--someone is bound to make a joke somewhere along the line. :o

we just transited the Gulf of Aden in October on the Emerald. They had the passengers do a "Piracy Drill". There was additional security watches on the Promenade Deck as well as fire Hoses positioned. We were told that there hasn't been a piracy incident for quite a while since the Navies were patrolling the area.

The 'best' year for Somali pirates was 2009. Since then then have had fewer successes each year. Now they do not pose a threat, but the international shipping community has to stay vigilant.

Cruise ships travelling in risky areas have fire hoses laid out on the deck and they all carry Long Range Acoustic Devices.

As others have said, a cruise ship would not be a good target for pirates. There are too many crew and the passengers would include a lot of ex-military and ex-police who would also pose a problem for the pirates. Not to mention the unpredictability of some passengers ......:D

I was really shaken watching this though.

While I agree, it was an interesting movie, maybe taking a break and watching something a little more uplifting would be helpful.

I hope that you can shake this off and enjoy the day, Heather.

Tracie-Lynn:)

Yes' date=' a few years ago one of the Seabourn ships actually outran the pirates.

[/quote']

True.

It was in 2005, I've met two couples on recent Seabourn cruises who were on the ship when it was attacked.

News report here, and there are pics online of the damage done to one of the suites.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4409662.stm

Cruise ships certainly do still pass through the area, the newest SB ship was there just a week or so ago.

They take special measures and in most cases additional security staff (ex miltary usually) board before they enter the danger area.

princess has a sure fire method of repelling any pirates that manage to get onboard - they are sent to the passenger services desk and told to ask for an upgrade.

Good one!

Edited by Sea Hag

In UK till February and was watching the Tom Hanks movie Captain Philips.A true story.

The Somalian Pirates had fire arms but ships crew did not.All they had to protect them was spouting water all around the ship.:confused:

Would this be the case on a Princess Ship that the security crew members do not carry fire arms? .I was truly shocked watching this movie that the pirates can just come on board an unarmed ship.

I've been told by a security officer in Alaska that there are weapons onboard in a locked cabin and room. Many of the security officers are former special services from the army or navy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've been told by a security officer in Alaska that there are weapons onboard in a locked cabin and room. Many of the security officers are former special services from the army or navy.

I don't doubt you might have been told this, but doubt it is true.

You're a Canadian and have a grasp of our firearms laws.

I know Customs and Border Protection seize weapons as innocuous as brass knuckles and switchblades from cargo ships. I can just imagine what would happen if they found firearms aboard a cruise ship.

Given Canadian law, and firearm restrictions in place, I seriously doubt cruise ships with firearms would be allowed to stop in Canada.

We sailed on the Sun Princess a few years ago around the Indian Ocean. We had pirate drills and were told that Princess did have more than the water cannon that they set up around the decks but were not told exactly what that was, we assumed they had firearms.

Basically it was more work for the crew and an interesting experience for the passengers.

We did not see any pirates during the cruise and at no time did I feel unsafe.

Canadian Customs and Immigration does allow firearms into Canada . As long as the firearm and ammo is looked up separately. Ships are allowed to carry weapons for protection from pirates.

For verifying this a great comfort to me anyway.:)

I know some take this in jest but with the way stuff happens in the world today.............

That is like showing an airplane disaster movie on board an aircraft on a long flight which is something they will not do. Probably not the best movie to show on a ship.

That is funny indeed and very true.

I flew back home to the UK on Virgin Atlantic a few years ago on one of the inflight films was ' Flight' with Denzel Washington

Just telling you this was a serious breach of the ship's Security Plan under ISPS (International Ship and Port Security) Code.

Canadian Customs and Immigration does allow firearms into Canada . As long as the firearm and ammo is looked up separately. Ships are allowed to carry weapons for protection from pirates.

Actually, it is up to the flag state to determine whether a ship may lawfully carry arms (not all do), then it is up to the company's insurance coverage as to whether it is allowed, and finally, it is up to the port state as to what needs to be done in regards to declaring arms, how many are allowed, and what needs to be done with them in territorial waters. Back in 2013, India detained a US flag ship that was owned by a private security firm and was involved in maritime security in the area, for not declaring the arms onboard.

Here is a link to what the various flag states' laws and regulations are:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjL1qb705bRAhWj3YMKHdTdCn8QFggaMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ics-shipping.org%2Fdocs%2Fdefault-source%2FPiracy-Docs%2Fcomparison-of-flag-state-laws-on-armed-guards-and-arms-on-boardD6805E4B3E6A.pdf%3Fsfvrsn%3D0&usg=AFQjCNGPhjDqkFKPR0iQDFu6Dqq_2rDsAw