What do you know about Edge?

jules815

Being a little lazy here not doing the research myself.

Can you tell me what you know so far about Edge? Is this going to be the largest ship in Celebrity's fleet? What will set this ship apart from their others? (Please don't let it be bumper cars.)

The ship size will be between m class and s class. The only other thing is they had the first steel cutting about a month ago.

I didn't realize it was still that new. I like the sound of the size.

Thanks for the info.

Being a little lazy here not doing the research myself.

Can you tell me what you know so far about Edge? Is this going to be the largest ship in Celebrity's fleet? What will set this ship apart from their others? (Please don't let it be bumper cars.)

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14041761_CEL_Edge_FAQ.pdf

Even though it is billed as "between the size of the M class and the S class" that is only in tonnage and length. Don't expect a smaller, more intimate ship.

They will actually carry more pax than all S class ships save the Reflection.

Even though it is billed as "between the size of the M class and the S class" that is only in tonnage and length. Don't expect a smaller, more intimate ship.

They will actually carry more pax than all S class ships save the Reflection.

I agree. The "It's bigger than M class but smaller than S class" has been banded about parrot fashion for some time now. People are really buying into the Celebrity marketing...

I agree. The "It's bigger than M class but smaller than S class" has been banded about parrot fashion for some time now. People are really buying into the Celebrity marketing...

OP asked a question and I answered it based upon the press releases, I wasn't parroting anything just answering a question. Perhaps you know more than they do. The ships will carry more passengers which was put out in the press releases.

The original Solstice design was for 2850 passengers, 1032 ft long, 121 ft wide and 122,000grt. The Edge class are scheduled to carry 2900 passengers, be 984ft long and 123ft wide and 117,000grt. I think with advancements in behind the scenes technologies that could potentially free up space, more efficient space usage, and perhaps a few more inside cabins to compensate for the shorter length that Edge could still remain as spacious as the Solstice. There are a number of areas on the Solstice that are empty volume and don't actually benefit the passenger in any meaningful way.

One example is the walkway that connects the Ensemble lounge to Blu and the specialty dining venues. Other areas like the photo gallery can be totally transformed due to new technologies which require far less space. There are many ways they can reorganize space to benefit the consumer even though the ship is technically smaller. Also. I have a suspicion that the back will be less raked and more vertical.

I look forward to seeing what they come up with. History has shown Celebrity build spacious, elegant and comfortable vessels. I have no doubt that Edge will be anything but!

Original design of the bridge would no longer have "wings". Concept was rejected by the captains with a 100% vote. So, the "wings" will be on the Edge-class ships. In fact, they will be retractable.

Any source on that? Seems like an expensive and/or useless function besides appearance, it can't be aerodynamic reasons like the Concorde nose? :)

It has been announced that the Edge class ships will have NO inside cabins !!!

That one I had not heard/read. That would make the ship uncompetitive in many markets as the lowest advertised fares would be significantly higher than Princess or Holland. I could see no oceanviews like Royal and Regal Princess though. Unless many public spaces are sandwiched in the interior sections between balcony cabin hallways on the exterior I don't see how they can get 2900 passengers on a ship that size and have no interior rooms at all.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

One example is the walkway that connects the Ensemble lounge to Blu and the specialty dining venues. Other areas like the photo gallery can be totally transformed due to new technologies which require far less space. There are many ways they can reorganize space to benefit the consumer even though the ship is technically smaller. Also. I have a suspicion that the back will be less raked and more vertical.

It'd be easy to reduce the unused space compared to Solstice. That atrium is massive, and the phantom extra level library, and Green zone don't have much utility.

I look forward to seeing what they come up with. History has shown Celebrity build spacious, elegant and comfortable vessels. I have no doubt that Edge will be anything but!

You think Edge will be anything but spacious, elegant and comfortable?

Not sure about spacious, but I'd expect they're trying to achieve the last two.

It'd be easy to reduce the unused space compared to Solstice. That atrium is massive, and the phantom extra level library, and Green zone don't have much utility.

You think Edge will be anything but spacious, elegant and comfortable?

Not sure about spacious, but I'd expect they're trying to achieve the last two.

Sorry if my phrase confused - it's a rather American way to say I think it WILL be spacious, elegant and comfortable.

Agree on some of the wasted atrium space being better used for other resources.