Thoughts on Pacific Coastal cruises

rkkunk

We live in CA and have done 3 four day cruises to Ensenada. One on Monarch of the Seas the last year it was based here full time and the other 2 on Carnival. We have done 6 other cruises (1 to Alaska, the rest in the Caribbean) 3 with DCL and 3 RCCL.

It would be nice to do a cruise where we don't have to fly across the country and have an extra travel day.

For those of you who have done the Pacific Coastal on Celebrity, could you please share your thoughts on your cruise, the ports, the ship, etc. it would be myself, my DH, and our DS (14). Also, how is the wifi on the ship, as my son might need to do some work for school.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We live in CA and have done 3 four day cruises to Ensenada. One on Monarch of the Seas the last year it was based here full time and the other 2 on Carnival. We have done 6 other cruises (1 to Alaska, the rest in the Caribbean) 3 with DCL and 3 RCCL.

It would be nice to do a cruise where we don't have to fly across the country and have an extra travel day.

For those of you who have done the Pacific Coastal on Celebrity, could you please share your thoughts on your cruise, the ports, the ship, etc. it would be myself, my DH, and our DS (14). Also, how is the wifi on the ship, as my son might need to do some work for school.

Thanks!

We have booked our first Cal Coastal for Oct this year on the Infinity. It's an 8 day with an overnight in San Fran. I've done one Pacific Coastal that went up to Victoria and Seattle and back again. We enjoyed that one. It wasn't a warm cruise so if sitting out on deck and taking in the sun is what you are after the Cal Coastal might not be the best cruise. The Oct 8 day has 5 port days so that's not an issue since most days we are off the ship. Most of the ports are places we enjoy going to anyway so that's a plus. Well except for Ensenada, that place just blows and Catalina isn't exactly a thrilling destination either. Much rather have done San Diego. I'm sure we will enjoy it. We know the ports, we know where to go and what to do. And best of all, NO FLYING! Oh, the Wifi is hit or miss but mostly miss in my experience. If seems to work well if you go to the internet cafe and use their computers. Using you own device can be painful especially in the evening after a port call. But on the plus side your phone will connect in nearly all the ports and if you are close enough to shore you might get service on the ship

Edited by TFLG

I absolutely love the Pacific Coastal itineraries ...best when they leave out of San Francisco but have even sailed on ones that leave out of Vancouver, Seattle and LA.

The northern itineraries are usually quite chilly out but for the ones leaving out of SF or LA, I would recommend September as our best month for weather.

Just of note, when you sail out into the bay from SF, the water can get quite rough but it is still a great itinerary, nonetheless.

We are SoCal residents and we did a Pacific Coastal last year. We had been to the port stops hundreds of times, but we LOVED the itinerary. We loved it so much we are doing a California Coastal later this Fall and another Pacific Coastal in a year, all on Celebrity. No flying! Flying has become an expensive hassle so we are looking more closely at Celebrity West Coast and also including Hawai'i and Mexico itineraries on Princess.

I just talked to my California TA two days ago about Celebrity replacing the Century with another California based ship. She said she has talked to senior marketing staff at Celebrity and no final decisions have been made yet, but that Infinity is being considered for a California base as soon as an Edge ship comes online. I am not starting a rumor because no decisions have been made yet, but keep your fingers crossed!

We are SoCal residents and we did a Pacific Coastal last year. We had been to the port stops hundreds of times, but we LOVED the itinerary. We loved it so much we are doing a California Coastal later this Fall and another Pacific Coastal in a year, all on Celebrity. No flying! Flying has become an expensive hassle so we are looking more closely at Celebrity West Coast and also including Hawai'i and Mexico itineraries on Princess.

I just talked to my California TA two days ago about Celebrity replacing the Century with another California based ship. She said she has talked to senior marketing staff at Celebrity and no final decisions have been made yet, but that Infinity is being considered for a California base as soon as an Edge ship comes online. I am not starting a rumor because no decisions have been made yet, but keep your fingers crossed!

I would love to see more ships based on the west coast. There's so many more itineraries they could do. I don't understand why it's always just PV, Cabo and Mazatlan. The ports in the Sea of Cortez are so much nicer than Mazitlan. Ixtapa is even better, they could do 14 day trips and go to Costa Rica and back. And even 14 day west coast up to BC or even Alaska would be great. I enjoy the west coast to Hawaii cruises too. Not a big fan of the round trip but I think they could do a one way there and a one way back and still fill the ships.

Thanks everyone![emoji846]

We did the 4 day cruises in April and the weather was pretty good, but you are right, they are way more chilly than a Caribbean cruise! October on our Central California coast is usually beautiful weather.

We don't like Ensenada either, although we do like Catalina. We enjoy just hanging out or doing a tour. Would love to go to San Francisco without driving there and dealing with the traffic. Lol!

So has anyone been on the Infinity? Did you like the ship? How was your cabin?

........ And even 14 day west coast up to BC or even Alaska would be great. I enjoy the west coast to Hawaii cruises too. Not a big fan of the round trip but I think they could do a one way there and a one way back and still fill the ships.
The one way 11 day west coast cruise from California up to BC is very popular, and the prices for it have sky-rocketed. :eek:

We are east coast residents looking forward to our 8 night Pacific Coastal cruise on Infinity in Oct. We were on her last Oct to ABC Islands. Not as updated as S class but in good shape,

Due to the distance and expense of airfare, we have limited experience with west coast cruising: Mex Riviera on Royal's Radiance from San Diego; Hawaii RT on Summit from San Pedro; and an Inside Passage RT from Seattle on Mercury.

All were enjoyable and we are hoping the Pacific Coastal (so rte) will be another great cruise and a nice change for us from cruising from Fla ports.....Can't wait!

Edited by hcat

Thanks!

We've done two West Coast Pacific/Canada Coastal Cruises with RCI. September 2015 on the Jewel. Vancouver to LA. September 2016 on the Explorer. Seattle Round Trip. Doing another with Celebrity September 2017 on the Infinity. Vancouver to LA. We always do 14 night Cruises in the Caribbean in late March early April so we consider the West Coast Pacific/Canada Coastal Cruises our end of year Cruise. We use to do the Mexico Rivera Cruises but we are now hooked on the West Coast Pacific/Canada Coastal Cruises.

Edited by davekathy

The one way 11 day west coast cruise from California up to BC is very popular, and the prices for it have sky-rocketed. :eek:

If you're talking about the May cruise on Infinity, the ridiculous balcony prices dropped 40% yesterday from $5K to $3K. ;)

Thanks everyone![emoji846]So has anyone been on the Infinity? Did you like the ship? How was your cabin?

Our 2016, 2017, 2018 Pacific Coastals are all on the Infinity. Wonderful ship, wonderful crew, terrific itinerary - love the Infinity

The one way 11 day west coast cruise from California up to BC is very popular, and the prices for it have sky-rocketed.

Yes, that appears to be true - supply and demand. These California based cruises are becoming very popular and consequently the prices are going up. These is a huge pent up market in the SouthWest since the Century left. I hope Celebrity is paying attention and will add more itineraries and maybe the prices will stabilize or even come down.

Thanks everyone![emoji846]

So has anyone been on the Infinity? Did you like the ship? How was your cabin?

We have done two Pacific coastal cruises, and thoroughly enjoyed them. And our very first cruise on the now departed Century was a San Diego to Hawaii RT; I wish those RTs would return.

rkkunk: We have done six cruises on the Infinity and will board her on March 5th for a B2B2B series. So we like the ship. The M-class ships lack that stunning elevator atrium of the S-class ships, but have some features that I prefer.

I LOVE the Pacific Coastal itineraries too:)....but the ships I sailed on for

them are no longer in the fleet:(.....I was on CENTURY and MERCURY.

Both have been gone for a few years now. But the ports were always

good. San Diego, San Francisco, Astoria (Oregon) Nanaimo, BC, Victoria,

Seattle......the ports varied over the years but I love them all:)...oh

sometimes Monterey was a stop too......:D

The M-class ships lack that stunning elevator atrium of the S-class ships, but have some features that I prefer.

We agree, like the elevator bank amidships on the starboard side that overlooks the ocean, the convenient third elevator stack toward the stern of the ship, and the two deck high wall of glass in the MDR that overlooks the stern of the ship. Also, Blu restaurant for Aqua staterooms is less crowded on M class ships than S class.

If you're talking about the May cruise on Infinity, the ridiculous balcony prices dropped 40% yesterday from $5K to $3K. ;)

For the Oct cruise I got AQ for $1700. Just booked it a few weeks ago.

My first Pacific cruise in 2009 I paid $479 on the Mariner for a 7 day in an oceanview cabin. How times have changed.

The last 3 times we have cruised has been on the Allure of the Seas. Which we obviously love.

We have been on smaller ships but it has been awhile. We are booked on the Radiance for the 9 night Alaska cruise this May.

Also, it just seems like the cruise lines tend to put their older ships, which aren't as nice, over on the West Coast and then you feel like you kinda got ripped off a little.

....Also, Blu restaurant for Aqua staterooms is less crowded on M class ships than S class.

We have been in Aqua Class on both M- and S-class ships, and I am one of the posters who has stated that I prefer Blu on the M-class ships.

The last time we were on a M-class ship was when we did a B2B2B series on the Infinity in 2015, and Luminae was being built while we were onboard. We will be in a suite for the upcoming Infinity B2B2B, and have been in suites on S-class ships since the introduction of Luminae, so it will be interesting to compare Luminae on the Infinity with our past S-class experience.

The last 3 times we have cruised has been on the Allure of the Seas. Which we obviously love.

We have been on smaller ships but it has been awhile. We are booked on the Radiance for the 9 night Alaska cruise this May.

Also, it just seems like the cruise lines tend to put their older ships, which aren't as nice, over on the West Coast and then you feel like you kinda got ripped off a little.

Yes, we do tend to get the clunkers here on the west coast. I loved it when the Mariner sailed out of LA. We sailed on her twice and loved it. The M Class are older but the layout of the ship is decent and it does not feel crowded like the older Carnival wrecks that sail from LA. We enjoyed the Millenium last April even though the ship was showing it's age in some areas. (dreadful smell down by the gangway on that one). We are just hoping the night life is decent in Oct. It was good on the Millenium in April but horrid on our Eclipse cruise in Nov. I find it very hit or miss on Celebrity in the night life dept. RCI is way better if you like to stay out and party.

We live in CA and have done 3 four day cruises to Ensenada.

For those of you who have done the Pacific Coastal on Celebrity, could you please share your thoughts on your cruise, the ports, the ship, etc. it would be myself, my DH, and our DS (14). Also, how is the wifi on the ship, as my son might need to do some work for school. Thanks!

Hi - did this Infinity trip last year and booked for 2018 too - here's link to review Part-1 (there'a a Part-2) If link doesn't work, go to "Search this Forum" at top of message list and search for keyword "Foodsponge"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2371677&highlight=Foodsponge

Here's Part-2 link featuring PORTS visited

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2378795&highlight=Foodsponge

Edited by greydog

Is the October cruise 7 or 8 days? Curious because the May Coastal is 11 days.

The Oct 1st sailing is 8 days, the one before this is a 7 day. It's a round trip from LA up to SF and Back with other stops in Santa Barbara, Monterey, Catalina and Ensenada. The 8 day has an overnight in SF which is why I went with it versus the 7 day. And that extra day will make me Elite:D

Edited by TFLG

The West Coast ports are terrific however as some have mentioned, if weather is an important consideration you should be prepared for the possibility of some pretty cold temperatures.

Our late May cruise on RCL was very cold, blustery and dreary the entire week. It was really unpleasant to sit out on the balcony, or even go out on any outdoor deck. While in port, it was a little better but while sailing, the open ocean was pretty raw.

I looked at the October itinerary but then checked the average temps for the itinerary and decided against it. However if weather isn’t a big deal, it’s hard not to find something really interesting and fun to do while in port.

Thanks!

Our very first cruise ever was on the Celebrity Millenium and it was a Pacific Coast cruise. We flew into Vancouver BC and went to Victoria, Nanaimo. San Francisco for 2 days, Monterey, Catalina Island, and San Diego. It was a great cruise - we loved Vancouver. Hope to do it again some day.

We have done several Pacific Coastal cruises. Great for us because we live in Vancouver so either Vancouver or Seattle as an embark/debark port is great for us. Only one time have we had not so great weather. Most of the cruises we've done have been in April or September.

Love the ports! Have done some great wine tours in Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Francisco and then a few craft breweries in Astoria. I will also say in Ensenada's defense we took a ship excursion there once that was an unexpected surprise. It was very inexpensive and it took us out of the port into their wine country. We went to 3 wineries and one was actually pretty decent. Then we all paper bagged it on the bus on the way back :)

Lots of fun and something completely different to do in Ensenada.