In Suite Dining, Specialty Restaurant

WpgCruise

Presently on board Marina in a P. H suite.

Tried to have dinner from Red Ginger for us, (DW and myself) and another couple we met on the ship served in suite

Refused as explained in suite dinning is only for the occupants, no guests of the occupants

Not complaining, just a heads up as we didn't know the policy before we tried.

Tried to have dinner from Red Ginger for us, (DW and myself) and another couple we met on the ship served in suite

Refused as explained in suite dinning is only for the occupants, no guests of the occupants

Checking with the boss..

Jancruz1

maybe too many requests to serve guests in the PH cabins

I can see where it might become an issue

Same as when you could order from different restaurant for each person & now both have to order from same restaurant or kitchen at least

Edited by LHT28

I believe this is SOP for PHs. Might be more liberal for named suites where there actually IS place enough to serve 4 - not so in PHs.

Although the one and only time we were in an OC, as we traveled with family, even there the butler hinted that breakfast is for 2 only. We didn't press the issue.

Thanks for the heads up, we will be on Marina on Feb 8th and are in PH and were planning on ordering from Specialty Rest. for ourselves and our sister-in-law. Will try to check it out before boarding.

I had heard before that it is meant only for the occupants, but I think it was also indicated that you could have guests for a FEE.

It's true that the PH suites, even on the "O" ships, doesn't really have room for four people. The OC, VS and OS do have room, at least the OC and VS have a table for four ... I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the OS has a larger table than one that seats four.

Mura

I don't believe it matters where the other occupants are cabined. I believe that two guests is all they will serve in a PH. There is a matter of logistics involved. A Butler, is not a private butler, in that they service a host of other PH. As they are trying to bring up each course, at a time, trying to get four course up simultaneously on their carts would probably be more excitement than they need! Otherwise, they are pulling away part of the other staff, that may be caring for other PHs , to assist them in that chore.

In the best of circumstances, getting hot food, prepared as one likes, up to your suite, for an in-suite meal is a challenge. Adding additional people to the formula will probably only add more disappointments than pleasures!

The question of dining in a Penthouse with guests was raised recently in the context of utilizing the enormous wrap around verandas of one of the extended veranda Penthouses on Marina and Riviera. 010059.jpg

That older question also referenced the number of occasions on which one might reasonably invite guests...

My response was that inviting guests was an option, but that the Penthouse holder should, "be prepared to tip as if the currency were on fire".

I stand by that statement.

The question of dining in a Penthouse with guests was raised recently in the context of utilizing the enormous wrap around verandas of one of the extended veranda Penthouses on Marina and Riviera. 010059.jpg

That older question also referenced the number of occasions on which one might reasonably invite guests...

My response was that inviting guests was an option, but that the Penthouse holder should, "be prepared to tip as if the currency were on fire".

Yes, a lot of work for your butler and for sure a large tip would be in order.

I stand by that statement. Jim&Stan

[/font][/size]

I agree with you 100%, but you know as well as I most people don't like to tip extra from other posts.

Rick

Edited by ronrick1943

Thanks for the heads up' date=' we will be on Marina on Feb 8th and are in PH and were planning on ordering from Specialty Rest. for ourselves and our sister-in-law. Will try to check it out before boarding

.[/quote']

All things aside, eating a meal in a PH for 2 is pretty darn tight, tiny table at the bed foot... with 3.... you have the material for a marx brothers or 3 stooges sketch..... You have to get Vista or larger it you want more than 2 in my book

Thanks' date=' maybe we will just do drinks and canapés there. Our sister-in-law is just getting out of a brace after a knee operation so we hoped to have dinner in PH.[/quote']

I think the space (or lack thereof) is a bigger problem than serving food for 3 people. You could order more plates to share but the table is tiny for 3.

That said, you can always check with your butler - they are very accommodating and will do it if possible.

Edited by Paulchili

On Riviera now and decided eating in our PH cabin would not be our cup of tea. The space and table are quite small.

We've been lucky and have been able to book additional specialty restaurants when we wanted them, but I'd go to the MDR before eating in a PH.

I think the space (or lack thereof) is a bigger problem than serving food for 3 people. You could order more plates to share but the table is tiny for 3.

On the R ships, I agree-

marina-penthouse-suite.jpg

On Marina & Riviera, they attach (bolt?) a larger diameter tabletop onto the round table, and swap it with the coffee table.

The Butler serves courses using the credenza as a buffet and it's actually a very comfortable set up.

On the R ships, I agree-

marina-penthouse-suite.jpg

On Marina & Riviera, they attach (bolt?) a larger diameter tabletop onto the round table, and swap it with the coffee table.

The Butler serves courses using the credenza as a buffet and it's actually a very comfortable set up.

Sounds like a lot of work for the butler. Is it really worth it?

Sounds like a lot of work for the butler. Is it really worth it?

I thought that was the function of their jobs. To create an environment and experience that you are not going to get in a lower room.

I never heard that expression before, but it's great!