Anyone want RCL to return to the West Coast Mexico sailings?

Would you book a West Coast Mexico Cruise?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Would you book a West Coast Mexico Cruise?

• YES
    • NO

I love West Coast departures, but I'm not really into seeing Mexico (although admittedly I haven't been on a Mexican cruise, although I've done land vacations there).

We just booked a Sept 29th departure Pacific Coastal itinerary on the Explorer, round trip Seattle, with stops in Astoria OR, San Francisco CA (overnight), and Victoria B.C. I'm surprised they have enough interest to do this itinerary 3 times in Sept/Oct, but based on cabin availability, it must be popular. We wanted to book earlier in September - they have this itinerary 3 times in a row, but they didn't have the cabin location we wanted available. Also, they already had a wait list for 1st seating dinner.

I've read it is the least profitable itinerary. I love any cruise we can get which is round trip Seattle, as it is our hometown. Even with the increased fares for an Alaskan or Pacific Coastal cruise vs. the Carribbean or something, without airfare and a pre-cruise hotel, it usually comes out about even. The Pacific Coastal will cost way less than Alaska (which we've done twice), as we won't be doing any pricey excursions. Its not the most glamorous itinerary or ship, but we just like cruising in general.

There were a few things going on when that unfortunately happened...but let's not forget how well Vision & Radiance did from here...I certainly did all I could do to help them succeed :D

We did the Mariner to Mexico in 2009, what happened that they stopped? Low bookings ?

We did the Mariner to Mexico in 2009, what happened that they stopped? Low bookings ?

Violence in Mexico (so RCI said but that hasn't stopped PCL & NCL) there's violence everywhere even in the caribbean. One of the biggest factor's was the H1N1 at the time. Yes...bookings were low at the time but PCL & NCL continues to fill their ships. RCI would have been better to keep a Vision or Radiance class ship...bad timing for the Mariner.

I wouldn't mind Royal coming back to the west coast. I need more options!

But like a few others, I'm 90 minutes from SF. Would love to have a cruise from there! Pacific coastal to Canada or a longer one doing the Mexican Rivera would be excellent.

The cruise line could make more profit with the ship deployed elsewhere.

That's pretty much the meat and potatoes right there.

From what I remember, it wasn't just the violence in Mexico. The on-board spending from the West Coast departures was much lower then the rest of the fleet. It was primarily locals who didn't spend much onboard. Throw in the limitations of itineraries (just not that many places to go to in a weeks time), and it made it harder to make money there then elsewhere.

Now RCI is sending some of their newer ships to Asia (Quantum class, for example) while selling off some of the older, Vision class. It may be that they try a seasonal ship again sometime I guess.

I personally would love it as we live in California & take a Mexican cruise every year.

We do not care much for Princess so try & book other lines.

I spoke to a officer on the Oasis last year year & asked him about it. We took our first cruise on A Royal ship there about 35 years ago.

He said that they just cannot fill the ships there & until there is more demand, it will not happen.

I totally understand what he says.

We are on the Princess 'standby' list & they are always advertising to fill their ships.

We took a Holland America cruise at the beginning of last November out of San Diego. We booked a flash sale 3 weeks before sailing.

We got a full suite on the back corner of the ship with a wraparound balcony for $899. per person.

Royal would never lower themselves to do that so they do not want to be put in that position.