Really ridiculous.

Dixie1337

Dixie1337. I just went through something kinda like what you are experiencing. Had some OBC gift certificates applied and it ended up getting all screwed up and showing I now owed $100. Well after final payment was due. I also freaked out a bit, call a few times, was told everything would be worked out. I eventually sent an email to mbayley@rccl.com explaining what was going on. Nelson Frau from Mr. Bayley's office emailed me back a few hours later, said he was on it and he was. Was fixed in a day or so. And he called me back to check up, said he was sorry and gave me another $100 OBC for my troubles. You might email them too.

Thank you!! This is great info & I appreciate it!

Good luck, I know the anxiety you are feeling. Even though I knew I was right someone on their end could still cancel it at any time since it was after final payment due and showed I owed a balance. Everyone kept assuring me that it was noted but for some reason could not fix the balance showing issue. I just didn't want to take that chance so close to my cruise.

A couple of thoughts over a belated first coffee.

As those booking through a TA can't see their account on the website, do they also have these types of mistakes occurring but simply aren't aware of it? Ignorance is bliss, so maybe everyone who books directly and is paid up should refrain from looking at their account and instead simply look forward to their cruise.

Which brings me to the following question: has anyone ever arrived at the port ready to embark, only to find out that their booking was cancelled due to one of these errors? As I don't recall having read any first hand or even anecdotal information on such an occurrence, it seems these glitches get straightened away in advance of embarkation.

A couple of thoughts over a belated first coffee.

As those booking through a TA can't see their account on the website, do they also have these types of mistakes occurring but simply aren't aware of it? Ignorance is bliss, so maybe everyone who books directly and is paid up should refrain from looking at their account and instead simply look forward to their cruise.

When you have a TA, the TA takes care of it, so you never have to worry about it.

I work in IT (was a programmer for many years - past 15+ years in QA). I can't get over how poorly someone is testing their application. It'd be very interesting to know if they outsource their IT - and if so, to where and what consulting firm.

I work in IT (was a programmer for many years - past 15+ years in QA). I can't get over how poorly someone is testing their application. It'd be very interesting to know if they outsource their IT - and if so, to where and what consulting firm.

I have always suspected that they have some defensive programming in the website, to make it harder for people (and automated programs) to do price checks, and this messes up the operation for many of us.

I have always suspected that they have some defensive programming in the website, to make it harder for people (and automated programs) to do price checks, and this messes up the operation for many of us.

For the heck of it, I checked glassdoor.com for reviews - focusing on those from IT. There appears to be morale issues. One person posted that managers favor "those from their own country" (so not sure if that means they have visa employees - and/or consultants). Some reviews mentioned problems with work/life balance - with a lot of overtime and some weekend work. Here's a few example reviews that appear to be from IT staff....

"Work life balance in IT is a thing of the past."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miramar, FL

Doesn't Recommend

Neutral Outlook

No opinion of CEO

I have been working at Royal Caribbean Cruises full-time

Pros

Benefits are good and most co-workers are helpful and accountable.

Cons

Over the last year, Executive Management shows loyalty to the shareholders, but not the employees. Morale is very low!

Advice to Management

Appreciate your IT workers. The repetitive saying about being onboard with the vision or leave is really getting old! If all the IT workers decided to walk out, what would you have?

"The IT Department and "the Business" Are At Odds"

Current Employee - Java Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Doesn't Recommend

Positive Outlook

No opinion of CEO

I have been working at Royal Caribbean Cruises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free cruises, if you enjoy cruising.

Cons

A reputation for providing poor compensation is well deserved. The business and the IT department are both physically and philosophically separated. Management often does not have a technical background so it can make certain conversations difficult. Expect long hours.

"Great Experiences & People, Poor Management"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Miramar, FL

Doesn't Recommend

Positive Outlook

Disapproves of CEO

I worked at Royal Caribbean Cruises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great experiences, big ideas and a fast paced environment. Some really good people who are willing to go above and beyond to see you succeed.

Cons

Poor execution of ideas, bad management of time and resources. Toxic people who only come to work for a paycheck and stand in the way of innovation and progress.

Advice to Management

Establish a long term strategy and stick to it. Keep employees engaged, don't ignore the results of the survey's that are pushed hard and then tucked under the rug when the results aren't positive. Commit to your employees success and trim out those who aren't willing to improve themselves.

I had similar issues on my 3rd, 4th, and 5th bookings. Whenever I went into "My Cruise" it would change the price of the cruise to the current price. This was a few years ago. After a lengthy call to C&A, I received a call from an IT manager. I walked him through my issue. He called me back after 30mins and said "I fixed your problem. You'll never have this issue again."

Since then.....no issues. Do they need to fix each account one at a time?

I wonder how many people assume that they forgot the amount and just pay Royal the money? Never seems to be in the passengers favor.......

For the heck of it, I checked glassdoor.com for reviews - focusing on those from IT........

Establish a long term strategy and stick to it. Keep employees engaged, don't ignore the results of the survey's that are pushed hard and then tucked under the rug when the results aren't positive. Commit to your employees success and trim out those who aren't willing to improve themselves.

Well at least we now know what happens to out post cruise customer surveys.:D

I'm curious to know if anayone has shown up at the pier only to find out that their reservation had been cancelled due to non payment when in fact it had been paid in full. Most folks (except us CC'ers) don't even think to look at their bookings after it is all paid up.

I'm curious to know if anayone has shown up at the pier only to find out that their reservation had been cancelled due to non payment when in fact it had been paid in full. Most folks (except us CC'ers) don't even think to look at their bookings after it is all paid up.

This will be tough to find out since everyone who reads this is a CC'er.:p

I've said this more than once, but I have to say it again.....For a company that depends so greatly on online bookings and ordering to have such a horrendous IT department is embarrassing.

I don't know how the newbies ever figure anything out.

I am a 27 year veteran with RCCL and have used a TA each and every time and always will for these sited reason.

Yes they do, to an elementary school in India. However, I don't know which city nor the name of the school.

You're being an baby. Adults handle things logically. When you made your reservation you had to of received an invoice. When you made final payment. You also received another invoice.

Follow me so far? Wouldn't you have a paper trail showing a PIF. Why is this the end of the world. Easy to remediate. If you act accordingly. But it had to be posted like it was a direct FU only to your bank account. Let me know when it's resolved. Or are you now seeking compensatory damages?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This has to be the most trollish post I've seen on these boards.

It's clear from OP's post that they are confident that the issue will be straightened out, but is rightly miffed to have to waste paying for a cruise they already paid for.

We buy A LOT of stuff from a lot of different vendors. Easily 50,000 transactions during my adult lifetime. Can count on one hand the number of times a vendor asked me for more money after I had paid them in full.

It's sloppy, unprofessional and no customer should have to tolerate it.

OP has given no indication that they are looking for compensation for their time and aggravation - but they are at least due an apology from RCCL.

This has to be the most trollish post I've seen on these boards.

It's clear from OP's post that they are confident that the issue will be straightened out, but is rightly miffed to have to waste paying for a cruise they already paid for.

We buy A LOT of stuff from a lot of different vendors. Easily 50,000 transactions during my adult lifetime. Can count on one hand the number of times a vendor asked me for more money after I had paid them in full.

It's sloppy, unprofessional and no customer should have to tolerate it.

OP has given no indication that they are looking for compensation for their time and aggravation - but they are at least due an apology from RCCL.

I don't know if it is the most trollish, but it is rather harshly worded.

Update for anyone interested:

I tried to last a week before I resorted to using the email address suggested, but I only made it 2 days. I've been having a lot of personal problems and topping it off with problems with the cruise booking was was just too much stress.

Anyway, I'm glad I broke down and emailed because about 2 hours later I got a call from someone at executive guest relations and he actually explained what caused this bug, and while it is in my opinion a really dumb bug, at least having an explanation made me feel less confused and worried.

Basically, for whatever reason, they were having issues getting the refund to go through to my credit card (I did notice a bunch of $0 authorizations on my cc which I had assumed was the bank's system not showing negative numbers but I guess was the failed refunds). When this happened, it was showing the money they owed ME as money I owed THEM. It sounds like someone in their IT department forgot to add a minus and put a plus somewhere. Apparently this is a common problem and happening a lot.

Executive guest relations has been calling me often and keeping me up to date on the progress of getting this resolved, which goes a long long way to making me less anxious. It also helps that I don't have to sit on hold any more.

It's not something I can just ignore. Because of the fact that I have a fake balance owing (which is actually money they owe me) I can't print my set sail. I'm down to $162 owing from over $1400, so they're making progress.

They also told me that while the bug I'm experiencing is similar to the one that's been cancelling reservations, it's not the same and my booking won't be cancelled. I still don't feel entirely reassured because I feel like if they knew what caused the bug in the system that causes cancelled reservations it would already be permanently fixed, but at least someone is monitoring my booking.

Fingers crossed this is all sorted out for good on monday.

Fingers also crossed their IT department one day actually fixes some of their bugs instead of just creating more.

As an IT person, and in particular in QA, hearing this stuff drives me nuts!

I work as a web applications developer at a multi billion dollar company, and I can tell you that if our invoicing system had an issue like this everyone involved in that aspect of that particular project would work on the issue non stop until it was identified and resolved and the solution moved to production. I really do not get the feeling that Royal Caribbean's IT department has the same sense of urgency for bugs of this nature.... But then they also seem to keep making money.

Glad sending an email helped!! Since I used a TA I'm hesitant to use the email myself as I'm not supposed to contact the cruise line on my own behalf. Such slow progress over here, zero updates in 2 weeks!! We cruise SO soon and they've still held onto almost $1400 of my money for 5 months. Anxiety might kill me before the cruise. :)