Celebrity v Princess

geordiebing

One difference you will notice is that there are certain venues that are off limits unless you are "Concierge" or "Aqua" class passengers. Except for one small restaurant at breakfast, there is no such "class" separation on Princess.

I do not believe there are any venues available to concierge class only.

I was interested to read what has been submitted. We have booked our first Princess cruise for 2018. We only booked this cruise (1) no flying across country to catch the ship (2) going to Hawaii and Tahiti. This is a 28 night cruise and I am hoping that our experience will be great.

I usually cruise with Princess but always thought Celebrity was a class above.We are about to book a cruise with Celebrity April 2018 but have been put off by negative reviews about the drop in standards. Princess standards have dropped that is one of the reasons for change. Should I go ahead and book

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are long time Elite Princess cruisers who sailed on the Celebrity Reflection last week. Before I get flamed by the flag wavers here and every board has theirs. It`s just my opinion based on a single sailing. In no way am I stating everyone`s experience would be the same as mine.

We always sail in a full suite. Without question Celebrity service for suite guests far exceeds the current Princess standard for similar cabins. Celebrity clearly as a class system that Princess does not. As suite guests we were able to also sample the food from the main dining room menu while at the private suite dining room. We found the food in the main dining room very plain and rather tasteless. We tried the Mexican buffet twice to find no taco shells available. Once I tried to ask someone behind the counter for more and got a bland stare and he looked away. Turns out the cruise director was in line right behind me and did not find his actions funny. She was able to get taco shells for us.

The food over all was plentiful and generous portions to be had. Just to me not as good as Princess in quality/taste.

Overall:

Food included in cruise fare Princess wins

Ship layout Celebrity wins big nowhere did we feel crowded

Shows Princess for me is better

Crew overall Celebrity wins in a close race

Bar service Princess is quicker

Gym Princess larger more options

Specialty Restaurants Celebrity certainly has more choices. I also find theirs overpriced when comparing the two.

Both cruise lines are very good. Yesterday I cancelled (2) future Princess cruises we had upcoming We booked (2) more CS category cabins with Celebrity in their place while on board the Reflection.

For anything less than a full suite I rate the two cruise lines as a push. Its more about the destination than which line at that point. Happy cruising which ever ship you choose.

I've done one each, so perhaps I'm not the best judge. And also it was an M class on celebrity so maybe that didn't help either. But I enjoyed princess much more and thought it was better all around. I was honestly less than impressed with the crew on celebrity, which really surprised me. Hoping the next one will be better.

I can honestly say that the royal class buffet set up was one of my least favourite in both layout and quality of food. We avoided at all costs on the Regal last year as a result. Funny how we all have such different experiences and preferences. It felt like a hospital cafeteria to me and I remember remarking same the first time we went. Also didn't like the long galley style set up through the middle with the coffee and pastries. Thought that was most bizarre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can understand preferences. (Some people say they like Carnival buffet. We went on Carnival Dream with grandkids. Great fun with them, but the buffet was strongly reminiscent of my high school cafeteria!)

But actual beverage service to the table (full on Royal class, somewhat on other Princess) adds a lot to the experience. (Yes, it's a recent addition.) Non-existent on Celebrity Reflection.

I echo the opinions referenced in most posts. Indeed, X & Princess are more similar, than different.

I'm Elite on Celebrity and Platinum on Princess.

Both, Cruise Lines offer a terrific Product.

I've sailed many Trans Atlantics and extended B-T-B with both lines.

I would give a slight edge to X on food and Princess for on board activities.

Both, lines attracted a similar demographic.

That, said, I love X Aqua Class.

Princess has nothing like it.

Yes, they're trying with a roped off restricted dining section in the MDR.

But, it's Not Blu.

Itinerary & Pricing drive most cruise decisions.

And, I feel, if one line offers a 'better' or more desirable itinerary, then book it!

In the past, few years, myself and other CC Members have noted that 's X's Big, Better and Best Promotions offer better

'value' for your cruise dollar, than Princess.

Base rates for most cabins on both lines are fairly equal.

But, Princess has resisted offering a Beverage Promotion on most sailings.

I'm far from a lush, but love fresh OJ, Specialty Coffee, water, a beer at the pool, a before dinner cocktail and a glass of wine with dinner.

At, the end of the day, choose the Line that offers 'you' what you seeking in a cruise experience!

For, Me, it's X...

I usually cruise with Princess but always thought Celebrity was a class above.We are about to book a cruise with Celebrity April 2018 but have been put off by negative reviews about the drop in standards. Princess standards have dropped that is one of the reasons for change. Should I go ahead and book

What is it that you now don't like about Princess? Once we have your answer we can let you know how Celebrity would compare.

There are two or three individuals loitering around the Celebrity forum taking every opportunity to bash Celebrity at present. A couple have stated that they will not sail with X again yet waste away their lives on here telling people how bad the line is.

Also watch out for the "It's not what it used to be brigade....". Some of these people have sailed too much and without realising have allowed themselves to become obsessed with comparisons rather than just relaxing and enjoying their holiday. Also ignore comments such as "It's ok for those that don't know better, but it's not good enough for me" remarks. Seriously, these people have sadly forgotten how to enjoy themselves.

The best advise I can give you is this says more about their own mental well being than it does about the service on Celebrity so ignore them.

In fact try and ignore both the top and bottom 10% of reviews you can then ignore the blatant cheerleaders and trolls and get a more balanced opinion. Take a look at the reviews on the main site too and compare overall satisfaction scores between the X ships and others you were thinking of sailing and make up your own mind. :)

i echo the opinions referenced in most posts. Indeed, x & princess are more similar, than different.

I'm elite on celebrity and platinum on princess.

Both, cruise lines offer a terrific product.

I've sailed many trans atlantics and extended b-t-b with both lines.

I would give a slight edge to x on food and princess for on board activities.

Both, lines attracted a similar demographic.

That, said, i love x aqua class.

Princess has nothing like it.

Yes, they're trying with a roped off restricted dining section in the mdr.

But, it's not blu.

Itinerary & pricing drive most cruise decisions.

And, i feel, if one line offers a 'better' or more desirable itinerary, then book it!

In the past, few years, myself and other cc members have noted that 's x's big, better and best promotions offer better

'value' for your cruise dollar, than princess.

Base rates for most cabins on both lines are fairly equal.

But, princess has resisted offering a beverage promotion on most sailings.

I'm far from a lush, but love fresh oj, specialty coffee, water, a beer at the pool, a before dinner cocktail and a glass of wine with dinner.

At, the end of the day, choose the line that offers 'you' what you seeking in a cruise experience!

For, me, it's x...

well done!

comparing princess royal class to celebrity solstice class:

-specialty dining - both P and C are equivalent.

Please tell what restaurant on Princess is an equivalent to Murano on Celebrity?

Thank you

You want the truth? There is nothing comparable on Princess! And there is nothing comparable to Qsine! As to Princess, we have always (for over 20 years) been underwhelmed by their alternative restaurant choices. On the other hand, Celebrity has nothing really comparable to the International Cafe! The point is that these are different cruise lines, each with their own pros and cons.

Hank

I don't see any reason not to try Celebrity. You will find it quite similar to Princess and also different in some ways - certainly the specialty restaurants on Celebrity are very nice. If you can be in a suite, I think you will especially like this cruise line.

You want the truth? There is nothing comparable on Princess! And there is nothing comparable to Qsine! As to Princess, we have always (for over 20 years) been underwhelmed by their alternative restaurant choices. On the other hand, Celebrity has nothing really comparable to the International Cafe! The point is that these are different cruise lines, each with their own pros and cons.

Hank

Hank, I always value your opinion and completely agree that specialty restaurants are very different and the last time I was on Princess about 6-7 years ago IC was very enjoyable. But, till last December cruise, I really enjoyed BLU. There are pros and cons for every cruise and ship.

The international cafe is pretty much exactly the same.

The International Cafe on Princess and Al Bacio on Celebrity aren't at all alike.

We love the International Cafe which offers a complimentary selection of sandwiches, salads, light fare, and a couple of pastries. Unfortunately there is no real dedicated seating.

We love Al Bacio which offers a complimentary large selection of pastries, cakes, pies, and cookies with a large, extra cost selection of premium coffees and teas. These are served in a coffee bistro setting with plenty of dedicated seating and a nice view of the ocean.

Both good but entirely different.

But actual beverage service to the table (full on Royal class, somewhat on other Princess) adds a lot to the experience. (Yes, it's a recent addition.) Non-existent on Celebrity Reflection.

We are just off Royal, & that was evident in Horizon Court on our sailing. Regardless if it was breakfast, lunch, or dinner, there was always someone asking to take your order, whether it be a cocktail, wine, or just a water Definitely not the case on our last few Celebrity sailings, although it used to be. We also enjoyed that silverware/napkins are preset at every table, & replaced in a timely manner.

Another thing I found on our Royal sailing is that even though we did not have beverage package, we never once had to sign for a drink, & in most cases, they looked at your portfolio #, gave your card back, & happily brought your beverage. We also liked that you could immediately look on your phone, tablet, or your TV and get an up to the minute look at your charges up to then.

I think both lines are more similar that alike, providing an experience that we prefer. IMO, if you enjoy Celebrity, you will enjoy Princess.

comparing princess royal class to celebrity solstice class:

-specialty dining - both P and C are equivalent.

Please tell what restaurant on Princess is an equivalent to Murano on Celebrity?

Thank you

Crown Grill/Sabatini's are not in the same league as Murano/Tuscan. The food is good, but the steaks on the Regal were at best "Select" & were "Choice" in Celebrity. Tuscan actually offered "Prime" grade for an addition up charge of about $28.(Eclipse)Another thing I like about Celebrity..I just like the cloth hand towels offered in Celebrity restrooms, just a nice touch.

In the past, few years, myself and other CC Members have noted that 's X's Big, Better and Best Promotions offer better 'value' for your cruise dollar, than Princess.

I disagree about the value of the Big/Better/Best packages.

Looking at a 12 day cruise I have booked for this November, the difference between Better (2 perks) and Best (4 perks) is not at all worth the price.

If I have the Better (picking beverage package and Internet) and want to instead upgrade to Best (adding tips and $150 OBC), the cost difference is $540/person.

Yet the value of the the tips and OBC only adds up to $312. Why would I want to pay $540 for $312 worth of amenities?

The International Cafe on Princess and Al Bacio on Celebrity aren't at all alike.

We love the International Cafe which offers a complimentary selection of sandwiches, salads, light fare, and a couple of pastries. Unfortunately there is no real dedicated seating.

We love Al Bacio which offers a complimentary large selection of pastries, cakes, pies, and cookies with a large, extra cost selection of premium coffees and teas. These are served in a coffee bistro setting with plenty of dedicated seating and a nice view of the ocean.

Both good but entirely different.

The non dedicated seating in the international café didn't bother us(The Regal)we did find the sandwiches & pastries to be strong on attractiveness, but quite short on taste.

I disagree about the value of the Big/Better/Best packages.

Looking at a 12 day cruise I have booked for this November, the difference between Better (2 perks) and Best (4 perks) is not at all worth the price.

If I have the Better (picking beverage package and Internet) and want to instead upgrade to Best (adding tips and $150 OBC), the cost difference is $540/person.

Yet the value of the the tips and OBC only adds up to $312. Why would I want to pay $540 for $312 worth of amenities?

BEST upgrades the beverage package from Classic to Premium. Did you include that in your calculation?

As much as I enjoy Al Bacio, nothing beats the sandwiches and salads available 24/7 in the International Cafe

I agree, after cruising on Princess ships with an International Cafe, it was a major disappointment to find that Al Bacio only offered sweet selections.