Getting Bumped from your Cabin?

johnjen

ok i joined

You've successfully completed your Crown & Anchor Society enrollment process. You'll begin enjoying special privileges right away. Personalized service. Preferential treatment. Everything you need to have the cruise vacation experience of a lifetime.

so what special privileges and preferential treatment do i get :p

i know to come here and ask vs looking on the website.

Do you see your Upgrade Preferences setting in your Profile now? Not sure if that appears before you are Gold level.

If you have not completed any cruises with Royal Caribbean, then you won't get any perks.

The point made of having 2 people reserved in a cabin for 3 or 4 is correct & can get you bumped. I've never had an aft balcony but here is what I've heard you can do & in fact, I was told this on our last cruise by someone who booked a corner aft balcony for just two. It worked for them.

1. Add a third person.

2. Pay the minimum required.

3. Drop the 3rd person right before or at due date.

4. Receive your paid monies back.

5. The cabin is yours.

Not sure that is would work as I almost did it by "accident" and it was not working out this way.

We are a party of three and had a corner aft booked, right before final my wife was thinking she might have to back out but that my son and I could go without her. Called into RCI to ask what would happen and was informed that dropping from 3 to 2 would mean that I would have to move from the E1 cabin to the E2 cabin class, losing the corner balcony and incurring a reprice ... at which point my new 2 person cabin was going to cost more than my original 3 person cabin. I decided at that point that we would be better off just having her do a no-show if it came to it and at least getting her taxes & fees refunded rather than paying more for a lesser cabin.

Ended up being a non-issue as she was able to go so I cant state that the above "did" happen only that I was told it "would " happen if I followed through on dropping the 3rd person before final payment.

Yes, and it seems to be bigger than the upgrade dept.:p
Also about your previous post and upsells. The prices is very different then NCL. With Royal you just sit and wait and maybe they will call you and offer you a gpbetter cabin for more money. It is still very rare that it happens. Not like at NCL where you can bid on cabins.

Approx Spring 2016, RCL started to adopt an upsell system whereby they would call cruisers in order of their Crown & Anchor status. On Legend, a sailing that combined a perfect storm for me (spring break, so not many high points cruisers that sail at this time, older ship thus less long time cruisers, etc etc etc) turned out that I was high up on the list as far as cruisers with status on that specific sailing.

RCL revenue called my TA, who then called me and said I was next in line. For $300 total (3 people on a 10 day Southern) I was upgraded from a K int to a balcony... any balcony!!! I was able to choose an aft :D:D:D

I then sailed with other C&A members who were on this trip and they were called as well, several of them did not "upgrade" as they were in specific cabins they wanted. I know "JudyGarland" on CC did not take the upgrade (they were ahead of me in points) but ColoradoGirl did (if memory serves me right she was solo in an interior and was offered a balcony as well). I figure a few higher level C&A declined as they already had balconies, or cabins in specific positions, and the call came to me. Wow was I ever grateful!!!

Now on larger ships, more popular ships sailing at popular times, the chances of me as Diamond+ getting an upsell are likely zero. On my latest Harmony sailing there were almost 300 D+ and I believe 13 PNs, so for RCCL to have any empty cabins and work their way down to me with maybe 300 cruisers ahead of me... well, you get the picture.

So for the OP to get an "upgrade" for whatever reason.... maybe? Enticing a new cruiser to stick with Royal?

But for an upsell, as a new gold,I doubt it (I want to say never, but have learned "never to say never")

Who knows... seems like we find out about new rules and new things all the time here on CC.

Do you see your Upgrade Preferences setting in your Profile now? Not sure if that appears before you are Gold level.

If you have not completed any cruises with Royal Caribbean, then you won't get any perks.

no updates other then blank member status and new member number there under all the other headings.

i tried to add other household member and it says someone already added. but she isnt on my profile by name. weird. i wanna make sure she gets the points too

no updates other then blank member status and new member number there under all the other headings.

i tried to add other household member and it says someone already added. but she isnt on my profile by name. weird. i wanna make sure she gets the points too

Call C&A if you continue to have trouble with the website. If by chance someone does not get points for a cruise by 2 weeks after the cruise, call C&A and they can fix it.

So if you've got an aft JS booked that can accommodate 3 - and you're only 2 people - and you're within a couple weeks of your cruise, you can be bumped/moved to a different JS if you don't have the 'no upgrade' checked in your C&A preferences?

Or would you have to be upgraded to a GS or above?

We're currently booked in 1394 aft Voyager class, and I'd be upset if we were moved to a different JS...but wouldn't be if it was a GS.

So if you've got an aft JS booked that can accommodate 3 - and you're only 2 people - and you're within a couple weeks of your cruise, you can be bumped/moved to a different JS if you don't have the 'no upgrade' checked in your C&A preferences?

Or would you have to be upgraded to a GS or above?

We're currently booked in 1394 aft Voyager class, and I'd be upset if we were moved to a different JS...but wouldn't be if it was a GS.

Don't assume anything in my humble opinion. The cruise contract we all sign has wording regarding this. However after reading about a few experiences here on CC in the last year, no matter what if you do not want to move cabins for any reason just have that "do not upgrade" checked off in your profile. At the very least they'll move to the next cabin (and the next, and the next, etc) and hopefully find someone to bump who would prefer "an auto upgrade". That way when there's fallout the blame goes directly to the cruiser for "wanting" the upgrade automatically without being informed.

edit: and just came to mind.... all JS's can accommodate more than 2, so being bumped for this reason doesn't make sense for a JS.

Don't assume anything in my humble opinion. The cruise contract we all sign has wording regarding this. However after reading about a few experiences here on CC in the last year, no matter what if you do not want to move cabins for any reason just have that "do not upgrade" checked off in your profile. At the very least they'll move to the next cabin (and the next, and the next, etc) and hopefully find someone to bump who would prefer "an auto upgrade". That way when there's fallout the blame goes directly to the cruiser for "wanting" the upgrade automatically without being informed.

edit: and just came to mind.... all JS's can accommodate more than 2, so being bumped for this reason doesn't make sense for a JS.

Ok, so moving someone from an aft JS to *another* JS therefore doesn't sound plausible as there's no way they could spin this as an 'upgrade.'

I don't know how I was able to book this particular aft cabin within a month of the cruise - at first I thought it was in error as they're usually some of the first to be booked.

I thought about changing my C&A preference to 'no upgrade' but figured the worse they could do to me is move me to a GS under the pool deck...which I realize will probably never happen ...but I'd be ok with.

But this thread is making me think I should change it just in case.

I don't know how I was able to book this particular aft cabin within a month of the cruise - at first I thought it was in error as they're usually some of the first to be booked.

They are... and then they are cancelled by the many cruisers who book them on day one the itinerary is made available. These cruisers "reserve" ten/twenty/thirty/etc cruises only to cancel/or get upgraded/upsold to a GS/or who knows and move their deposit to a different ship when they finally decide what they're doing.

With a GTY W on Vision I scored the coveted wrap-around corner aft 8588 within about 50 days of sailing.

Most recently on my Adventure sailing last Aug, again I booked a W guarantee and was assigned a forward cabin on deck 9. Within about 2 weeks one of the coveted aft JS's 1694 came available for whatever reason. I snagged it right away (after emailing Merion_mom for advice of whether to change or not... she thought I was probably nuts to even have to ask:p)

It happens :)

Hoopster95...A bit of incorrect info provided in your "edit". Not all JS on RCI accommodate 3+ passengers...there are many that will only hold 2...check out the deckplans....So being bumped from one of these is possible ;)

Not sure that is would work as I almost did it by "accident" and it was not working out this way.

We are a party of three and had a corner aft booked, right before final my wife was thinking she might have to back out but that my son and I could go without her. Called into RCI to ask what would happen and was informed that dropping from 3 to 2 would mean that I would have to move from the E1 cabin to the E2 cabin class, losing the corner balcony and incurring a reprice ... at which point my new 2 person cabin was going to cost more than my original 3 person cabin. I decided at that point that we would be better off just having her do a no-show if it came to it and at least getting her taxes & fees refunded rather than paying more for a lesser cabin.

Ended up being a non-issue as she was able to go so I cant state that the above "did" happen only that I was told it "would " happen if I followed through on dropping the 3rd person before final payment.

They would have indeed moved you if they needed to.We are going to have some "no-shows" and wouldn't take the chance loosing any of the four aft boardwalk cabins (right next to each other) we have. The price I paid when the bookings opened..it's still a great deal.

Hoopster95...A bit of incorrect info provided in your "edit". Not all JS on RCI accommodate 3+ passengers...there are many that will only hold 2...check out the deckplans....So being bumped from one of these is possible ;)

Double assent on that. NOT all junior suites accommodate more than two passengers. MANY are for only 2.

Sad but true. They *could* have made every JS sofa a sofabed but they didn't.

Double assent on that. NOT all junior suites accommodate more than two passengers. MANY are for only 2.

Sad but true. They *could* have made every JS sofa a sofabed but they didn't.

Ah my mistake... I was initially responding to luckyinpa who's sailing Anthem and thought we were still talking about Q Class.. I just quickly rechecked deck plans and I don't think there's 2 person JS's on Q class is there? Am I wrong there too? I see now I totally missed in krewzin's post that he/she was asking about Voyager class JS's :) Regardless, my JS experience is basically zero compared to you guys so I'll be quiet with JS discussions! :cool:;)

Do you see your Upgrade Preferences setting in your Profile now? Not sure if that appears before you are Gold level.If you have not completed any cruises with Royal Caribbean, then you won't get any perks.

just as an aside, i was looking in the C and A fine print and found a direct link to the upgrade page. then i logged in. it gave me some kind of error 'cannot do this now' or something like that

so indeed newbies cant set upgrade preferences

just as an aside, i was looking in the C and A fine print and found a direct link to the upgrade page. then i logged in. it gave me some kind of error 'cannot do this now' or something like that so indeed newbies cant set upgrade preferences

Thanks for the feedback.

Check your upgrade preference under your profile on the RCI website. If you marked automatic upgrade, you could possibly loose your prikm

Thanks so much! I never looked there before and there it was.....nothing was filled in. I clicked 'I do not wish to upgrade.'

Reason is good enough...we're in an aft on Brilliance and it looks so wonderful. This will be my first Med cruise non-US Navy so yeah, a VERY big deal!!!

Check your upgrade preference under your profile on the RCI website. If you marked automatic upgrade, you could possibly loose your prikm

I looked everywhere for the upgrade preferences on the RCI website. Any clue where that is specifically? Apparently I'm clueless.

We were asked to change cabins 4 days before cruising with the promise of $200 on board credit and another Jr. Suite with a larger balcony on the hump. The reason given was they needed Cabin 8626 for a family of 4. My friend and I experienced many headaches with the resulting confusion. Luggage tags had to be re-printed at the port. Sea Passes were provided with no evidence of the pre-paid Deluxe Drink Package. All reservations, dining packages and pre-paid special food and wine did not transfer with our cabin re-assignment. It took multiple trips to Guest Services and the intervention of an anonymous high-ranking RC person to get us our orders.

Until RC changes their process to book items under reservation number and not cabin number....I will not allow a "bump" voluntarily again.

I looked everywhere for the upgrade preferences on the RCI website. Any clue where that is specifically? Apparently I'm clueless.

You have to log in to the RCCL website. click on Crown and Anchor on the right and then click on member login. Then on the left go to your profile and click on upgrade preferences

We were asked to change cabins 4 days before cruising with the promise of $200 on board credit and another Jr. Suite with a larger balcony on the hump. The reason given was they needed Cabin 8626 for a family of 4. My friend and I experienced many headaches with the resulting confusion. Luggage tags had to be re-printed at the port. Sea Passes were provided with no evidence of the pre-paid Deluxe Drink Package. All reservations, dining packages and pre-paid special food and wine did not transfer with our cabin re-assignment. It took multiple trips to Guest Services and the intervention of an anonymous high-ranking RC person to get us our orders.

Until RC changes their process to book items under reservation number and not cabin number....I will not allow a "bump" voluntarily again.

That's unfortunate that this happened as it should have been seamless. We were in a similar situation in January where we moved cabins and everything was transferred without a problem. Our existing reservation numbers were kept and just a new cabin number was added. All the on board show and dinner reservations stayed with our original reservation number. The only thing I had to do was print new luggage tags, which I had to cut and paste the new cabin number onto the old tag as they could not get those resent prior to us travelling.

Well at least they asked first; I'm guessing the reason is because they made a 'sideways' move for you (JS to JS) rather than an upgrade.