Q &A With Orlando on the World Cruise

Thanks for the information.

What is American test kitchen?

January, 2017 on the Nieuw Amsterdam: This was an initial roll out, at least on this ship, of the programming and space used in the formerly known as the Culinary Arts Center in the Queen's Lounge. I attended the first presentation and really could not see much difference from what had been presented before except that a non-HAL staff member was not involved in the program, i.e. hosting the presentation.

Thanks for the information.

What is American test kitchen?

America's Test Kitchen is a tv program on PBS ( public television). A chef trained by ATK does the cooking demos and classes onboard. It started with the Westerdam in Oct/16. The NA was next to get it. The remaining ships should get it this year. While the demos are similar to what was presented under the CAC, I thought ATK covered the subject (chocolate) better.

Orlando was on board with his family on the Amsterdam. He did a Q & A

Holland is not going to build a small ship to replace the Prinsendam.

The Library on the Koningsdam will be made larger.

Holland has a partnership with American test kitchen.

Oprah agreement

Guess that makes it clear in the direction that they are going. :(. Of course, he didn't say if they wouldn't buy a ship to replace her. After all, HAL didn't build the Prinsendam either ;).

America's Test Kitchen is a tv program on PBS ( public television). A chef trained by ATK does the cooking demos and classes onboard. It started with the Westerdam in Oct/16. The NA was next to get it. The remaining ships should get it this year. While the demos are similar to what was presented under the CAC, I thought ATK covered the subject (chocolate) better.

Thank you for your reply.

America's Test Kitchen must be a program on cable TV's food channel which I don't watch.

My guess, and it is only my guess, is that the cost of paying the Staff member who hosted the Culinary Arts programs and then also hosted the Sip and Savor Programs in the late afternoons (among whatever she did of which I am not aware) is saved. Also, any on-board Chef or Guest Chef will not be needed for such programs.

On Nieuw Amsterdam's 12/27/16 cruise, at Sip and Savor, the woman responsible for the Culinary Arts Program was the hostess for the Sip and Savor event. Great job, she did. The new CD became the hostess for Sip and Savor and joined the ship on 1/6/17, when the change in programming was made, she did not make me want to return for other sessions. And, I didn't.

The supercilious Cellar Master didn't encourage my attendance either.

America's Test Kitchen must be a program on cable TV's food channel which I don't watch.

My guess, and it is only my guess, is that the cost of paying the Staff member who hosted the Culinary Arts programs and then also hosted the Sip and Savor Programs in the late afternoons (among whatever she did of which I am not aware) is saved. Also, any on-board Chef or Guest Chef will not be needed for such programs.

On Nieuw Amsterdam's 12/27/16 cruise, at Sip and Savor, the woman responsible for the Culinary Arts Program was the hostess for the Sip and Savor event. Great job, she did. The new CD became the hostess for Sip and Savor and joined the ship on 1/6/17, when the change in programming was made, she did not make me want to return for other sessions. And, I didn't.

The supercilious Cellar Master didn't encourage my attendance either.

Who was your Cellar Master if it is ok to ask?

Attended several of these on the NA and thought the ATK was a huge improvement over prior HAL cooking demos, which were hit or miss and often very awkwardly presented. These are now more polished productions. Hope they keep them up.

ATK far more educational about techniques and food handling, with better recipes and overall better paced with more attention to camera angles for the viewing screens. Demo is interspersed with prepared videos from the ATK staff with supplemental topics or survey of best tested ingredients. But then I am also an avid reader of Cook's Magazine, so this was more familiar territory for me.

Guess that makes it clear in the direction that they are going. :(. Of course, he didn't say if they wouldn't buy a ship to replace her. After all, HAL didn't build the Prinsendam either ;).

Did they sell her while I was traveling? I would try to be on the last voyage when she goes.

Nope, PRDM is alive and well and continues to sail for HAL, currently proceeding upriver the Amazon

Every year someone asks at this meeting about HAL building smaller ships which may be where this continual rumor of the P'dam's demise may come from. She is currently booking the 2018 Grands so expect she will be here for quite a while. Remember when the president announced the Koningsdam with her specs and was totally taken aback when he was loudly booed for the number of passengers.

Did they sell her while I was traveling? I would try to be on the last voyage when she goes.

I guess I should have used the word "future" in my post. Wasn't insinuating she was sold now but commenting on the future ;).

Oprah agreement

It sounds like a typical b.s. q & a talk...

When PRDM goes in the future, my money is still on her and her grand voyages being replaced by a Seabourn ship. We shall see

I am not betting against you on this one Copper;)

I have the same suspicion. (yn) She has a big following. Time will tell.

When PRDM goes in the future, my money is still on her and her grand voyages being replaced by a Seabourn ship. We shall see

As the current Seabourn fleet is virtually brand new are you saying they will enter a marketing partnership to "move over" the P-dam client base to Seabourn, or that they will transfer one of those ships to HAL? I cannot really see either.

I see the R class ships backfilling the S class and Prinsendam voyages as the new Pinnacle class vessels arrive. The Vista class will then backfill for the R class and so on. I look at HAL staying even in the number of ships in the fleet but providing growth via larger vessels for the next 7-10 years.

I suspect the S class will be transferred within the Carnival Corp to another line as the next two Pinnacle class ships arrive, and that the Prinsendam will continue on with HAL until she is permanently retired. How long before that happens depends on the cost to keep her up to safety, mechanical and guest satisfaction standards as compared to the revenue she can command within the HAL fleet.

To those in the "know" how much serviceable life is realistic for the Prinsendam, as she is approaching 30 years in service as of now? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years?

Oprah agreement

Did he say anything about keeping (or replacing) the libraries on the other ships?

As the current Seabourn fleet is virtually brand new are you saying they will enter a marketing partnership to "move over" the P-dam client base to Seabourn, or that they will transfer one of those ships to HAL? I cannot really see either.

I see the R class ships backfilling the S class and Prinsendam voyages as the new Pinnacle class vessels arrive. The Vista class will then backfill for the R class and so on. I look at HAL staying even in the number of ships in the fleet but providing growth via larger vessels for the next 7-10 years.

I suspect the S class will be transferred within the Carnival Corp to another line as the next two Pinnacle class ships arrive, and that the Prinsendam will continue on with HAL until she is permanently retired. How long before that happens depends on the cost to keep her up to safety, mechanical and guest satisfaction standards as compared to the revenue she can command within the HAL fleet.

To those in the "know" how much serviceable life is realistic for the Prinsendam, as she is approaching 30 years in service as of now? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years?

I am not in the "know" so I can't hep you on the life of the Prinsendam. I do know that some maintenance is difficult to do quickly. Her windows have to be specially made (for example) so when the Crow's Nest Window got broken it took a number of months to get it replaced. Not because HAL was negligent but because it had to be specially made and installed.

DH and I had a very interesting chat with the Staff Captain on some of the challenges of replacing some of the items on the ship.

As to her age - it might surprise some to find out how old some of the aircraft are that they are flying. A number are older than the Prinsendam. What counts is how they (and she) are maintained.

I'm sorry, but I do not recall his name. He was Cellar Master on Prinsendam December, 2015 and January, 2016. I remembered him that cruise.

No worries ;). Thanks for taking the time to answer.

What I'm saying/speculating is that when PRDM goes, I expect her to stay until 2020-2022, there could very well be an internal transfer of one Seabourn ship to the HAL fleet, similar to what was done when PRDM, as Seabourn Sun, received an internal transfer in 2002 from Seabourn to HAL. Again, I'm speculating! PRDM is unique within the HAL fleet, both in size and pax total, and that role could be filled by a Seabourn ship,

If that doesn't happen, I agree with you that an "R" class ship, either co-flagships RTDM or AMDM, who are built for long voyages, could take PRDM place and continue the exotic voyages with her large group of followers/fans

I also agree with you that MADM and VEDM will leave as NSDM and her unnamed sister enter the fleet.

I see PRDM doing another three to five years with HAL. That will make her thirty-two to thirty five years old

Only time will tell

What I'm saying/speculating is that when PRDM goes, I expect her to stay until 2020-2022, there could very well be an internal transfer of one Seabourn ship to the HAL fleet, similar to what was done when PRDM, as Seabourn Sun, received an internal transfer in 2002 from Seabourn to HAL. Again, I'm speculating! PRDM is unique within the HAL fleet, both in size and pax total, and that role could be filled by a Seabourn ship,

If that doesn't happen, I agree with you that an "R" class ship, either co-flagships RTDM or AMDM, who are built for long voyages, could take PRDM place and continue the exotic voyages with her large group of followers/fans

I also agree with you that MADM and VEDM will leave as NSDM and her unnamed sister enter the fleet.

I see PRDM doing another three to five years with HAL. That will make her thirty-two to thirty five years old

Only time will tell

I have said on this Message Board before that I think a Seabourn vessel or a derivative of such a hull as a newbuild is a possible replacement for Prinsendam. Carnival Corporation likes to use the same hull configuration for many of their newbuilds. Thus, it makes sense to me that this is a real possibility.

Have not thought about Rotterdam or Amsterdam assuming Prinsendam's current itineraries. Both surely were built for long distance cruising and either would be satisfactory from the guest experience (other than the increase in the number of passengers). Would their draft allow these ships to visit some of the rarely visited ports that are now featured on many Prinsendam itineraries? Would Volendam/Zaandam's drafts be better for such visits?

I have said on this Message Board before that I think a Seabourn vessel or a derivative of such a hull as a newbuild is a possible replacement for Prinsendam. Carnival Corporation likes to use the same hull configuration for many of their newbuilds. Thus, it makes sense to me that this is a real possibility.

Have not thought about Rotterdam or Amsterdam assuming Prinsendam's current itineraries. Both surely were built for long distance cruising and either would be satisfactory from the guest experience (other than the increase in the number of passengers). Would their draft allow these ships to visit some of the rarely visited ports that are now featured on many Prinsendam itineraries? Would Volendam/Zaandam's drafts be better for such visits?

Don't believe any of the four "R"-class ships can make it through the Kiel or Corinth canals. The Amazon should be doable. Some of the other PRDM-specific voyages/ports, not sure